Customer.io Reviews

Customer.io

Email connected to your web or mobile

4.5/5 (18 reviews)
Michael K.

Great Customer Email Tool - Content Creation Needs Improvement

Reviewed on 2016/03/22

We have been using Customer.io for nearly three months, and it has revolutionized the way our SaaS business communicates with its customers. From multi-part onboarding of new customers to re-stimulation of lapsed users to announcements of new features, Customer.io has been a dream come true for our subscription business.

Building a sequence ("workflow") of emails, triggered by a particular event (like SIGN-UP or UPGRADE or CANCELLATION) is a snap. And applying it to individual customer segments is easy, though you'd better brush up on your logic (AND/OR/NOT etc.) before you construct a more exotic segment.

So, too, is the ease of constructing one-time mailings ("newsletters") to an entire group of customers meeting a certain set of criteria. Once the segments are defined, sending newsletters is quite straightforward.

In this regard, Customer.io runs circles around MailChimp, which we used to use for this purpose.

Integration with a software product like ours is quite straightforward, and Customer.io offers a nice API for updating customer profiles and posting events for those customers.

Customer.io currently falls short in the content creation department. Its text editor doesn't measure up to the rest of the application, and requires quite a bit of hand-manipulation of HTML to get newsletters and emails looking just the way you'd like them. Getting email text to wrap around a right-justified image, for example, requires knowledge of and hand-coding in HTML. And even then, the HTML produced by the text editor is not clean.

Missing, too, are functions like being able to duplicate a workflow in order to launch a slightly different communication flow to a different customer segment. Onboarding customers to two different product tiers, for example, requires that the entire workflow be created from scratch for each segment, rather than allowing the user to duplicate the workflow and make changes to suit the second segment.

Those shortcomings aside, Customer.io is a tool that shows a great deal of promise for any company that wants to communicate on a regular basis with its customers, especially when those communications need to be sequenced over a customer lifecycle.

For a recurring-revenue business, where ongoing communication is key to retention and referral, a tool like Customer.io is essential to success.

Pros

- Customer data base is very flexible, and easy to keep up to date via API
- Very powerful segmentation tool that can use customer profile fields, events, and even interaction with email to segment customers for subsequent communication
- Easy, intuitive construction and management of triggered, multi-part communications workflows
- Attractive visual reporting of emails sent, opened, clicked
- Reasonably priced, automatic scaling of pricing based on actual volume used (emails, customer profiles)
- Built-in A/B testing of email copy

Cons

- Text editor lacks power features; requires HTML in order to optimize emails
- Minimal pre-packaged layouts; layout design requires knowledge of CSS
- Lack of workflow cloning or replication creates unnecessary work

A very useful tool for non-developer, tech-savvy marketers

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

I've tried many marketing automation tools and this hits the spot in terms of what a tech-savvy non-developer can do. There's a fine line between an eye-candy platform that scores low on customization and a fully fledged tool that requires constant support from a developer. Customer.io walks that line gracefully, allowing me to control onboarding and loyalty processes and much more.

Pros

I like that I have yet to hit its limitations. Usually if a feature isn't readily available, the platform is open enough for me to find a workaround that gets the job done.

Kudos for customer support, a real win! :)

Cons

It could use more or better filtering and search options, as the segments, campaigns and attributes can turn into chaos if multiple people use it for different purposes.

The learning curve was a bit steep. Except for the quite useful knowledge base and great customer support, I would have enjoyed some video tutorials/onboarding experience.

Paola P.

A flexible and customizable tool that is easy to use and set up

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

This is an amazing tool that everyone looking to take their marketing efforts to the next level should get familiar with.

Pros

The flexibility that Customer.io offers, I yet have not been able to see in any other tool. It is very easy to set up and its lightweight user interface is robust yet simple to understand. On top of it, customer support rocks! I was answered right away for every little question that came up, so I didn't feel alone while working to set everything to my requirements. As for the features, I love the customer profiles: They are based on the email behavior of the users, and can also be adapted to match in-app behavior, if that's what you require. On top of it all, I love the price! Great value for the money.

Cons

I did need to triangulate some functions through Zapier because the tool did not offer them, such as gmail integration and Facebook triggers. Not sure if this is a con though, as Zapier does open up a whole new landscape of possibilities, but I guess those functions were not initially included in the tool so that's why I'm talking about them in this section. Other than that, no cons.

James R.

Customer.IO makes life so much easier with email tracking, Saved my butt multiple times!

Reviewed on 2018/06/25

Pros

Customer.IO has allowed me and my company to feel confident that the correct information is being sent to the people who need it the most, our customers. The ability to view all emails that have been sent and to ensure they were received by the customer is a huge benefit to us. being able to see if a email was suppressed or bounce give the ability to ensure you can deal with the issue in a timely manner and get the info into the right peoples hands. it has also assisted us in dealing with difficult customers that claim they never received a email, however the application allowed us to show the customer that no only did they receive it they opened it!

Cons

the only negative i could see is that the application only allows you to send 50 emails at a time and for a large customer base this makes it more time consuming.

Bryson E.

Providing Unique Customer Interactions for Business

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

A highly efficient setup for automating emails to our customers. This individualized attention has vastly improved our relationship with our customers. They feel front and center and we save hours of time!

Pros

This software has been easy to use for setting up customer emails that are specifically targeted to their individual needs. Conversion tracking and other metrics for analyzing customer behavior are helpful for our team and its insights into what our customers want throughout their lifecycle journey. This software streamlines the process that would take hours upon hours of tedious work. This is a highly efficient tool to solve complex problems.

Cons

I think that one of the cons would be pricing. If pricing wasn't as steep for larger customer lists, this platform would be preferable.

7.0/10

Flexible but lacking some functionality

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

Good user interface that's intuitive. Easy to get up and running without prior knowledge. Creating segments is quick and simple.

Cons

Reporting tools are not very robust. For example, within Customer.io you can't sort or aggregate email campaigns to see roll-up metrics. Rather you'll need to export and sort in a spreadsheet or connect with 3rd party tools like MixPanel or Periscope.

Max V.

The perfect platform to set up product-driven email communications with customers at scale

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

What I really like is that we use our own database as the single source of truth, and not the email platform database which is never up to date. With Customer.io we use real-time data from our own platform (B2B SaaS) which helps me as a marketer to always communicate with customer segments in the best possible way.

Customer.io provide lots of options to filter based on segments and rules which comes in very handy when you want to create cool workflows. Overall, extremely happy with the platform.

Pros

Easy-to-use and intuitive email and marketing automation platform. Especially the ability to send out webhooks makes it very strong.

Cons

The initial set up requires some help from a developer but if you have that sorted out, it's really easy to use.

Sebastian W.

Top Email and Push automation software

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

Overall great email and push notification automation software, that constantly develops.

Pros

Customer.io is great since it easily allows you to set up and automate promotional emails , but also allows to run transactional emails at the same time. This is a huge advantage over most email automation products, b/c you can trigger a promotional email without interfering with your system emails.

Cons

Unlike Pardot or Marketo, Customer.io doesn't have a solid automation builder. The builder is nice, but you can never see the tree of emails in a flow chart. It can easily confuse the user as you have to have a third-party software to organize the set up. It's highly recommended to put one full-time employee behind it.

Francisco B.

YOUR PARTNER TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DIRECT CUSTOMERS.

Reviewed on 2019/08/11

I have had an excellent customer experience, thanks to it I keep up to date the list of clients I work with, communicate with them through personalized messages and thus be able to meet our customers.

Pros

I have been using this tool for several years to communicate with my clients, I am encouraged to use it because thanks to it I can send the newsletters and emails automatically to each client group depending on the profile, it is special to maintain a continuous communication with users , make them feel that we care and that communication is essential.

Cons

It is a very good communication tool, however customer service is poor, attention is very slow and the response to the requirements as well.

Stephanie G.

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Pros

I love customer.io! It keeps our company organized and allows us to send emails easily.

Cons

Nothing! Everything has been very easy to use.

Matt A.

A solid email system with robust support for custom attributes

Reviewed on 2018/05/20

I am able to provide my marketing team with the ability to send complicated emails, segmented across our customer base, with customized attributes.

Pros

As a developer, working with the API is easy, predictable, and maintainable. The product supports complicated email workflows with customer-level attributes. This isn't your father's mail-merge. This is email for the 22nd century.

Cons

The lack of a WYSIWYG editor for my marketing counterparts (tho I hear rumors this is coming) and event-based filters in my workflows.

Muhammad syafiq H.

With enough money, Customer.IO is a good subscription to have.

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Pros

The two things that I use, their Newsletter builder and their Campaigns builder, they are splendid.
The builder is clean and easy to use. There are constantly checks on your dynamic variables to ensure that you are referencing the proper fields.

As a software engineer that is interfacing with Customer.IO's API to send out notification emails to our customers, I have a few things to say about its API.
It is easy to use and predictable.
I did not have to spend many hours trying to send out an email.
It was straightforward, fast and most importantly, reliable.

Cons

With regards to building a Campaign. Before dealing with the dynamic variables in your template, you first have to make it available to you. In other words, from your code, you need to send in the payload with the variables that you wish to reference.

Then, the template will come to life with your sample data and you can begin to finalise your design.
I just feel that maybe, if we can have a dummy data kinda workflow for the UI of Customer.IO, that would be cool.

Rahil M.

Automate your marketing campaigns with ease

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

An excellent tool for Automated Marketing campaigns and the product and support teams are extremely helpful

Pros

- Customer profile management
- Hybrid HTML and Text Editor tool
- Workflow set-up for Campaigns

Cons

Uploading Customer lists manually is slightly complicated

Chris V.

An awesome way to connect with customers

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

When we build new apps or startup prototypes for clients, Customer.io is one of the most reliable tools in our stack. It makes customer communication SO easy and intuitive, allowing you to easily group customers into segments, trigger communications based on specific events, etc. The API is easy to use too, and makes it really easy to integrate with your app at a deep level. I couldn't imagine life without it!

Cons

The only real complaint is pricing. If you are bootstrapping and don't have a ton of money to spend, it can be pretty prohibitive.

An Advanced CLM tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Pros

- The Features and customizations available

Cons

- The complications to bring about the automation.

Sara U.

Great help!

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

Customer.io has been a life saver. It has been a huge relief knowing our customers are getting the correct information.

Cons

There are not many customization options. It is also limited to users that has large customer bases.

Customer.io: Email Automation tool for scale

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

We use customer.io for automatic and personalized triggers and this tool is amazing.

Pros

Workflow is easy to configure and very powerful for automation.
You can configure the tool in such a way emails are automatically triggered whenever it notices a particular behavior.
A/B Testing feature is really cool.

Cons

Integrating with other APIs is complex.

Shilpa S.

Email automation tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/29

I don’t find this product very easy to use but it’s one of the best so far I’ve used in the email automation space.

Pros

I liked that I could run my drip campaigns on this tool. The complexity of the drips could be managed.

Cons

It requires a dedicated developer which might not always be possible. There should be a few automated codes.