Customer.io

Customer engagement platform for tech-savvy marketers

Giovanna
Giovanna

The best software for Customer Marketing E-mails

Reviewed on 2023/05/30

Customer.io is one of my favorite tools at work, so easy to use that I don't even have to teach new people on my team on how to use it, they just do. I check it every day and use it as the main tool in communicating with our clients about new feature releases, new products, important changes in our software, customer marketing etc. Also it's our main tool for onboarding new users through email campaigns that are very easy to setup, with a lot of functionalities that helps us filtering the customers and offering a personalized experience. I really recommend it

Pros

I really like how easy it is to setup an email campaign and automate it according to users different attributes. We have a lot of onboarding campaigns going on in all languages and it is the best software we have with this kind of funcionality. Also, broadcasts are very simple to create and easy to track. The UX/UI of the platform is perfect, definitely the best one we have among the e-mail senders we use.

Cons

The template creation is very limited, forcing us to use other softwares and exporting the HTML code to customer.io. Also, the contact database is kind of messy, not very easy to find people, organizing contacts or filtering them.

Michael
Michael

Great Customer Email Tool - Content Creation Needs Improvement

Reviewed on 2016/03/22

We have been using Customer.io for nearly three months, and it has revolutionized the way our SaaS business communicates with its customers. From multi-part onboarding of new customers to re-stimulation of lapsed users to announcements of new features, Customer.io has been a dream come true for our subscription business.

Building a sequence ("workflow") of emails, triggered by a particular event (like SIGN-UP or UPGRADE or CANCELLATION) is a snap. And applying it to individual customer segments is easy, though you'd better brush up on your logic (AND/OR/NOT etc.) before you construct a more exotic segment.

So, too, is the ease of constructing one-time mailings ("newsletters") to an entire group of customers meeting a certain set of criteria. Once the segments are defined, sending newsletters is quite straightforward.

In this regard, Customer.io runs circles around MailChimp, which we used to use for this purpose.

Integration with a software product like ours is quite straightforward, and Customer.io offers a nice API for updating customer profiles and posting events for those customers.

Customer.io currently falls short in the content creation department. Its text editor doesn't measure up to the rest of the application, and requires quite a bit of hand-manipulation of HTML to get newsletters and emails looking just the way you'd like them. Getting email text to wrap around a right-justified image, for example, requires knowledge of and hand-coding in HTML. And even then, the HTML produced by the text editor is not clean.

Missing, too, are functions like being able to duplicate a workflow in order to launch a slightly different communication flow to a different customer segment. Onboarding customers to two different product tiers, for example, requires that the entire workflow be created from scratch for each segment, rather than allowing the user to duplicate the workflow and make changes to suit the second segment.

Those shortcomings aside, Customer.io is a tool that shows a great deal of promise for any company that wants to communicate on a regular basis with its customers, especially when those communications need to be sequenced over a customer lifecycle.

For a recurring-revenue business, where ongoing communication is key to retention and referral, a tool like Customer.io is essential to success.

Pros

- Customer data base is very flexible, and easy to keep up to date via API
- Very powerful segmentation tool that can use customer profile fields, events, and even interaction with email to segment customers for subsequent communication
- Easy, intuitive construction and management of triggered, multi-part communications workflows
- Attractive visual reporting of emails sent, opened, clicked
- Reasonably priced, automatic scaling of pricing based on actual volume used (emails, customer profiles)
- Built-in A/B testing of email copy

Cons

- Text editor lacks power features; requires HTML in order to optimize emails
- Minimal pre-packaged layouts; layout design requires knowledge of CSS
- Lack of workflow cloning or replication creates unnecessary work

Monthly contracts can't be downgraded

Reviewed on 2023/03/31

Unfortunately, can't recommend

Unfortunately, can't recommend

Pros

Customer.io is a pretty good, capable tool. Easy to get data in and easy to create communications and journeys for your customers.

Cons

I pay monthly and they will not allow me to right-size my usage to a lower amount until a year has elapsed. Really odd.

Ali Ilhami

A game changer

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

Pros

We love to be able to act based on everything that our customers do on our platform and our website. Campaign workflows are easy to build and maintain and UI is very intuitive.

Cons

We basically manage all our customer data in C.io and not being able to having KPIs and analytics related with customer actions and events is a little bit frustrating.

This is my main email platform now

Reviewed on 2023/06/03

Pros

Customer.io is an excellent email marketing platform. I made the switch from a lesser-known (and cheaper) platform that I had been using for a few years. I can clearly see the difference now, and I'm happy to pay more for the ability to engage my customers more effectively and access a wider range of marketing features, all in one place.

Cons

Customer.io is not yet the ideal platform for my projects. One limitation, for instance, is its restricted template language.It also lacks the ability to filter and count incoming events and dynamically insert these values into emails.

Simon
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Versatile connective messaging platform

Reviewed on 2023/01/05

Pros

The ability to easily integrate and connect with other software to support a singular customer profile view across multiple systems.

Cons

The reporting dashboard could be more detailed and flexible, dynamic content, drag and drop email builder could be more flexible.

Artur
  • Industry: Entertainment

A solid product for companies that need something more!

Reviewed on 2023/06/28

Pros

- lots of needful integrations, e.g. BigQuery, Google Sheets- a simple to use, yet highly sophisticated tool for Email Marketing and Marketing Automation- Push notifications support- in-app messages support- webhooks - possibility of advanced segmentation of users by their attributes and behavior

Cons

- slightly limited drang&drop email editor

The best product for email marketing

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

Pros

It is very easy to use and the features are very intuitive.

Cons

Can't think of any. But i wish they could launch new product features faster

Lachlan
Lachlan

Great software for event triggered marketing campaigns

Reviewed on 2023/06/08

We've been able to convert more sign-ups from trial to paid users using customer.io

Pros

Getting set up and using customer.io was an easy experience. All our user attributes came straight via segment and we were able to target users based on their event behaviours within our product immediately.

Cons

The one thing I dislike is the load times between pages - compared with our other platform (Hubspot) its night and day with how quickly each page loads.

Rachelle

customer.io for saas

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

Pros

customer.io is easy to use and very versatile. It has met all of our email marketing needs for both our web and mobile app.

Cons

customer.io has a bit of a learning curve at first with some of the advanced/pro features like customizing email messages, deploying api triggered messages, etc.... but the interface is very easy to use and when I had questions I could always get a hold of support for help.

Paola

A flexible and customizable tool that is easy to use and set up

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

This is an amazing tool that everyone looking to take their marketing efforts to the next level should get familiar with.

Pros

The flexibility that Customer.io offers, I yet have not been able to see in any other tool. It is very easy to set up and its lightweight user interface is robust yet simple to understand. On top of it, customer support rocks! I was answered right away for every little question that came up, so I didn't feel alone while working to set everything to my requirements. As for the features, I love the customer profiles: They are based on the email behavior of the users, and can also be adapted to match in-app behavior, if that's what you require. On top of it all, I love the price! Great value for the money.

Cons

I did need to triangulate some functions through Zapier because the tool did not offer them, such as gmail integration and Facebook triggers. Not sure if this is a con though, as Zapier does open up a whole new landscape of possibilities, but I guess those functions were not initially included in the tool so that's why I'm talking about them in this section. Other than that, no cons.

Siti Saleha
Siti Saleha
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Email marketing with Customer.io

Reviewed on 2022/03/02

Pros

I really like the email template in here, especially for the newsletter. The template is easy to edit and reorganized and can be reused again. The tools are easy to use and as a non technical software user, it make me really happy when i can use a new software without any problem arise.

Cons

Thing that i like least about this software is, the customer support isn't very active and it takes time for them to reply my tickets and email. It drags the issue that I have from be fixed while it can be quickly fixed if they can attend the support quickly.

Flexible but lacking some functionality

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

Good user interface that's intuitive. Easy to get up and running without prior knowledge. Creating segments is quick and simple.

Cons

Reporting tools are not very robust. For example, within Customer.io you can't sort or aggregate email campaigns to see roll-up metrics. Rather you'll need to export and sort in a spreadsheet or connect with 3rd party tools like MixPanel or Periscope.

Olivia
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Easy-to-use tool for personalized communication

Reviewed on 2023/03/09

Pros

Using customer.io helped us create personalized messages to our clients based on what their job positions. The website is easy to use and the support team is really helpful.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to understand their pricing schemes and some of the features are only available if you pay more. Also, the reporting could be more detailed

Steve

Simple, powerful and intuitive marketing automation platform

Reviewed on 2023/06/12

Pros

The customer service is superb. There was a learning curve to customer.io which customer service helped me with.

Cons

There are no features of customer.io I dislike

Francisco
Francisco

YOUR PARTNER TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DIRECT CUSTOMERS.

Reviewed on 2019/08/11

I have had an excellent customer experience, thanks to it I keep up to date the list of clients I work with, communicate with them through personalized messages and thus be able to meet our customers.

Pros

I have been using this tool for several years to communicate with my clients, I am encouraged to use it because thanks to it I can send the newsletters and emails automatically to each client group depending on the profile, it is special to maintain a continuous communication with users , make them feel that we care and that communication is essential.

Cons

It is a very good communication tool, however customer service is poor, attention is very slow and the response to the requirements as well.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Pros

I love customer.io! It keeps our company organized and allows us to send emails easily.

Cons

Nothing! Everything has been very easy to use.

Paul

Customer.io is great! Customer service from our vendor is awesome too!

Reviewed on 2023/01/13

Very happy

Very happy

Pros

It just does all of the things I need it to do and most are intuitive.

Cons

Sometimes there's weird quirks that you have to learn and figure out, but its not frequently.

Muhammad Syafiq
  • Industry: Human Resources

With enough money, Customer.IO is a good subscription to have.

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Pros

The two things that I use, their Newsletter builder and their Campaigns builder, they are splendid.
The builder is clean and easy to use. There are constantly checks on your dynamic variables to ensure that you are referencing the proper fields.

As a software engineer that is interfacing with Customer.IO's API to send out notification emails to our customers, I have a few things to say about its API.
It is easy to use and predictable.
I did not have to spend many hours trying to send out an email.
It was straightforward, fast and most importantly, reliable.

Cons

With regards to building a Campaign. Before dealing with the dynamic variables in your template, you first have to make it available to you. In other words, from your code, you need to send in the payload with the variables that you wish to reference.

Then, the template will come to life with your sample data and you can begin to finalise your design.
I just feel that maybe, if we can have a dummy data kinda workflow for the UI of Customer.IO, that would be cool.

Kate
Kate

Wonderful for Transactional Emails, Not as Great for Email Marketing

Reviewed on 2022/01/14

Overall, I think all our issues with the platform are because of the way we initially set it up. Customer.io has now added new functionality that fixes most of the issues we've had. They're doing a great job of listening to customers and amending their roadmap accordingly. Overall, think it's got a bright future.

Pros

My favorite thing is that they recently added functionality to remove duplicate email addresses from sends. Thank goodness!

Cons

Segmentation is tough. And we set up our account based on customer ID so we have kind of a data mess in there (multiple accounts with the same email address). But as long as you're using it as intended, for customer communications, it's perfect.

Rahil
Rahil
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Automate your marketing campaigns with ease

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

An excellent tool for Automated Marketing campaigns and the product and support teams are extremely helpful

Pros

- Customer profile management
- Hybrid HTML and Text Editor tool
- Workflow set-up for Campaigns

Cons

Uploading Customer lists manually is slightly complicated

An Advanced CLM tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Pros

- The Features and customizations available

Cons

- The complications to bring about the automation.

Alessandra

The best emailing platform I've ever used

5 starts

5 starts

Pros

It's so easy to use, their sales and support team is the absolute best, and their features are way above average.

Cons

Nothing, I love it. I wouldn't change anything.

Georgios
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Extremely handy email communications

Reviewed on 2021/08/09

An excellent product worth its money and reputation. We use it weekly for external marketing communications.

Pros

I loved its compatibility and easy to use system. You can sign off an email marketing campaign with a few clicks.

Cons

Perhaps its limited design options in some cases, but its automation is still high end.

Michele

Customizable, easy to use, lots of features!

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

Pros

Building email campaigns have never been easier. Customer.io has many customizable elements to make very complex or very simple email flows. I appreciate how easy it is to use even for someone who isn't as familiar with marketing strategies.

Cons

I wish I could change the trigger type for email campaigns after I save it instead of having to create a whole new campaign when I make a mistake.