Microsoft Excel Reviews

Microsoft Excel

4,8 (18 893)
Spreadsheet software for formatting and analysis.

(18 893)

Ngha
Ngha

The best spreadsheet application in existence

Reviewed on 2022/10/11

Excel offers spreadsheet fans of any level a tremendous lot of enjoyment, but it has given us more than we can chew at this point in time. You are need to go through extensive training in order to use all of its capabilities. Excel is similar to my handback. I take it with me wherever I go. Nowadays, the solution to any question may be found in a spreadsheet. I've progressed from simple addition and subtraction formulae to developing Macros, executing queries with Power Query, Pivot tables, and much more in Excel. Excel is an essential tool in my job as an accountant and data analyst. Despite having used this for many years, there is still so much to learn, and I am always discovering new recipes on YouTube and forums. What you can accomplish with Excel is limitless.

Pros

Power query, Power Pivot, Pivot tables, and pivot charts have been my favorite tools in excel. Macros and the all new LAMBA functions are spicing up my everyday experience with excel. There are a lot of things to love about excel if you take some time to learn it. Array formulas have been scary in excel, but In excel 2021, they implemented spilled arrays which has made the fun more enjoyable. I just love excel.

Cons

There is limitation on the amount of data a spreadsheet can hold. Excel is limited to about a million rows. If you are not familiar with cube formulas or pivot tables, it will be difficult to go above this limitation.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Excel is fully available offline, every office, every computer, everyone uses excel, excel is everywhere. Resources to learn excel are easily and readily accessible at little to no cost.
Madhura
Madhura
  • Industry: Accounting

Best Product Ever

Reviewed on 2021/10/26

Excel is my bread and butter. From simple addition-subtraction formulas, I have grown to creating Macros, Pivots in Excel. Excel is an integral part of my life as an accountant. I use it to manage accounts of a very small business firm instead of an ERP. Despite of using this for so many years, there is so much to learn and I keep finding new formulas on Tiktok or Instagram daily.

Pros

Being an accountant, this is the first software in office I learnt to use. I have been using this for more than 13 years now. I love the formulas so much, they make our lives easier and makes using this software so much quicker. Best software for reporting numbers in tabular form and shows accurate details of figures. The entire application can be run on a keyboard if you know the formulas.

Cons

There are too many formulas to remember, not a con exactly but it can be frustrating when you don't remember/find formula for the work you want to do. Difficult to work on excel with another colleague as it is offline and if I save it as sheets the format changes. If the offline file is corrupted, there is no way to recover it.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

It is faster and I am used to working with formulas in excel.
Rabbi Selilah
Rabbi Selilah

I would rather use Numbers for anything and everything.

Reviewed on 2020/04/21

I have been in educational leadership for over 25 years. For all of that time I have had to run budgets, strategize enrollment projections and much, much more. For the vast majority of that time I had to utilize Excel. It was the go to vehicle for each and everyone of my treasures and book keepers to keep track of our financials. Even when I was setting up documentation on my own, I always turned to excel. However, as an educator with no accounting training I always had to turn to an expert to set up my formulas and interwoven sheets. I knew what I needed them to do, knew that Excel could function that way, but making that happen was well beyond me. It was always very frustrating. After many years I founded my own program and suddenly had no one else to turn to to arrange my tracking systems. I was stuck. I had to figure it out. Or did I? Because I am a Mac user and as I was struggling to set my Excel sheets up, I suddenly and excitedly stumbled upon Numbers. I must say, while Excel can do whatever you want it to, Numbers can do it better, with more intuitive functions. I imagine for an accountant there may be more to this picture, but for a lay user who depends of ease of use, clarity of function and ultimate success, I am happy to leave Excel in my tool bar while I create my budgets, rosters, calendars and more on Numbers.

Pros

For decades Excel was the only way to go. Its ability to utilize formulas to create the documentation we needed was invaluable.

Cons

It is clunky and hard to intuit for novice users. I have always had to impose upon other users to set my sheets up to do what I wanted to do.

Numbers
Sheen

Best tool for productivity & spreadsheets

Reviewed on 2024/01/08

Pros

Since the product has been in the market for decades now, it has become advanced to capture all the needs of a user. It is by far the most frequently used tool in any organization. I like the possibility of easily transforming data into graphs and being able to use multiple formulas. There are some unique formulas too, such as the GoogleTranslate formula that quickly converts text into the desired language.

Cons

Sometimes it is really hard to filter information if you're dealing with a huge amount of data. For example, if I filter a column by colour, then I cannot use data validation on top of the existing filter.

Tacho
Tacho

For me, Excel is a great tool that I would not replace for any additional software

Reviewed on 2021/09/01

I use Excel for more than 15 years. When I started to use it I was a sales representative and I tracked all my sales. After that, I started to use it in my daily work as a driving instructor for making a schedule for my students. I also use it for tracking my personal and company finance and making a budget.

Pros

Excel is an excellent tool, with virtually unlimited possibilities. From generating various reports, creating good-looking columns, and keeping a database. It is a tool that is an indispensable assistant to anyone involved in sales, marketing, finance, and accounting. Excel gives you unlimited possibilities to adjust it so that it works entirely in your favor and to be tailored to your individual needs.

Cons

In fact, its biggest advantage is its biggest disadvantage. The fact that there are thousands of opportunities makes it a little difficult to work for people who have no experience. What could be improved is to add more integration capabilities to external software.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

I was trying Google Sheets for a while, but definitely, Excel is a winner in this battle. With unlimited possibilities, Excel is my favourite software - both for work and personal use.
Dave
Dave

The industry standard

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

Honestly, I love Excel. The truth is, once you unlock the various features there is very little you can't do. For fun I've created a dynamic resume', a slide presentation and even a couple of games inside Excel just to see if I could.

Pros

Excel's greatest value is its ability to be many things for many people. I would say 90% of the people I've seen use Excel only use about 10% of its capabilities, and it's great for that. People are making quick budgets, schedules, to-do lists and even recipes books with excel and don't need many "pro" features for that.
Then there are the people who use it for contact management and data-processing, I've even seen an Excel instance that used extensive scripting to handle CRM, inventory and mail-merge marketing. I don't suggest it, but if you really want to get into it, it's very possible.
I'd say the greatest advantage of using Excel is that it's the industry standard for spreadsheets. If send someone an excel sheet you can bet that they will have a way to open it.

Cons

For cons, it does annoy me a bit that the Mac version isn't nearly as good as the Windows version. It's not surprising, of course, but it is annoying. I use Excel on different platforms and operating systems and the difference is striking.
Also, if you do plan on getting in the weeds with excel for business intelligence and data processing, you can literally spend years studying ti and getting proficient with the all of the capabilities.
And finally, it can be a huge processor hog and slow down everything else on your computer if you aren't careful. Even a simple spreadsheet with a simple formula involving whole columns can suddenly bring a stop to your workday.

Numbers and Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Most often the choice was based on the rest of the enterprise using Excel but I also believe it's a better product than either Sheets or Numbers. The one place I use Google Sheets over excel is if I'm sharing information with a lot of people, or using templates integrated with other Google products, like analytics.
Harshil
Harshil
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Analysis begins

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

Best, better and growing at an wonderful levdl day by day. I recommend it to all analysts.

Pros

Calculations and formula interpretation is the major of excel. I worked a lot on data analysis and I used the formula feature frequently. I also like the tutorials and help section in excel. The most feature I like is the Pivot table because it is just an wide level of analysis in a single sheet. Just by putting rows and columns in appropriate way, I can generate a lot of things like revenue, profits, productivity, production data and much more. The Microsoft internal software networking within word, put and excel is too good. The dashboard creation of excel works for me and also speaks for me because it is doing a work of 10 people. I love it.

Cons

My cons are also on formula. I like to have a separate formula section in excel where we are able to see formula which we can used or which are applicable. This update can solve a lot of things automatically without using YouTube.

SAP Analytics Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Because it is world wide acceptable and can be easily modified into a required format. For me, my whole production datas comes in a excel format thus excel is now in my blood .
Faris
Faris
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Life is easier with Excel

Reviewed on 2023/07/18

It was and still is a wonderful, interesting and light experience

It was and still is a wonderful, interesting and light experience

Pros

Ease of use + collaboration tools + sharing with others online and allowing modification and creation directly

Cons

There are no negatives in Excel, everything you find great in Excel

Microsoft Word

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Because it is special and more famous and less
Martin
  • Industry: Automotive

Perfect for my needs!

Reviewed on 2024/02/11

Pros

The fact that i can keep thing in order, such as job loads and a basis for finances.

Cons

I can be tricky to know what your doing if you dont have training.

Heejin
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

#1, except for live collaboration

Reviewed on 2024/02/11

Pros

Excel is obviously the best CSV and spreadsheet software out there. It's the OG and all other apps like Google sheets and numbers were modeled after it. It has the most capacity for complex formulas and functions and is most widely used across every industry.

Cons

Collaboration tools and real-time updates are not as good as Google sheets. Plus, Google sheets is always free. For spreadsheets that require lots of collaboration, may be better to opt for google sheets.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo

More useful than the competition

Reviewed on 2020/04/22

I use excel for many things, from simple financial controls to task lists, everything I don't need to synchronize with teams becomes an excel spreadsheet. We also exchange files frequently with customers, where even more advanced formulas and graphics are implemented. Due to compatibility with other formats, and the undeniable ease of the interface, it is still my main spreadsheet tool. I end up paying Office 365 just because of Excel, as it pays off in productivity. I also like the model library, it helps when starting something fast.

Pros

I love the versatility, look and ergonomics of Excel. The wide formulas and small assistance tools, which make it unnecessary to do certain things manually. Example, if you copy / paste / move formulas and references, it almost always manages to adjust and correct.

Cons

In years of excel the most terrible thing that ever and continues to have is poor support for CSV files. In LibreOffice, for example, when opening a CSV, it tries to detect the conventions and display for you to confirm. Excel has a persistent bug with this, and it almost never manages to open CSV correctly (regardless of whether you use a semicolon, comma or other), the best way to use this is to open CSV in LibreOffice, copy and paste in Excel , which is very annoying. At the office level, it is also bad to be forced to install all the applications in the package, even if you only want excel and a few others.

Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and Google Sheets

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Excel

Before I used only LibreOffice, but it is visually ugly, it ends up being boring for you to spend hours a day dealing with spreadsheets in an old-fashioned and less productive environment. Libre has its qualities, that's why I never give up, but Excel allows me to do so many more things, and in a much faster way, that I found myself returning to Excel two years after trying to use only Libre, and even today I keep both. If you need to come up with something attractive to show your client it was also something I had in mind when I return to pay for Office, years ago.

LibreOffice

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

When Excel became expensive, in the last economic crisis, I did several experiments with other spreadsheets, including Google Sheets, which is part of my Gmail, and free alternatives. The test results showed that Excel is superior in several aspects: visual, facilities, productivity accelerators. G-Sheets is good, I still use them in the G-suite, but it is very limited, everything has to be done manually, and formatting is a drag. Excel has everything ready, it's half the way to deliver something final, and it rarely breaks formulas. The free alternatives clearly seem to have stopped in time and not have many innovations, so as I am in this job to make money, I thought it was worth spending a little to deliver value to the customer. Since 2015 I use Excel for professional work for productivity, Google Sheets for ease with the G-suite and for quick things and LibreOffice for the added tools of CSV and native support for the open document format.
Sue
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

A business must have!

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

I have used Excel for business, home and small home business. I started using Excel many years ago with no computer experience and taught myself mostly. I started using it to keep track of data and parts usage in automotive productions. I started simply and grew from there.

Next I started using it to create and track part testing schedules. I was easily able to create the test parameters, details of these tests, add schematic and print information, dates, machine information, production lines, schedules, reports and file all completed tests and results as well as share these with engineers and customers.

The ability to attach photos to these reports is a huge bonus.

My next feature I learned with Pivot Tables and this opened a whole new arena of possibilities. I gathered all production line data and entered it into line items such as Production line, products coming off this line, counts, scrap, maintenance issues, costs, personnel and down time. This was them accessible in a pivot table I could manipulate to see where the cost where coming from, downtime issue and ways to cut costs and streamline production and maintenance. By simply clicking on which data I wanted to see, in an instant the data changed.

From here I could transfer this data into charts for management to use at a glance.

Pros

Easily store any and all data, information, photos, contacts... the use is endless. I believe I had only scratched the surface in Excel. The more I used it and explored its capabilities the more excited I got about how I could use it.

It uses as it applies to large and small businesses is never ending. You can use it for home business and personal storage of information as well. My Grand kids even started to use it at age 5, obviously not for business but they taught themselves how to use it, PowerPoint and Word.

Cons

I think the only issue I ever had was with updates. For personal use it is pricey when you need to update to the newest version, I suppose in the scheme of things and for its many uses its not that expensive though. Again for personal use when working or sharing with others the various versions can create some issues but they have gotten better about making sure each updated version can transfer data from the older versions Its only an problem when the person using the older version needs data thats on the newer version.

As far as learning in Excel, there are so many books, tutorials and videos you can usually find what you need but there is also so many features in Excel I was only frustrated by wanting to know it all now rather than later.

Amy

This Product Has Very Useful and Extensive Capabilities

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Elaborating on my favorite features of Excel, the following more specific functions are of tremendous help to me on a regular and ongoing basis:
-The ability to easily sort lists based on any piece of your data, (for example, sorting by last name, by zip code, but dollar amounts, by dates, etc.) On top of that, you can sort by multiple data at once with one click of a button.
-The formulas you can customize and insert into your workbooks are phenomenal. The program essentially does the math for you saving time and effort once you create and insert a formula. These can be very simple or very complex depending on your specific needs.
-The graphs and charts Excel can create based on data you enter into a workbook are wonderful. Often when I create presentations for our board of directors, particularly when reporting on key data, the graphic element these add is incredibly helpful. There are multiple different types of charts and graphs available, and each of those is entirely able to be customized, from font to colors, to data included, and more. Even better, these can be used outside of Excel once created. They are easily copied and pasted into Word, PowerPoint, etc. to suit your needs as well, which I also do pretty frequently.

Pros

Microsoft Excel is truly amazing. I have used it for SO many things including the following:
-Creating simple lists or databases
-Utilizing more complex rules and formulas within my data
-Creating a TON of different type of charts and graphs for data analysis and reporting
These are definitely my top three favorite features and capabilities, and those that I use most frequently. In addition, everything can be customized to meet your needs and preferences in Excel as well. Fonts can be changed in size/type/color/style, cells can be highlighted, and charts and graphs can be customized in these same ways as well.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Excel, but I know that its capabilities are far beyond my knowledge and ability. It can seem complicated, but once you learn how to utilize all of its features, it can truly be an asset in so many ways. A personal goal of mine is to get some more training in that area so that I can take advantage of this software's capabilities to the full extent.

• Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Excel - Make Yourself at Home with Data

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Microsoft Excel is a daily driver for me. I am constantly working in Excel to either prep data for another program such as Microsoft Power BI, or I am working with and looking at different data reports in the software. I highly recommend Excel as it is far above the competition.

Pros

The best thing about Excel is you can do so many things with the software. You can easily customize your data and create visuals to share your data's story. The ability to customize and make dynamic reports is great and if you need to really use some power features Excel lets you do that as well. Simply utilizing Power Query opens up a new environment and features to work with your data model. Still can't accomplish what you need then you can use some VBA to get the task done. The best part of Excel is that you can do so many things with the software and you would be hard pressed to find something that Excel doesn't do well. Excel also incorporates into other software and platforms, such as Power BI, really well.

Cons

One of the cons of excel is that there are really several different coding types you need to learn or at least be familiar with. If you want to do basic things you won't have any problems if you aren't well versed in Excel. However, to really get the job done you need to know all about how to write and structure formulas. If you need to get into the really advanced features you need to know DAX if you are in the Power Query editor, on top of that you need to know VBA if you want to accomplish customized tasks in the VBA window, and then there even macros. So, the worst part of excel is that it isn't uniform in that you need to know multiple coding languages if you want to use many of the advanced features Excel offers.

samuel
samuel
  • Industry: Investment Management

Best Spreadsheet Software for Office Use

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

Excel is a great spreadsheet for office use. Microsoft really put a good ideas into its functions. The software is meant for everyone, depending on how you choose to use it. I worked with Excel for 2 years in my internship, and without it, I doubt if our works will be any less easy. It’s is well organized, user interface is clean and easy to work on once you can use the software.
Apart from the cons listed above, Excel is a life saver and I’m yet to see any good competitor in the market, and to think Excel comes with other Microsoft tools which is a benefit.

Pros

For Business usage, Excel is the best spreadsheet software out there; perfect for record keeping. The best part about Excel is it’s perfect for everyone no matter your business niche. I did my intern in a property management company, we use excel for all property informations, especially on incomes and expenses. Excel made my work easy and fast, especially for calculating, data can be easily manipulated without stress of high knowledge on computer usage.
I learned to use excel and was able to work on few things, I have helped friends to create graphs for their project. Excel can also help users in creating some other calculations like Statistics or Calculus; users can also create datas in table format, perfect for presentation. Calculations are accurate, so no need to worry about errors (except for human errors).
The software have varieties of features that just work like a charm, most of which people don’t know. My most favourite thing of the software is the clean interface and easy management of data which helps in getting work done fast.

Cons

Even though I love this software for its functions, there are still few cons about it. My first problem about it will be the difficulty in learning. Learning Excel can be very overwhelming, this isn’t a software that can be learn by oneself, rather you'll seek for someone to teach you or go out and take classes and you’ll be surprise on how much people you’ll meet there, I think Video Tutorials works best, sometimes I do forget some functions and going back to the video just work great. It will take a lot of commitment to learn this software perfectly.
Another cons to this software will be inability to correct errors, although this is human error and not the software’s but once you enter wrong information on the software, it will give wrong solutions and you won’t know this unless if you’re suspicious.
Microsoft also need to rest on changing the user interface of the software, I wanted to use Excel on my friend’s PC with 2013 version of Microsoft Office Tools, I was lost for few moment; most features’ location was changed from how they were on my version and it made work a bit difficult.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Excel-essential for everyone

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

I'm an Excel user since my childhood and it is essential for every profession. I had a long journey with Excel still I didn’t find any better alternative for this spreadsheet software and this is the secret of success for remaining No 1 position. More love for Excel >>>

Pros

If you are a kid and you are trying to interact with PC for the first time, Excel is first coming for the mind for initial learning. Since my childhood, excel did a lot for me and even I can't imagine a better alternative for this. We can do numerous things for our educational purposes and business purposes apart from some basic real mathematics. The macro function feature of Excel is really awesome and we can customize our final output as per our requirements. It contains all the examples for itself for various equations and this helps a lot when we are very new to any set of functions and these suggestions really save our priceless money. The latest versions of Excel support various file formats and also we can save our outputs as a PDF format for our convents. I'm really impressed with Excel algorithm because it was a cracker for big equations and we can get the results within a second. The mobile version of Excel also doing a pretty decent job for their users and we don’t need transferring cables to access our files within various platforms because the cloud service from office 365 is really cool.

Cons

The Excel interface remains the same since their first appearance and we need some improvements in their appearance. Their pricing for the Office 365 package is comparatively high when compared to the other similar kind of alternatives. We are missing inbuilt auto-correction tool in excel and I hope this feature will be added soon.

Pubudu
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excel saves your time

Reviewed on 2019/11/29

I use Excel for 6 years. When I was an undergraduate, I used excel for all graphing and charting works for assignments and reports. I used excel frequently for my undergraduate research. I got all the raw data in a excel sheet and I did calculations in excel to get final results, and used excel to explain graphically. I used many types of charts and graphs to describe my results. If you know Excel very well, I mean if you mastered this software, you can run a company by your own!. As there are lot of operations and functions, you can save all the data in excel sheets and do the calculations in Excel. As a normal user, I only use these basic features of the spreadsheets in excel, there are lot more other specific functions such as giving programming support through Microsoft VBA, affording to access data from external source and offering extensive graphing and charting options.

Pros

Excel is very useful tool for researchers like me. It is the most user friendly spreadsheet I ever had. Because the values in the spreadsheet can be manipulated mathematically with the help of basic and number of complex arithmetic operations. Therefore, it is very helpful to you if you work with a lot of data and numbers. So you can save your time, if you master this software. There are very many advantages of this software. Ability to express the information graphically is one of most useful option to researchers like me. It is very important to explain your data in bar charts, pie charts, pivot charts, line graphs... etc. and it is easy to draw these graphs using excel.

Cons

It is time consuming to add data to excel manually, specially when i have a large number of data. When I use copy and paste or cut and paste options, it seems to be confusing me sometimes. When I try to undo, it won't help. Maybe it is my personal error, but it happens to me many times. The other thing is while I using different versions, sometimes I can't find some tools at the same place where it was in the previous version.

Ravinder
Ravinder
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Powerful tool for data visualization, analysis, calculation and presentations

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

We use Microsoft Excel to maintain large data set, perform calculations and data visualization across each department. We also use the excel spreadsheet as a client deliverable format as it is present, graphs and charts are easy to digest and allow easy modification at both ends.

Pros

Microsoft Excel spreadsheet is the most widely used tool across organizations to maintain a large data set in a tabular format, to perform calculations, for visualization and analysis. Excel supports basic mathematical functions including filter, sort, color code, add, subtract, multiply, divide to much-advanced formulas such as pivot table, if-else etc. for data manipulation. Excel has built-in support for macros which can automate your manual task and can save a lot of time. Even if you are naïve user of excel and want to apply some functions, user community support is quite extensive. All you have to do is just type ‘how to do XYZ in excel’ and you would get ready answers. Excel is also very useful tools for basic graphs and charting and if you want to take analytics to a pro-level then it supports integration with advanced analytics tools such as Power BI. Autosave feature and excel subscription as a part of Office 365 allow you to save your excel files on the cloud which can be accessed anywhere using internet connectivity.

Cons

Features on Excel mobile App are somewhat limited. Large size excel file makes your system slow, time-consuming and sometimes it even crashes. If you want pro-level expertise in Excel, you need to undergo training. The good part is that excel online tutorials are widely available across multiple platforms such as YouTube, Courseera, etc.

Ladona

Excel Is A Very Powerful Tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/01

Many thumbs up!!!

Many thumbs up!!!

Pros

This software is built to support the simplest to the most complex requirements needed in the workplace. Before becoming a Facilities Officer I worked as an energy engineer in the solar energy field for more than five years. My colleagues and I were not only required to undertake technical tasks such as conducting site assessments, but we were also embedded in a sales driven environment. Weekly reports had to be submitted about the sales potential that were garnered from customers we interacted with, thereby keeping track of all the quotes that were sent out, and track whether they resulted in actual sales or not. Each of these had to be entered into an excel spreadsheet and tabulated somewhat manually every week and categorized by product type. This was a daunting task and none of us enjoyed doing this. I thought that Xcel ld have the necessary functions so I brought my home with me one weekend, and did my research. After more than 15 hours doing so I was able to create a far better spreadsheet that made the work extremely simple.

The formulas that Excel had searched a master sheet by sales rep name, the amount and product type for each quote. Sub tabs were created, one for each rep. By typing in a start date and end date our manager/supervisor was provided with all the details to take to the weekly management meetings
Later on, in less than a year that document guided the developer to create a web based sales tracking software which extended beyond my department and branch

Cons

Nothing is lacking as far as simple to the most complex use. I still use this software on a daily basis as a FACILITIES officer now, to keep track of my budget and maintenance works for various amenities such as the generator, pumping systems, air conditioning systems and also Excel was great and one of the most efficient software that was and still being used to keep track of all of the companies fixed assets prior to entering into a register. I have no issues with Excal at all. It will always have its place within various if not all workplace functions.

Excel help my working efficiency

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Most time in regular using excel is very good in hand. And it is compatible with all other Microsoft family software, so it's output data can be directly used in other related software tools, like chart, grids, files and data sources.
For usually using excel tool is enough for different users in many fields, such as student, science researching, accounting, financial calculation, engineering data analysis or event programmer developing software on it.

Pros

1. it's formula function totally replaced my calculator tool or similar ones.
2. convenient cell operation for formula propagate or serial copying
3. if error occurs in the formula in cell, it is easy to check each step's result to find the root cause.
4. powerful online help for current operation focus as formula, operation, variable change, parameter usage, etc.
5. Macro recording function make dummy user can repeat the operation in huge data.
6. More flexible VBA scripts support make it possible build a easy trigger and running tool software.
7 widely used drawing function make it show more fabulous graphic with text to explain the data.
9, powerful statistic data visualization function make it easy to show the data in many axis

Cons

1. sometime there is interruption and without saving the latest version or recover the latest version in time.
2. free trail is limited time frame.
3. can not get password recovered in the excel file if you lost your password to open it.
4. when frequently processing huge data like more than 1 million rows, the file size will be increase much more, and it is not decrease right after you delete these huge data.
5. auto transfer from outside data source is not efficient, like convert txt data to excel cells, more than 1 million row will cost a lot of time to converting.

Still the Best for Spreadsheets

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

Excel helps us with data gathering, performance tracking and even team projects. It allows our teams to just work on getting tasks done while Excel keeps track of progress using carefully set up formulas. The locking features within the software also mean that you can control how the sheets are used so nothing "breaks".

Pros

Excel is our go-to app for everything from simple databases to more complex reporting and dashboards. The upgrades with Office 365 means we now have the use of even more powerful collaboration and sharing tools while using Excel. For example, we commonly use Excel for very quick data collection across multiple units by simply setting up a sheet and sharing it. This allows multiple users to input data with little to no syncing issues and live updates (see where everyone is and which cell they are editing). For repetitive data cleanups, Excel's macros work very well and are fully supported even in Mac OS environments. As an Excel power user, the ability to create you own "ribbon" and stock it so all buttons you use most are together is pure gold!

Cons

Two of my Excel pet peeves are processing speed and "hidden" data. Now Excel has 1.04 million rows and thousand of columns. The program is pretty quick once you're working with a few hundred rows of data but once you get into the thousands things start to slow down. The second issue to the inclusion of data that increases the file size. This can happen when you are copying and pasting data between files and can be difficult to troubleshoot. For example, I've seen files with less than 100 rows and 3 columns of data with a file size of 5MB. Most to the time you will end up copying the data in something "clean" like a text file and then putting it back into Excel.

Jill

Excel - Both Useful and Satisfyingly Fun!

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

Excel is a staple part of our business, with every day use and functionality we can't operate without. I'm a huge fan, and recommend Excel to other businesses and individual users. And play with conditional formatting - it's both incredibly useful, and satisfyingly fun!

Pros

We use Excel on a daily basis - it opens with a snap, and does all the math for us (my favorite part!). More specifically, beyond basic bath, the formatting tools allow the use of Excel as a powerful document management tool, from acquisition evaluation calculations to database exports to charting and reporting, we are able to format the display and printouts to our needs. The conditional formatting options also allow us to provide user-friendly tools that provide visual feedback to users on when they've entered an incorrect type of data, such as putting a positive in for an expense line. I've been using Excel since 1999, and while competitors exist, I haven't found any to be quite as powerful and as consistently user-friendly as Excel itself.

Cons

The navigation from cell to cell leaves a wee bit to be desired. Specifically, the format drag and copy options, when you have your lovely perfect formula ready to go in one cell and want to carry it into a whole row of adjacent cells. The ability to grab the cell itself is limited to a wee tiny area of the cell, which can be difficult to drag. This is a minor inconvenience, but quietly bothersome when that action is performed many times in a day.

Numbers and Google Sheets
Beth
Beth
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The Power to Tell Your Story

Reviewed on 2022/10/11

I love Excel. It is my favorite tool, and makes it possible for me to truly love my job. The job I have now is 90% Excel spreadsheets of varying complexity. I stepped into a job that I don't have the appropriate accounting knowledge for, but the tools in Excel have helped me get up to speed very quickly, and produce high quality output.

Pros

I process massive amounts of data each month into a series of reports, payments, and regulatory filings. Excel gives me everything I need to take raw data dumps from a variety of systems and compile the data into a single workbook where I can compare, balance, and report monthly activity. Excel's capacity to provide layers upon layers of data is vital. Excel's rich Formula base gives you tools to take the information you have and turn it into the information you need. Whatever you think Excel can do, it can do more. After 20 years, I'm still learning new things all the time.

Cons

I honestly can't think of much I don't like about Excel, except that there is so much, that no matter what you know, there's more...or a better way, or an easier way, or a possible way. Getting help in Excel can be overwhelming because of the sheer number of options available. I can't say that I don't like that about Excel, but it could be daunting to some. I don't even know how to suggest to make it better. I love Excel and wouldn't want it any other way.

Reyes
Reyes

My experience with excel has been quite good and has been improving over the years.

Reviewed on 2018/06/30

I have benefited a lot from the use of excel from the university as well as the work environment. In the university on repeated occasions I have had to resort to the use of excel to quantify data obtained in the field for certain jobs among other things and in the field of work has certainly been very useful for the counting of sales, prices, costs, losses among other data that must be constantly updated by the company for which I work. Without a doubt, it is a software of excellence that with each passing year becomes more useful and easier to use, more user friendly. If it would be convenient that the support and the documentation of the same one was a little more simple to understand for those people who just begin to use it.

Pros

What I like most about Excel is the ability to organize large amounts of data in spreadsheets and charts. With organized data, it is much easier to analyze, especially when it is used to create graphs and other visual data representations. In second place, the thing that I like most is that Excel processes data quickly, making mass calculations much easier than solving them on your own with a calculator. Excel also has formulas and equations that are used to quickly calculate simple and complex equations using large amounts of data.
and finally, Excel is considered the standard for spreadsheet software and, for that reason, it enjoys support on almost all platforms, including smartphones and tablets. Most other spreadsheet programs also support importing Excel sheets into their original formats and exporting their own spreadsheets as Excel files.

Cons

One of the disadvantages according to my opinion is that if it is true that almost anyone can choose Excel and start using it, getting the maximum benefit from its features requires a lot of practice. People who ignore the Excel syntax can also find errors in calculations and call other functions that have nothing to do with what you want. Second of the disadvantages I think that although Excel's automatic calculation functions simplify most of the calculations on a larger scale it is also true that Excel has no means to verify human errors during data entry, which means that Incorrect information can damage all results and finally entering data manually in Excel can take a long time, mainly if you have a lot of data to enter. The amount of time it takes to enter data manually can be quite long.

It is a wonderful software to work with numbers and simplify the work

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

It has helped me in my daily work because it helps me to present the amounts of projects by companies of large macros to something easier and simplified is really recommended because the large number of tools they offer we can adapt to our needs

Pros

Excel is a wonderful tool offered by Microsoft to simplify life for all of us who work with numbers, it has a great variety of formulas that according to what we need we can use it, with excel I have been able to simplify a large database in just what I need either inserting a table or a dynamic table, I can also represent in graphics some information that requires presenting to a third party, otherwise if you only need to see an information you can use the filters that allows you to filter the information by numbers, some keyword, the beginning of a sentence, colors among others its use is very relevant, it is an excellent tool if we learn to know it is not at all complicated and with its daily use we can get to know it better

Cons

The difficulty I feel in excel is that if you want to get more out of it you should take a basic course at least to start learning now if what you want is to manage macros you should know programming, not anyone can perform macros in excel is necessary previous knowledge, another against would be that depending on the amount of information handled the program can become a bit slow and heavy in the PC, you have to be aware because sometimes the option of automatic formulas is deactivated and passed to manual and therefore, if you add new numbers or numbers, these are not updated, but excel is usually great for your daily use