Mailchimp Transactional Email

Delivery API for transactional emails

Gedson S.

Reliable transactional email

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

We're using Mandrill for all our transactional email needs, as and endpoint in our API concentrator. It's proven to be very robust and reliable over the years.

Pros

Mandrill (now interated inside Mailchimp) has been a solid and reliable transactional email provider, with great delivery rates, very slow spam scores and ultra-fast reception speed. It provides useful and flexible reports and great dashboards too.

Cons

In order to keep it's spam reputation high it takes some effort to set up a new email domain in Mandrill. You have to prove you own the DNS and configure a SPF/DKIM record.

Jorge M.

Amazing transactional email relay

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

We've been using Mandrill as our email relay of choice for all our applications and APIs, and it has been working great in every aspect.

Pros

Very fast delivery with exceptional delivery rates;
Does a great job keeping reputation high;
Very nice dashboards and reporting;
Ability to segregate into sub-accounts;
Very easy to integrate with MTA's and API clients;
Great documentation;

Cons

Domain validation could be made simpler;
Roles and permissions should be more flexible;
Once Mandrill got integrated with Mailchimp the pricing model became less attractive;

• Industry: Consumer Services
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Take email to the next level

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

Pros

Customizable templates allow fields to be populated automatically base on predetermined algorithm. Set it up and the rest is a breeze.

Cons

Spam is always an issue. Mailing lists get old. People get annoyed. It's a tough business.

George K.

Reliable service for emails

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

Send emails reliably and cheaply to users upon transcation

Pros

Transactional emails made easy. Emails are cheap, and a good admin interface to have visibility in to what has been sent or blocked

Cons

More robust block rules would be nice. Blocked emails need to be manually removed. I understand why mandrill does this, but would be easier if there could be custom rules

Did Mailchimp stop maintaining Mandrill?

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

The API is easy to use and the templates and versatile, but it doesn't seem that the product is making any new developments

Pros

Templating system is quite versatile with the ability to send parameters with the emails using the API

Cons

- Mandrill doesn't store past emails for backup, even as a paid option
- the UI seems 10 years old, and not user friendly

Kristen Z.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Super important for sending transactional emails

Reviewed on 2020/01/31

Overall Mandrill is a system we couldn't do without. I would recommend it.

Pros

I like that my developers can take care of it and it doesn't have issues like other systems might. It's nice to have peace of mind with my emails.

Cons

It's confusing that it's tied to a MailChimp account, so on our credit card statement, it says MailChimp instead of Mandrill. It would be nice to have it labeled more specifically so I can sort out my bills more easily.

Very convenient tool for mail management

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

- Very user-friendly interface
- Analytics is great to track customers activities on emails.
- Good Dashboards

Cons

- it can be confusing to manage emails from different domains. This could be clearer in the application UI/UX.

Cristian V.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Your default transactional email service if you are a Mailchimp user

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Mandrill is good and stable, and if you use mailchimp already, I would give it a try as there are some cross-service features that make it worth.

Pros

Integrations with the mandrill side of things. Templates worked nicely and allowed faster iterations.

Cons

The interface was confusing at times. The API results were not completely visible from the administrator standpoint.

external SMTP provider for low volume transactional mailing

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Pros

Clean and good reports of the emails sent
Easy to configure
User-friendly Dashboard

Cons

Campaign and delivery Data does not last long.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Very easy to use!

Reviewed on 2021/03/31

So far we're happy with the Mandrill, it's just so easy to use and drag & drop builder works flawlessly.

Pros

Mandrill is a very reliable transactional email service, we've been using it for a while without any issues.

Cons

It's definitely not one of the cheapest options as they've increased their prices lately. We've been thinking about switching to another provider but haven't pulled the trigger yet because we've been used to using Mandrill.

D E.

Mandrill gets the job done.

Reviewed on 2017/01/09

We started using Mandrill about 18 months ago and it worked just fine for us. We used it because we were bootstrapping a company and had a need for email but it was very minimal. We needed a good free service and Mandrill fit the bill... Then they switched their policy and eliminated the free tier.

Bottom line - it's a really good service as long as you understand what you're paying for up front. We do understand the need to make money and but the transition from freemium to paid was not graceful. When we can spare the engineering effort we plan on moving away from Mandrill.

Brooke O.

No Support Now That It's Part of MailChimp

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

Pros

Mandrill is good for sending transactional emails and being able to set the emails up and forget them.

Cons

Mandrill used to have a more easy to use dashboard and interface and now that its rolled up under MailChimp, it's hard to find the things I used to be able to do.

Victor N.

Simple email transaction

Reviewed on 2016/11/10

If you are looking for simple email transaction integration with your app, Mandrill is one of the best. Though it's not longer available as an independent subscription, take advantage of Mailchimp for email marketing too. I wish the email log can be unlimited though.

Jean paul R.

Reviewed on 2016/05/11

Francois-regis A.

Reviewed on 2016/06/20

Jason A.

Reviewed on 2015/11/19

Great, while we had it!

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

Pros

I run a busy social network. Around 6,000 users total, and 300-400 online at any given time. Due to this, I needed a transactional email service that had great deliver-ability for invitations, verifications, password changes, etc. Mandrill was recommended to me, and we were completely happy with the service. Unfortunately, when they bundled Mandrill into Mailchimp, we couldn't afford it anymore.

Cons

Unfortunately, bundling services did no favors. What previously was affordable for us no longer was. While the service is great, the way the change was implemented was sudden, leaving companies little time or recourse to find other options quickly. That solidified my decision to leave- most companies would grandfather in existing members, offer a lower rate, something. They simply provided us with addresses for other services, losing customers in the process.

Umang B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great for personalized emails

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Mentioned earlier - Mandrill is great to get a high level of reaction via emails. The developers set up customized scripts to send out relevant content to our customers and partners so they are always in the loop.

Pros

Transactional Emails is really necessary in today's world, we get a much better open rate and much better interaction when we use this system rather than a simple mass email message. Totally recommend this set up, and it has the the facilities to set up everything pretty easily.

The API documentation is robust, and their service uptime is great, it does what is advertised.

Cons

The fact that I need to have a mailchimp paid account and to get into Mandrill through Mailchimp is a little weird, but it's minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't use Mailchimp, our marketing department uses an alternative, but our developers use Mandrill.

Brandon S.

Mr

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Pros

Mandrill is a powerful application that has proven useful for transactional email. They offer an API, decent reporting and storage of track/click data for 30 days.

Cons

As part of Mailchimp they now require both a Mailchimp and Mandrill subscription. I have no problem paying for Mandrill but I'm not a fan of this billing requirement as I don't need Mailchimp. Secondly, in the 2-3 years that I have been using Mandrill I have not seen a single feature release. I find this unusual. True, it works great as-is, but there are definitely areas that can be improved or features that can be added.

Ginger J.

I wish it were more like MailChimp

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

The pricing is good. We have been using it for years and the only reason we are keeping it is because we don't the pain of switching over to another vendor.

Cons

The reporting features are very weak and we don't like that we have to access MailChimp to get over into the Mandrill dashboard.

Steve E.

Great programmatic emails

Reviewed on 2018/04/05

Pros

It's got a terrific api that can send programmatic emails (like transactional emails) with ease. Great deliverability.

Cons

The UI is incredibly dated. It doesn't look like it's had any love in 5 years. Still, it works and that's what counts.

Lisa K.

Mandrill <3

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Pros

I like the ease of Mandrill, there isn't anything to complicated. Type , search , done!!

Cons

I don't think there are any issues I have ever had with Mandrill in the 3.5 years that I have been using it.

Lexx F.

Great way to track down rogue support tickets!

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

It really helps us see where a problem is happening when an end user doesn't get an email

Pros

I like that it's easy to use and to learn more about what is holding up communications with customers. It gives IP and delivery information that is easy to understand.

Cons

I wish that I could have more history for rejected and failed messages. It doesn't keep them for very long. I also wish that I could view emails that hard-bouced/were rejected in Mandrill so I could see what the customer missed out on.

Ralph D.

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Medicare service. It does the basics, nothing too fancy though.

Reviewed on 2020/01/11

Fine, that's about it. It's pretty cheap I guess, and it shows. Not sure if id's choose it again.

Pros

It does the job, and has an easy to use API. Works for the progrematic use we use it for, so we manage scheduling etc. ourselves

Cons

It's very basic, and the website looks like it's stuck in 2010. Doesn't have a lot of features like competitors may have.