Bitbucket

4,6 (1 321)
Bitbucket is the Git solution for professional teams

(1 321)

Wiktor
Wiktor

Great Attlassian git server

Reviewed on 2022/05/13

Pros

It integrates seemlessly with other Attlasian products such as Jira and Confluence. It also has variety of built in CI/CD tools.

Cons

It has a different way of cloning repositories when comparing to other git servers (it generates git url per user)

Matt

A good alternative to Github

Reviewed on 2023/10/16

Pros

Bitbucket is excellent when integration with JIRA - it gives the team the ability to easily view status and get updates across systems. It also allows integration with the JIRA release and workflow tools

Cons

While Bitbucket is steadily being improved, it does lack a few features that it's main rival Github does. The Pull Release view is probably the main thing here - while it has many of the capabilities of Github, it just lacks some of the polish and ease of use features.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

More features, better integration with project management tools (JIRA)

Assembla
Adrian
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Started as a great product, but I got disappointed

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Brilliant from 7 years go until approx 3 years ago. Painful to use for the last 3 years and we are currently migrating everything to GitHub.

Pros

We started implementing version control using Mercurial about 7 years ago (in my own company). On the advice of a colleague at the time we used Mercurial as opposed to Git. Bitbucket worked perfectly with Mercurial when we needed it at the time and really helped our business. It was fast easy to use and understand and the online UI kept getting better and better.

Cons

In the last 3 years, pushing and pulling and doing any kind of actions became tediously slow. I copied some of the repos to GitHub and converted to Git to check it was not a problem with my repo, with my computer, or with the software I was using (SourceTree). In all cases the only difference was using a Mercurial versus Git repo on BitBucket. I got no response to my support query, and no response to a forum post as to the issue and when it would be fixed. I then made a decision for our entire company to move all of it's repos to GitHub and stop using BitBucket - we are doing this right now. Approx 1 year after the decision was made, BitBucket emailed all it's customers to say they would be discontinuing support for Mercurial as not enough of their customer base used it. However there was no suggestion of helping migrate all repos to Git, no support docs on how to do this and honestly this was too little too late for us. We had become so annoyed with BitBucket that we would have migrated regardless.

At the time, BitBucket offered a free option to companies < 5 users
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Best repository management platform out there

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Overall, our teams love BitBucket and we use it daily. We host our code up there and this allows us to review, manage, and share our code directly to all teams. It's easy to do things like set permissions or integrate other tools like Jira which make the platform even more robust than it already is. Although a bit pricey as you scale with your engineers, it's generally a cost-effective platform given your business size that is unmatched in repository management software and allows us to build products with a sense of peace and security.

Pros

I think the biggest pro with using Bitbucket is that it integrates extremely well with JIRA. This allows you to track your tickets with the branches you're working on and to easily see its progress during each sprint. It's intuitive and straightforward to use. It's also quick and almost rarely did we have any technical issues. Whenever we did have some issue, it was just with some expiring licenses which was easy to resolve. Permissions are additionally easy to manage. Overall, it's just an amazing tool that is 100% essential for our software team as it manages our repositories and allows to share, review, and manage our code across all teams.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the scaling costs associated with it for the paid plans. Bitbucket charges per user. We have around 100 software engineers so it adds up a lot. Also, our engineers are quite experienced so working in Bitbucket hasn't been that much of a challenge. I've heard that engineers will lesser experience in repository management find Github to be easier to learn and implement but again, with greater experience comes a more expansive toolset.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

Bitbucket seemed more robust in functionality and had more of a business feel to it. It integrated extremely well with Jira which was something we were already planning on using for our task tracking. I heard great things from other companies and some of us had already used it at our previous jobs and could vouch for it positively.
Sophie
Sophie
  • Industry: Computer Games

Great for Git; Sunsetting Mercurial...

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

We were able to implement a necessary version control on our files which needed them most.

Pros

We use this service to maintain a mercurial repository of our in-development game files. Since we work remotely, this keeps everyone up-to-date with progress of the development and provides us with version control we desperately need.

Cons

Atlassian has recently announced they are dropping Mercurial repository support next year. This will force us to change our workflow and/or find another service to accommodate our current needs. Other than this issue, this service has been great, especially if you want it for a Git repository instead.

Naveen
Naveen
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Easy to use version control system

Reviewed on 2021/05/09

we having been using since 1 1/2 years and i feel this is improved version of GitHub with both command line and GUI.

Pros

This is the easy to use version control system with both GUI as well as command line facilities to maintain the versions of the code.

Cons

Rollbacking of the code to previous versions via GUI Interface needs to be improved.

Matthew
Matthew
  • Used for 2+ years

If you are already a part of Atlassian Ecosystem

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

I have been transitioning slowly to bitbucket since microsoft's acquisition of GitHub. I wish that bitbucket had a more of a social feel like GitHub - but I can do without it.

Pros

A number of integration points with Jira, Trello and especially Slack. Integrations is a must have for me in Code versioning systems and this does it quite adequately.

Cons

Github has more free options including unlimited private repositories unlike bitbucket's 5 private limit. However that's where the cons end. Not many to speak of

Biren
Biren

Version control had never looked this cool!

Reviewed on 2022/06/05

It has been a great experience using Bitbucket in my daily life for both the company's project and my pet projects. It is simple and amazing both at the same time.

Pros

It is very simple and packed with many features for version control. I like its autogenerated codes for cloning and branching. Its GUI is also very attractive and makes the work in Bitbucket even more interesting.

Cons

There was nothing like that about this software. It was quite good.

Ashish
Ashish

Gets you Free Private Repositories

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

Bitbucket is similar to github but you get free private repositories and you won't have to spend money if you are just starting out with making projects and their deployment

Cons

It is very difficult to configure on a windows system without using the command line.

It provided us with free Private Repositories
Renato Monteiro
Renato Monteiro

Great software for version control

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Bitbucket is a great platform for version control, it supports git and mercurial version control systems. It has an online version where your code is sent to atlassian servers and also a self-hosted version where your code stay in your server.

Pros

It has a self-hosted version free for use up to 5 users. Bitbucket offer the major functionalities as others, like repositories, pull requests, git support, issues, access control, teams, etc. It also comes with great integration with other atlassian products. In cloud version all repositories are private unless you turn it public.

Cons

About self-hosted version: it's made in java and requires a huge hardware to run. Install not so trivial in linux servers. About cloud version: only 1GB of space.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

It has a self-hosted version that is free for up to five users.
Chirag
  • Industry: Insurance

Easy version control with BitBucket if you use Jira

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

Overall, BitBucket has served us really well as we use it daily for Git version control, Pull Requests and Code Review. It's integration with Jira makes our workflow very easy and transparent, which reduces expenses in doing discoveries.

Pros

BitBucket's integration with Jira is spectacular. I can go to BitBucket commit and see what problem it was solving since it has a Jira link. BitBucket branches can be created right from Jira as well. Jira also shows all commits. This makes information gathering easy and code review pleasant.

Cons

BitBucket has more downtimes that I like. In 2020, there were 2 downtimes within a gap of a month. This is the only thing that bothered us about BitBucket.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Visual Source Safe is an old Microsoft version control system and it didn't really work well for our workflows. It had no easy integration with Jira. Jira was on cloud and VSS was on-prem, which created friction of data management. We also wanted a more modern Git-based version control, which VSS wouldn't be able to provide.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

BitBucket's integration with Jira, both being Atlassian products, was easy and user management was also easy. It was also cheaper for the feature-set we needed compared to GitHub and GitLab. Integration and Price were the only reasons we chose BitBucket. It has served us well.
Simone

Our Git and CI/CD environment of choice

Reviewed on 2022/08/05

Bitbucket is in charge of most of our Git repositories, and we barely had a problem in 10 years. Recommended.

Pros

The product is quite easy to use, tough user and project management on different projects can be a little confusing. Widely used and integrated with a lot of external services. I especially liked the seamless integration with Vercel to publish NexstJs projects without any problem - usually quite hard to configure. Free tier gives you a lot of space and options, nobody else does.

Cons

Account management could be improved. The border between free tier and payment version is not always easy to understand.

GitLab

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

Free tier gives you more options and space. Paying options still very competitive.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Simple SCM Tool

Reviewed on 2022/11/09

Overall Bitbucket is good, earlier I used to perform all my changes in code using Bitbucket only. The best part is Bitbucket allows to integrate with JIRA and confluence so that we can easily track the progress of work.if you are a beginner I would really suggest you to go through with Bitbucket without a single thought. Bitbucket is only a source code management tool but GitHub performs as source code management as well as CI tool so for experienced person/user, Bitbucket will not do everything. I used Bitbucket more than 2 years and I can say my overall experience is good with Bitbucket, its up to users what features they want accordingly they can choose.

Pros

Bitbucket is a good version control system, one can easily create branches, delete branches, commit code, merge code and many more. For a beginner it's a good tool to learn about git and to do practice. The advantage of Bitbucket is you can integrate it with project management tools such as JIRA, also you integrate Bitbucket with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins that is the most likeable feature of Bitbucket. Bitbucket is free for single user, so one can do practice easily during learning phase.

Cons

Prices are bit high for paid version, Bitbucket provide free version to only <=5 employees, for companies with more than five employees Bitbucket does not provide free service. Also Bitbucket features are outdated as compare to GitHub, GitHub provides lot of extra features as compare to Bitbucket. Sometimes while switching from one section to other Bitbucket was slow.

Tulga

We use Bitbucket for our small team

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

First of all we keep track of over 100 project source codes with bitbucket, it has no limit. WIth two teams of 5 developers, we are using bitbucket for free with all the features we need. It does it's job good enough.

Pros

First of all it is free for small team. For bigger teams it has really reasonable prize. I personally love and prefer Atlassian's products such as Bitbucket, Trello. The Atlassian team behind the product continuously improves their products. Since I started using Bitbucket 5 years ago, they added many features. It has no limitation and pretty good integration with trello, jira and other project management products.

Cons

Fortunately, during the last 5 years we didn't face any difficulties using Bitbucket. It works pretty well with my team. But keep-in mind that free version is only for 5 developers for a team.

Git

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

It didn't have that free subscription for private repository. We chose Bitbucket not only because of the free usage but the easy integration with other applications we use such as trello and slack.
Thomas

Easy to use, great product!

Reviewed on 2019/12/21

Overall, it is great. Also very suitable for business use due to its reasonable pricing schema and the performance of the product itself.

Pros

Overall very good product. All features of GIT are nicely implemented, haven't had much issues with it. Also, the pricing is based on users, not based on repository count like Github. So the prices are very fair, especially when you have a lot of repositories (for web design agencies like us).

Cons

One thing I'm not too happy about is its inability to reopen a declined Pull Request. I do not see any reason it cannot do that. An issue was raised and discussed (Bitbucket Issue #4954), and was not resolved.

Another thing I didn't like was that there was once Bitbucket was hacked, and one of our repositories (lucky it wasn't a very important one) was hacked and I had to speak with a Bitbucket rep to restore our data. Took a day or two on that.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

My consideration basically is price, speed, feature set, and community. So I recommend Bitbucket over other popular tools like Github.
Rishad

One of the best version control tool

Reviewed on 2022/10/14

We're using Bitbucket for more than 8 years. We selected bitbucket because it has free plans and supports private repo with the free plans. Once the company started growing, we purchased paid plan because it has additional features like rule & permission settings. It is very important with a larger team.
Another important thing we liked is the integration with Jira. Software tester can report issues to Jira, and the development team can create a new branch for fixing/creating issues/features.

Pros

Easy to integrate with existing projects. Because it is based on the git version control system. So no bitbucket-specific tool is required. This makes it easier to set up a development system.

Cons

Sometimes, we experienced issues when creating PR. This is usually due to their server issue. But they inform the status by mail (if we subscribed)

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

it has free plans and supports private repo with the free plans
Jander
  • Industry: Computer Games

Complete solution for code versioning

Reviewed on 2019/12/31

With Bitbucket I have the security of keeping my project versioned and with that I can develop without fear. Sharing with team members makes the process simple and efficient.

Pros

With Bitbucket I can have many private projects and all Git features. I can create project teams by assigning different permissions to each one. The ability to view code in the web interface itself allows for quick checks. You can also check the differences of each commit. Integration with SourceTree is a breeze.

Cons

If you use the tool with the default flow, you will have no problems. However, in some situations it is a little difficult to correct. I already had problems that the tool claimed problems in login while all the information was correct.

I need private projects.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

I need private projects and the possibility of testing without having to pay for it at the beginning.
Gabriel
  • Industry: Insurance

It could lead the segment if it was cheaper

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

It was. great at first, but unfortunately it could not kept me as user since the price was not worth the features it had

Pros

- Simple to setup
- JIRA integration: this could be really useful if you use JIRA as project management software. You can enable hooks between both projects, can easily access pull requests within cards, can post commentaries on issues using Bitbucket...
- It has default reviewers for repositories, which help code quality
- It had bit bucket pipelines as a pioneer on the industry and worked really well

Cons

- UI not so intuitive and sometimes not so simple
- Kind of laggy sometimes
- Lack of a better review process with more collaborative tools
- Lack of a bigger community

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

Pricing, at the time. Also it had the CI/CD (pipelines) :)

Very good version control system by Atlassian

Reviewed on 2022/10/19

- Using Bitbucket is a wonderful experience especially if you desire to fully transition your tools to Atlassian suite. It is worth giving it a try since the workflow is simple and the functionality is also robust- I have tried using Bitbucket in managing the team's source code so I can also endorse and recommend Bitbucket for you to do the same tasks and more- I would also suggest if you integrate it to Sourcetree to maximize the functionalities of both when combined

Pros

- As this is created by Atlassian, I love the fact that you can do so much more under the Atlassian suite- Since the test management tool and the bug tracking tool that I have been using is made by Atlassian, Bitbucket can be seamlessly integrated to it -- especially Jira- The UI is very uniform to the Atlassian's design- Bitbucket is very minimalist and the functionality is pretty straightforward as well- The workflow is not so hard to understand so you can transition very easily if you have previously used other git software- Bitbucket can be integrated to Sourcetree which is another Git GUI brought by Atlassian

Cons

- The design of the UI is kind of intimidating when used for the first time, especially if you are used to components-rich and colorful git tool

Usman
Usman
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Great tool, automation docs could be better

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

Once you get the hang of Bitbucket, it is easy to use and a very good visualizing tool for what you are doing with your repositories.

Pros

Bitbucket has a good UI and is very good for most of the repository related tasks. It has JIRA integration, so if you put your JIRA ticket numbers in the commit message, Bitbucket will link the pull requests into JIRA. This makes it very easy to access commits and the associated JIRA tickets from bitbucket itself, and vice versa.

It has good branch visualization tools. It lets you select branches from a drop down and compare them with other source barnches. The diff visualizer is pretty good too. It even has good graphical icons to show which branches have been merged/rebased where.

You can use command line git to manage repos as well. With their REST APIs it is possible to create repositories from the command line, which is very useful in cases where you have to do the tedious task of creating hundreds of repositories very similar to one another.

Cons

I was unable to find documentation on their APIs to set group and permissions access restrictions from the command line. This was required because we needed to create 100s of repos and allow our users to access them. Because we could not find API documentation easily and were in a time crunch, we had to have developers spend several days manually granting permissions using the web-console. Bitbucket should have these APIs clearly visible and documented.

Reasons for Switching to Bitbucket

Price per user and overall price.
Ava
Ava
  • Industry: Wireless
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

An ideal tool to host, create, test and deploy code quickly and securely.

Reviewed on 2022/04/25

As a software developer, having access to this tool gives me the advantage of hosting my code or that of my team in a solution that allows version control and the ability to work from secure repositories, but also makes it possible to create branches and make changes to the code without having to affect the original version, so if you need to go back we can do it without having to start from scratch, also through Bitbucket we can also keep track of the workflow, carry out teamwork in a organized and safe because we are the ones who decide who to give access to the code or not, all these benefits help us to guarantee the delivery of clean codes to our clients.

Pros

I love Bitbucket because it is a solution with a clean and friendly interface, that is, its interface is intuitive so that any user can use it without problems. Bitbucket facilitates the administration of the repositories, since it allows its centralization, it also makes it possible to fork it or create branches, creating branches gives us the advantage of being able to make changes to our project without the need to affect the original code, it even makes it possible to code merge, so different team members can work on different parts and then the team can come together once compatibility has been verified and of course if changes or bug fixes are required so that the final result be a clean code. This tool is not only ideal for version control but also gives us the advantage of having a space where it is possible to plan projects, create them, collaborate on them through a number of members that adjust to our needs through public or private repositories and even test and implement, so it contains all the necessary functions for the development of software or applications efficiently. It also makes it possible to assign projects and divide them into several teams, thus being able to manage different projects from one place.

Cons

One of the things that we like about this efficient software is that its number of members is somewhat limited, that is, it allows access to 5 members, but if the number of members necessary to carry out a project is greater, it will be necessary to pay for the rest, this can make access for students or small businesses a bit limited due to its costs, another drawback that I have noticed is that during a code review there is no quick visualization of the project and this can make this process take longer than expected, it would be ideal if this function could be optimized and speed up.

Haja
  • Used for 1+ year

A Smooth and Savvy Git Repository -

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Atlassian Bitbucket is a smooth, intuitive, low-profile and very capable git repository. It functions exactly how you would want it to and can be considered a solid alternative, or addition to GitHub. The user interface and functionality have been markedly improved from previous versions, which were slightly less forgiving for newer developers. It was always a good product, and now it is even better, with continuous improvement and wonderful new beta features being added regularly. I love this platform and I'm anticipating the opportunity to test out the new features and see where they will go in the future.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket has a clean, user friendly interface. You can store full code, team projects, as well as code snippets, and search your code. There is support for large files. Bitbucket has easily accessible links with tutorials and tricks to get started, even at the very basic beginner level. It is fully collaborative for development teams with variable needs. The best advantage of this platform over GitHub is it allows for private code repositories in the free model. You can control access to your code with public or private repos, and even fine tune access control with additional rules and extensions on the premium mode. There are tons of excellent integrations, including AWS, Microsoft Azure, Python, Visual Studio, Circle CI. and more. New beta features seem to be added regularly. The free model is great and the upgrades are reasonably priced. This is a well-rounded, excellently performing, continuously expanding code hosting platform that is well-suited to support your individual or team projects.

Cons

Previously, there was a slight learning curve in the processes, but this has been smoothed out. There are no real cons that I can think of, except that the open-source social celebrity aspects of GitHub are not a prominent feature here. However, if you are not looking for these aspects, you will likely be very happy with all of the features which are included to support your building endeavors.

Abhinav
Abhinav
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Bitbucket - A code collaboration solution for IT professionals.

Reviewed on 2019/03/24

We are using the BitBucket from past many years, we have selected it over the robust integration with third part software like JIRA. Smart mirroring and IP white-listing are the most used features in case of cloud to improve the security. Bitbucket integration with build tool like Bamboo help us to achieve the continuous delivery of the project.

Pros

Bitbucket is a code collaboration solution for all IT professionals. The web based interface beautifully manage the GIT version control repository. The pull request & code review helps in review the code and providing the instant feedback. Code search feature is one of the best feature of Bitbucket, It helps in searching and jumping to the relevant code in it. Branch permissions help in managing the release. Diff view is the feature where a user can view the code side-by-side and view the difference with the latest or with the specific version. Merge check feature save our time as at the time of release we don't have to manually do the merges.

Cons

We are unable to add nest permission in repositories. Bitbucket is not just the version controller it is a code collaboration so it also needs some more improvement on management and tracking. Clustering the data center is really a complex part to be implemented if you want to host it on-premises.

Tim

Best Git host around

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

We have been using BitBucket for several years daily. We host our own code there and pull code directly to our production servers with every release. We set up developers into teams and assign permissions with ease. It is a great way to ensure developers (and especially contractors) are focusing on what they need, and not poking around or getting lost in several dozen other repositories that don't concern their job.

Pros

I love the interface for Bitbucket. It is developed to be more business focused and oriented than a platform to host opensource projects. What I mean is that when you log in, you see your repositories and that is it. You can definitely search for other open source projects, but it doesn't have the same functionality GitHub has for searching. You can set up your teams and responsibilities very easily and watch your code as often as you need. There are webhooks to do anything, so you can have it be as responsive as you would like and build an entire deployment system with ease.

Cons

GitHub has more of a beginner feeling. It really walks you through everything you need to do. BitBucket is a little more advanced and gives you the bare minimum to get started. This is fine for most people that are experienced, but for beginners it may cause a few headaches early on.

Sean
Sean

A solid code repository/versioning system with all the right features

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

I use Bitbucket on a daily basis to manage and interact with 50+ repositories within my teams for various projects.

Pros

I love how simple Bitbucket is to create a new repository, get code into it, and start working with a standardized git system. The code review tools make it easy to call out other users for comments, make inline recommendations, as well as keep a high level general discussion. Bitbucket can also integrate with Bamboo and Slack, which makes for a robust build and notification system for your CI/CD pipeline without needing to install Jenkins. You can also setup SSH keys and groups to ensure the appropriate team members get access to your code. On a final note, Bitbucket allows you to have private repositories under their free plan, which github does not. This can be valuable for startups getting off the ground.

Cons

Occasionally the Bitbucket service has some degraded performance and accessibility times without a clear explanation as to why. The Bitbucket team does a good job and communicating these issues to the public. The occurrence of these issues is sporadic, but not frequent enough to be a major hinderance to work.