Clio

4,7 (1 591)
Cloud-based legal practice management software

(1 591)

J.P.
J.P.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio is the best option for a solo or small firm law practice

Reviewed on 2019/11/04

After 3 years, I am still working at discarding habits and practices built up over 25 years as a practicing attorney to better incorporate Clio's feature into my daily work flow. One of Clio's driving philosophy's is to make lawyers more productive with their time, and make lawyers services more accessible to persons that need legal advice. Clio's focus on providing multiple access points, including mobile apps designed from the ground up with these two goals in mind, will pay off for both Clio and my practice in the long run.

Pros

The Clio platform is not intended to be a closed, proprietary system. Instead, it forms the foundation for the day to day management of leads, clients, time, documents, and billing, supplemented by almost 200 third party integrations, with new offerings coming on line each month. Clio offers unlimited cloud storage and IOS/Android apps making all of your firm information, clients, and documents available 24/7. Clio continues to innovate and as the leading provider to small/medium law firms throughout the world, I don't worry about whether they will be in business a few years from now. Finally, all, yes all, of your data saved in Clio is easily exportable should you decide to change to a different vendor.

Cons

Clio's growth means that feature changes must be more fully vetted as they are used by more than 150,000 legal professionals. As they broaden their perspective to encompass larger firms, the pace of change may continue to be more deliberate. The movement and management of files without a third party integration, such as FasterLaw, is cumbersome. Clio's own integrations with Office365 for emails and calendaring remain a work in progress.

CosmoLex and Rocket Matter

Reasons for Choosing Clio

At the time I decided to look at alternatives, in 2017, the product was getting worse, not better.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Largest user base and least likely to get assimilated or go out of business, forcing another vendor change.
Allison

Clio Manager

Reviewed on 2024/02/15

Overall Clio is great for a firm who have large cases, and need a program that is a one-stop shop.

Pros

Overall Clio works well, it is a very efficient online management software for PI cases. I like the fact that it is compatible with YoCierge( a medical record retrieval company) which makes case management flow easily.

Cons

The only problem I have with Clio is the facts how it process the expenses for each case.

Kathy
  • Industry: Law Practice

You cannot rely on anything that employees of Clio tell you to be true.

Reviewed on 2023/01/20

Onboarding was a nightmare, with technical glitches that caused hours and hours of additional work and clean up. Syncing our contacts resulted in the destruction of our already used and curated list. Misrepresentations were made by salespeople as to what the software was capable of doing. As a result of all of that, we were made reasonable promises, in writing, as a condition of our not quitting Clio right then, and cutting our losses and time. Now, the first time a change has come up where that promise needs to be implemented, we were told it would not be honored. This resulted in many more hours of back and forth with "customer service". We have wasted two years of integrating our firm with this company, which we now have to undo to go to another service, costing us untold more hours of work. If they had not offered these promises, we would have left Clio during the onboarding process. Although we would not have been happy with our experience with Clio, we wouldn't have felt as strongly about not doing business with this company. Now, we have no option but to leave this service, because we cannot continue to do business with a company that places such little value on their clients and on the promises that they admit were made.

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about Clio at this time. Integrating our firm into their software was a major learning experience, which will guide me with the next software I choose.

Cons

The items added in the time that we have been with Clio have caused no improvement to our use of the product, although they use these additions as an excuse for raising their prices significantly. The "client portal" that they added does not even allow you to see if clients have viewed documents, which their old version did. Their new payment system only adds to their profits, so why would they utilize that as an excuse to pass on additional costs to their clients?

Rocket Matter and CARET Legal

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Even though Clio was more expensive than our other final possible choices, we were made representations about what this software could do that exceeded the other offerings in assistance with our needs. However, once we started with Clio, we were immediately told that some of those representations were not functions of Clio at all.

Response from Clio

Hi Kathy,
I'm very sorry to hear that about your experience with Clio. A member of our team is contacting you directly with you to work through these challenges
Kind Regards,
Jessica

Sana

Clio Review

Reviewed on 2023/12/12

Very positive and I would highly recommend. I use Grow and Manage and would never change to anything else now because these platforms are customisable, easy to use and very comprehensive. I have previously used other platforms and systems but Clio is by far the best on ever my level. Customer support and service is also great.

Pros

It’s easy to use and covers everything I need it to do. From letter/document creation to billing and invoices. Everything is centralised in one place for accurate record and ease of access.

Cons

It’s very time intensive to set up all the features in the manner you need the system to function to align with your business and there’s not really a guided process for this which would be helpful as some of the set up features can be tricky. It would be helpful to be assigned someone when you first sign up and for them to help you actually set things up the way you need them to be. I also can’t link my emails to Clio as my email:outlook was purchased through a third part (Go Daddy) but I was not aware this was going to be a problem so it would have been helpful if that that was clarified from the outset when I first spoke to Clio so I would have known.

Actionstep

Reasons for Choosing Clio

LEAP had terrible customer service and although I had used them previously when I was employed, using them now as a firm manager, the customer relations and care was horrendous. Once they have you signed up they couldn’t care less about you and it was a nightmare dealing with them.

LEAP

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio was practicle, affordable and comprehensive. It has everything I need for my firm currently as a start up business as has the ability to grow as my business grows with all the in built features.
Nicholas

Lifetime Customer

Reviewed on 2024/01/23

Overall, it is great and I have recommended it to many other friends and colleagues.

Pros

I like that Clio does everything that I need it to do. Full service CRM platform. Also, the helpdesk is always prompt and follows up, so if I have issues, I am able to have them addressed.

Cons

I wish there was a feature where I could sign up for a lifetime license since I don't foresee myself every switching. I'd also like to be able to have a little more input into the changes in Clio. I think that I use it enough to be able to have a good insight into using it for what I need. Possibly some updates to reports.

John
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio Works so you can work.

Reviewed on 2024/01/24

Very good experience. There is always someone to answer your questions via the chat feature. It just works.

Pros

I like the ease of producing bills. I like the integration with my Gmail. Customer support has been excellent from the start. I am having a small problem with integration that they have been working on and I have heard back from them each day.

Cons

I would like to be able to access my files in more of a "file-like interface". It would also be nice if the contents of an Order, say one setting a hearing could be read by AI and prompt you to confirm the creation of a calendar setting.

James
  • Industry: Legal Services

Over five years with Clio and extremely satisfied

Reviewed on 2024/01/24

Overall, I have been extremely pleased with my experience using Clio.

Overall, I have been extremely pleased with my experience using Clio.

Pros

Clio is intuitive and greatly assists me in managing my firm. The dashboard is organized in such a way that I can easily track overall firm finances and open matters. Additionally, the ability to create tasks and sync Clio with my firm's Microsoft account expands the functionality of the product.

Cons

I really do not have any complaints about Clio. When I attempted to use Clio Grow, I simply did not have the time to create the templates that are designed to make the product more valuable to client intake.

martha

Excellent case management software

Reviewed on 2024/01/23

I love Clio!!! I have zero complaints about Clio.

I love Clio!!! I have zero complaints about Clio.

Pros

Clio has changed my practice! The ease of creating documents, logging calls, accessing documents is so easy and intuitive. I can do more in less time.

Cons

I wish I could automate PDFs and not just word docs.

Alison

CLIO SOFTWARE 5 STAR REVIEW

Reviewed on 2024/02/01

My overall experience is wonderful. The customer service is helpful and patient and product itself is easy to use and navigate.

Pros

I like the ease of use and cloud based so its on my phone and computer. The billing features are wonderful and the ease of sending a client a retainer letter and having it signed and paid quickly. I also like how I manage each client and matter on an easy to use interface. It is very customizable.

Cons

When I need to modify an invoice, it can get confusing.

Mark

Couldn't Practice Without It

Reviewed on 2024/01/23

I've used Clio for years and couldn't operate my practice without it. As a solo it allows me to manage my firm without needing much extra admin assistance.

Pros

I love how easy Clio makes it to do nearly all of my day-to-day practice management from invoicing to trust accounting. The calendaring / court rules and document automation is also great.

Cons

I didn't love that they increased the processing fee for Clio Payments not very long after I signed up for it. They did agree to freeze the rate for a few months until it goes up, but I was disappointed they increased it in the first place.

Tami

Clio in our law firm

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

Our greatest benefit to date was when we added the payment links to our invoices and the speed we are now getting paid by clients. They love the online ability to pay for their bill and we love the speed it's processed in. The ease that the monthly billing process has become has also freed up a tremendous amount of time for staff.

Pros

The Clio platform was very easy to implement with our firm's daily usage. The onboarding process was smooth and the learning and transition for staff were easy. The software is meeting our firm's needs on a daily basis. I also appreciate that they listen to suggestions and continue to improve and add features throughout the year. Clio has allowed our monthly billing process to go from a day-long process to an hour process.

Cons

Some of the reporting features need to be fine-tuned or added to. My biggest pet peeve is the limit of 50 items to a page, so you update to 200 but it defaults back to 50 every time you move around between pages.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Tami! We've submitted your reporting recommendation to the Product Team for review. They will be sure to reach out if they require further context.

Nicole

Clio Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Our overall experience with Clio has been fantastic!! The benefit of having all our information (contacts, notes, calendar, documents, etc.) in one program is huge for us as we often end up having to access this information outside of the office. The continued updates that Clio has made since we first began using it several years ago have all been excellent as well.

Pros

The software is easy to use and understand. The transition to Clio from our previous system was relatively seamless and the customer service is fantastic. I like that we can share documents with our clients and are able to see what date and time a client viewed each document. It is also extremely convenient to have our documents stored in Clio so that they can be viewed when we are not physically in the office.

Cons

It would be nice if you could integrate notes from a contact directly into a new matter as you are opening one. Currently, I have to copy and paste each note from the contact into the matter notes. Also, when I put in messages for Mr. Chefalo on people he needs to call back I make a task for him. When he views the tasks on his cell phone, it would be nice if he could simple tap on the phone number in the task and have it directly call the number as opposed to him having to type the number in on his cell phone to make the call. Finally, a client suggested that it would be nice if he had the option to opt in to receiving text messages from Clio any time we share a document with him or generate a bill on his matter.

Peter

All I Need

Reviewed on 2019/10/20

Terrific, a true game changer!

Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be.
Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Margy

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio:
1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful and speeds up management.
2. Clio's billing functionality is really nice. It's one of the more functional back end management tools I've seen, and I really like the way it works. You can integrate it with Quickbooks for easy accounting, which we really appreciate and which looks great on the user end (for clients, when they receive bills).
3. Clio sports a really professional interface, which just looks nice when you're working. It looks grown up and sleek, so if someone peeks over your shoulder or you're working while in the vicinity of clients, it doesn't have a preschool feeling to it.
4. Most important - Clio's customer support is incredible. Have an issue? There are videos you can watch, or people you can talk to. They will literally stay on the phone with you for hours as you troubleshoot issues together, or learn something new. Top notch, seriously.

Cons

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me:
1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used.
2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects. Clio sucks at workflows. A complete rework of how they approach them, and how they look for interface with the staff who are responsible for executing, would go a LONG WAY toward making Clio a more useful application. I think workflows are really the topic that causes Clio to lag behind other software out on the market. I would like to see something in place that allows a user to create a workflow, move tasks around in the list, add subtasks to tasks, and assign triggering dates, secondary dates, etc. It would also be useful to be able to assign various tasks to various users. Until that's in place, I'll be sad about using Clio.
3. A central location for performing various functions. Clio does have a left-hand toolbar that allows you to do SOME things, but not ALL things. It would be good if, from the left-hand menu, I could do each discrete thing that I can do in Clio by clicking a mouse a zillion times. Once that happens, I'll be happier.
4. Document management. I'm out of room, but it is not idea. Too much downloading/uploading. Dropbox is better (for collaborati

MyCase

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio came recommended by another practitioner who had gone solo and had a great experience.
Tanya Mitchell
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio has changed my life!

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

MyCase

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We needed the flexibility that Clio offers for billings. We also have Clio Grow, and it has made new client intake a breeze!

Sage Timeslips

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio had better customer service and unlimited storage space for documents.
Lori
  • Industry: Law Practice

One of the first users of Clio and still give five stars.

Reviewed on 2022/11/15

Overall experience has been fantastic, and I have no intentions of ever-changing software. I will retire using Clio. Clio, along with Clio Grow, has enabled us to develop a smooth process for evaluating potential new clients using an intake questionnaire and customizing a pipeline.

Pros

It's too difficult to describe what is best, I could not manage my practice without this software. It is incredibly user friendly and easy to learn. I use pretty much all aspects of the software on a daily basis and have been using it for more than 10 years. My practice has grown from just one attorney, me, to now four along with paralegals and clerks. Clio has made the growth seamless.

Cons

I don't have any complaints whatsoever. The software has been essential to my practice in all ways.

Time Tracker, CANVAS, Rocket Matter and Google Calendar

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I used these at other firms. When I opened up my own practice I chose to use Clio.

Time Tracker and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Price, options, versatility, tech support.
Carter
  • Industry: Law Practice

First class tech with even more fist class people behind the scenes

Reviewed on 2023/02/24

Highly recommend it like anything it's only as good as the data the users put into it and quite pleased in its reliability.

Pros

Clio is always adapting to improve and take feature requests into consideration while balancing innovation with consistency of interface and only incremental changes so as to not frustrate the user experience with too many changes all the ones. Beyond the tech, right from the beginning many years ago Clio stood out in customer service in terms of being very responsive, striving to find a solution to every problem where available, and being straight up in simply admitting that they don't have certain features developed yet and it's not available rather than trying to do a sales job or sugarcoat the fact that there will always be limitations in software meeting everyone's different needs perfectly. It's a very stable platform, secure, and the developers are even aware to do any sort of systemwide updates during times of low usage.

Cons

Maybe not so much a specific Clio issue, but rather mostly us as a user limited capacity challenge, there are many integrations and improvements which we could be adapting into our system but have just become stalled in locking the bandwidth. Quarterly or semiannually review (soft audit) of how each business such as ours is using the software would be beneficial with a systems person from Clio providing a couple recommendations of next steps that our group could take that would have a significant impact on better utilizing the tools.

PCLaw

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Customer Service #1 for Clio and Amicus had very poor customer service, constantly just providing the same solution (clear our cache lol) and the problems were so much greater. PCLaw was expensive and too resource intensive to make remote work impossible. Both had challenges trying to be desktop solutions moving into the Cloud whereas Clio was born and created in the Cloud, right when I was moving my practice into the Cloud and had previous poor experiences. In 2012 the Law Society of Alberta advised at that time I was the most cloud computing law practice in Canada and when I came across Clio in 2013/14ish I recognized its superiority compared to past experiences.

PCLaw

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Contemporary, ease of interface, intuitive and I could identify that they were just getting warmed up with more features coming.
Leah
  • Industry: Legal Services

I highly recommend Clio to any practice

Reviewed on 2023/05/30

I have been very happy with Clio. I think it really streamlines everything. I am particularly happy with the billing and invoicing features.

Pros

I like the ease of use. We were able to switch over seamlessly with no issues. We were ready to go on day one of launch. It is intuitive and easy to use. We used our previous software for 20 or more years and we were able to switch over with no issues. Everyone in our practice has been able to transition with no issues.

Cons

The only issue I have with Clio is when using it with Quickbooks, when you create a check in Quickbooks with multiple matters on the payment it ports it over as one expense and you have to then separate it out into the different expenses for each file. It creates a situation where you have to put the entries in twice. I think this is a Quickbooks issue more than a Clio issue, however the problems remains that same.

PCLaw, Amicus Attorney and LEAP

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We were being forced to switch from PCLaw and Amicus because they were no longer going to be supporting each other with updates. There were some issues with LEAP's software and the way that we handle practice management that would not have worked for our firm.
Amber

Simple, flexible and user-friendly

Reviewed on 2016/06/24

Right from the outset I have found the support at Clio to be fantastically helpful. It's a big decision working out which product is right for your particular business. Clio, as you expect from most companies in the beginning, were great at informing us what Clio could do and answering our initial questions. However, what I am really impressed about it the continued support from Clio. It does not matter who you speak to, they are friendly, knowledgeable and will do all they can to help you. And if they don't know, which is rare, they will find out and get back to you. And they do get back to you! Plus every phone call is followed up with an email. With regard to the product itself, it is pretty easy to use. Most things are quite logical and therefore you can work it out fairly simply. I am of the view that no product is perfect as every business will have different requirements. In the case of Clio, there are a few very minor things we would like to see available. Clio are continuously developing and improving the product and, I think, everything we have enquired about that is not already a function of Clio, is in the pipeline. However, it is still great for us as it is but we always strive for perfection!

Pros

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Clio. It is very user friendly and the way it looks is very neat. It does not take long to work out exactly what you are looking at and what it all means. For me personally, I do a lot of billing and compared with a previous software package, Clio has saved me a lot of time and it's really easy to keep track of where you are as it automatically incorporates a workflow. Also, setting up new cases is easy and flexible. You are easily able to incorporate your own requirements and information.

Cons

This is quite specific but for us, the biggest drawback is not being able to present the invoice in exactly the way we want (i.e. a front cover summary of figures without the time description wording). There is a lot of flexibility on the invoices which is great but the one thing we can't do is take the wording away from the first page. Our company like to keep the first page of the invoice very simple and clear and then have the narrative on the following pages. We understand, however, that this is being developed by Clio and should be rolled out some time in the next couple of months or so.

Alicia
Alicia

Best in Class for Small Firms

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

In addition to what I wrote above, Clio Management's customer service and technical support are​ great. They are still working out the kinks on the Clio Grow side after acquiring Lexicata (which I also used and was happy to see integrated). I am excited to see what improvements they have in connecting up the two systems.

Pros

I've been using Clio since 2010. I have tried other software over the years. I also originally had to use other software that integrated with Clio, but slowly have been able to reduce subscriptions as Clio built out features. Clio is the best in class, affordable, and the software around which I ultimately chose to build all my systems. I like that Clio allows me to manage the entire client file, including documents and emails, bills, and file shares, all within a single integrated system. Less software is cheaper, easier to manage, helps me capture details, and requires less employee training and management.

Cons

Clio still has some features and kinks to work out. Not everything is intuitive. Its plugin with Outlook is a little slow and I don't like that it strips the attachments from emails when placing them in the file. There still isn't enough flexibility in fee arrangements. It could improve the marketing side quite a bit. And I wish you could edit billing entries in bulk a little easier (especially if you made a mistake in one edit, it doesn't save and you lose ALL your edits -- super annoying). That said, all of these bugs and annoyances get addressed by Clio over time. They continually improve and grow the software. So I don't feel that there are any fatal flaws; just quirks that you learn to work around​.

Owen
  • Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%.

I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box.

There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship.

The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio.

All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API.

Highly recommended.

Pros

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported

Peggy
Peggy
  • Industry: Law Practice

Cleo will solve all your law firm problems

Reviewed on 2021/03/22

My overall experience with Cleo has been fantastic and has changed how I do my daily job for the better. It has made life at work much easier and less stressful. It has allowed me to free up time that's better spent on creating documents forming businesses etc.

Pros

I loved Cleo from the moment a representative gave us an overview of the software and what it had to offer. After that demonstration I couldn't wait to try the software. I love that Cleo allows you to customize the program to your specific law firms needs. There is an enormous amount of ability to customize clients billing and matters. I've never found a software like this one before nor one that allows you so much freedom to make it your own. There are two sections to Cleo Cleo grow and Cleo manage. Cleo grow allows you to enter potential new clients and track their progress as to whether they hire the law firm get referred out or don't hire the law firm. It has saved me from keeping up with two separate spreadsheets which allows me more time to work on important tasks. Once in Cleo grow you can move a client over to Cleo manage once they hire you. Once in Cleo grow everything about your client and their case is all contained on their own individual dashboard. Within that dashboard you can store communications their documents their payment transactions emails billing their time they're expenses etc. And because of the categories you can customize I'm able to enter the important information needed for their particular case and it's no farther than one click away. I have to say the Cleo support and help section is spectacular and one of the best I've ever come across. They have a clear academy which offers training on specific things you can do in the software.

Cons

The only thing I found so far that I'm not fond of with the software is the flat rate billing. Our Law Firm wants to keep track of the time spent on a case even if it's for flat fee. I'm still trying to find a way to best show this on an invoice and after researching Cleo help section they don't seem to have a real clear method of doing it.

Natalie

Clio is great for Client Management

Reviewed on 2023/01/20

Pros

Our law firm has tried a few software companies to help us manage our clients and cases and this has been by far the bests. It is not perfect, but it is user friendly and easy for all to use (from lawyers, law clerks, paralegals, to even our admin and secretaries). We do not use the document feature. I use it to track open client matters, add notes to the case, assign tasks to support staff, calendar meetings, track time, hold contacts, and invoice. I really like that Clio constantly is updating to meet their customer's needs and is open to our suggestions on things that would make the software better. I would definitely recommend this software for law firms.

Cons

I do not like you cannot have two clients to a single matter - we have a lot of husband and wife contacts, so I wish we could connect two clients to a single matter. I use notes constantly and wish there was a way to format the notes like as a word document - highlight, make numbered outlines, add bullet points, change font size, etc.

Stacey
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio was the best investment I made in the early days of my law firm

Reviewed on 2023/12/15

My overall experience has been great. I was in an incubator program with other attorneys starting their own practice and, because I have Clio, I didn't have the struggles with tracking and billing that my peers had. I am glad I started using Clio when I only had a few clients because I have been able to learn as my firm has gown.

Pros

Clio makes it so easy to track of all the things that are important to me: potential clients, active clients, attorney time, billing, firm financial goals, etc. Even when my solo practice was just a side-hustle, Clio Manage more than paid for itself in time-savings and ease of use. Clio customer service has been excellent - the live help is really easily accessible for setup and problem-solving; the online articles and videos are great for on-demand help.

Cons

There is a lot of functionality in Clio that I don't use yet - there is so much that I could be doing with it, but it is hard to make time for the next new thing when I am also running a law firm. There are some add-ons that are marketed as having connectivity to/ compatibility with Clio that are redundant and don't make sense for my practice: for, example, QuickBooks will talk to Clio but the billing and tracking were redundant with what was already happening in Clio (I already billed through clio and I didn't need to do it through QB; and I can categorize spending through my actual bank accounts, so I didn't need it to do that, either). The only thing QB did that Clio didn't *already do* was deal with (part of) payroll for my one assistant (then I found out QB was incorrectly calculating my state worker comp amounts and I dumped QB and got a bookkeeper to help with my employee needs).

Steve

Clio saved us from MyCase

Reviewed on 2023/07/01

We love the ability to actively use our contacts to engage new business opportunities. We also feel quite assured that all matters are proceeding accordingly as we are able to monitor them from a high level to ensure substantial progress.

Pros

The best thing about Clio is that they're not MyCase. They are a breath of fresh air. We were engaged in the misery of MyCase when Clio announced an informative dinner in our area. We went and were amazed by the functionality of their software. We were actually a bit aggressive with Clio as we were having such a bad time with MyCase. They managed to keep us calm and in doing so found themselves a new client. We spent the next month setting up Clio and found ourselves up and running thereafter. We detailed each monumental failure with MyCase and the support staff at Clio were astonished and assured us that they do not act like that. True to their word, the Clio staff was professional and could not have been easier to work with. The first couple of days seemed a bit shaky like we were kids with our first two-wheeled bike but after a brief learning curve, we were up and running. Any issues we had were ably resolved by Clio and we were quite thankful for the number and quality of the support staff. The days of putting a call in and waiting for a call back are over. They are a shining star in a world now devoid of customer service.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like about Clio yet.