Microsoft Excel Reviews

Microsoft Excel

4,8 (18 871)
Spreadsheet software for formatting and analysis.

(18 871)

Josh
Josh
  • Industry: Design

Comes on many computers and is Fantastic especially if included.

Reviewed on 2021/08/05

I have used Excel for over 20 years and I have not even scratched the surface of what can be done with it. It can do so many things when you need to make calculations, spreadsheets or do something with accounting. I love it and really for me a numbers guy I think it is fun.

Pros

It is so versatile. I use it instead of Calculator as I can easily see what I am calculating. I have made a simple payroll system with it and have used it for many weekly tax calculations. Calculating using fields from other pages is fantastic. Really anything you need to do with accounting can be done with it.

Cons

Two things if you don't have it free with your computer then you have to buy it and it can be kind of expensive and if you want to be able to collaborate and make on the fly changes with others then you need office 365 and you have to pay monthly you can never own it.

LibreOffice and Google Sheets

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Excel

While LibreOffice is the best option for free and that is a software for your computer, my wife ended up getting Microsoft office 365 free from work because of remote work so this is the main reason I have gone to excel as it is a little better and I didn't have to pay for it.

LibreOffice

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

I do still use google sheets for mine and my wife's budget and we can change it on the fly at the same time if we need online. I used LibreOffice as my main until I got Office 365 from my wife's work. I think Excel is better than the other two in sheer offline and spreadsheet features but not sure I would pay more than about $50 for office 2019 and don't like paying monthly for 365.
Nicholas
Nicholas

The Go-To is still the most capable

Reviewed on 2021/10/19

I enjoy using and learning more about Excel. There are so many ways in which to use it that no review can truly capture the breadth and depth of its capability. When it is frustrating it is because of an inability of process or lack of me as a user being able to achieve what i know to be possible and thus I approach it as a puzzle to be unpacked.

Pros

Excel is a versatile spreadsheet application that continues to benefit from its age, the weight and momentum behind it, and the continued focus on it as core Office app. The variety of applications of this application are what continue make it a winner.

Cons

Stemming from the same positive attributes of its age and flexibility are the downsides to its age and flexibility - its overlapping years of feature additions and subtractions to the building more on top of pre-existing structures mean that somethings need to be unpacked in order to work how you'd like them too and the robustness of the product can be daunting. Knowing that you'll never know ALL that it is capable of and that the best way to achieve anything is to picture it and then hunker down for an evening of searching and learning.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

The familiarity of administration and staff in using Excel and the ease of interaction with other organizations sealed the deal.
Tucker

Microsoft excel, superior to all competitors

Reviewed on 2024/02/18

Excellent experience when you’re comfortable

Excellent experience when you’re comfortable

Pros

Unbelievable amount of features, ability to organize data sets

Cons

Difficult learning curve to understand new concepts

Rabbi Selilah
Rabbi Selilah

I would rather use Numbers for anything and everything.

Reviewed on 2020/04/21

I have been in educational leadership for over 25 years. For all of that time I have had to run budgets, strategize enrollment projections and much, much more. For the vast majority of that time I had to utilize Excel. It was the go to vehicle for each and everyone of my treasures and book keepers to keep track of our financials. Even when I was setting up documentation on my own, I always turned to excel. However, as an educator with no accounting training I always had to turn to an expert to set up my formulas and interwoven sheets. I knew what I needed them to do, knew that Excel could function that way, but making that happen was well beyond me. It was always very frustrating. After many years I founded my own program and suddenly had no one else to turn to to arrange my tracking systems. I was stuck. I had to figure it out. Or did I? Because I am a Mac user and as I was struggling to set my Excel sheets up, I suddenly and excitedly stumbled upon Numbers. I must say, while Excel can do whatever you want it to, Numbers can do it better, with more intuitive functions. I imagine for an accountant there may be more to this picture, but for a lay user who depends of ease of use, clarity of function and ultimate success, I am happy to leave Excel in my tool bar while I create my budgets, rosters, calendars and more on Numbers.

Pros

For decades Excel was the only way to go. Its ability to utilize formulas to create the documentation we needed was invaluable.

Cons

It is clunky and hard to intuit for novice users. I have always had to impose upon other users to set my sheets up to do what I wanted to do.

Numbers
Janelle

Easily goes head to head with tools 20 years younger

Reviewed on 2023/10/30

I couldn't imagine working without Excel in my department. I've got sheets for contact databases, reports, tasks, ideas, you name it. I think it coud be the single best tool in terms of the number of tasks you can get done with it. We use it in pretty much every department to varying degrees, and we rarely have problem with bugs or understanding how to do a certain thing with it.

Pros

It's a true sandbox environment. The interface is simple but the things you can do with it are pretty much infinite thanks to the formulas. One basic formula can save you dozens of hours from having to do things manually

Cons

1. The offline syncing is unnecessarily confusing to set up.

2. The UI could be made a bit smoother like some of the newer spreadsheet tools

Ngha
Ngha

The best spreadsheet application in existence

Reviewed on 2022/10/11

Excel offers spreadsheet fans of any level a tremendous lot of enjoyment, but it has given us more than we can chew at this point in time. You are need to go through extensive training in order to use all of its capabilities. Excel is similar to my handback. I take it with me wherever I go. Nowadays, the solution to any question may be found in a spreadsheet. I've progressed from simple addition and subtraction formulae to developing Macros, executing queries with Power Query, Pivot tables, and much more in Excel. Excel is an essential tool in my job as an accountant and data analyst. Despite having used this for many years, there is still so much to learn, and I am always discovering new recipes on YouTube and forums. What you can accomplish with Excel is limitless.

Pros

Power query, Power Pivot, Pivot tables, and pivot charts have been my favorite tools in excel. Macros and the all new LAMBA functions are spicing up my everyday experience with excel. There are a lot of things to love about excel if you take some time to learn it. Array formulas have been scary in excel, but In excel 2021, they implemented spilled arrays which has made the fun more enjoyable. I just love excel.

Cons

There is limitation on the amount of data a spreadsheet can hold. Excel is limited to about a million rows. If you are not familiar with cube formulas or pivot tables, it will be difficult to go above this limitation.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Excel is fully available offline, every office, every computer, everyone uses excel, excel is everywhere. Resources to learn excel are easily and readily accessible at little to no cost.
Faris
Faris
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Life is easier with Excel

Reviewed on 2023/07/18

It was and still is a wonderful, interesting and light experience

It was and still is a wonderful, interesting and light experience

Pros

Ease of use + collaboration tools + sharing with others online and allowing modification and creation directly

Cons

There are no negatives in Excel, everything you find great in Excel

Microsoft Word

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Because it is special and more famous and less
jhn
jhn
  • Industry: Banking

Microsoft Excel Review

Reviewed on 2023/04/24

Microsoft Excel has made my work easy more in doing analysis of data for my business.

Pros

I like the fact that this software offer very detailed and good Data visualization capability.

Cons

Microsoft Excel entirely meets most or all of my needs.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Microsoft Excel is easy to use besides it is available even in offline mode.
Rilwan
  • Industry: Media Production

Perfect for data analysis

Reviewed on 2024/02/11

Pros

We deal with a lot of data and Microsoft excel makes it easy to analyze it. The platform is setup in a way that makes it easy to navigate.

Cons

The only con will be the pricing as there are free or cheaper platforms that offers similar functionality.

Heejin
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

#1, except for live collaboration

Reviewed on 2024/02/11

Pros

Excel is obviously the best CSV and spreadsheet software out there. It's the OG and all other apps like Google sheets and numbers were modeled after it. It has the most capacity for complex formulas and functions and is most widely used across every industry.

Cons

Collaboration tools and real-time updates are not as good as Google sheets. Plus, Google sheets is always free. For spreadsheets that require lots of collaboration, may be better to opt for google sheets.

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

The Best Spreadsheet platform in the world (Excel By Microsoft)

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

Very Good application as a whole. It does what i want it do and what it was designed to be used for.

Pros

If you are familiar with any other Microsoft software such as Word Or PowerPoint for example then it is certain you will immediately understand the way the interface has been designed, which is very user friendly.
I believe that anybody can learn how to use excel because of how simplistic the design is and also because there is even a function button that tells you exactly what you can use to perform a certain action using excel where it even simply gives you the option to search using words what it is you want to do. For e.g if you searched 'plus' or 'add' excel will present you with a function that you can use to add the value of two or more cells together,

Cons

There are not many cons to excel as i feel it is a software that has been designed to do exactly what is expected if it without any issues but if i were to mention a few cons it would be things that do not really have a negative effect on the application has a whole but rather just aspects that could have been improved on.
Excel is not 100%. although there are security features in place like locking editing and so forth nothing prevents another person from simply access the data that may be stored in a table and then mimicking it in a brand new spreadsheet.
Its difficult to troubleshoot when getting an error. Sometimes it may give you an error code but never telling you why exactly for a example maybe a function did not carry out. So now that requires new users to look up the error code to see what it actually means and why certain things are not working for them ehich i feel uses unnecessary time of the user

Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Excel

Excel had a wider variety of features and abilities

Google Docs

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Excel is by far the better, more powerful product
Daniel
  • Industry: Management Consulting

I wouldn't be able to do my job without it!

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

As an Operations Manager of a small company I wear many hats in what I do on a day to day basis (Accountant, CFO, COO, Projects Manager, etc). I use excel to analyze financial data, create/monitor projects, oversee day to day operations, and many more tasks. I wouldn't be able to do my job without Excel and would highly recommend that every organization take advantage of what this software has to offer.

Pros

This software is absolutely essential to my job on a day to day basis. The amount of functionality this software has is incredible (far superior to other products on the market). What I love most about this software is the way you can take raw data and create a formula, algorithm, graph, chart, etc that can tell a very detailed story. As an operations manager of a small company I have to wear many hats and all of my projects typically begin and end with Excel. Even though this product is more expensive to other free alternatives on the market, I would still consider Excel a must-have within any organization.

Cons

The price can be a determining factor for some people given there are free alternatives on the market today, but I would still recommend getting Excel because in the end you are getting more than what you pay for. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using this software but there are numerous amounts of instructional videos online on how to use some of the complicated formulas this software is capable of. However, with a little bit of practice you will be able to interpret raw data with ease.

Google Slides, WPS Office and Apache OpenOffice Calc

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

I chose Excel over these alternatives simply because of the amount of functionality Excel has to offer. I enjoy the User Interface Excel offers and Excel is also more compatible to other devices, programs, and softwares than anything else on the market.
Harshil
Harshil
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Analysis begins

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

Best, better and growing at an wonderful levdl day by day. I recommend it to all analysts.

Pros

Calculations and formula interpretation is the major of excel. I worked a lot on data analysis and I used the formula feature frequently. I also like the tutorials and help section in excel. The most feature I like is the Pivot table because it is just an wide level of analysis in a single sheet. Just by putting rows and columns in appropriate way, I can generate a lot of things like revenue, profits, productivity, production data and much more. The Microsoft internal software networking within word, put and excel is too good. The dashboard creation of excel works for me and also speaks for me because it is doing a work of 10 people. I love it.

Cons

My cons are also on formula. I like to have a separate formula section in excel where we are able to see formula which we can used or which are applicable. This update can solve a lot of things automatically without using YouTube.

SAP Analytics Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Because it is world wide acceptable and can be easily modified into a required format. For me, my whole production datas comes in a excel format thus excel is now in my blood .
Ozlem

Almost essential

Reviewed on 2021/03/20

I use Excel each day in my business and in my own life and I have been utilizing it throughout recent years and I never had any issue and the best thing is it's an across the board apparatus and no compelling reason to utilize different devices like 2 or 3 devices to complete the work.

Pros

Excel is my go-to application for everything from straightforward data sets to more intricate revealing and dashboards. The most significant part of Microsoft Excel is that when I use it consistently for accounting page angles in my business. I love that it is simple and easy to understand in helping me with assembling my rotate tables. I can use the lines and sections effectively where it is not difficult to put any information data effortlessly in a solitary sheet. The wide range of functions it offers might be frustrating at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it becomes one of the most useful software in your life.

Cons

You cannot recover the password for a file once you have lost it. You can't work together (in a group climate) which you can do in Google Sheets. It very well might be difficult to show the condition for an all-encompassing component notwithstanding a few cells that the condition is identifying with if the worksheet is immense.

Amanda
  • Industry: Accounting

Excel just makes life better

Reviewed on 2022/09/15

Having multiple reports to create and a large amount of data to sort out I would not want to have to do this without excel, that's for sure. Pivot tables for instance, dramatically cut downtime spent trying to figure out what it is I need at that time. It's done almost instantly, it really is great.

Pros

When I started using excel several years ago I had never seen it or anything like it before. Now I could not imagine life without it. I use it in my spare time just for fun. The features are incredible. I learn something new everyday and it's exciting, especially for someone in my profession where many tasks are time sensitive. Everything about it makes your life easier. My excitement has even rubbed off on to my co-worker who is learning new things everyday and before that never gave it a second thought. If I could have a computer for just one reason it would absolutely be for Excel!

Cons

Tough question. Maybe if I had to say something, it would be the error messages. But then again you can always turn them off!

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Excel

Google sheets is great as well but it just does not compare to excel, not even close in my opinion. But if need be, it is a decent alternative.
Jorden

Microsoft Excel is the most advanced and intuitive spreadsheet software there is!

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I use Microsoft Excel on a daily basis with my online business. One of the main reasons I use it is to keep records of my taxes. I can have multiple sheets that link to each other and allow me to see what my income and expenses are. But I use it for a wide range of other reasons. Whether it's for keeping track of client records or making graphs of key metrics inside my business. MS Excel is a must have for any business owner!

Pros

The uses of MS Excel are endless! Working within the spreadsheet you can do so many things. For instance, keeping logs or running totals or data. You can then turn that data into various types of graphs. They have so many templates to choose from to get you started. With these templates, you can make budgets, to do lists, planners, calendars, financial reports, loan calculators, resumes, contact lists, financial models, statistical analyses and even keep track of your taxes! I have so many various types of spreadsheets I use. I even created a custom fat loss calculator for my clients! Like I said MS Excels capabilities are endless!

Cons

One of the things I dislike about MS Excel is it can be expensive when upgrading from an old version to a new version. But for what it does and how much you'll probably use it, it can be worth the cost. Sometimes there are issues when someone with an older version is getting shared data from a newer version. When this happens there can be conflict and the software may not work right.

Also, there is somewhat of a learning curve especially when it comes to using formulas. I have had to look up youtube videos numerous times on how to use certain formulas which did take time.

Zavud
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Review for Excel

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Pros

I have been studying science for almost 6 years (my bachelor + my master) and I always need the help of Microsoft Excel when it comes to working with data. The software might not be the easiest when you use it for the first time, but once you understand and learn more of it, you will see how useful it actually is. I do a lot of research projects at my university and I always have to collect data for different purposes and subjects. After the collection of data, I always enter them on an Excel sheet orderly. It is very easy to insert my data into an Excel sheet for further calculation. What I personally think is when your data is too big, Microsoft Excel is the best software to deal with the problem. What I love most about this software is it incredibly saves my time. Because, I do a lot of calculation after having my data sorted on an Excel sheet. Excel does very complicated calculations in a considerably short time period that would probably take me days if I did it manually with my calculator. Last but not least, it enables me to create graphs and diagrams based on what my data shows. It is very helpful to analyze my data and present it clearly.

Cons

What I like least about this software is it is not smart enough to detect the errors that I might have done while entering my data on an Excel sheet. Especially it sucks when the software does automatic calculations with my data and since there might be some errors, I might end up with an incorrect result (e.g., graphs, diagrams) that is unacceptable in the case of science. I would also argue that automatic graph suggestion by the software (assumed based on my data) is not always correct. Sometimes I am suggested a diagram, for example, that does not make sense at all. I personally think Excel's ability to create graphics and diagrams is less accurate than the other software like R programming language.

Ayesha

Best software which makes my life easier

Reviewed on 2019/06/06

I've been using Excel from my collage up to now, it means more than 10 years. Still I couldn't find any better substitute which can replace Excel. Now I use Excel at both my work and also for my personal stuff. All the formulas, pivots, connections are really helpful for the business use. Same time I use Excel for my personal purposes such as an expense tracker and a budget planner. If you can become an expert on Excel its gonna really help you to build your confidence at work and also to do your work faster than the others. All Time Best Spreadsheet Software.

Pros

Well, I would just say Everything, but to more specific, I really love to work in the Excel by using short keys, it helps you to speed your work. Then it would be the formulas and the most useful would be vlookup/hlookup. Those are the things which makes my life easier on a daily basis. I usually don't even open the calculator no matter how simple the calculation is, it will always be Excel.

Also I really love the Pivots and tables which are really cool, accurate and nice. Also everything can be customized in the exact way we wanted. Same time its very secure, you can protect the worksheet or the book. Having all these great features I use Excel even for any documentation needs instead of Word.

Cons

Am just a normal user who used Excel at work and also for my personal analysis/documentation purposes. But I'm not an Excel pro who knows Macro and all that. Hence this software satisfies all my needs, so I cant think of any cons at the moment provided that I don't even get the maximum out of this amazing software.

The only issue I have here in Excel is there is no inbuilt auto correction or a grammar, spell checker. I know we can always use F7 for that but it would be great if it is possible to underline the missed spell words by the the time we are typing them.

Ravinder
Ravinder
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Powerful tool for data visualization, analysis, calculation and presentations

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

We use Microsoft Excel to maintain large data set, perform calculations and data visualization across each department. We also use the excel spreadsheet as a client deliverable format as it is present, graphs and charts are easy to digest and allow easy modification at both ends.

Pros

Microsoft Excel spreadsheet is the most widely used tool across organizations to maintain a large data set in a tabular format, to perform calculations, for visualization and analysis. Excel supports basic mathematical functions including filter, sort, color code, add, subtract, multiply, divide to much-advanced formulas such as pivot table, if-else etc. for data manipulation. Excel has built-in support for macros which can automate your manual task and can save a lot of time. Even if you are naïve user of excel and want to apply some functions, user community support is quite extensive. All you have to do is just type ‘how to do XYZ in excel’ and you would get ready answers. Excel is also very useful tools for basic graphs and charting and if you want to take analytics to a pro-level then it supports integration with advanced analytics tools such as Power BI. Autosave feature and excel subscription as a part of Office 365 allow you to save your excel files on the cloud which can be accessed anywhere using internet connectivity.

Cons

Features on Excel mobile App are somewhat limited. Large size excel file makes your system slow, time-consuming and sometimes it even crashes. If you want pro-level expertise in Excel, you need to undergo training. The good part is that excel online tutorials are widely available across multiple platforms such as YouTube, Courseera, etc.

Excel help my working efficiency

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Most time in regular using excel is very good in hand. And it is compatible with all other Microsoft family software, so it's output data can be directly used in other related software tools, like chart, grids, files and data sources.
For usually using excel tool is enough for different users in many fields, such as student, science researching, accounting, financial calculation, engineering data analysis or event programmer developing software on it.

Pros

1. it's formula function totally replaced my calculator tool or similar ones.
2. convenient cell operation for formula propagate or serial copying
3. if error occurs in the formula in cell, it is easy to check each step's result to find the root cause.
4. powerful online help for current operation focus as formula, operation, variable change, parameter usage, etc.
5. Macro recording function make dummy user can repeat the operation in huge data.
6. More flexible VBA scripts support make it possible build a easy trigger and running tool software.
7 widely used drawing function make it show more fabulous graphic with text to explain the data.
9, powerful statistic data visualization function make it easy to show the data in many axis

Cons

1. sometime there is interruption and without saving the latest version or recover the latest version in time.
2. free trail is limited time frame.
3. can not get password recovered in the excel file if you lost your password to open it.
4. when frequently processing huge data like more than 1 million rows, the file size will be increase much more, and it is not decrease right after you delete these huge data.
5. auto transfer from outside data source is not efficient, like convert txt data to excel cells, more than 1 million row will cost a lot of time to converting.

Still the Best for Spreadsheets

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

Excel helps us with data gathering, performance tracking and even team projects. It allows our teams to just work on getting tasks done while Excel keeps track of progress using carefully set up formulas. The locking features within the software also mean that you can control how the sheets are used so nothing "breaks".

Pros

Excel is our go-to app for everything from simple databases to more complex reporting and dashboards. The upgrades with Office 365 means we now have the use of even more powerful collaboration and sharing tools while using Excel. For example, we commonly use Excel for very quick data collection across multiple units by simply setting up a sheet and sharing it. This allows multiple users to input data with little to no syncing issues and live updates (see where everyone is and which cell they are editing). For repetitive data cleanups, Excel's macros work very well and are fully supported even in Mac OS environments. As an Excel power user, the ability to create you own "ribbon" and stock it so all buttons you use most are together is pure gold!

Cons

Two of my Excel pet peeves are processing speed and "hidden" data. Now Excel has 1.04 million rows and thousand of columns. The program is pretty quick once you're working with a few hundred rows of data but once you get into the thousands things start to slow down. The second issue to the inclusion of data that increases the file size. This can happen when you are copying and pasting data between files and can be difficult to troubleshoot. For example, I've seen files with less than 100 rows and 3 columns of data with a file size of 5MB. Most to the time you will end up copying the data in something "clean" like a text file and then putting it back into Excel.

Neeraj
Neeraj
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Best Microsoft Tool for Data Management

Reviewed on 2021/09/05

I am preparing data using the tables for presentations and for easy handling and access. The formulas provided and their functions help us to ensure that our results are upto the point. Mostly I love to use the Pivot table, as they create a relationship between the various sets of data that I am using. The shortcuts provided by Microsoft Excel helps the user to enter the data in easy way. I work with lots of worksheets at daily basis. It allows me to provide data to my team to create different forms of it for monthly and weekly reports for our clients.

Pros

It has wide and amazing features to implement over the work. Most important of all is Conditional formatting and Pivot tables which are mostly used in data management and data sorting. Print Optimisation and Absolute references are also used in managing the cells.

Product is quite easy to use as you know the work and implementation of the tools and features and anyone can work over it whether he is a beginner or proficient.

I had to work with the spreadsheets for managing the client data and sorting them according to the requirements. So, the best solution for my work was to use excel and it helped us and my organization a lot. The performance of this tool was totally mind-blowing.

Cons

Yes, sometimes I feel that there are some certain features that are missing like there is no protection feature for cell, workbook or sheet protection. No links to other spreadsheets are provided at all, you can rotate the text and no checkboxes are given.

Apart from that, there are some features that are difficult even for daily users like Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), most of the users struggles in it. Macros and Automation is also somewhere difficult in some areas. But with my business, it was not difficult at all to maintain all this as we were trained at it and we have to use only some specific features for the data management. Overall experience is great.

Khalid
Khalid

powerful analytical and data managing tool

Reviewed on 2022/10/20

My overall experience with app/software/SAAS can be summed in the follwing points:A. The given app/software/SAAS has been solving the following business problems :- organisation of data- data entry- preparing accounting statements- comparison of data- B. i have been able to realize the following benefits with the help of the given app/software/SAAS :- data analysis- budgeting- sales forecast-account - work sheet of staff

Pros

Pros : i found the following features as most impactful:- analysis of large amount of data- exceellent tool to edit or summarise data- data visulaisation tools- data calculation tools- tabulation of dataYes the product is quite easy to use for: - fiteration of desired data- sorting and calculating of data- presentation of data as charts & graphs- pivot tables could be used easily- fast calculation of data Yes i was successfully able to implement the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes quite smoothly and easily as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides..

Cons

Cons : I found the following features that were either missing or could be improved:- database aspect missing- human error probability is maximum- proper user guide missing- ability to recover lost filesI found the following features or aspects of the product that are difficult to use:- pictures alignment with cells- collaborative working becomes difficult- difficult to use macros - difficult to handle mathematical equations and formula- mobile application difficult to use No, the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes not so much difficult as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Extremely powerful spreadsheet software that is very versital

Reviewed on 2018/07/09

Easy to keep your data in an organized way for quick analysis.

Easy to keep your data in an organized way for quick analysis.

Pros

Has integrated plotting routines and is very easy to use with math functions performed on cells. Can also be used for organizing non numeric inputs too. Has several choices on types of plots that can be selected in order to fit the data type be used. Once data is inputted analysis is easy to implement. Using formulas is also easy on all of the data or any portion of the data, all you have to do is select the portion of the data you want the formula to act on. If you have trouble finding the ways to use the formula or selecting how to input the formula you can just do a search online for the question you have on how to implement it. It's that easy, since Excel is so widely used. It is also great for inputting data from other software programs in various formats. Also it is easy to copy and paste the charts and plots into other software programs which makes it easy to back up the point you are making in any report or research you are generating.

Cons

Can be a little hard to format types of data at times since Excel wants to truncate leading and trailing zeros in numbers inputted. Some programs will not allow you to copy and paste charts or graphs into them but the list of programs that will not allow this is short. Also some programs have certain data formats that are not compatible with with Excel data formats , this is not a big deal though as most data can be reformatted for Excel to accept with a little effort. Also the plotting routines are a bit inflexible at times and it can be frustrating when you want display your data in a certain way.

Ajinkya (AJ)
Ajinkya (AJ)
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Microsoft Excel always excels!!

Reviewed on 2021/09/23

I have been using Microsoft Excel for the last 10 years, and this software has never ceased to amaze me by the amount of features it has packed into it. I started using it as a student when completing my Civil Engineering degree, then used it even more when I was working as a structural engineer, used it again when doing my masters and using it even now when working as an engineer again - on a daily basis!! Through all these stages I have found new features, explored them and realized them to be so useful in simplifying my day to day work. As an engineer I have to perform complicated calculations, manage huge amount of data, present that data to clients for them to make sense of it, and Excel is a one stop solution for that. I realize that even after over a decade of use, I have managed to merely scratch the surface. There were times when I thought I wish Excel had this feature, and if I made the effort to check it online it shows up that the software had that particular feature all along. Add to that the option of programming Macro's by writing a code of merely recording steps that I do repeatedly, it just reduces the tedious jobs of a 100 steps to a click of the button. Its so easy. Moreover, it has been a part of the Microsoft Office suite and thus its easily accessible to the masses. Add to that having the online Microsoft 365 functionality, with OneDrive, you can access Excel and your work from anywhere around the globe. I definitely recommend learning this software.

Pros

I have been using the software for over a decade and I have come to just love the following features.
1. Formulas - You can find over 100s of formulas to apply within the software, to give you the necessary output. They have been conveniently sorted into groups like Logical, Text, Lookup, Math & Trigonometry. I have come to use the HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX, the Logical formulas and the trigonometry formulas a lot owing to the nature of my work. Another neat feature is the use of definition. This makes it easier to define a cell to have a specific name and then refer that name in the formula. That way when I click on a cell to see the formula I can clearly understand the formula based on the variable name, instead of referring the cells.
2. Under the Data tab, I love the Text to Column function along with the What If analysis. Text to Column helps me separate a string of text into different columns based on a specific character like a letter or symbol. The most used feature of What If is the Goal Seek function wherein I can find set a cell to a target value and then tell excel to change a variable to get the target value.
3. The Excel graphs are so intuitive. You just select the data and make a graph out it, its that simple. And the variety of plots and graphs available is astounding. Really helps in data visualization in presentations.
4.Macros - It really helps in productivity as I can have a Macro programming do the tedious work for me with just a click of a button.

Cons

There is hardly anything that I would criticize about the software. Since even today I am still understanding the load of features and functions it has to offer. However, if I talk about the thing I like the least is how the formulas are presented. Since I am structural engineer I have to present design calculations, and I use PTC Mathcad and Microsoft Excel interchangeably based on my need. Mathcad has this beautiful way of presenting the calculations, because its made for that. However, I would love to see that feature make its way in Excel as well. Wherein I can have a line output the applied formula complete with Greek Symbols without having to painstakingly embed a formula, which again works just as a visual aid but does not actually calculate any value. It would be neat feature to have. Moreover, on the rare occasion that Excel crashes and my work saved on a Local Drive is lost, Excel gives me the opportunity to restore that work. But its not always easy to select the file I want to save. Sometimes the data is different, the files shows that its a more recent one but the data within the file shows otherwise. Those are the only two things which I don't like.