19 176 reviews

Slack

A single place for team communication and workflows

4,6 /5 (19176 reviews) Write a Review!
4,6
4,5
4,5
4,6
4,4
19 176 reviews
Ivan M.
Industry: Computer Software

The right tool for the job!

Reviewed on 2020/01/21

Best thing that happened to our company. Our productivity has increased since and our "reachability" as well. We feel very close now, even for our team which is 100% remote.

Pros

They really put the work into making a chat software that is very usable. intuitive, agile and overall, very enjoyable. We use many of the bots the marketplace has, especially the Google Calendar, Zoom, Giphy and Slackbot integrations that comes with it.

Cons

I cannot think of much of what I dislike about Slack, because I like everything about it. I used to have an issue that Slack didn't load properly, but an update and empty cache button swiftly solved it. Sometimes the calls ring on the phone first before doing it in the computer.

Industry: Internet

Team Communication Simplified

Reviewed on 2020/09/28

We are using Slack as our primary communications as in-team and external members as well. Slack makes communications more professional than other casual messaging tools. There is a respect for other team members' private life as setting notifications off the work hours. We can keep all our commuınication in Slack and able to search and find our communications later.

Pros

Team Communication is easy and respectful to other team members.
Integrations with almost all other Saas providers allows users to do almost all actions within the Slack.
Advanced Search History is a great feature for team communication
Channels are keeping communication easier within the team or with external members.

Cons

The in-app call and video call options are still terrible in September 2020.
Exporting communication only available to admin. This should be done for everybody at least for private communications.
File search is still not good.

Jon B.
Company size: Self Employed

Slack is essentially advanced texting for business users

Reviewed on 2020/07/09

I started using Slack because my client required it. I find that it cuts down on my email dependence but I'm often frustrated when attempting to compose a message without standard elements such as tables, inline images, etcetrera.

Pros

I like the ability to stay in touch with our users via whatever device I'm currently using. For example, I can respond from my home computer, tablet, work computer or via my phone.

I especially like the ability to be notified of a new message via my phone where I can read the message on the phone but can step over to my laptop to reply.

I also appreciate the ability to add an email thread to a Slack Channel by simply adding a slack email address (each channel has a unique email address) to the CC field when I reply.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the extremely limited amount of formatting available to Slack messages. I can make a font bold and add links to files/images but I really miss the rich text features many similar apps provide.

It's also frustrating to need to keep typing adding the user name(s) when I'm responding to a message. I'm assuming that this is by design but it would really be nice to be able to "Reply All" to a conversation thread.

The desktop Slack application (running on Windows 10 Pro) has a "clunky" feel to it. It's written with a framework that allows the Slack developers to write HTML and JavaScript code that is essentially compiled into a Windows application and it definitely shows. Something as simple as selecting text is counter-intuitive (until you realize that it's essentially a web page mascaraing as a Windows application.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Lisa L.
Company size: Self Employed

Best Collaboration Tool Available!

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

Slack has been wonderful to use both professionally and personally. I have managed multiple cross functional projects utilizing this tool to gather the most recent information needed for status reports, metrics, check-ins etc. Personally I use it to collaborate with my Agile Coach friends across the globe to share tools, tips and tricks we use while supporting our teams at work. We also use it monthly during our zoom meetups to chat amongst ourselves and share info during the call etc. I highly recoomend this collaborative tool.

Pros

I LOVE that you can create your own channels to keep conversations and shared documents organized and easily accessible for different groups you are collaborating with.
I also LOVE that these channels don't expire and can be accessed by anyone across the globe that you are collaborating with. This has changed the way collaboration can happen virtually in real time!

Cons

The # hashtags can cause me issues when I am searching for things but I am starting to get better at using them.

Sanskriti G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Implementing Slack at work was an absolute decision

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

We implement slack for inter-office communications. Slack made the communication possible and managing workflows was a lot easier. We often use slack for real-time messaging not, particularly for archives. Overall, slack has enhanced our business productivity, collaboration between project teams, and managed to provide streamlined communication.

Pros

Slack was easy to use and implement at work. The web version of slack works completely fine. The slack interface is streamlined and ideal for business communication. We are able to replace emails at work and use communication on slack, which is quick and easy for project teams. The most significant thing I loved about Slack is, it can be integrated with other productivity, communication, and collaboration tools to make the work more streamlined and can be an optimum choice for automation and scripting.

Cons

The only downside to this application is its pricing. The standard plans lack most of the important features, so we thought of upgrading to Plus. Since the price is based on per person per month, we found the pricing for Plus too high. So, we had expected if the price could be pay-per-module, but that can’t be helped either.

Nicolas C.
Industry: Computer Games

Really good for Small to big teams

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

Pros

I used Slack for both my small startup and a 30 people agency I ran and it just scales perfectly.

The channels, easy file search, and free version to start with are great and it replaces internal email completely for our company.

Cons

Paid version could have a Startup friendlier version.

Nischala R.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Keeping on same page in team

Reviewed on 2020/09/04

I am happy to connect with people from diverse background without knowing personally.

Pros

It has public and private account, which makes it versatile to collaborate with global community.
It is a messaging tool which is very focused on task and general purpose. The best part is people will be joining on their own based on the interests/skills/hobbies and moderator is not inviting.

Cons

Sometimes when the channel has large group of people, we can get lost who is who and saying what.
Also password retrieval is not easy if you are setting account in new phone and forgot it.

Abdullah K.

Great Tool for Team Collaboration

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

I really loved Slack. We use it for communication, calls, video calls, screen sharing, group chats, status updates, application failure and success notifications, creating Jira tickets and sharing images, documents and other supported stuff. I liked everything about this software. Easy to create drafts by messaging yourself, easy to talk, quick to make a video call, easy to tag someone, etc. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

The best thing is the integrations with various apps available, that is seriously a great feature of the application. We have integrated Status Bot to share statuses. There are a lot of beneficial app integrations available.

Cons

I think everything is awesome. Maybe, new features can be added. Video conferencing can be improved.

Robin somaraj V.

Easy communication

Reviewed on 2020/06/28

Great tool for Communication collaboration and notification.
Plugin features is awesome

Pros

Great collaborative tool.
Great to see Outlook plugins bringing meeting and zoom meetings
Application support groups to notify
Great search capabilities to tag items by topics

Cons

If a plugin could be added to see the email notifications at least would have been great. Preview of content too

Can A.
Industry: Consumer Goods

the bridge between the agencies and us

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

I think it provides us with a good platform for communication with the team and other companies.

Pros

It makes us very comfortable in terms of file sharing and task tracking. In addition, we can easily follow our internal affairs in terms of project management.

Cons

Sometimes service interruptions can disrupt our business. It took some time to adapt to the post-changing design. A detailed "how to" beforehand would have been good.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Nelson kipchirchir S.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The best collaborative app.

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

As a business, we benefit most from Slack in terms of unified communication. Slack brings all the teams in the organizations together by collating the various channels they use and more so their conversations are stored very well in a database which later on they can be searched and used or viewed any time.

Pros

What I personally like most about slack is its ability to be easily integrated with other already existing external services. The app is so powerful with built-in external and external sharing options which give it the ability to share files with anyone.
The application also has a read state synchronization between a phone and a PC, in that when you check a message on your PC the phone also automatically checks the message as read.
I also I like that fact that they have Slack mobile apps for both Android and iOS,
The ability to share documents in all formats is also a plus

Cons

It is very hard to change invites only channel to public and also it takes a lot of time when it comes to channel clean up since one needs to access the archives in web interfaces to delete the messages which sometimes takes ages especially in channels with so many messages.

Muhammad daud S.
Industry: Financial Services

Slack - The collaborative tool to manage and share

Reviewed on 2020/10/23

Slack has overall allowed us to work effectively with the team and organize the projects/documentation properly with different channels.

The search feature is great for the team to review any former staff messages in various channels

Pros

We use Slack on daily basis to speak to the team, share files, manage channels with automation, using built-in apps, and much more as per demand.

Cons

Slack takes more memory (RAM usage) due to which when multitasking, the application is quite heavy and slow to use.

Matthew K.
Industry: Retail

Staying on the same page is important

Reviewed on 2020/10/24

Slack really helps my employees stay on the same page but only if they use it. Sometimes I need to remind them to use it. It definitely helps keep people informed of current events at the company.

Pros

What I like most is that slack is incredibly customizable. If you can think of a thing that needs to be done in the workplace slack has an implementation of it. Keeps everyone on the same page

Cons

Notifications can get out of control without setting up when you want to be notified. If you sign up for the free plan it doesn't save your conversations for more than a few months so you'll need to send any critical important data through email.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Adam C.
Industry: Internet
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Makes it easier to work with other people & teams

Reviewed on 2020/10/15

I spend most of my day in and out of Slack and it helps to keep things moving quickly. No need for long winded and formal emails or bulky ticketing systems with Slack around.

Pros

I like how easy Slack is to use. It’s as simple as you would expect an instant messenger app to be, but it has so many more features than that are just as easy to use! I can start a zoom call with a simple command, I get a message to remind me I have a meeting about to start and I can keep up to date with things happening across the company at a glance without having to trawl through email threads constantly.

Cons

I haven’t come across something I particularly like the least about the software as of yet. One thing I have tried to do but been unable is to quote a particular part of somebody’s message. Sometimes it’s useful to refer back to something myself or someone else in a conversation said, but the only option I know of is the forward/share message function. It would be good to have a simple ‘quote’ feature which allowed you to quote all of or a section of the message. But this isn’t a fault, only a potential improvement on an already great product.

Rashmi S.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Slack Experience

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

My overall experience with Slack is great. Except when I have to record meetings/demos, I like to use Slack. And for pure messaging, it works great as it also allows me to send files and also edit/delete past messages. Not all messengers provide these capabilities, so overall I love Slack

Pros

I use Slack all day to communicate with my team. It has most of the usual features that other professional messengers have. But one thing that I like the most is its ability to let me edit/delete the text even after I have sent it. In other messengers that I have used, once I have sent a message, there is no going back. So, if I typed something wrong by mistake, I cannot edit/delete it. The only thing I can do is to write a new message and explain the mistakes in the previous message. This can be OK sometimes, but in a lot of scenarios, it just add to a lot of confusion for the recipient and it can turn out out be a pain. I do not want to waste time explaining the messages that I accidentally typed wrong. I would just want to be able to edit the message, correct it and make it really simple for the recipient as well as for myself. After using this amazing feature, I hate to go back to other messengers that do not yet provide this capability.

Cons

Few other messengers provide very good recording capabilities, example record the meeting/call/demos. when it comes to this feature, I have to switch to another messenger. Also, @here usually sends alert to everyone subscribed to that channel. But when the conversation is in a thread, @here does not work. Probably a bug?

Best-of-Breed Messenger Platform

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Been using Slack and admin in Slack since 2015. It's gotten a lot better and they definitely list to customers and what we want to see.

Pros

-UI is very easy to use for anyone to jump right in
-Easy to navigate and admin
-THE platform companies use to chat. Far better than GChat, Teams
-Customizable to user
-TONS of integrations
-Shared channels with our clients or companies we are clients of. Easy to manage and end when contracts end.

Cons

-Pricing. Definitely need the "Plus" license for HITRUST compliance and it's 2x more than a standard license. Paying twice as much just to have a feature we haven't used in over a year did not make the Finance team happy. Also need Plus to use onboard/offboard functionality in Bettercloud automations.
-Recent outages. Since march 2020 we've experienced issues almost every month even though Slack's status website only reported 3. I would get spammed with emails or Google Chat(our backup if Slack goes down) messages asking me what to do. I can't do anything, they went down.
-Private channels are invisible even to admins- even as the admin I can't see private channels which have been a problem when trying to create a channel but getting an error that channel already exists.
-When inviting users, add them to a user group that automatically that would add them to all channels they need like Eng, CS, Sales each get their 5-10 channels automatically.

Daniel H.

Slack -- Great for Startup companies or enterprises

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Collaboration problems solved. Excellent plugins, and even writing your own (for example have a Git commit hook setup, that shows any commit, and also, any deploys to staging and production, so the entire team can see what is happening.

Pros

Very easy to share files, and have separate conversation threads (IRC style), with multiple members of your team. You can create channels to and invite members to, to discuss a particular topic -- such names of different projects, or groups within the company. Really allows you to organize your thoughts and help manage your teams projects and tasks, as far as communication.

Cons

While it offers great collaboration tools, the actual project and task management is kind of lacking. Even though we use Trello and Jira (and you can have Trello and Jira plugins for Slack, but they don't really integrate into the UI), I wind up assigning and following up on tasks from within Slack. For example, i will message a developer and ask them to fix a list of bugs, or post 5 or 6 detail fixes/feature requests, after reviewing a new branch on staging.

The problem is that you then send subsequent messages on that channel, and the tasks get buried. Then you have to scroll up, and find the task, if you want to review. There is no way for the developer to mark the task as done, or for me to easily see if they did it. Sometimes, I will have to scroll back into conversation thread for weeks, to find the 5 or 6 requests I made to the dev, and then re-ask the dev if he completed them.

Now, this may be a nit unfair, since Slack is not a project management tool, however, it lends itself VERY EASILY to being one, since it natural to assign tasks within Slack.

The slack team could very easily build tasks as a native feature in Slack, and make collaborating on tasks and PM much easier, as it's too time consuming to hop into Jira each time a bug is found -- I simply don't have time.

Christopher W.
Industry: Entertainment

Why We Use Slack For Our Start-Up

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Slack has been a great addition to our daily work ethic. Being able to use it on a mobile device as well as desktop is key and it has become an integral part of splitting up our tasks. I really couldn't recommend it more.

Pros

The overall ease of this software is superb. Every one of our team members found it easy to use immediately.

Cons

The one thing that bugs me is the return button. If you are writing a message then if I want to use a new line by pressing return Slack actually sends the message. So I then have to go in and edit my message. Return in Slack is another key. You would think would be easy to remember but then every other product has the return key used as a new line so I'm always having to edit my messages of they are spaced out.

Nicholas M.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great for charitable organizations (because it can be free). Powerful. But expensive!

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Push notifications and alerts have been helpful. We are able to get important information out to our team very quickly, and we are able to "thread" the information so that only certain groups or certain topics are discussed in certain "channels" or "threads."

Pros

Slack is made free for basic functions for charitable organizations. For this reason it can be a great option for charitable organization. It has powerful features, including video conferencing, file sharing, phone and web app integration, and file sharing. It also has cross-platform integration allowing connectivity between multiple different products, including Google and Microsoft products and IFFFT.

Cons

It is not cheap at all for even a small organization (unless your organization qualifies for a free subscription). There are limits to the number of users in a video conference.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Prince K.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

One of the Best Collab tools!

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

Overall the tool is used to communicate and share files amongst your own team as well as other teams which are external to yours. Its great for announcements or even details that you can pin to each individual or team chat. The channels allow you even finer controls over who can see it, participate, as well as the overall purpose. Its a superb tool for having each team create their own channels as well as special channels which can be used for announcements, heads up, changes, basically anything you need to communicate across. It is everything you would expect in a collaboration tool.

Pros

Ease of use and the feature list is probably why this tool does so well. It even allows you to build custom apps that you can implement with your existing apps/tools for a more streamlines experience! Its honestly made life a lot easier to collaborate amongst team members, especially during Corona times and working from home.

Cons

There really isn't much about this tool that I don't like. It runs smoothly and constantly has new updates to make the experience even better. The only thing I can think of is that it can be resource intensive at times but honestly it has not slowed me down yet. Also, when sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, it would be nice if it can be done from the same UI of the screen-share. Well made tool overall!

Brian F.
Industry: Legal Services

Essential Communication Tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

I have been using it since 2015 and am a happy camper. Slack is a daily tech solution in working with others both professionally and for volunteer & hobby projects. I would be in so much aggravation if I had to deal with more emails, phone calls, texts, or heavens forbid, skype :-(.

Pros

I enjoy:
• the reduction in emails, text, and phone calls that Slack provides,
• the search function,
• how slack integrates with google drive,
• the easy to navigate communication options with direct communication, general communication, channel communication, etc.
• the cost is very reasonable and slack gives credits as well

Cons

The UX for administrative and management functions is less than ideal. Tasks like archiving/un-archiving channels or adding/removing users is needlessly complicated.
Simple functions that should be part of the platform are not readily available, which is a shame. There should be a organic drive section and task list section native to the platform that by default are turned on at start but can be hidden.

Alex B.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

The best chat application.

Reviewed on 2020/08/17

Slack makes team communication easy. I use it to send updates to team members, build relationships with team members (it's funny how much team culture and unity can be built on a strong foundation of memes), post polls, gather feedback on internal projects, get quick answers to quick questions, etc. Slack makes it easy to integrate, so I've used third-party integrations like HeyTaco for employee recognition. Slack makes it possible to do a significant portion of your work out of a chat app.

Pros

Slack has by far the best UI, the best organization, and the best set of features. Competing products like Google Chat (the business version of Hangouts) don't even come close. The most critical feature is being able to simultaneously log in to multiple Slack instances which each have multiple rooms, groups, etc. Slack makes text-based communication super easy.

Cons

It's pricey in comparison to some of the competing software (especially if your organization already uses G Suite, it may be a hard sell to move to Slack). Also, Slack literally makes me more of a slacker - it's too easy to BS with coworkers or members of other non-work-related slack groups when I should be working.

Scott C.
Industry: Media Production

Your Team In Your Pocket

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

I enjoy working with Slack. I'm on some channnels for web developers with tens of thousands of members and can often get a free answer to an easy (for a developer) question and fast. I've also met a lot of great people through that channel. Conversely, I haven't perfected the notifications so that I don't get pinged when anyone on any of the channels posts anything, and that adds up. I'm sure it's manageable, but I haven't found the time to check that box.

Pros

This is a no-brainer for start-ups and even old dinosaurs, especially these days (the great COVID pandemic). It combines the instant gratification of any chat app with intuitive drag n' drop filesharing, one click sub-group or project teams for siloed group coms, direct messaging, and hashtag denoted conversations for general participation that can even function like a newsfeed for relevant link sharing and other project or industry news or internal updates. Slack has become the default Millenial professional communication tool, and not just for the pretty icon. It's free for a long way but there are tiered account options all the way up to enterprise which has more trumped up security and support, as well as tools like huge video chats, unlimited storage and history, and unlimited software integrations (it works great with Google Drive.).

Cons

As a consultant, I am on several different slack "channels" - the Slack term for different companies Slack environments. It's easy once your set up with their software client and app to switch back and forth, but getting set up can require a call to the IT guy or the administrator of each separate Slack channel for permissions and credentials. Not a huge headache, but these days anything that requires a call to anyone can be considered at least a minor hassle.

Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great Business Continuity Tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

Pros

1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together.
Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team.
Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues.
Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc.
Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

Cons

Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

Matthew G.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The Gold Standard For Workplace Communication

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

We have employees all over the world so Slack is our hub for communication. We use it to have conversations, post announcements, and brainstorm ideas. It can also launch video conferences with excellent annotation features which makes it easy to share ideas about a document or piece of code.

Pros

It is extremely easy to use, there are many bots and tools to customize your workspace, and the actual communication tools are superior to the ones offered by Google and Microsoft. For example, the ability to thread conversations, easily set reminders about messages, and other subtle things add up to a much better communication system.

Cons

I have experienced no major negatives as a user of the product. Depending on the number of users in your organization, the monthly cost will start to add up but I think this is similar to their competitors unless you're already paying them for other services that include something like Microsoft Teams, for example.