Intercom

Making internet business personal

(1 042)

Nathaniel
Nathaniel

The really bridge the gap between customers and our service

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Their customer success team is great, even on the days when I'm not the most gracious customer. I even try to emulate some of their practices because I feel heard as a customer when I suggest features or report what I think could be bugs in the system.

Pros

The ability to converse with our customers quickly and seamlessly between email and the messenger app is great. They've thought through this feature set very well and it brings us very close to our customers and we are able to convert leads very well through this service too.

Other similar apps function the same, but their UI/UX is lacking compared to Intercom. The actual feel of the app is clean and friendly and dare I say...even fun to use.

Customer success at Intercom is also excellent, they've got our backs and I appreciate it (although getting paired with someone in a vastly different time zone can hold up ticket times on our end).

Cons

There are some gaps in the help center and email features. It would be ideal to create/edit documents in a manner closer to Microsoft Word or Google doc, as those are the standard for editing documents these days. Little things like not being able to create a list inside of a document the way I would in other apps can be frustrating, but there is usually a workaround of some sort that will suffice (I'm just picky).

It would also be nice to only be paired with their team members in our time zone. Working in the US and then being helped by a team member from Australia means our ticket times take much longer and conversation is hard to do in real time.

• Industry: Wireless

Price could be better

Only good experience overall
Great support team
Price could be better

Pros

Easiest support tool to have.
Makes your team very accessible, also makes the support process simple for the end users
Good integrations and useful statistics provided

Cons

Pricing - it is not very cheap. Pricing also often changes
Help center tool - it could really use some help and updates
Also, a lot of Add block tools catch Intercom as an ad and blocks it - thus creating inconvenience for end users having to choose between

Response from Intercom

Thanks for letting us know that Intercom is you favorite support tool and we're helping you deliver such a good user experience.

I appreciate your feedback on our pricing, Articles feature and ad block issues. I'll make sure these get back to the right people here.

De
  • Used for 2+ years

NOT $39 starting price anymore. $59 a month for basic chat function

Reviewed on 2021/05/26

My overall experience with Intercom has been poor. we've been using them at the basic level for three years. I chatted with them to get a demo of their features to upgrade but they refused to give me a demo and finally set me up with a "30" call in which the rep tells me that she won't give me an upgrade after she finds out that i am not interested in the $500/mo annual contract. She says demos are for those upgrading to that level, instead, she'll send me links and prerecorded stuff. And that i can reach out if I have questions. The 30 min call was more like a 5 min conversation which was already difficult to set up.

I've been in sales for over 15 year and when there is an upgrade opportunity regardless how small, I support that client.

If Intercom was the only organization that did what they do, maybe I understand their cockiness and disregard for the smaller organizations. However, there are SO many competitors that provide you with very similar functionalities for less the price and with better customer support.

So yes, I'm annoyed as I am a current user who is doing research on other competitors so I can stop being a customer.

Pros

It's "popular" and works well if your company is enterprise sized.

Cons

If you're a start up or a smaller business don't expect to get support.

It's very expensive - starting at 59 dollars a month for one person accessing the basic chat. Sure they offer a few other things but like a team inbox? Most organizations already have an email system and a company chat in place. Next level up is $119 a month that gives you a few more functions.

Until you are paying their $500 a month locked in an annual contract, you are "self serve" customer. Meaning, no support - just their faq/website. Can't even get a good phone call for help.

Response from Intercom

Hi De,

Thanks for leaving us such a detailed and candid review. I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Intercom experience, it's certainly not what we aim for. While we do tier our support and sales resources based on subscription levels, the max you should be waiting for a response is 2 days. I'll flag this with both our Support and Sales team as it sounds like we haven't met this expectation in your case.

When it comes to pricing we have a number of plan available (including our Early Stage plan where eligible startups get advanced Intercom features and Early Stage Academy at a 95% discount). As Intercom has grown, our pricing has had to evolve alongside this and there's still work to be done in this area. We're aware that no pricing structure will suit every business type but our aim is to truly reflect the value that our product delivers, allowing both your business and ours to succeed. Your feedback is extremely helpful and will be passed on to the team.

Igor

Decent software for Customer engagment

Reviewed on 2023/12/09

Pros

The biggest advantage of Intercom is its wide range of options. With Intercom, you can set up bulk messaging, respond to incoming messages, and create tooltips or product tours. It is a software that meets most of our business needs.

Cons

Most of the functions seem to be minimal viable products (MVPs) rather than full-fledged features. Specifically, the customer engagement options are either limited or not functioning properly. Additionally, the UI lacks coherence, for instance, the dark mode is only available in the inbox and not in other sections. This inconsistency can be quite frustrating.

Amazing customer support

Reviewed on 2021/01/19

Great experience, we switched over from Sendgrid and prefer Intercom despite the higher price

Pros

The customer support is the most responsive I've ever had from a messaging / email software. We use the email because it's already integrated into our messaging and support software, so we don't have to do any import of the contacts.

Cons

It's not super intuitive or the easiest to use sometimes, like all enterprise level software it can get a bit complicated. It's also not built out for email, e.g. we also can't create unsubscribe groups on email which is a bit annoying.

Brevo and SendGrid

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Sendgrid actually lost all of our contacts and have terrible support

SendGrid

Response from Intercom

Thanks for letting us know you have had such a good experience with Intercom since swapping from Sendgrid.

I've made sure your feedback regarding email capabilities has been sent to the product team - it's an area of focus for us.

Kate (Intercom)

A good, cost effective platform to interact with customers

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

We use Intercom in conjunction with Crisp Chat, and while Intercom is an 8 out of 10 (vs. Crisp's 5 out of 10 score), there are still some aspects left to be desired. Their knowledge base functionality is great, and the look and feel of it can be customized to best help customers. Chats can be displayed on our website in three main forms, which is helpful to be able to market/inform customers in fun new ways to keep them interested.
It's a good, and useful software, but it's not as robust as Drift. All in all, a good product that we are "happy" with, but not 100% satisfied with since some business functions are impacted by certain limitations.

Pros

The ability to send email campaigns, set up notification/chat campaigns and live chat with customers.

Cons

The one MAJOR negative aspect to this product is that once someone qualifies for a campaign, even if the campaign is deactivated, the person will continue to get the contents of the campaign until it is finished, or the campaign is deleted. *Note, if the campaign is deleted, all reporting and data tied to it will be deleted as well.

Supercharge & Automate Your Customer Interactions

Reviewed on 2021/06/12

I love it. Did I add that Intercom has a program that gives early-stage startups a 95% discount in subscription fees for the advanced Intercom features. That is what we got at our startup!

Pros

I love the fact that I can use Intercom to manage every interface with leads and my customers. From collecting their data, to monitoring sessions and getting some insights on actions with event-triggered email marketing. I also love the easy integration with Slack and the multiple integrations I can implement with other software like Calendly, Google Calendar etc. It's one robust software!

Cons

It could feel like a handful when setting up and you are going to need an engineer to help with some stuff. Other than that, Intercom is bliss for managing, nurturing and supercharging your customer interactions.

Response from Intercom

Thanks so much for leaving us this review and letting us know all of the ways Intercom is helping your business :)

Kyle

Intercom not worth the time to learn

Reviewed on 2020/05/15

Not a fan. Switched to Podium and Hubspot.

Not a fan. Switched to Podium and Hubspot.

Pros

It did what it said.
It connects well with other software.
It has a lot of features.

Cons

The user interfaces for the backend is clunky. It's like salesforce for chat. Bulky but does what it says.
It doesn't do live time very well.
Customers have to wait a while for your responses.

Podium

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

It was something I inherited from the previous manager, but I quickly moved to Podium.

Response from Intercom

Hi Kyle, thank you for leaving us this review. I'm sorry to hear that you found the Intercom user experience clunky. Usability and design is something we think about a lot so I really would love to hear more about the specific changes you think we could make here. Please do get in touch via the Intercom Messenger on our site as I'd love to chat more.

Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Great for any customer success/support team! Will get you everything you need.

Reviewed on 2019/07/06

Pros

It offers literally anything you and your CS team may need to run the department.

Cons

Their support team can take a bit too long to respond at times. Really holds up our team from developing new processes sometimes. They've got a lot of features so we've got a lot of questions.

Miquel
Miquel
  • Industry: Music

Good for startups

Reviewed on 2020/07/18

You can apply to a startup program, which costs 49$/month. Money is worth it.

You can apply to a startup program, which costs 49$/month. Money is worth it.

Pros

To send push notifications without building anything from your end.

Cons

You can't send images on the push notifications

Response from Intercom

Thanks so much for leaving us this review Miquel. It's great to hear that you're taking advantage of our early stage program - it really is an incredible offer and we're working on ways to make it even better!

Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagment)

Peter

Complete Package

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

We had the opportunity to start fresh with a new ticket system/knowledge base so were shopping around. We came across Intercom and never looked back. While it has those things it is so much more being a central place to manage all our client related communications. It is by far the application I use most day-to-day.

Pros

Using Intercom has been an amazing experience. It is well thought out, full featured and continues to improve all the time. It has become an essential tool to communicate with our leads/clients. What is great is we can reach them (and they reach us) wherever they are: our website, in our web app, our mobile apps, email, etc.

Cons

While it starts off cheap depending on the features you choose to use and your volume it can start to get expensive quick. I'm not saying the product still doesn't provide value (it absolutely does) just if I had to pick what I liked least I would say cost.

Response from Intercom

Hi Peter,

We really appreciate you leaving us a review and are so happy to hear Intercom is an essential part of your customer communication.

Thanks also for your feedback on pricing. We work really hard to align our pricing to the value you are seeing. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your subscription options with us.

Peter

Industry leader in category of customer communication

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

Intercom has grown to become an (almost) 1-stop-shop for all things customer communication related. Both sales, customer support, product etc. can benefit from directly using Intercom to communicate with your applications customers.

Pros

A powerful platform that allows to view your customers session and meta data, instantly send targeted messages and set up email/in-app messaging campaigns, create help desk articles for self-service, automate workflows with bots and rules, onboard your application

Cons

The increase of features and modules have brought the complexity of the software up. It's easy to get up and running (require 1 line of code), but the road to fully adopting the suite of tools is long.

Response from Intercom

A huge thank you for taking the time to leave this review Peter. I'm extremely happy to hear that you are seeing the benefits of using Intercom for your customer communication.

Thanks also for letting us know about your setup feedback. Even as our solutions evolve and become more powerful we aim to keep setup as straightforward as possible.

Grégoire

Great product, poor pricing and support

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

Intercom helped us provide better support and engage more visitors and clients.

Intercom helped us provide better support and engage more visitors and clients.

Pros

Intercom is super easy to use and implement. It's packed with time-saving features.

Cons

Their support team is driving us crazy. It can take them up to 10 days to reply to a simple question.
Their pricing is also super frustrating. We're paying more than 500€/month. For a company with less than 10 employees and 1,300 paying clients, this is a lot of money.
Despite what we pay, we don't have access to their most recent features.

Help Scout and Crisp

Groove

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

It included a knowledge base.

Response from Intercom

Hi Gregoire, thanks for leaving us this review. I'm happy to hear we're helping you better support and engage your customers.

I've let your account rep know about your support experience as this is not what we expect.

Kate (Intercom)

Simon

A pricey but extremely competent choice of chat

Reviewed on 2023/10/13

Very well! everything from sales calls, onboarding, setup and support have worked very well.

Pros

Integration was easy with webhooks easy accessible. It is also very easy to customize chatflows with many different response options, making it a breeze to set up multiple scenarios. I do also enjoy the customization possible to for example have different chat prompts depending on the webpage a visitor goes to. On the other hand this is sometimes a bit overwhelming - I want to explore more and a customer success manager would be nice to have for this.

Cons

The price. Honestly, it seems like they try to raise and raise to squeeze a lot of money out of small businesses. Also, their pricing model is pretty difficult to understand, so be aware of all the choices you make during your sales call/order.

HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Needed more customization

HubSpot CRM

See above

Fairly unreliable tool

Reviewed on 2023/10/12

When it works it is great, but the support team often avoids helping with issues and isn't available during a major outage.

Pros

It has great features, when they are working correctly.

Cons

There is no live support. During major outages, which are far from uncommon, it is impossible to reach anyone. Their support is only available via chat, with 1-5 business day response times. Since the support team uses the same chat platform they offer to customers, it isn't possible to reach someone during a major outage. The support is very low quality during emergency situations, so it is not a dependable tool for teams offering live customer support.

Response from Intercom

Bobby here from the customer support leadership team. Overall, sorry to see this and happy to chat more if you want — send me a message by email or LinkedIn DM!

I also wanted to follow up on your feedback regarding our processes.

We use Statuspage to communicate with customers during an incident or outage. We post as soon as we begin troubleshooting, share updates along the way, and communicate when it's resolved and what happened. You can also message us on Twitter during an incident, or send us an email.

Intercom promises a 99.8% availability. We have never missed this, and on average exceed this target so outages are very rare thankfully.

The CS team aims to respond within a few hours to 1 business day. Very soon we'll be even faster, and we'll continue to give human support to everybody.

Bobby

Intercom is a decent tool with broad uses

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

While the tool has a great deal of potential, the quality of the support and account management teams are horrific. (They used to be much more skilled but as the company scaled the knowledge/expertise of the support and customer success teams dropped off a cliff, often knowing little to nothing about their own product).

Pros

Intercom is great for communicating within your web based product via chat. It's relatively effective as a marketing channel for in-app communication to customers. It has fair amount of rich content options, though they cost extra.

Cons

Compared to Drift, Intercom is extremely limited for a sales/lead-gen channel when used on a public website. It's pricing model is also crippling for high traffic sites.

The customer support and account management is absolutely horrible.

Zendesk Suite

Functionality

Response from Intercom

Hi there, thanks for letting us know about your Intercom experience and I'm glad to hear you've found it an effective customer marketing tool.

I'm sorry that our support and success management teams have not lived up to your expectations recently and I'd love to dog into this in more detail. If you'd like to discuss it further please get in touch via the messenger and ask for me directly :)

Thanks!
Kate Sugrue (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Kate

One of the main features of the product doesn't work and they don't give a sh*t

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Bloated features
Not easy to use
Terrible customer support
Don't fix issues and don't seem to even...

Bloated features
Not easy to use
Terrible customer support
Don't fix issues and don't seem to even care.
Would NEVER recommend.

Pros

We use Intercom to generate leads for our business by engaging with website visitors through live chat.

Cons

The ability to ask visitors key information such as name and email address disappeared overnight and Intercom never told their customers this feature had stopped working.
We had to discover it for ourselves, only to be told that they knew there was an issue and it was not a priority to fix. Basically, it was tough luck!
This is after they took ages to get back to our support ticket.
Customer service is terrible and they just don't give two hoots about their customers.
Constantly introducing new features but not actually fixing the main feature that someone would need!
We're looking for an alternative to Intercom and as soon as we find it we will be leaving

Response from Intercom

Hi Kate, thanks you for leaving us this candid review.

I've looked into your conversation history with the team and can see the bug you experienced is still under investigation as it only seems to be affecting a small number of accounts. I know that's not helpful when you are one of the accounts affected though and understand your frustration. (Update: This bug has now been fixed by our team.)

I can see you have since cancelled your subscription so I want to thank you for being an Intercom customer and wish you and your company lots of success in the future.

Blake
Blake

Very helpful support and customer onboarding tool

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

Overall they have been awesome on support and the tool is incredibly helpful. I will continue to use them for years to come.

Pros

I love how we could integrate chat directly into our application for our customers. The help center is very nice for our customers and the reports really help us understand how our team is doing.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a little difficult to setup especially around the tracking of specific features utilized on our platform. I also can get a little frustrated with the routing of messages, it can override the rules you put in place.

Response from Intercom

Hi Blake,

Thanks for sharing your Intercom experience, I'm so happy to hear you'll be with us for years to come!

I'll be passing your feedback about tracking and message routing on to our product team. If you'd like to add any further detail or context do get in touch via the Messenger :)

Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Extremely expensive and they make it extremely hard to move away

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Poor startup support

Poor startup support

Pros

All in one system, with email, lite CRM and small analytics.

Cons

Everything about intercom is built to keep you in the ecosystem. And the more you integrate the harder it is to move away. But they actively make it hard to move away. For example, by not allowing you to export your help articles and by creating random URL conventions to make it hard to redirect your help articles once you have built them elsewhere.

Crisp

Cheaper

Response from Intercom

Thanks for leaving us this review and for giving us your candid feedback.

We always aim to earn our customers' business and trust through our product quality and the value it drives, we certainly don't want to make it difficult to move away if we're not the right fit.

I'll make sure to pass this feedback on to the team here. Please do get in touch via the messenger if you would like to discuss this further.

Thanks,

Matthew

A consolidated place for a lot of our support & customer success needs

Reviewed on 2021/05/21

Overall, Intercom has been very useful to our support team in consolidating systems and enabling us to respond to clients quickly and resolve their issues.

Pros

I particularly like Intercom's Inbox module. It supplies our support team with most of the tools they need to help our clients quickly, and share context with other team members.

The chat experience is top notch both internally for our team and for our clients.

Intercom's reporting is informative, specifically for tracking response times segmented by chat or email, or both.

Intercom's Articles feature for help docs helps us consolidate tools even more and makes it really easy to forward relevant articles to our clients quickly, while maintaining a consistent brand feel.

Cons

Intercom's campaigns (now Series) feature can be tricky to set up. Specifically, the sending logic can be confusing and is prone to accidents in our experience (i.e. accidentally sending to the wrong audience).

Messages inside of campaigns/series don't always seem to get sent out when they should. This means that some of our clients don't get messages at the right time (i.e. they get a welcome email 2 days after they sign up instead of immediately after signing up).

For new team members, Intercom has proven to be a little difficult to learn fully.

Response from Intercom

Thanks for taking the time to review Intercom Matthew! It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you consolidate your support systems and speed up resolutions.

I'll make sure to send you feedback regarding our Series product and onboarding/training experience to the relevant teams here as we really do value these insights.

Aggressive, Slow and Incompetent staff

Reviewed on 2022/03/30

They charge through the nose and treat long term customers like neglected children

Pros

It used to be good 5 years ago but now it’s overpriced

Cons

We are moving from intercom to a different chat provider after being with Intercom for 5 years. Fundamentally Intercom still charges a lot more than the competition but is no longer the market leader. I told intercom that we are going and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] offered us a better price. At first we were interested as there is a bit of hassle in moving. But I couldn’t believe what happened next…

[SENSITIVE CONTENT]was incredibly slow to reply and unprofessional. He probably is dealing with 1000 other customers who are leaving. Eventually he retracted the offer after a month after not “getting approval”. Why did he offer that in the first place? This is a slimy sales tactic straight out of the book. He never had any intention of matching the offer we received from a competitor.

After I complained that [SENSITIVE CONTENT] had wasted 1 month of time stalling us from leaving, he sent an aggressive reply in all capitals! I’m shocked and disgusted at this behaviour from a company.

Im cancelling my intercom account and moving to a company that appreciates their long term customers.

Fernando

Best software for proving support

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

Coundn't be better. Today I cannot imagine our daily support activies without this software.

Pros

Its hard to say what I like the most, since are so many great features. Still, I believe the Inbox module is by far the great thing about it, since it allows a direct communication with clients.

Cons

A couple of months ago articles sharing was changed on the inbox feature. Now, when you share an article via conversation the client cannot open it on a separate page. This is terrible for most clients, a source of great complain.

Response from Intercom

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for leaving us this review. It sounds like you're getting real value from the platform, especially the team inbox! Make sure to keep an eye on our Intercom Academy page as we'll be releasing a new course designed specifically for Support Managers in the coming months which I think you might like.

I'll also make sure to pass your feedback regarding Article sharing to the appropriate product team.

Jessica

This software help me a lot!

Reviewed on 2023/04/26

Pros

Intercom makes it simple to interact with customers; its simple and user-friendly design allows me to easily start and maintain discussions. Furthermore, its customization options enable me to personalize communications to certain customer types or deliver targeted messages based on automated triggers. I really appreciate how Intercom can be coupled with other platforms such as Salesforce and Zendesk, which allows me to communicate with clients in a number of ways. The reporting capabilities of Intercom are particularly beneficial for identifying user activity and responding fast to customer needs. Overall, Intercom is a great tool for staying in touch with customers, whether through newsletters or automated support.

Cons

The intercom system has been commendable, with only a few minor hiccups or delays here and there which are understandable. Apart from that, it functions without a hitch, and this is a testimony to the diligent work put in by the development team. Their efforts have been invaluable in ensuring a smooth operation of the intercom system.

Scott
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Intercom Is (mostly) Great!

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

We use Intercom daily to help diagnose and solve a multitude of customer issues. As an admin, I have the ability to monitor chats, provide internal notes within the chat in real time for trainees, and make sure everyone is offline at the end of the day. There are a few flaws and Intercom WILL send you far too many emails, but overall this is a great chat tool for any customer service business.

Pros

Using Intercom as our ECOM site's chat service has been very helpful! On the customer service team, we are immediately given the contact information needed to properly help a customer. Using Intercom alongside Zendesk has also been a huge improvement over our old chat/ticketing software as they work very well together. Our team also utilizes custom and team macro responses to give fast, accurate answers and assistance. Also, giphy integration!

Cons

The default setting on Intercom has keyboard shortcuts turned on. It seems like most of them immediately close the chat. This can be easily solved by turning them off, but it is not made obvious on how to do so. Once they're off, it's smooth sailing!

We have two customer service teams, and we often have agents going back and forth between the two. We use Intercom for both. The other downside is that it is impossible to be available on one and away/reassign on the other. You can keep it open in two tabs, but that's more of a workaround than a solution.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Great intuitive software

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

Using this to answer incoming customer inquiries, resolution not, faq, and more

Using this to answer incoming customer inquiries, resolution not, faq, and more

Pros

Easily merges email and live chat on one platform. Integrates loads of other software too. Also has built in reporting and lots of features that come standard

Cons

Cannot merge tickets like other platforms do. Some reporting could use deeper drill downs and insights

Response from Intercom

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your Intercom experience. I'm glad we're helping you manage your multi-channel support.

I've made sure to pass your feedback on ticketing and reporting on to the Product Team as I know we have a few plans in the workds that could address these.