Rocket Matter

Legal Practice Management & Time and Billing Software

Oswaldo H.

GREAT software to keep track of your cases and bill hours. A bit expensive.

Reviewed on 2017/11/01

BILLABLE HOURS! Keep track of them. TEMPLATES! Based on the kind of law you practice. CONTACTS! Let's say you have an adjuster saved as a contact, he calls to settle a case, then you're able to see all cases with him and discuss all.

Pros

When set up properly you can just open new case and auto assign tasks to your staff by templates. We are an Injury Law and this software has made our practice a heck of a lot easier.

Cons

PRICE. Every user is billed separately. Would be nice to have have packages based on the size of the law firm.

Rogelio V.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Rocket Matter is everything you need. And it is Great!

Reviewed on 2016/07/14

Rocket Matters (RM) is everything you need for your law office and most other practices. My company has been using it since around January 2013 and we are very happy with it. Before I have used ProLaw, Clio, and Abacuslaw but RM blows the others out of the water.

Pros

You can upload documents to every matter/case you have.
You can put in transactions. This is specially useful so that any user can see what has been happening in the case. It is also very easy to read unlike ProLaw/Abacuslaw. The system feels clean and clutter free.

The system is very easy to use. Adding documents/notes/transactions/billing is very useful.

We love that we are able to add tags to matters. Very often you have case numbers, family members that are a part of the case but the name of the case is in someone else's name. Without these it is very difficult to match some correspondences to their cases.

There is a build in time you can use to assist you with billing for what you are doing.
RM is very easy to teach to new staff. Most things are self explanatory.

Cons

Very few.

Sometimes when they redesign the system it can take some getting used to. But this is true of every program out there. And even then they give you over 30 days were you can try the new design and still go back to the old one if you have trouble with it.

Sometimes the system can be slow. However this can be a combination of the computer and internet speed.

Sometimes you can't duplicate case names. Which makes sense in a way since you don't want to confuse it with another case and make an error, but too often client's have the same name.

Steve S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Awesome in the cloud practice management service!!!

Reviewed on 2016/07/28

Our law firm has been using Rocket Matter since 2012. Moving to the cloud was a bit of a learning curve for some of our staff, but they quickly caught on. Since then we have continued to grow in our overall usage of Rocket Matter features and functionality. As a result our firm productivity has increased greatly - particularly in the areas of capturing time and expenses. This in turn has improved our billing and relatedly impacted our profitability. Being able to quickly capture information and bill our clients translates into faster payment receipt because if the invoices don't go out timely, the less likely you are to receive payment anytime soon!
Overall I can't see the firm ever moving away from in-the-cloud practice management software as it allows our staff to access and enter key information from anywhere - office, home, while traveling.

Pros

Ease of use. Available across numerous platforms. Accessible anywhere there is internet connectivity. UI appearance (aesthetics). "Spotlight" search and Advanced Search functionality. Customizable invoices (MS Word document format). Responsiveness of app/software. Friendly customer service reps who assist us with questions or issues that may arise.

Cons

Initially the reporting capabilities were rather limited in Rocket Matter, but have only improved steadily. Recent additions such as the advanced analytical reports are proving to be very useful tools for the firm owners to monitor the practice's "metrics".

Barbara R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Rocket Matter Support Team can't be Beat!

Reviewed on 2016/09/26

Although I feel that there are some features that could be adjusted or tweaked to make better, I gave a resounding 5 star rating to the service team there and would have given more if available. When I hit a road block, 9 times out of 10, the team there gets it "fixed" while I'm on the phone, within minutes, (I do like being able to talk with a human quickly for most problems). If the issue is one that is a bit more complicated, they do not hesitate to get help from someone who has maybe been there longer or might have had the issue come up before. And, they are always willing to "put suggestions" in front of the developing team. They always work with you on your level and can put it in words that anyone can understand.

Pros

That I can get help anytime I need it. Again, hats off to a great support team!

Cons

the calendar . . . I wish it was easier to enter events without having to go back and forth between the calendar and the event screen . . . that you could enter multiple events on the same screen . . . I wish that there were more color categories . . . We use outlook calendar and cannot sync with Rocket Matter for this reason. We use different color categories for mediations, hearings, etc. And, combine those categories with the attorney/people attending each. Do not like that you have individual "blocks" if more than one person is attending the same event.

Jodi M.

Great program for Solo/Small Firm setting

Reviewed on 2016/09/14

I have been using Rocket Matter for the past 4 years and have been extremely satisfied with it. In my previous big firm life we used a billing system that wasted more time than it saved and we didn't even use a case management system. Starting my own firm I knew that I wanted something better that would streamline my practice. Rocket Matter filled those needs, plus some. The billing side of Rocket Matter makes my invoicing process more efficient and accurate. I handle a wide range of cases, so I use all of the billing options, to include flat fee, hourly, and contingency, and I like that Rocket Matter is set up to handle each of them. The trust accounting features allow me to stay on top of my trust account and know which files will need to be replenished. The integration with LawPay allows my clients to pay their invoices quicker. And my clients enjoy the client portal nearly as much as I do. On the few occasions I have encountered difficulties I have been able to reach out to support and receive quick and accurate assistance. The only reason I gave it four stars on features is because there are two things I think could be improved - it would be great 1) if clients could upload documents to the client portal and 2) if the billing in contingency cases was easier to close out. I can't imagine running my firm without Rocket Matter by my side.

Shannon B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great tool for managing trust accounting, client billing, calendars and case notes in once...

Reviewed on 2017/05/17

RocketMatter acts as an automated trust accounting system that updates as I bill clients, and provides various reports and summaries to help analyze the financial needs of the business easily.

Pros

The billing system offers many options to tweak the system to suit many different billing situations for clients, such as billing method (hourly, flat fee, evergreen retainer, etc). You can upload invoice formats that you can customize to suit your needs. For example, we need invoices to be generated in English, Spanish, or in both languages depending on the client. We created formats per these 3 needs and can set the default invoice format per client or per matter. It also serves as a secondary record of trust accounting for the IOLTA account.

Cons

The Matter Documents system needs work. It's useful to be able to record notes, but they can't be exported, there's no option for generating a printer-friendly version, and you can't open them in new windows. That results in printing case notes taking up 30 to 60 minutes of my time.

A Clio Alternative

Reviewed on 2015/10/07

I thoroughly researched and personally tested several case management systems, both cloud-based and not, before deciding on RocketMatter. During my decision-making process, the sales staff were helpful and never pushy. Once I made the decision, they had me up and running in no time flat. The learning curve is gentle. RocketMatter now saves me hours (if not actual days) each month, which I can devote to billable tasks rather than the billing process. I would highly recommend RocketMatter to any small law firm out there!

Pros

-Fantastic customer service! Always prompt, friendly, knowledgeable and professional!
-Very user-friendly format, easy to learn quickly.
-Batch billing. Enough said.

Cons

I would like to see more customizable reports, including reports based on custom fields.
I would like to see the included fields be more customizable. (For example, instead of a dedicated field for "Office Phone" how about making it a telephone number field that can be specified as to whether it is for the client's home, office, mobile, etc., in much the same way as Contacts are handled in the Apple iOS?) At the very least, that field should be "Primary Phone" rather than "Office Phone."
I would also like to see a messaging feature built into the Client Portal, so that messages can be sent back and forth to clients from within RocketMatter.
Finally, I would like to have built in functions for automatically adding interest on past due balances when invoicing, as well as the ability to add a monthly fee based on a percentage of current billing. (These are functions that Abacus has built in, but I wouldn't even consider using Abacus at any point in the future.)

Heather G.

Rocket Matter in the Legal Practice

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

Pros

The software is very easy to use and maneuver through. There seem to be frequent helpful updates made and everything one could need is within a click of a button.

Cons

This is not something that I dislike, just a possible future need, but it would be handy for a user to have the ability to enter time to be tentatively held in a comprehensive list format for each client that particular day and then later have each entry either accepted, denied or edited by a supervisor prior to billing.

Amy A.

Excellent Service that Keeps Getting Better!

Reviewed on 2016/08/03

We started using RocketMatter about six years ago and it was the best billing decision we ever made. Highly recommend.

Pros

The program is intuitive and user-friendly. The support team is extremely responsive and always professional.

Cons

In the past, we've wished for certain features, and RocketMatter has delivered! The one thing we're currently wishing for is another Outlook plug-in that will allow us to choose matters while setting our schedules in our Outlook calendars. When we asked them about this recently, they said they're already working on it!

Tammy D.

Great product, user friendly

Reviewed on 2016/09/26

Rocket Matter is a great tool for tracking and maintaining client files and scheduling dockets. The billing is pretty straight forward--easy.

Pros

The ease of use and simplification of opening files. If a change needs to be made to a matter after it has been set up, it is easily changed or corrected.

Cons

Clients with more than one matter receive separate bills for each matter which is confusing. It would be helpful to allow clients with more than one matter to receive one bill. I would like to see one bill that includes all matters with each matter's costs and time separated. The invoice cover would summarize the costs and time for each matter then give a Client total. Hope this makes sense.

Great For Office Organization

Reviewed on 2019/01/17

Pros

I liked that I could color code everyone in the office's calendar and see what everyone had going on specific days to avoid scheduling conflicts. I also loved how I could task others in the office to complete items, knowing it wouldn't be on a sticky note that could end up in the trash. It provides accountability to all users which helps make an office run more efficiently.

Cons

I did not find any cons with rocket matter.

Barbara M.

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

When I use Rocket Matter, I experience an easy way to keep track of what my clients owe, how to invoice them and more importantly retrieve an invoice when a client is in need of one.

Pros

The product is easy to navigate and obtain what you are looking for. If you cannot find it, customer service is a phone call, click away and are always happy to guide you to what you need.

Cons

There are no features that I do not like.

Tanya F.

Highly recommended

Reviewed on 2021/04/07

Customer service is always quick and knowledgeable.

Pros

The software is easy to navigate and the reports are very useful.

Cons

Frequently, we have multiple matters for one client, but the system won't allow for retainer funds to be applied to each matter; it only allows the retainer to be applied to the client. It would be nice to apply a retainer to each matter under one client.

Susan S.

SMS Review

Overall, very good.

Pros

The program is easy to use and creates a good bill.

Cons

There are no abbreviations for entries I make frequently. For example, I use the words "receive and review" for every time I receive something from the court, another lawyer, and so forth. It would be very nice to be able to type "rr" instead of typing the words out. I'd like a feature where the individual user can make up the acronyms.

Taylor D.

Decent Software

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

Pros

Time function is simple and straightforward, not difficult to navigate once you get the hang of it

Cons

Not the best user interface, takes up a lot of internet bandwidth, can't use multiple timers,

Zena S.

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

Pros

This software is easy to use and learn. I tell my staff to go watch their videos and that’s all the training I give them.

Cons

None. I feel they implement new ideas all the time

Abraham S.

Tampa, Florida

Reviewed on 2016/07/27

It's a good experience. I like how a lot of things are streamlined. There are some quirks but most of them get fixed pretty fast.

Cons

I wish I could close matters that are not fully collected on. You're not going to collect every bill.

Sharlesa J.
  • Industry: Legal Services

My day planner, four days a week...

Reviewed on 2016/07/28

Most of the time, the software works perfectly. It has it's quirks... but nothing is perfect all the time. :)

Pros

Ease of finding a name

Cons

The calendar... skipping to where I need to be.

Michelle G.

Generic software

Reviewed on 2021/04/12

Pros

Fairly easy to navigate between matters.

Cons

Task list is terrible. When you link into a matter from the dashboard and go back, it takes you back to the standard list of 30 tasks and not where you left off. In a busy office where tasks lists are used daily, it is a difficult to use the provided task list as you want to go back to where you were working from not at the beginning.

David H.

Rocket Matter Review

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

Overall, I have had a positive experience with Rocket Matter. I plan to take time to dig deeper into its features.

Pros

I use Rocket Matter mostly for billing and time tracking purposes and it works well, but is a bit cumbersome.

Cons

Other programs I used in the past allowed me to set up billing templates. Rocket Matter doesn't, or I haven't seen that option. I also would like to see customizable documents/Word templates.

Don R.

Great Billing and Tracking Software

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

Pros

Easy to track time and expenses. The app works seamlessly with the online version.

Cons

App doesn’t keep me signed in, so I have to type in my credentials every time I use it.

Victoria E.

Easy to Use, But Pricey for What you Get and Terrible Policy on Accessing Data After...

Reviewed on 2016/10/24

I used Rocket Matter for several months, but I decided to switch to another law firm management software because Rocket Matter does not have much functionality. For $65, all you really get is billing and invoicing software (they claim to also offer document management but it's just a Dropbox feature, and you have to manually create templates if you want them). Their other competitors, CLIO and Firm Central, also offer deadline assistant, and a more robust document management system for about $35 more a month. CLIO also offers Lawpay with their subscription, which saves you an extra $20 a month.

Upon cancelling Rocket Matter, I also discovered a terrible policy that the company strictly enforces. Once you cancel, you only have access to your existing data until the end of your billing cycle. After that, you have to renew your subscription to access your data, even if you are not using their software for billing and invoicing. And, there are no exceptions. I had a death in the family and needed only a few more days to complete migration of data, but they would not budge on the policy and even suggested paying for another month of Rocket Matter to complete migration, in case I wanted to switch back. No thank you. I think Rocket Matter has to get with the picture on this policy. For example, CLIO offers a free, 90-day period after cancellation to export data. It only makes sense, if you are not actually using the software to bill or invoice. Buyer beware, if you are testing out Rocket Matter.

Staci B.

Rocket Matter

Reviewed on 2016/07/15

The people behind Rocket Matter really care about your experience with the product. I have enjoyed using it, and will keep it as an important part of my practice.

Pros

The software is easy to use. They provide online training which is helpful. The customer service is outstanding. They really care about you and their product.

Cons

Keeping up with the changing needs and changing legal environment provide an unending challenge in evolving the software. It would also be helpful if it were easier to customize the product to our individual needs.

Leyla S.

RM Since 2013

Reviewed on 2021/04/07

Pros

Some software cannot be accessed distantly. One of the advantages of RM is that we can enter our time from anywhere anytime.

Cons

I have not seen anything so far that caused discomfort while using RM.

Denis M.

This software is extremely counter-intuitive. Your law firm is called the "customer".

Reviewed on 2015/09/07

I find it hard to believe that anybody really uses this software. I put out request for anyone that uses Rocket Matter on state bar website for paid tutoring. Got one "response" - "Why did you choose that?" Clients are organized alphabetically by FIRST NAMES. Who does that? When you open new file it asks for client's name first. After you enter name is asks is client is a business or individual and frequently splatters first name as company name etc. Many functions that should be one click take 2 or 3 clicks. The invoice forms are difficult to change. The customer service people are very pleasant - but who cares - they never solve anything - and tell you that you can submit your problem to their programmers for possible inclusion in the next fix. I find it hard to believe that any lawyers work there to provide input into how lawyers do things.

Response from Rocket Matter

Hi Denis, thank you for your feedback. We have forwarded your comments to our Partner Success team and they will be in touch.