Bitbucket Reviews

Bitbucket

Bitbucket is the Git solution for professional teams

4.6/5 (711 reviews)

Best repository management platform out there

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Overall, our teams love BitBucket and we use it daily. We host our code up there and this allows us to review, manage, and share our code directly to all teams. It's easy to do things like set permissions or integrate other tools like Jira which make the platform even more robust than it already is. Although a bit pricey as you scale with your engineers, it's generally a cost-effective platform given your business size that is unmatched in repository management software and allows us to build products with a sense of peace and security.

Pros

I think the biggest pro with using Bitbucket is that it integrates extremely well with JIRA. This allows you to track your tickets with the branches you're working on and to easily see its progress during each sprint. It's intuitive and straightforward to use. It's also quick and almost rarely did we have any technical issues. Whenever we did have some issue, it was just with some expiring licenses which was easy to resolve. Permissions are additionally easy to manage. Overall, it's just an amazing tool that is 100% essential for our software team as it manages our repositories and allows to share, review, and manage our code across all teams.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the scaling costs associated with it for the paid plans. Bitbucket charges per user. We have around 100 software engineers so it adds up a lot. Also, our engineers are quite experienced so working in Bitbucket hasn't been that much of a challenge. I've heard that engineers will lesser experience in repository management find Github to be easier to learn and implement but again, with greater experience comes a more expansive toolset.

Muhammad T.

The simplest source code control

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

A better integration with other Atlassian products as well as other products like Slack, the very useful pipeline feature that automates the building process, the simplest interface, private repositories even for free users.

Cons

To get the most and complete experience for this product is only if you have the Atlassian ecosystem,
not so stable as GitHub, but this problem is not common, unable to archive repositories, the search needs a little bit improvement.

Market leading product by Atlassian

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Overall Bitbucket is a great platform for professional developers for personal and commercial use.

Pros

I have been using Bitbucket (personally and commercially) for couple of years and I'm really satisfied with the services and features that they offer. Letting free users create unlimited repos and allowing up to five users is a good way to go, which attracts more users. Pull requests helps to get code reviewed by experts and get them approve before it available for others and helps to maintain quality code leading to quality software. More useful features like Pipeline lets user to deploy/release more often.

Cons

As a market leader, pricing plans can be adjusted to attract more

Ben K.

Much better than github

Reviewed on 2019/06/02

I love Bitbucket. It has always provided a more intuitive and easy to use experience. I highly recommend it.

Pros

The web-based app is fantastic. It has a great UX, its easy to use, and it just looks nice. My favorite feature is the side-by-side comparison for diff comparisons. Whenever you have code with particularly long lines, the traditional word wrap comparison becomes virtually unusable. But Bitbucket has a really nice side-by-side comparison that allows you to scroll horizontally. It is indispensable. It also integrates with Jira really nicely. Whenever you name a branch after a Jira issue, you get a really handly link in Bitbucket that will display the Jira issue card in modal.
Lastly, Bitbucket has better prices for private repos (especially for smaller teams).

Cons

Not a strong mobile presence (albeit, there are few cases where you really need to be able to interact with yoru code repos from a mobile device, but it does come up from time to time)

Luis daniel R.

Still good even if competition is fierce.

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

Used for 5 years and still my daily driver code repository at work. I love it and wish they competed more head to head with github on the free tier which I use for my personal projects.

Pros

I have to say that I've been using Bitbucket for over 5 years now. It's robust, it works and you can feel safe that your code will be secure in case anything happens. It has integration with JIRA which is a MUST and they've recently added board integrations with Trello.

You can also automate your builds with Azure or other Web Services platforms so once you merge your branches, its compiled and published into your service of choice. It has code search and really good pull request management. Wish it had an on-line conflict editor, but regardless Bitbucket is amazing. The free tier gives you 5 private repo's but the paid tier it's unlimited and cheap!

Cons

They should honestly compete head to head with Github and make their free tier also have unlimited repositories. For the price, just go with Github, if you're with a company, I believe Bitbucket is a better deal, more if your company utilizes JIRA.

I've used it over 5 years and the site has been re-designed like 3 times and some of the times It's feel buggy, incomplete or unresponsive/sluggish. When dealing with huge pull requests, the site can basically hang for minutes and recently the site's been having a lot of connectivity issues. They just seem complacent. They're not bad, but don't seem to be bothering much. Also for god sakes, add a Dark mode to your client Source Tree.

Haja C.

A Smooth and Savvy Git Repository -

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/04/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Atlassian Bitbucket is a smooth, intuitive, low-profile and very capable git repository. It functions exactly how you would want it to and can be considered a solid alternative, or addition to GitHub. The user interface and functionality have been markedly improved from previous versions, which were slightly less forgiving for newer developers. It was always a good product, and now it is even better, with continuous improvement and wonderful new beta features being added regularly. I love this platform and I'm anticipating the opportunity to test out the new features and see where they will go in the future.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket has a clean, user friendly interface. You can store full code, team projects, as well as code snippets, and search your code. There is support for large files. Bitbucket has easily accessible links with tutorials and tricks to get started, even at the very basic beginner level. It is fully collaborative for development teams with variable needs. The best advantage of this platform over GitHub is it allows for private code repositories in the free model. You can control access to your code with public or private repos, and even fine tune access control with additional rules and extensions on the premium mode. There are tons of excellent integrations, including AWS, Microsoft Azure, Python, Visual Studio, Circle CI. and more. New beta features seem to be added regularly. The free model is great and the upgrades are reasonably priced. This is a well-rounded, excellently performing, continuously expanding code hosting platform that is well-suited to support your individual or team projects.

Cons

Previously, there was a slight learning curve in the processes, but this has been smoothed out. There are no real cons that I can think of, except that the open-source social celebrity aspects of GitHub are not a prominent feature here. However, if you are not looking for these aspects, you will likely be very happy with all of the features which are included to support your building endeavors.

Valerio P.

The best way to manage git repositories for businesses

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

It allowed us to organize the work of our development team, dividing each task into a different branch.

Our development team was able to work with GIT in a more intuitive way. The breakthrough curve for new employees also drastically decreased allowing them to adapt to our workflow more efficiently.

Pros

One of the strengths of Bitbucket is its ease of use and its great integration with the Atlassian environment. In our company we integrated it with the JIRA incident handler and it worked very well.

With Bitbucket you can configure the permissions of each team member, this is of great help so that only authorized people can modify the most important branches of the project. It is also very easy to adapt the software to the company workflow.

By integrating it with JIRA, we can create a branch for each issue that must be handled by our development team. At the end of an incident you can create a "pull request" so that other team members can review the job.

It is an essential software for us and we recommend it extensively.

Cons

Although it sounds hard to believe, our team has not found a single negative point for Bitbucket. So far it has proved to work according to our expectations.

Perhaps we could say that for very large teams the costs rise very fast, so in some cases this can be considered as something negative.

Abhinav K.

Bitbucket - A code collaboration solution for IT professionals.

Reviewed on 2019/03/24

We are using the BitBucket from past many years, we have selected it over the robust integration with third part software like JIRA. Smart mirroring and IP white-listing are the most used features in case of cloud to improve the security. Bitbucket integration with build tool like Bamboo help us to achieve the continuous delivery of the project.

Pros

Bitbucket is a code collaboration solution for all IT professionals. The web based interface beautifully manage the GIT version control repository. The pull request & code review helps in review the code and providing the instant feedback. Code search feature is one of the best feature of Bitbucket, It helps in searching and jumping to the relevant code in it. Branch permissions help in managing the release. Diff view is the feature where a user can view the code side-by-side and view the difference with the latest or with the specific version. Merge check feature save our time as at the time of release we don't have to manually do the merges.

Cons

We are unable to add nest permission in repositories. Bitbucket is not just the version controller it is a code collaboration so it also needs some more improvement on management and tracking. Clustering the data center is really a complex part to be implemented if you want to host it on-premises.

Gurleen K.

Bitbucket - A web-based version control repository.

Reviewed on 2019/02/04

Bitbucket is a smarter way to write and deliver the code. Build Integration icon also shows the result for your complied code. Two step-verification is lengthy but surely make you safe from non authentic people for digging into your code. Merge check is a premium feature in cloud version but is really one of my favorite feature as it save my lot of time.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket is one of the most popular web based version control repository. Managing code and project are simple with the help of it. We also use Git repository for some projects. Pull requests for facilitate code review also help in improving the coding and help in knowledge sharing with in the team. Code search is also an excellent feature which save time and help us to reach the right code in short time. The Bitbucket pipelines cares for your code from coding to till release. Storing the large media file is also easy with help of Git LFS. Diff views improved in the latest version and we don't need any third party tools for review the side-by-side code changes. Third party tool integrations is also improving day by day.

Cons

Bitbucket self hosted is complex to deploy and need assistant from experts as bad practices in branching can end up with the a lot of troubles. Managing different collaboration is complex so I prefer working on same branch. The free version is good to practice the things but they should also remove some limitation from it.

Tim W.

Best Git host around

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

We have been using BitBucket for several years daily. We host our own code there and pull code directly to our production servers with every release. We set up developers into teams and assign permissions with ease. It is a great way to ensure developers (and especially contractors) are focusing on what they need, and not poking around or getting lost in several dozen other repositories that don't concern their job.

Pros

I love the interface for Bitbucket. It is developed to be more business focused and oriented than a platform to host opensource projects. What I mean is that when you log in, you see your repositories and that is it. You can definitely search for other open source projects, but it doesn't have the same functionality GitHub has for searching. You can set up your teams and responsibilities very easily and watch your code as often as you need. There are webhooks to do anything, so you can have it be as responsive as you would like and build an entire deployment system with ease.

Cons

GitHub has more of a beginner feeling. It really walks you through everything you need to do. BitBucket is a little more advanced and gives you the bare minimum to get started. This is fine for most people that are experienced, but for beginners it may cause a few headaches early on.

Sean P.

A solid code repository/versioning system with all the right features

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

I use Bitbucket on a daily basis to manage and interact with 50+ repositories within my teams for various projects.

Pros

I love how simple Bitbucket is to create a new repository, get code into it, and start working with a standardized git system. The code review tools make it easy to call out other users for comments, make inline recommendations, as well as keep a high level general discussion. Bitbucket can also integrate with Bamboo and Slack, which makes for a robust build and notification system for your CI/CD pipeline without needing to install Jenkins. You can also setup SSH keys and groups to ensure the appropriate team members get access to your code. On a final note, Bitbucket allows you to have private repositories under their free plan, which github does not. This can be valuable for startups getting off the ground.

Cons

Occasionally the Bitbucket service has some degraded performance and accessibility times without a clear explanation as to why. The Bitbucket team does a good job and communicating these issues to the public. The occurrence of these issues is sporadic, but not frequent enough to be a major hinderance to work.

Gonzalo B.

Best for private repositories and team management

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Pros

Bitbucket interface has evolved and became truly amazing through the years, now is easy to use, intuitive and beautiful. I love being able to search my code and the Downloads section where I can upload distribution ready executables for the team. Moreover, the snippets are nice to have as well.

The integration with desktop is really straightforward with Sourcetree, some of my collaborators don't really like to CLI and they prefer the graphic way to manage their commits, Sourcetree just made it easy and smooth, the file version comparison is also really helpful if you want to see what have you or your team mates changed.

I love that you can create Unlimited Private repositories, I use .git for every single of my projects and most of them I don't need or want to make public, BItbucket has been a life-saver on that. Last but not least their integration with Trello and Jira has helped a lot on bug tracking and the workflow in general.

Cons

I would like to be able to group my repositories on their web interface, I have over 100 repositories right now and the list is rather clumsy and difficult to manage. It could be awesome to have a few folder grouping the repositories by the client, project type or anything else to make it easier on the eyes.

Atlassian has its very own way to organize their UI, so it might take you a few days to find out what's going on if you are not familiar with the product family.

Michael H.

Another Valuable Atlassian Product

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Overall bitbucket has solved a need and kept our files secure and accessible(most of the time) as needed. I run several scripts against repositories for several constant pull/push processes that have automated away a fair amount of manual tasking. Integration into Atlassian's suite makes each new set of tooling easy to adopt and operate with little new learning required.

Pros

The GitHub alternative that comes pre-baked into the Atlassian platform provides yet another reference worthy tool in the Atlassian Suite. If you're already using HipChat(slack) and JIRA, this just makes sense for your source control. Easy to integrate with a single sign on, BitBucket includes all the necessary features of GitHub incorporated into your existing Atlassian Suite.

Cons

This is a mission critical tool that has far too much downtime. We've gotten into the habit of backing up repositories locally due to the repositories being unavailable on several occasions. Permission changes can get cumbersome and often overlap incorrectly. There could be better use of groups in Atlassian, but instead it's an isolated permission system which makes for a new task per Atlassian Suite offering.

7.0/10
Adam C.

Perfect Git Solution for Teams

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

We needed a cost-effective, self-hosted Git environment to house all our code projects, and since we already use JIRA, using Bitbucket was an easy choice.

Pros

I love how clean it looks and how well-organized you can make your projects and repositories. Nothing against GitHub, but Bitbucket is just a much more elegant tool for DevOps use. It's also easy to set up integrations with other Atlassian products and build tools like Jenkins. I also prefer Sourcetree, Bitbucket's companion Git GUI, over GitHub's desktop app. Every aspect of Bitbucket's Git environment has been thoughtfully simplified to give you an uncluttered view of your repositories and branches. GitHub might be more well-known, but Bitbucket is a friend to businesses.

Cons

I don't like that there's no visual branching commit graph on Bitbucket Server, which is what my company uses. There are plugins you can add to Server to show a graph, but it's not there out-of-the-box on the Server product. The Bitbucket Cloud product (free and paid tiers) has this. Why not the Server product? You can, however, see a graph in the companion Sourcetree app, which is where I prefer to see it anyway.

Ramakrishna G.

Simple and Good UI - Very good integration with other attlassain products like JIRA and Confluence.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

It is a very good version controlling system to maintain our code with proper reviews and comments, after reviewing the code we can reject and again we can approve without any difficulties.

Pros

1) It is having a very good version controlling system and with this we can commit the code and review and also check for the history. Inline discussions of code which allows for easy collaboration. This allows our senior developers to mentor newer developers and coach them in better ways to code.
2) It works perfectly as a remote repository, and it as a good UI and also I can have unlimited private repositories.
3. The ultimate thing is I can able to view Bitbucket information directly in JIRA has been a great help to me to do the things much faster.

Cons

Its hard to say anything negative about Bitbucket . There is a very little amount of a learning curve is required to the developers who doesn't have familiar with source control platforms.
It is a little kind of difficult to setup you encryption keys in the beginning because there are so many things that you see in the UI.

Marius K.

If you are small team this is the place to keep your projects.

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

They deliver what's expected from them and more.

Pros

The interface is easy and intuitive, so on-boarding people who have experience in similar platforms is easy, their provided way to organise repositories by organisations and projects is fantastic. Also possibility to have a website under organisation namespace can be lifesaver, to host documentation, or simple website.

Cons

It's not popular among open source projects, so need account with github.

Vignesh B.

Complete control on your Code with Better than GITHUB

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

BitBucket acted as one of the best version control software in both financial and technical perspectives. And helped my team to organize the repository as per the client needs.

Pros

BitBucket is the excellent version control with enterprise features that are missing in Github in multiple places specifically on the safety and reliability. Easier to customize the repository settings to edit the user roles and permission set, that allows me to take the full control of my repository. And works better with JIRA, so I can easily identify the number of code changes done for the specific issue to fix it and also the SourceTree client tool for Mac Client that supports easier code management without any hassles.

Cons

The Pull Request system needs to updated to handle the MergeConflicts directly in the web portal instead of going back to the source code in the native client to modify the changes. And also the desktop companion SourceTree need to fixed in lots of places like file status and fetching the multiple request for the different branches.

Caroline S.

Ideal tool for the management of private repositories without limit

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

Handling repositories is much simpler than there is no number limit for it, it is advantageous that private repositories can be managed or imported from other platforms, as well as it is much simpler to store and work in the development of projects since It provides the necessary tools for this and it is easy to adapt to its interface, so the work with it is fluid and saves a lot of time and money.

Pros

A software that I like because it has an interface that is very easy to understand, dynamic and visually attractive, it has a control panel that is easy to use because it contains a very well structured design, which makes working with it ideal for carrying out coding in a collaborative way as well as organize and manage several repositories, being able not only to work with private repositories of their property but also import repositories of other tools or platforms like GitHub, the repositories have no limit so it depends on the user how many you want to use to cover your needs and the best thing about this service is that its prices are accessible, so it can be used by any type of company regardless of its size.

Cons

It still has features that could be implemented to further improve its operation, such as the fact that for some reason it stops working for a few minutes and in that time you can not enter codes or anything so it would be ideal to solve this small error.

Devaun F.

Pull request process makes git so easy!

Reviewed on 2018/01/22

POWER over your sourcecode! See all, from any branch, any commit, any code review. Linkage to Jira.

Pros

PULL Request! As a software professional, I use git as the source code management. The thing about bitbucket is the seamless integration of "gitflow" or similar processes with Jira. Say I pull a bug from Jira. I create a branch, develop the fix, commit. Now, here is the best part: Pull request. I create a pul request and invite my peers to review. My peers can make comments, approve or mark as needing more work. We can merge into branches, see the source code for any prior branch. This software is so powerful, it is the best SCMS support software out there!

MERGING! So there is an amazing feature of bitbucket: Pull requests can be used for merges. Pick the source branch, say 18.01. Then, you need to merge to 18.02...just create a pul request. It will show you the differences, and be a excellent tool for the team to track merging.

Gerson C.

Controller of high level versions, an option among the most used.

Reviewed on 2018/06/30

Excellent tool for version control and error handling, allowing the integration between various tools and collaboration with teams, a great alternative that is worth trying.

Pros

When one is a software developer, it is essential that a version control tool be used to maintain the integrity of our code and avoid the loss of work and progress in the face of errors that arise, and here Bitbucket enters, an interesting alternative to the most used tools, its main attraction is that it allows you to choose git or mercurial to control the versions, offers excellent funconalidades for error control, you can integrate with Google Analytics, and its main strength is that it allows you an unlimited number of private repositories which gives you total freedom to upload as many projects as you want, you and your team can work at ease and enjoy this excellent tool.

Cons

Although I mentioned previously accounts with an unlimited number of private repositories, the disadvantage is that when the free versions of Bitbucket limit only 5 collaborators in each project and users who need a larger number of these will have to switch to a subscription plan .

7.0/10
Alwin A.

Best private GIT repo

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

Used both on-prem and online with free accounts to store source code. It's integration with Bamboo makes life super easy.

Pros

Bitbucket is super easy to use if you are familiar with GIT. Perfect for developers who want to create private repositories. The UI is also super clean and it's integration with SourceTree is beautiful.

Cons

Management of user permissions are a bit complicated to find in the UI. Other than that, the software is perfect.

Sanchita A.

Bitbuket - The enterprise level GIT repositories

Reviewed on 2018/10/19

BitBucket is helping use in managing the code and deploying the system in a quick way. Configuration management is possible with third party software like JIRA. Power of the tool can be understand when you start working on it and making the things easy for you.

Pros

Bitbucket is enterprise level GIT services provider with provide the web repository for manage the code. It user interface is very simple and easy to understand. Version Control also make it simple and merging the code also become an easy task. Managing permission in web based environment is also remove the confusion when you same console in different environment. Code review and other operation can be also take it form web-based interface. Integrity of Bitbucket with other DevOps is also great and encourage for management for pick this up as version controlling.

Cons

There a some learning curves in it as a new feature come in their is no demo for it and add with just a small note and a documentation which make that feature completely out of the league. Setup is also little confusing as you have to set up the security and permission in the beginning of the setup.

A Necessary Tool For Development

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

I really like bitbucket. It appears though, that there are different versions and implementations of bitbucket. The version I had at my last company was great and heavily used. At my new company the interface was completely different and we don't use it as much for comments (unless its a comment on a persons code). I definitely liked the interfaces and heavy use that we had at my last company as opposed to this new interface and use.

Pros

This is an awesome tool. The thing I like most about it is the ease of use. It has a convenient area for show you your work as well as Pull Requests you're assigned to. It makes navigating and seeing what you want super easy and user friendly.

Cons

There isn't really anything I dislike about the software. I guess if I had to say one thing it would be the lack of integration with Jira. I'll make notes on bitbucket and can't see them on jira and vice versa. It would be nice if you could see all the comments on both interfaces instead of having to jump between jira and bitbucket.

Matthew R.

BitBucket: An excellent tool for maintaining your code repositories

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

We use BitBucket to store our automation test code. With many people pushing code to these repositories around the globe, BitBucket makes it easy to determine who pushed what into where, making debugging who broke our code easy. We haven't had any problems using BitBucket for our business needs!

Pros

As with most Atlassian products, BitBucket is very easy to use. It's easy to navigate through the app to find exactly what you are looking for. You are not overloaded with information on the screen, but the information you are given is extremely useful. This makes for a great user experience! Similarly, it's very easy to give users the permissions you want them to have on the repos you own. Moving through and maintaining all of your repositories is a breeze with BitButcket!

Cons

If you aren't familiar with Atlassian products and how their UI is laid out, it might take you a day or two to get familiar with the app. Once you get it, though, it's easy to navigate!

Kennedy M.

Bitbucket - the best version control repository hosting service.

Reviewed on 2019/05/05

We use bitbucket to host our web applications codebase and collaborate on the code as our developers are in different continents. This has seen us reduce time to launch for our web apps as all developers are working on their individual branches which are later merged into the master branch.

Pros

I like that bitbucket automatically creates a README file for me when I create a repository, which is a time saver as I don't have to do it every time after creating a repository . I also like that Git Large File Storage (LFS) is supported which enables us to push large files into our repositories. With LFS, I can specify which file extensions will be managed ensuring not all files will be added to LFS. Further, the snippet feature allows me to share code segments with fellow developers. In addition, Bitbucket provides unlimited private repositories which distinguishes Bitbucket from other hosted version control services.

Cons

The customer support is lacking and this causes a lot of frustration for me. I expect support issues to be responded to within 24 hours. They need to improve on there customer support.