Showing 1 198 reviews of 1 147

Clio

Cloud-based legal practice management software

Showing 1 198 reviews of 1 147
Stephen B.

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Reviewed on 2019/07/06

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Yunus P.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Clio: the best on the market

Reviewed on 2021/01/25

Very satisfied.

Pros

The software operates completely in a web browser. No cloud, no software to be installed on your desktop. If you have fast internet, you have fast attorney practice software, simply put. The visual layout is modern, visually appealing and easy to use. Clio is very customizable, and "works well with others" if have partnered with many great other platforms such as Lawpay, Quickbooks, and Zipwhip to name a few.

Cons

So far, nothing we least like about it Clio.

L raymond M.

Best management decision ever

Reviewed on 2020/12/20

Outstanding.

Pros

Clio saved my practice when I went solo in 2013. I could have retired, but I was still loving what I do. Just before my partner decided he no longer wanted to practice, we implemented Clio. My net income went up 50% from having a partner to working solo. His loss was barely noticed. When I took on a new partner in 2019, he was convinced in large part because we subscribe to Clio.

Cons

Tiered pricing. There are features I'd like, but the higher tier price does not justify the move.

Mary ann M.

Great case management program

Reviewed on 2021/01/20

Clio is the first program I open everyday; I would be loss without it.

Pros

Clio is a great cloud based case management program. I can carry my caseload on my mobile phone. I love clio features, such as task, client connect and the integration with other programs.

Cons

The email integration can be improved by reducing the steps to download emails. Nevertheless, I still like the email feature.

Christopher R.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

Overall we believe it has increased our productivity and bottom line tremendously.

Pros

We mainly use the calendar, billing and file storage aspects. All are easy to use and save us a lot of time. the mobil app is a great supplement for someone who is in court a lot.

Cons

Split billing where we bill two people on the same case is difficult.

Patrick H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Clio, the best all purpose attorney software, bar none...

Reviewed on 2020/04/21

Outstanding experience with something for everyone just depending on one's level of interest and need.

Pros

Functionality is nearly universal while specially and jusisdiction costomization is great.
Easy law firm branding and pre sale marketing is brilliant.
Support is outstanding and the Premium Support even better for speedy, live agent help.
Cost is reasonable and many available plans on their menu of options.
Clio grows nicely with solid feature burstsoften free to it's users.
Excellent and often updated/enlarged mobile App across all usual platforms: Appke, Android, Windows...
Superior online instant pay clientbinvoucing, and client trust account requests
The wide assortment of excellent and Rock solid 3rd party software affiliations is very impresdive.

Cons

I was fortunate to have free help migrating my existing, Timeslips database compiled over many years but it ain't quite so free today...Also, I'm still not a fan of the communications tools for clients and othes not subscribed to Clio.

Jared L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Review of Clio use and functionality

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

I have been able to delegate more to my support staff by using the different scheduling and tasking features without giving up on my oversight, since I can verify overdue tasks and completed tasks. Also, my staff has been able to manage my calendar through the case and firm calendar features which allows me to draft more and be able to schedule more hearings.

I am in and out of the office most days and the cloud-based aspect of this software and mobile app allows me to keep track of my schedule, access my matters, and contact clients as needed.

Overall my experience has been excellent; I moved from using 4-5 programs and apps to manage my practice, to using 2 because of the integration in the Clio suite. I have recommended this software to several friends and have help to train some of them on the basics while they were feeling it out.

Pros

I like the fact that there are different levels of cost for the need of your business. I started with one user on the lower tier, then moved up to include more options and added a user. I like the fact that not only does it provide billing and payment integration, but, at the time I upgraded, it included the monthly cost to use Law Pay (which I have also found helpful).

Cons

I feel there are some personal preferences I would like to use in my reports viewing and accounting. But there was a recent revamp rolled out a few months ago that did address some of my needs. Admittedly, although I have used the product for almost 4 years now, I have not watched all the tutorial videos or called with all of my specific questions, even though with the boutique package there is a dedicated help line.

Peter S.

All I Need

Reviewed on 2019/10/20

Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be.
Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Tracy V.

Clio is a mixed bag

Reviewed on 2019/09/01

The worst is retainers. Without being able to customize my email message globally, I can't use the trust payment request. It just confuses clients. Did I say hours and hours and hours? I will say that their service is fabulous. However, they keep making new abilities that to me are inconsequential compared with retainers. Oh, and not having global text snippets? How hard can that be? I have to go to 8 different users if I add something. Really a waste of time. Fix the real stuff. Then add bells and whistles.

Pros

I love that billing is so much easier, that my team can enter time remotely.

Cons

Clio was not developed by any sort of accountant. The reports are lacking, you can't memorize reports, everything within the software isn't consistent (like using the term everyone one place and all users in another place). The reports are inconsistent with what you can filter by on each report. There are still things where my account names are redundant - like Johnson - Divorce: Divorce. The biggest gripe I have is about replenishing retainers. The retainer replenishments don't get printed on the bill - I know it is because clio payments won't let you make a combined trust/legal fee payment, but they could have one link for anything owed and another link if a replenishment is due. Really - we webt to the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out? I spend hours and hours dealing with contacting clients to replenish. Also, way you enter into clio is clunky. I have to pick up my mouse all the time. It needs to be more like quickbooks entry. You never have to pick up your mouse.

Justin D.

What I Like Most About Clio

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Clio had a long learning curve. That said, any software that has wide capability will have a long learning curve. However, the support team has been very helpful. It does not work for me to try to read articles to learn how to use the system, I appreciate being able to get someone on the phone or on chat who can simply show me how to do what I want to do.

Pros

As a solo practicing attorney for almost a quarter century, tracking time, preparing and sending out bills has been my least favorite activity, and the place where I have lost revenue and had upset clients. My experience is that clients don't appreciate it when bills are sent timely or when they receive billing after six to twelve months of work - they really prefer regular billing.

Clio has revolutionized the billing and collection part of my solo practice environment. Now that I have learned how to create clients and matters and to input time, it is a simple once a month task to create professional monthly client bills which I can print and snail mail, email, or send with the LawPay connection and the client can "click through" the email bill to pay with credit card.

Cons

I cannot figure out how to set up or use the form template function. When I have tried it does not really work and I have stopped trying to use this. I would very much like to create some form engagement letters.

My work is mainly transaction, not so much litigation. At first it was difficult to figure out how to prepare a nice looking flat-fee for a project type bill. However, with the updates I have been able to customize bills to have both hourly fee bills and flat-fee bills.

Amber G.

Simple, flexible and user-friendly

Reviewed on 2016/06/24

Right from the outset I have found the support at Clio to be fantastically helpful. It's a big decision working out which product is right for your particular business. Clio, as you expect from most companies in the beginning, were great at informing us what Clio could do and answering our initial questions. However, what I am really impressed about it the continued support from Clio. It does not matter who you speak to, they are friendly, knowledgeable and will do all they can to help you. And if they don't know, which is rare, they will find out and get back to you. And they do get back to you! Plus every phone call is followed up with an email. With regard to the product itself, it is pretty easy to use. Most things are quite logical and therefore you can work it out fairly simply. I am of the view that no product is perfect as every business will have different requirements. In the case of Clio, there are a few very minor things we would like to see available. Clio are continuously developing and improving the product and, I think, everything we have enquired about that is not already a function of Clio, is in the pipeline. However, it is still great for us as it is but we always strive for perfection!

Pros

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Clio. It is very user friendly and the way it looks is very neat. It does not take long to work out exactly what you are looking at and what it all means. For me personally, I do a lot of billing and compared with a previous software package, Clio has saved me a lot of time and it's really easy to keep track of where you are as it automatically incorporates a workflow. Also, setting up new cases is easy and flexible. You are easily able to incorporate your own requirements and information.

Cons

This is quite specific but for us, the biggest drawback is not being able to present the invoice in exactly the way we want (i.e. a front cover summary of figures without the time description wording). There is a lot of flexibility on the invoices which is great but the one thing we can't do is take the wording away from the first page. Our company like to keep the first page of the invoice very simple and clear and then have the narrative on the following pages. We understand, however, that this is being developed by Clio and should be rolled out some time in the next couple of months or so.

Owen H.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%.

I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box.

There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship.

The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio.

All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API.

Highly recommended.

Pros

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported

Douglas B.

Don't do it without Clio

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

Pros

Clio is the best practice management system out there. It will allow you and your team to be productive and efficient from wherever you practice - at home, in the office, or out of a hotel room while you're taking depositions in another state. It has all the features you need for a successful and robust practice.

Cons

Document management continues to get better but still lags behind other document management platforms like Box or Dropbox. That's okay though because Clio integrates with other technologies and platforms so that you can continue to use the ones you like and still work seamlessly within Clio.

Benjamin P.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Most advanced , user friendly software

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

Billing , organizing the calendar , and tracking aspects of different matters has become a breeze with Clio. Everything you need at your fingertips.

Pros

Ease of use, and integration with other products and plugins makes this the most powerful and easy to use products out there.

Cons

The one function of removing related calendar events when closing out a matter is one of the most requested and most wanted features, yet seems to be nowhere in sight

Rosemarie B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Excellent software for my small firm!

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I really love it. It has truly organized my finances at my firm. The BEST feature is your live help. They are so knowledgeable and so nice!

Pros

It is easy to use and not a lot of fuss to set up. AND the best live help!

Cons

I have a lot of flat rate-billed clients, unlike most lawyers. So I need more customization than others.

Michele R.

Clio is a great product

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

The attorneys and staff love using Clio. The law firm that I recommended Clio to has implemented it and is loving it as well. I have recommended to another firm who is currently looking into implementing Clio into their practice as well.

Pros

this software has helped our firm to revamp how we keep track of statutes, trust monies and has improved our billing practices. This software is easy to use and if I ever have any questions, the customer support is terrific.

Cons

I wish that they had someone come on site to train users, as I believe there are features that our firm does not know about or that we are not using Clio to it's fullest potential.

Simon B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio is a fantastic practice management software!

Reviewed on 2017/05/16

Pros

The user interface is intuitive and easy to use. You feel like everything is at your fingertips. This is particularly true if you use the customs matter and client fields to record data you want to have easy access to.

As well, Clio's customer support is great and the software is always improving.

Cons

Accounting and bookkeeping needs cannot be fully satisfied by Clio alone. I use Xero in conjunction with Clio and this combination works well, though the export of data from Clio to Xero is not seamless, particularly with respect to trust accounting. That being said, this solution is workable and can be fully compliant with Law Society of Upper Canada bookkeeping requirements. I have been through a spot audit and a full practice review and passed with flying colours.

The other main issue I have is that there is nothing in place to warn the user that there is no future court date diarized for a matter that is making its way through the courts. Without this check and balance, there is a risk of missing a court date if you forgot to put a new one in after the last one. The only way to make sure this isn't happening is to manually go through each open matter and confirm that it has a future court date input.

Susan C.

EFFICIENCIES that FACILITATE LIFE

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

Here's a huge benefit/hack that I've appreciated using CLIO for: I make Matters (case files) for things that aren't actually cases: one for "personal", several for boards and committees I'm on, and even my business (GIRL ATTORNEY, LLC), and related projects (GALCON). I use the software in all the same ways: creating and relating contacts, keeping track of communication, creating task lists, etc... I really hub my whole life out of the CLOUD-BASED software, and this EFFICIENCY substantively facilitates my LIFE: law firm, personal life, business. I'm a huge fan.

Pros

The ability to manage case and contact communication is SO NIMBLE, it makes it so easy to keep up and pick up where you left off with professionals from other matters/cases. That kind of seamless connectivity is important, allowing me to leverage professional relationships already forged/earned...but otherwise forgotten under the volume of the work (and the passage of time!).

Cons

I still haven't found an easy-enough (for me) way to be sure that I am using the software in as many ways as I could. I am mindful that I am under-utilizing it.

Todd R.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Great product. Seems to be improving all the time, too, as they keep announcing new features or improvements to products. Couldn't be happier with my subscription to Clio.

Pros

The product provides the matter management, document management and billing services that I need all in one package. It has fine reporting capabilities, though there is no option to customize reports, if needed. Love that the software integrates so cleanly with Microsoft Outlook and Word. Would highly recommend.

Cons

Wish there were a way to create custom reports. Also need to improve the method for handling credit card payments inadvertently linked to wrong account. Current process is cumbersome and involves refunding customer payment and asking customer oto re-submit.

Brian W.

Clio is a "Can't Live Without It" service for law firms

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

Clio has been a game-changer for our law firm. Before my team attended the Clio Cloud Conference, we were probably only using about 10% of the features that Clio offers. Now we're probably using 60% of the features they offer (in time we'll make systems and policies to use more of its features), and it has greatly increased productivity. For example, we use to prepare legal documents the "old way" of using a document from an old, different client case as a "template," and manually changing the document to use in our new/current case. However, Clio's "merge field" and "document template" features allow us to create true templates that have much data (client names, addresses, plaintiff/defendant designations, dates, etc.) automatically filled in, which saved us from needing to hire another full-time team member.

Pros

Clio is great because it is very user-friendly, has many great third-party plugins/integrations, and has a satisfactory smart-phone app.

Cons

Clio lacks some features that would accommodate/improve certain functions of my law firm. However, this is probably to be somewhat expected since every law firm is different, and it's hard for a system to accommodate every possible law firm business model.

Cassandra M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Product is good but allows for user created frustration

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

overall good, but I feel there's got to be a better system out there that provides superior organization. Like guided organization of some kind.

Pros

It's accessible at home or the office, it's generally easy to navigate, and it creates a central location for all of my documents.

Cons

It allows for user error, and user created disorganization. For instance, searching for a document in clio is only as good as the person who imputed the document. There's no uniform system; that's left to the business to create. For example, my company has 3 office locations that all use Clio, and I love that we can access each other's files, however, each secretary labels and imputes documents differently. So, when I'm searching for a document it's almost impossible to find, unless I know what they labeled the document as. Searching for documents in Clio is a HUGE part of my day, and wastes a lot of time. Now, the business could create a uniform system and have the secretary's across all three offices label certain items certain ways, but that's just not happening. It would be really amazing if the software could create some kind of organization, or uniform system so that I can find documents easier. I have no idea what that would look like.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Cassandra! We've submitted your review to the Product Team, who may want to reach out for further context on how they can help enable organization within the software.

André A.

It's Not the Cheapest, But It's the Best

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

Pros

Tracking time in the office or on the go is made easy.

Monthly billing can be done while lying in bed.

Trust accounting is simplified and easy to reconcile with bank statements.

Document automation ensures consistency every time.

Cons

Every once in a while, there will be a feature that I will run into that could be improved. Although Clio is open to feature improvement requests, which I make all the time,it can take a long time for the feature to be implemented, if ever.

Desislava Y.

The Best Practice Management

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Great experience, great customer service, easy navigation and the best thing is that Clio keeps working to improve the platform and make it more helpful for us.

Pros

Easy to use features. Email log in, billing and everything you can think of. I can't really distinguish between the great features as they are all very important.

Cons

court forms templates, reminders for payment automatically generated from unpaid bills.

Craig M.

Great Firm Software

Reviewed on 2018/08/07

Excellent! My assistant works 300 miles from me in a different location out of her house. We are able to function well as a result of the ease of use of this software.

Pros

I have a small firm, with a lot of documents. Being able to upload everything and have it at my fingertips, whether on my computer, or phone, is invaluable. Also, I can work from anywhere. I am not tied to a specific computer where the software must be installed; everything is from the browser. Also, the functionality of being able to make the software categories, front page, etc., match whatever firm/law you want is great! Also the people at Clio listen and make software changes based on customer reviews.

Cons

Few complaints about the software. Would like the Edit button for the matter to be either left or right (have a choice.) When I split a screen on a laptop, I have to scroll over to edit.

Also, when uploading files, having the boxes shift up sooner would be helpful, so you can see the auto-populate.