VersionOne Reviews

VersionOne

All-in-one agile project management

4.1/5 (45 reviews)

The continuous delivery platform by VersionOne

Reviewed on 3/28/2019

We have implemented it to our new project and it simply enhances the speed of the delivery and help in compliance and ensure the audit. The project implemented with continuum help in simplification & the identification with the help of performance metrics to ensure the end-to-end continuous delivery. It also makes uniform release automation.

Pros

Version Continuum provides the platform to boost the software development process with DevOps methodologies and reduces the risk and enhances the quality. Continuum provides the best integration with third-party tools like JIRA, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Bamboo, AWS, BitBucket and many more which make it an enterprise level DevOps tool. Issue tracking through code, binaries and deploy after the successful test help in enhancing the delivery process. We can also analyse the risk by using the metrics before releasing the code to the production environment. To maintain the security compliance the agentless architecture helps as no additional software is needed to install on remote host.

Cons

Continuum comes with the lot of features to cover all the aspects in software development which makes it complex at the time of implementation. VersionOne should focus on support and documentation should be made easy. Continuum can enhance its setup wizard so implementation can be done with less time spending.

We use this to track projects and the progress of those projects

Reviewed on 3/7/2018

VersionOne allows me to help track and plan work for multiple teams across my foundation. it keeps moat of my day to day information with my high level project overview information in a single platform.

Pros

VersionOne allows us to track an idea all the to completion. We use it to break projects into Epics, the stories, and then into workable tasks for our development team. Two of our teams work within sprint boundries, whikle another team uses the KanBan features. I can see the progress of either team at any given time.

Cons

The Epic or Portfolio portion of VersionOne seem to be an after thought. Not all subscriptions use them, so they are not consistently used within reporting and other functionality. We use the Epic portion to track big pieces of functionality, but have to tie them to overall projects out of the software. The tool bar is not available in all screens, so navigation can be tricky if you do not know the quirks of VersionOne.

agile development issue tracking

Reviewed on 1/30/2019

My overall experience with VersionOne is mostly good, with some annoyances at not being able to find (or do) certain things as quickly as I'd like.

Pros

VersionOne offers the ability to create and track issues, stories, defects etc. I like the filterable pages including storyboards and taskboards. I like the "My Work" view that quickly gets me to the things that are assigned to me. I like the click and drag features on most of the pages, for example, dragging a story from "in progress" to "done" rather than going into the edit menu and using the dropdown menu.

Cons

Some of the things seem to be lacking in intuitive nature. For example, there have been some pages that I'm on where I feel like I should be able to log my time from, but instead I'm left clicking around for awhile before I find where I can do that. I've found it's not always very easy to find what I'm looking for quickly.

The problem of multitasking is finally solved

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

The Version One is not said to be the easiest tool to use. For this reason it can be a good idea to create a precise plan of all the things you need to do with the help program and follow it step by step. Yet, the best thing there can still be is taking your time to get to know the program better.

Pros

There are three main factors to make your work easier with the help of the online-assistant. These are: an easy procedure to download the data, perfectly developed analyzing and tracking systems and beautifully developed filters. The Version One software has it all. It would be hard to find a better solution for struggling with the simultaneous work on several different documents of the different format.

Cons

There is only one significant problem about the Version One. Even though it is very efficient and has so many useful functions, it is very inconvenient to use. The is not only for the unexperienced users, but for every sort of them. It usually takes a lot of time to more or less get on with the program.

A very good software, with the best in market features.

Reviewed on 2/26/2017

This is the premium software when it comes to project management - esp Agile. It has the best features such as creating stories, sub-stories - ease of splitting a story into two sub- stories was superb.
Also the features such as tracking the story progress with all the test-cases, design etc being attached under/to the story was very useful feature.

Tracking the burn-down charts and velocity very helpful especially in the sprint review meetings.

Only down-side was the pricing. The top(fortune 500) companies could easily afford this - especially who had:
1) the infrastructure to host the system,
2) Users scattered all over the globe
3) A strong local network with robust firewalls.
4) A strong urge to be secure (eg the pharma or financial institutions)

But when it comes to tier- II companies, who are looking to save costs at every opportunity, maybe not prefer this...might consider JIRA Agile or others.

Pros

1. Best in class features - a comprehensive bouquet of all the necessary features.
2. Good UI and even better usability.

Cons

Only one that is pricing.

Great company with a solid vision and plan to get there

Reviewed on 12/10/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

While I view the tool as the least important part of an Agile transformation as it has to be an enable of people and process, it cannot be a prohibitor and it must keep pace with the changing landscape. VersionOne has always been quick to solicit feedback and then adjust their roadmap to enable the capabilites such as SAFe. We have been able to expand the use of VersionOne beyond development into other areas of our business and had great success. Their willingness to integrate with other tools, including other ALM vendors like JIRA is a strong bonus.

Cons

There are always features that a different vendor may do in a way that generates a question as to why VersionOne doesn't do it that way. Prior to their decision to integrate with JIRA, this was a challenge for several of our teams that use JIRA for issue tracking.

Agile done right

Reviewed on 8/12/2018

It is helping my organization in implementing Agile. It is a boon for scrum masters.

Pros

The best feature is ability to add custom fields. It lets you customize the filters as per your need. I also like the fact that it has a clean interface coupled with all features of agile such as sprint planning, scheduling. backlogand project planning. It is one of the best software suited for agile.

Cons

It is slow. Takes forever to load the backlog if it is huge.

Excellent project tracking and management tool

Reviewed on 11/25/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I used VersionOne while working on a software product and phone app for Lutron Electronics that helped end the user control wireless shades at the touch of a button. VersionOne enables me to manage software bugs, project deadlines, and end user feedback on an interconnected and robust framework.

VersionOne provides a holistic view of an IT project, and fits right in with Agile development. Compared to TFS for .NET projects, it is at par or better in almost all respects.

Cons

Inconsistent customer service was an issue once or twice, but could have just been a bad day.

Agile Project management - Tick!

Reviewed on 1/19/2018

Pros

It is one of the best project management softwares I have used. It gives you a good tracking mechanism of how many days are required, you can reduce the number of hours and see the velocity of the work progress.

Cons

It is constantly being modified, it is a good thing (and a lot of change is bad as well). I had made a suggestion on a feature, I never got my ticket answered though.

We use VersionOne to manage developer tasking and customer requirements

Reviewed on 8/1/2018

Excellent time and issue tracking. It allows us to easily get a quick overview of what everyone on the team is working on.

Pros

VersionOne's user interface is clean, easy to use, and powerful. It's responsive an allows me to see what my team's working on at a glance. I like how easily VersionOne integrates with our agile workflow.

Cons

Price is a factor. There are cheaper solutions out there especially for smaller teams. Some features can be a little confusing to use properly without prior training such as splitting issues between sprints.

Works well

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Pros

Team rooms are great for planning and tracking. Makes it easy to keep track of stories, defect, and epics.

Cons

It seems like the site changes every time you login. Although the constant improvement is appreciated, it can be frustrating when things move around frequently.

A very robust work tracking tool for software development, but also overly complicated at times.

Reviewed on 4/6/2018

Pros

Excellent reporting tools for upper management. Can get very nice graphs showing burndown, get a detailed view of status of sprints and progress of work planned.

Cons

Unfortunetly, filling out work done on a day to day basis is time consuming and clunkly, and planning takes a long time because of the lag associated with an online service. At times after clicking on something to update, one is faced with a several second wait in order to start typing, and then the same to confirm and save the transaction. In such it makes it difficult to actually get engineers to use it consistently. A tool like this is only useful if used consistently. Unfortunetly, the complexity of it makes it more of a chore to work with and often the tool fails simply because people on our team don't want to use it.

Secure info, needs improvements

Reviewed on 9/19/2017

Pros

We purchased this because it was more secure than the software we used previously. It was important for us to protect the projects we were working on.

Cons

Our developers created several Google Chrome plugins to enhance the features of Version One. We needed a way to sort and color code our branded projects. We needed a way to show how old a card was getting. We needed a way to add a deadline for a card. Etc, etc.

Extremely recommenced for SAFE

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Pros

-Apt for SAFE
-Great reporting
-Capable of running multiple trains in SAFE
-Micro level tracking and reporting

Cons

-Note very user friendly
-Will take some time to get familiar with

Great tool to help you make better decisions providing visibility

Reviewed on 4/14/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

VersionOne is one of the finest agile tool. It helps team be more agile and show the details of time spent vs time remaining to help plan and execute in a sprint

Pros

Reporting is awesome

Cons

It can get very clicky, there should be more shortcuts

Could be better

Reviewed on 8/29/2018

Pros

I like the Epic Kanban board and the ability to edit it.

Cons

The easy of use could be much better. Cumbersome for a product manager to brainstorm and build long term roadmaps.

6.0/10

Version one

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Overall i am happy with it

Pros

We can use it for agile methodology which improves the deployment quality and standards.The best part of version one is that any one can use it with a minor training

Cons

Sometimes it lacks and is server based so if the server is down we can't use it

Great reporting for execs, horribly inefficient for everyone else

Reviewed on 5/22/2018

This tool has provided nothing but headaches on a daily basis.

Pros

There are definitely a lot of features (for better or for worse) and reporting is pretty comprehensive if you can figure out how to use it.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Super clunky UI that is an eyesore to look at. It takes far too many clicks to do everything. Finding items is always a chore. The testing portion of the tool feels like an afterthought. Even working with the APIs requires too much effort. Honestly the whole tool feels like it was designed for waterfall, then later had agile features bolted on.

0.0/10

Agile Your Way

Reviewed on 1/29/2014
Review Source

I've been an Agile Coach and VersionOne System Administrator for 2 years and this is one great tool. Having used other Agile Project Management tools that had a significant learning curve I can say that VersionOne is far easier for teams to pick up and learn.

VersionOne's biggest strength is that teams are able to work they way they need to without the tool getting in the way. VersionOne becomes a valuable tool that teams can leverage to manage their work and enhance their agility.

Pros

Incredibly easy to learn.
Scales easily across large organizations.
VersionOne technical and sales team go above and beyond for their clients.
Customizable.

Cons

The tool is so flexible that you really need to understand the long term impacts before making changes such as adding custom or required fields. I recommend partnering with VersionOne's technical team to optimize your configuration.

I'd rather use a physical task board, but I can make this work with some tinkering

Reviewed on 5/15/2018

Distributed task boards for distributed teams. Integration to some degree with other platforms such as ALM and ServiceNow.

Pros

It has a bunch of features and can integrate with other tools and platforms. For teams that are split up geographically, something like this is probably the best option.

Cons

It's really cumbersome and slow, and the features are not always what you want or where you expect them.

4.0/10

it is a good application to work scrum however it is not very intuitive

Reviewed on 7/4/2018

Pros

the application is good and complete, it has nice colors for the user experience however it needs improvements in the notifications behind the tickets' stories on the board

Cons

I would like to improve the option of notifications despite being the owner of a ticket every time a question is asked or a ticket is moved it is not possible to receive notifications

Good Agile program for software development company

Reviewed on 12/21/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

VersionOne keeps our past, present, and future work all in one place. Searching generally helps me find what I'm looking for.

Cons

The fonts and formatting when writing in tasks or tests is not very good - especially when using numbered entries, bullets, or copying and pasting.

VersionOne - a good tracking tool

Reviewed on 10/14/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I used VersionOne on a daily basis to input stories, tasks, acceptance tests, and regression tests. For the most part it is a good tool to work out of current iteration. It takes familiarity of options and navigation to get the most out of your experience

Pros

Data is retained well and can be found. It is nice that it is a web based service so you can access it from work or remotely whenever needed.
Metrics are good for those that know how to customize the screen and data.

Cons

Regression Test planning is not so great. You can't reuse a Regression Plan that you created before. It is an exercise to create the regression testing containers each time we have a hardening phase.
When you switch to a different project, it changes the project for your login. This makes it difficult to be in one project (maybe looking at past data) and input into another project.
Format of text in fields is not always so great

6.0/10

Happy Product Owners: VersionOne helps my teams deliver value!

Reviewed on 1/28/2014
Review Source

VersionOne helps my scrum teams be more efficient, and focused on customer delivery over process busy work. The interface is easy to learn and use, and it works pretty much like the paper boards we started using pre-VersionOne. The epics X-function working across the org, and teams rooms help improve efficiency.

Pros

Easy to Learn. Many ways to customize the overall look, and options from the org level down to the team views. The use of EPICS allows our teams to communicate and collaborate better. Using Team Rooms simplifies our group mechanics.

Cons

The VersionOne reporting and analytics are not as strong as the app itself. V1's APIs are helpful, and needed in some cases, to create management ready reporting. I Still find myself using the handy export to Excel features for reports too often.

Good product, needs interface work.

Reviewed on 12/21/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

V1 does a good job of guiding an organization to use proper scrum methodology, while allowing for many customizations.

Cons

The interface is a little clunky. Some of the add ons don't work in the manner you'd think.