Mandrill Reviews

Mandrill

Delivery API for transactional emails

4.5/5 (41 reviews)
Joshua H.

An excellent, if costly, transactional email service

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

We were experiencing spikes in bounce and spam rates with AWS's SES. We were able to switch to Mandrill in a single day and immediately saw dramatic improvement. As necessary, we later built out support for bulk sends and black list checking and scrubbing. All in all it was an easy process and a good product.

Pros

Mandrill provides a simple and well documented API and has libraries and integrations available for many major web frameworks and languages. Making use of it for simple email sends is a fast and easy process, and it provides additional functionality for black lists, white lists, bulk sends, static IPs, etc. Their dashboard makes it extremely simple to see all the emails sent to a given address along with full content and reasons why sends failed or were delayed, which is a great for debugging and testing. They also provide analytics and send, receive, open, click, and bounce rates.

Cons

The service used to be much cheaper, but costs went up sharply when it was reabsorbed back into Mailchimp. Still an excellent service, but harder to recommend without reservation.

Mandrill Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Overall, my company loves using Mandrill as a way to send out emails at one time. Our software is not set up like that so having that integrated to ensure everyone can receive our emails at once, makes our company run smoother, which in return, makes us happy!

Pros

My company uses Mandrill to mass send emails for our personality assessments that we provide for our clients! This allows our clients to assess their potentail hires. With this ability we can mass send emails periodically thorughout the day to ensure that each candidate is receving the assessment. We also have the ability to go back and check to see if the email was delivered, if they have opened it, or if they have even clicked to open the email.

Cons

One functionality that I wish moved smoother was resending of an email. When I try to resend an email that failed to deliver, it tends to make my computer run very slowly. I wish it was a bit quicker and it did not force the browser to close. This would allow me to resend the emails when they don't deliver (rare case).

Dan O.

Cost effective transactional email

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

Pros

A transactional email server is setup within minutes and available for you to send out content to your distribution list.

The application provides

- Graphs to show how many emails you're sending each day
- What countries your sending the emails to
- Open rates
- Mail clients used (useful to optimise content)
- Spam rates/unsubscribe rates
- Great delivery rates

Very cost effective.

Cons

A couple of years ago, Mandrill made it a requirement for you to have a Mailchimp subscription in order to use Mandrill. It would have been better in my opinion to keep the two applications independent, just like Sendgrid.

Whilst it doesn't make the cost materially more expensive, it does mean that you have to log into Mandrill via Mailchimp which is annoying.

Dylan E.

Perfect client for managing and sending transactional emails

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

It allows us to maintain perfect email delivery for all our companies' transactional emails and easily troubleshoot instances where emails were not delivered.

Pros

This application is an addon of MailChimp and is best suited for transactional emails (automated emails, think 'forgot my password' type emails). It allows you to easily manage your sending domains , although you have to verify these before you can send emails. The best feature by far is the ability to view all emails that were sent or failed to arrive, including the contents of the emails and the reason it bounced. This allows us to quickly troubleshoot whenever we get a support ticket regarding an email that did not arrive.

During our 6 months of using this feature, there has been zero downtime.

Cons

It is more expensive than some competitors, but its pricing model is very fair and easy to interpret. It does require you to have at least a monthly subscription with Mailchimp, and if you are not using this it is more expensive.

Trustworthy tool for delivering emails to your customers

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

Pros

Works well, haven't experienced any problems. Has an online GUI where you can easily find emails that were sent, easy to see blacklisted emails. Has a nice statistics page to see how your emails are doing overall. We've been delivering millions of emails in past year without a problem.

Cons

The PHP SDK I used was kinda outdated and it had little options to change the behaviour without manually changing the source. They should update the library to standards that are more current.

GUI where you can view emails, etc. sometimes is a but slow. The search filters could use a face-lift.

Brandon S.

Mr

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Pros

Mandrill is a powerful application that has proven useful for transactional email. They offer an API, decent reporting and storage of track/click data for 30 days.

Cons

As part of Mailchimp they now require both a Mailchimp and Mandrill subscription. I have no problem paying for Mandrill but I'm not a fan of this billing requirement as I don't need Mailchimp. Secondly, in the 2-3 years that I have been using Mandrill I have not seen a single feature release. I find this unusual. True, it works great as-is, but there are definitely areas that can be improved or features that can be added.

Gedson S.

Reliable transactional email

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

We're using Mandrill for all our transactional email needs, as and endpoint in our API concentrator. It's proven to be very robust and reliable over the years.

Pros

Mandrill (now interated inside Mailchimp) has been a solid and reliable transactional email provider, with great delivery rates, very slow spam scores and ultra-fast reception speed. It provides useful and flexible reports and great dashboards too.

Cons

In order to keep it's spam reputation high it takes some effort to set up a new email domain in Mandrill. You have to prove you own the DNS and configure a SPF/DKIM record.

Jorge M.

Amazing transactional email relay

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

We've been using Mandrill as our email relay of choice for all our applications and APIs, and it has been working great in every aspect.

Pros

Very fast delivery with exceptional delivery rates;
Does a great job keeping reputation high;
Very nice dashboards and reporting;
Ability to segregate into sub-accounts;
Very easy to integrate with MTA's and API clients;
Great documentation;

Cons

Domain validation could be made simpler;
Roles and permissions should be more flexible;
Once Mandrill got integrated with Mailchimp the pricing model became less attractive;

Very good transactional email API

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

Pros

The API is easy to use and the setup is fast. Rather cheap plans when you get started (but gets expensive soon)

Cons

The archive of messages is way too limited! I don't require to keep track of the message content of all our messages, but for our business we must keep track of whether the emails have been sent/read/rejected or not, and there is no way to achieve this even on a higher plan. We'll have to build a workaround with webhooks or find another tool that offers it

Ginger J.

I wish it were more like MailChimp

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

The pricing is good. We have been using it for years and the only reason we are keeping it is because we don't the pain of switching over to another vendor.

Cons

The reporting features are very weak and we don't like that we have to access MailChimp to get over into the Mandrill dashboard.

7.0/10
Steve E.

Great programmatic emails

Reviewed on 2018/04/05

Pros

It's got a terrific api that can send programmatic emails (like transactional emails) with ease. Great deliverability.

Cons

The UI is incredibly dated. It doesn't look like it's had any love in 5 years. Still, it works and that's what counts.

Take email to the next level

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

Pros

Customizable templates allow fields to be populated automatically base on predetermined algorithm. Set it up and the rest is a breeze.

Cons

Spam is always an issue. Mailing lists get old. People get annoyed. It's a tough business.

Bishal G.

Powerful Transactional Email Service

Reviewed on 2018/12/19
Review Source

Pros

We were using our local vendor for Transactional Email Services there was inbox email delivery issue mostly I was getting complain from my users that there invoice through emails is not reaching on time and sometime it's in spam. One of my friends recommended Mandrill and it's really amazing. Great IP Pool with a high inbox delivery reputation flexible API for integration and real-time email delivery.

Cons

First of all I need to login in Mailchimp account to access Mandrill which is very irritating and secondly there pricing is very high.

Great, while we had it!

Reviewed on 2018/05/09
Review Source

Pros

I run a busy social network. Around 6,000 users total, and 300-400 online at any given time. Due to this, I needed a transactional email service that had great deliver-ability for invitations, verifications, password changes, etc. Mandrill was recommended to me, and we were completely happy with the service. Unfortunately, when they bundled Mandrill into Mailchimp, we couldn't afford it anymore.

Cons

Unfortunately, bundling services did no favors. What previously was affordable for us no longer was. While the service is great, the way the change was implemented was sudden, leaving companies little time or recourse to find other options quickly. That solidified my decision to leave- most companies would grandfather in existing members, offer a lower rate, something. They simply provided us with addresses for other services, losing customers in the process.

6.0/10

Simple way to send email with good reputation

Reviewed on 2018/07/19
Review Source

Pros

Easy to use dashboard for administration
Easy to integrate with any existing code
Straight forward implementation

Cons

Logs are only kept for a few weeks
The dashboard looks outdated
Hard to perform advance searches over logs

Very convenient tool for mail management

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

- Very user-friendly interface
- Analytics is great to track customers activities on emails.
- Good Dashboards

Cons

- it can be confusing to manage emails from different domains. This could be clearer in the application UI/UX.

Joe G.

User friendly transactional email - but not the cheapest

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/12

Mandrill is a great, flexible transactional email service provider. Compared to others, it is very user friendly. My one reservation is the cost, which may be too steep for some, especially when needing to pay for features which are completely separate to the transactional service.

Pros

Almost all of the functionality can be controlled through the dashboard, as opposed to some of Mandrill's competitors which require use of the API for configuration.

Cons

The price - Mandrill used to be free, but has since moved to a model which requires a pro subscription to Mailchimp (even if it's not going to be used) plus a cost based on the amount of emails needed each month.

SUPER EASY TO USE!

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

I love the software because it's sooooo straight forward to use. I can basically send the link to anyone on my team and I need very minimal time to train them and they can jump right into to troubleshoot what they need. My customer happiness team loves it.

Cons

No complaints about this software at this time. With that being said, I'm not on the team who manages it financially so unsure of investment.

Razvan G.

Using it for my business

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Pros

I have chosen Mandrill over other solutions because it does very good what it does with great reports.

Cons

Old user interface, but you can find any information you need.

Lexx F.

Great Product for Checking Email Delivery

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

I like it a lot! It gets rid of a lot of the back and forth when customers don't believe an email has been sent or received.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use Mandrill. I get great insight into whether emails were received and opened. It's awesome for support!

Cons

Sometimes it's a little tricky to unblock emails that have accidentally bounced after changes have been made on the end user's side.

Lexx F.

Great way to track down rogue support tickets!

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

It really helps us see where a problem is happening when an end user doesn't get an email

Pros

I like that it's easy to use and to learn more about what is holding up communications with customers. It gives IP and delivery information that is easy to understand.

Cons

I wish that I could have more history for rejected and failed messages. It doesn't keep them for very long. I also wish that I could view emails that hard-bouced/were rejected in Mandrill so I could see what the customer missed out on.

7.0/10
Ralph D.

Rating only

Reviewed on 2018/12/19
Review Source

We use this with a custom app.

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Quality reporting on email sends and insight on how effective campaigns were.

Pros

It's flexible. We were able to tie this in with a custom email app and used Mandrill for reporting purposes on sends, opens, and click rates.

Cons

It doesn't hold reporting data long term. Data for sends, opens, and clicks are only held for 30 days.

external SMTP provider for low volume transactional mailing

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Pros

Clean and good reports of the emails sent
Easy to configure
User-friendly Dashboard

Cons

Campaign and delivery Data does not last long.

Tomas K.

Nice addition to MailChimp for transactional emails

Reviewed on 2018/09/06
Review Source

Pros

Mandrill has been very cost effective API solution to facilitate transactional emails. We integrate Mandrill with MailChimp.

Cons

Its analytics module is basic. I would enjoy more depth when it comes to user segmentation and email performance.