Datadog

Cloud-Scale Monitoring Platform For Dev, Sec, and Ops teams.

Kyle
Kyle

DataDog is great!

Reviewed on 2022/12/16

Pros

We now have billions of logs hitting Data Dog every month. It's a great tool for monitoring and debugging what is going on in the platform. We have alserts setup based on the logging so we are instantly notified of any issues.

Cons

Some of the JSON parsing on nested logs come out a little wonky. We overcame this by adding specific logs from our applications that we can search on.

Paulo
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Among the top 3 server and application monitoring solutions

Reviewed on 2023/02/02

It provides good and detailed info both on server monitoring metrics as well as on the application monitoring options.The experience with Datadog is excellent and, if you choose it, you are not losing anything in regard to the alternatives (the only exception is if you have the expertise to deploy open source solutions yourself).

Pros

Generous free plan with detailed information both on server and application monitoring.

Cons

Nothing unusual. Being a paid platform, it naturally set limits on its free plan (fair) but, for this reason, you may prefer the responsibility to deploy an open source alternative (to remove those limits) instead of upgrade to a paid plan.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

When using Datadog, I chose it instead of New Relic because of its more generous free plan. But since then, the competition between them seems to have intensified, and currently the free plans of both platforms are very similar.
Kaschief
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great Experience with Supportive dashboard and management of Data.

Reviewed on 2023/04/06

Great with data monitoring

Great with data monitoring

Pros

Collect vital information and tracks data. The interactive dashboard helps me keep my information organized for effective use. this application monitors my data in the most efficient and easy way. The overall experience is wonderful for me and I would definitely recommend investing into this software.

Cons

I have no issues with the software so far. it's a nice application

Jeff
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Datadog is awesome!

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Been great. I wish we could onboard across all Yahoo, but the cost is too high for all engineering to benefit.

Pros

Datadog is intuitive, easy to configure, and easy to use.

Cons

The cost for Datadog is too expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Couldn't handle scale or cloud applications.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We needed something immediately to get off our homegrown solution. We are still doing pocs with other vendors (Splunk, dynatrace) due to cost.
William

Dog eat Dog world

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

DataDog has allowed me to bring Fortune 500 company insights and application monitoring to a early stage startup!

Pros

DataDog is able to ingest and make sense of a complicated cloud application without the developer having to understand the infrastructure or program specifically for it.

Cons

That if I could afford it I would turn on all the features 24/7 and use them all.

ryan

DataDog, good for modern apps

Reviewed on 2022/12/19

Pros

It is easy to provision and integrates into modern applications

Cons

For basic monitoring of our legacy solutions, the software is to expensive

LogicMonitor

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Looking for a way to monitor our modern software stack.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Initial pricing, and google integration.

Solving most of our logs need

Reviewed on 2022/09/08

Solving lot of debugging problems and close track of our infra system using the alerting mechanism.

Pros

good integrations with collectors. Open text search. Alerting systems. custom downtime for deployments.

Cons

Aggregation and APM metrics. More of alerting. New features to aggregate fields

AWS CloudTrail and Grafana

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Limited setup time, easy to use interface, less technical savy person can also use it
Gaspar
  • Industry: Media Production

Excellent product

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

Pros

Ease of use and integrations. Log management is outstanding, as well as Kubernetes integration

Cons

Lack of a simple Prometheus integration. Agent configuration docs (for specifics) is sometimes hard to find

Grafana

Pricing and capabilities

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Easy to integrate with, without too much configuration
Krista

Synthetic Testing Rocks!

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Pros

As a non-technical QA person, I needed a tool to help automate tests without a lot of the technical aspects. Datadog allows me to build and schedule tests by clicking through the online version of our tool, making it incredibly simple. It also records what's wrong and allows me to edit the paths at any time if we ever make changes.

Cons

I wish I was able to use this same functionality for our mobile app or even for processes like account creation. Since we push our sign up through a payment portal we're unable to use Datadog in the same was there.

Juan
Juan
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The best ally to unleash the potential of my cloud infrastructure

Reviewed on 2023/07/28

The integration capacity is simply impressive. I can easily connect all my services and technologies, giving me a bird's-eye view of my environment and allowing me to easily identify any issues or bottlenecks.

Pros

What I love the most about this platform is its incredible ability to provide complete visibility into my cloud infrastructure. I am able to centrally monitor and analyze all my systems, applications and services, allowing me to make quick and informed decisions on any incidents or poor performance.

Cons

There are times when I have experienced difficulties with initial setup and integration with certain services. Although they offer extensive documentation and support, it may still require some time and effort to fully familiarize myself with all the features and settings.

Aviram

Monitoring our micro services app with datadog

Reviewed on 2022/12/15

Use it every day, easy to implement

Use it every day, easy to implement

Pros

All in one shop. APM, DB monitoring , synthetic transaction and log analysis

Cons

APM does not work well on nodejs asyc services. Might be hard to track transactions.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

we used new relic in the past 10 years in a former company. We wanted to try someting new and a lower cost
Mark

Observability super powers

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Pros

Being able to funnel AWS CloudWatch logs into Datadog made speed of deployment of Datadog incredibly fast - days instead of weeks.The log searching and faceting are extremely powerful. It's responsive, everything loads fast, and I can find single log lines in seconds.

Cons

Being able to create facets on historical data would be great.When digging into log lines, being able to navigate back to previous lines that we read through would be great too. Sometimes we're clicking around so fast that a log line is long gone. I end up copying the URL and pasting it into a doc so I can refer back to it.

Splunk Enterprise and Papertrail

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

We needed to be able to quickly search and facet logs, and view live logs, and have something that didn't require much more structure than logging out some JSON.
Shervin

Powerfull Tool.

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Very powerful and useful monitoring tool but so complicated to deploy at the first.

Pros

Diligence, details and deep of monitoring all detail.

Cons

capturing every single details, validity of details and more importantly capability to monitor everything!!!

PRTG Network Monitor

PRTG Network Monitor
Richard

Well worth the investment

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Overall, it has been a very pleasant experience in comparison to New Relic, Logic Monitor and AppD.

Pros

It is simple to setup and maintain. Plus the UI is really easy to understand.

Cons

Polling period of the alerts are not short enough. The lowest is every 5 minutes but if a site is down, 5 minutes is too long to wait to see if it is down.

AppOptics

Price and ease of use

LogicMonitor, AppDynamics and New Relic
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Must have for your application monitoring and infrastructure management

Reviewed on 2022/05/04

Overall we are using datadog for application performance monitoring on daily basis an it has really helped us resolve application incidents.

Pros

Application performance monitoring, server and database monitoring, dashboards & reporting, proactive incident management

Cons

Sythentic queries are difficult to grasp. Need support for more geographies for application performance Monitoring

AppDynamics
Michael
  • Industry: Computer Games

Datadog is best in class

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

Love it, could not imagine better.

Love it, could not imagine better.

Pros

Easy to use and gives us the data we need to understand what is happening in our applications.

Cons

It has taken us a while to implement. Ebs support is not as intuitive as others.

Splunk Enterprise and Observe
Jahiezer

one of the best software for monitoring in the market

Reviewed on 2018/06/27

Pros

This software allows to monitoring all you need and also can find lots of solutions for a high gama of cases. by using this app i be able to see the problems that me and my team have, so we can solve it by utilizing all the data that datadog provides. Works in differents OS and that make things more easy

Cons

The proces to instal and put in march this softwre can be a nightmare if you have not experience, it is really complicated. Though the software have nice tools, the price is not the best in the market, is posible to find something good for lowes price if you know what are you loking for. And finally haved some problem with some data transfer working with this app but i really dont konw what was the razon why

Jay
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

One Stop Shop for everything

Reviewed on 2022/12/17

Pros

Correlation between APM, Infra, Log, Network and everything can make it possible to view in multiple dimensions. Also, RUM feature is so strong to cover the end-to-end observability in realtime.

Cons

One of the most expensive tool. And it could be challenged by the management.

Dynatrace

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Powerful E2E visibility in realtime.
Yeamin

Datadog is a great Observability+log analysis tool

Reviewed on 2023/10/15

It's a great tool for monitoring, alerting, log analysis and synthetics. Good support for small startup companies as well.

Pros

Ease of integrataion. Both alerts, metrics and log aggregation in one place. Website Synthetics was very useful too.

Cons

Data ingestion cost can be too high at times if not controlled in a granular manner.

Datadog review

Reviewed on 2023/01/18

Pros

I liked the fact that DataDog provides an easy-to-use platform for visualizing, monitoring, and alerting on all my infrastructure metrics. It's very comprehensive and the integrated dashboards allow me to quickly identify any issues. It's also great that it can integrate with other technologies, allowing me to have a complete view of my system.

Cons

I didn't like the complexity of setting up custom dashboards and metrics. It was difficult to find the right combination of settings and tools to get the desired result.

Ashok
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Datadog experience

Reviewed on 2022/12/16

It's a good tool, needs to improve the collaboration of the support team.

It's a good tool, needs to improve the collaboration of the support team.

Pros

Building Dashboards, Observability at the granular level

Cons

Terminology , need to distinguish different resources and not tag them as one

Dynatrace
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Great first step for data tracking and incedent monitoring.

Reviewed on 2021/10/14

Pros

I use this tool on a daily basis for handling errors both in our live environment and for testing. It allows me to see where an error may be coming from and follow it through to its source. I could not do my job effectively without datadog

Cons

The filtering of data is not as comprehensive as I would like. I sometimes need to search through the results to find what I need.
Displaying a record in the chronological order is not always perfect and I sometimes don't get the context I want.

DataDog Review

Reviewed on 2023/06/25

I think Datadog is the best observability and monitoring platform out there, I think the only con and thing you have to watch out for is its crazy expensive

Pros

The breath of features you can have under Datadog is truly impressive, everything from Application, Website, Synthetic monitoring is covered under Datadog, so you have all your observability needs on one platform

Cons

Pricing, it can get really expensive monitoring on Datadog.

Grafana, Splunk Enterprise and New Relic

Many integration options and plethora of dashboards and visualizations

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Dependable and reliable solution.

Dependable and reliable solution.

Pros

Configuring monitoring tools is not always trivial, half of the battle is making sure metrics are flowing. Datadog is very flexible when it comes to sending metrics to their cloud. You can use collectD, statsd, file beats, or the 84523982 other options. Our orchestration software already had an option to enable Datadog collection. Once the data is in place, you need to figure out what metrics are relevant. Datadog has a number of pre-built dashboards tweaked for popular software systems. If you are using something homegrown, they can provide recommendations and optimizations after enough data has been ingested. API and documentation are top notch and we were able to build integrations quite easily.

Cons

Datadog is purely cloud-based system so there's no on-prem option, only SaaS. Depending on your company, this may be a deal-breaker since all of your metrics data is hosted in the cloud. Since it's a SaaS based service, it won't be easy to move data to another service. Occasionally web UI will bog down but it's fairly performant for the most part.

Santhosh
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Datadog is a Easy implementing, Friendly interactive Siem

Reviewed on 2023/04/03

Overall, Datadog can be a useful tool for businesses that need to track and examine complex systems, but it may not be the best option for many businesses, especially those with limited budgets or less complex monitoring requirements.

Pros

-User friendly-Easily implementable-Detailing of Logs-best fit for all organizations

Cons

Understanding Datadog can be difficult, especially for those who are new to monitoring and analytics. Nonetheless, it has a plethora of capabilities and integrations that make it an effective tool for tracking and analysing complex systems. Datadog's pricing may be somewhat high in comparison to other tools of a similar nature, particularly for larger enterprises or those with high data ingestion rates. It offers a variety of pricing plans, including a free plan, to assist organisations of various sizes and needs in finding a plan that works for them.