Slack Reviews

Slack

A single place for team communication and workflows

4.6/5 (15169 reviews)
Katie K.

A robust business tool that goes beyond instant messaging!

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

This is a tool to improve communication and collaboration. From my team's experience, we were able to pose questions to the group and discuss in real time, while keeping a record for future reference. Sharing documents in one place was simple for discussion, rather than having to wade through an entire Google Drive to find the right document name. In our company's case, Slack really did eliminate the need to have frequent project meetings.
At the time of this review, our team had not taken advantage of more advanced integrations.

Pros

Slack is simple to set up and start using on Day One. From an administrative perspective, it is simple to set up users and permission levels. New users will appreciate that the interface is fairly intuitive and customizing notifications takes just a few minutes. Advanced users will enjoy taking advantage of shortcuts, integrations with other tools and additional automation features.
The best reasons to use Slack from my experience are:
- A list of application integrations that seems to grow by the day
- Creating channels for specific projects or teams can eliminate the need to have in-person meetings
- The ability to search and review past conversations is priceless
Our team barely has barely begun to scratch the surface of all of the features included with Slack. I highly recommend using the free trial to get a feel for the software. Likewise, there is a Free version of the product that has much of the functionality of the paid version but limits the organization to 10k messages (which limits the search functionality - if you use this version I highly recommend "star"-ing or "favorite"-ing messages that you do not wish to be archived after the message limit is hit)

Cons

The cost per user license can be prohibitive for small companies or those just starting out. Although, if you weigh the functionality included with the product, you could make the case that the time saved and added efficiencies are still well worth the cost.

Jon C.

Slack changes the model for business communication

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Great communication tool and indispensable in the modern world of business.

Pros

It's IRC for business communication with a (much) nicer interface. Slack organizes discussions into channels and IM. It's easy to reach out to anyone in the company and have a discussion. Even better is the ability to bring in external users (customers) who can then quickly converse with support and engineering teams. For any new open source project, Slack is the preferred way to communicate with other contributors and users. Recently Slack has even added the ability to do VOIP calls through their platform. The mobile app works well and the UI is well designed to mimic the desktop app.

Slack also integrates with pretty much everything out there and it's also simple to write your own bots and plugins for Slack. For instance, we have a bot that alerts whenever someone writes to use on Intercom, as well as another that checks Stack Overflow for new messages pertaining to our project.

Finally Slack pricing is fairly competitive. There's a free tier which gives you most functionality except for the ability to search (if you exceed 10,000 messages). Then multiple paid tier options based on the number of users in your organization.

Cons

The desktop and mobile apps are my preferred way to use Slack and occasionally the performance tends to drag. Once in a while the Slack mobile app will unexpectedly terminate, although in recent updates it does that less frequently. I also don't like the fact that private conversations aren't really private as companies have the ability to request Slack for those records. I get it for compliance reasons, but be warned that private conversations are never private!

The search UI workflow isn't the most intuitive, they should just op for some universal search versus organizing the search results by type.

Janosch F.

This is the new way to communicate online

Reviewed on 2019/05/12

I use Slack for daily communication business and to stay connected to coworkers and suppliers distributed among different locations. We have implemented Slack as a missing link that smoothly makes working with people on the other side of the country as if they would be sitting in an office just down the hallway.

Pros

Slack is simple, it is easy to use it has a lightweight user experience thus, at the same time is very powerful. In day to day routines it is just a great way of communicating (chatting) with coworkers. Perfect, reliable, fast asynchronous communication. Then someone tells you something you need to remember next week- use integrated reminders, that send you a message when you need it. Or you want to share your desktop real quick, to sho someone something in order to get their opinion. Slack has you covered. Or have a video call with someone or even a group of people. There you have it. Share files ? No problem. Want to have your conversations deleted after a while. there you go. The most impressive thing about all this is the simplicity and ease in which these features integrate into the core functionality which is a chat. Bravo !

Cons

Some of the features seem - behind the scenes - not optimized allready. Sharing data from my mobile device require it for example, to be uploaded first and then downloaded to the recipient. It works, but it takes more time and, I don't care when it is on the server I only care for it to reach the intended recipient(s). Synchronize it to the server whenever its suitable. Connection and reconnection gets tangled up sometimes, with Slack insisting that there is no connection available although all other applications have reconnected already. This however is complaining on a very high level, as these issues are really minor compared to almost all other platforms for online communication I have used.

Slack Public Channels improves company communication across teams.

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

It's a great tool, these are the key points for me:
* Improve team collaboration, shared information in a single place and all team has access to the same information.
* Reach people, sometimes you need to collaborate to make things happen, and slack does a great job at that.
* Integrate to CI/CD pipelines, we received notification about or system all time. It's better than having thousands of emails.

Pros

Public channels:
They are easy to create/configure and allow members of the company to share important information in a single place. This is really helpful for software development teams when important information is shared with other application it gets lost and there is no record of it. With the slack channel, the information is stored and can be used as references. (Developers don't have or we don't want to have time to write documentation).

1:1 Message:
What I really like is that is very easy to find people and ping them and start a conversion. Most important, you can share files, photos, URL, gifs (Very important), in a single place. Making collaboration easy and something to enjoy.

Integration:
Slack can be integrated with a lot of third parties. In my case, it's very useful to integrate with Jenkins and code versioning applications. We have implemented CI/CD and we received a slack notification with deploy information, testing information or if a system is down.

Cross-Platform:
Be able to access slack with cell-phone/desktop application is really awesome. If I don't have my computer at hand, I can keep replying messages and collaborate. Especially important when we have a critical bug, or we have to take action.

UX:
The UX is one of the best, you can start using slack with no training, it's very intuitive and easy to use. Once you start using it, you don't want to use other applications.

Cons

Conversion history:
Sometimes the conversion history is deleted after N amount of dates. Probably this is a configuration in my company, but I would like to store more information.

Re-Login:
Once in a while, you have to re-login, but what I don't like is that it logs you out without giving you a warning. It had happend before that the application logs me out, and I notice that one hour later.

Luis ignacio C.

The disclosure for labor communications that all work needs.

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Work communication has always presented problems, the excuses range from an email that did not arrive on time, to a document with compatibility problems. Since I implemented Slack within my workspace, and in the company where I work, I have managed to fulfill the assignments that I request in record time, which has improved reception to my work within the company and in the perception of each client that asks me for a design for any advertising campaign. For any entrepreneur, Slack is a fundamental ally, because they offer you different plans that match your economic abilities, thus saving time and money in an amazing tool that has saved me a lot of headaches and allowed me to have a more fluid communication with all my work team.

Pros

One of the things that I liked most to fulfill my assistance and attention to the work teams, is the mobility that Slack offers me, I have all the power of an effective, simple and friendly platform so that my work is better. The other aspect that I liked the most, is that it is an immediate communication channel that gives me the freedom to work from anywhere, a few weeks ago I traveled out of the city and managed to attend in real time to several clients of the company for which work. Also, thanks to its wide compatibility, I have managed to use it in different operating systems, it is so nice not to have to worry about why I have made it my favorite work communication platform. In addition, you can integrate it with other tools, which strengthens all the work that I must accomplish and the scope of response for my clients and colleagues.

Cons

I have thoroughly reviewed all aspects of this great platform, and until now I have not found any negative aspects to highlight, I can safely say that in these years using its services, I have only seen improvements so I know that in the future it will be better every time.

Slack is the BEST way to communicate asynchronously

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Overall, my experience with Slack has been extremely positive. It's helped my teams communicate updates faster, work more efficiently, and has increased cross-functional projects within the company. Additionally, it's a one-stop-shop for updates, conversation, and file sharing – three things essential for any high-performing team.

Pros

I work remotely for a large company, and Slack is key to making that possible. Email would just be too slow, and other chat programs don't have the functionality or breadth that Slack does. The structure built within Slack helps keep messages and ideas organized and the search feature is extremely intuitive, making it easy to search for past messages/ideas.

Slack also has functionality that helps team members express their personality asynchronously via the use of custom Slack emojis, Gif's, etc. This may seem superfluous, but for Remote employees it's a great way to recapture those in-between moments that are otherwise lost working outside of the office.

Finally, Slack has increased their plugin capacity, allowing teams to use Slack seamlessly with their existing tools. This has allowed my teams to streamline our discussions, instead of discussing in 1 place, sending files in another, etc.

Cons

Given that Slack is so easy to adopt and can quickly become invaluable to employees, I do find it strange that it's settings are hard to find in order to create the work/life balance most employees crave.

It also doesn't have an option to download conversations to create a hard-copy record (for meeting minutes, etc.).

Aislinn K.

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Slack

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

One indicator of its awesomeness is that it was down earlier this week, and everybody was freaking out, so especially on our team, we were confused about what to do, do we send fax messages to each other? Do we find our pagers again? So it's definitely made an impact in our business if it goes down.

Pros

Our favourite feature for slack is that it makes it super easy for teams to collaborate and communicate very easily. There are ways to connect with just single individual users, groups of users, or even have channels to communicate with people about different projects or topics of interest, super cool.

It makes it really easy to communicate between members or within channels, so groups of people, set groups of people, and even with other organizations. So you can get on to another workspace at the company and you’ll communicate back and forth through that which is awesome.

Also, there's some really good Zapp integrations and Native integration. So, for instance, we use it so that when a proposal is signed off on, we get a message to a specific channel on Slack to notify the whole team, of course with a cheesy GIF because why not, that a proposal was accepted and that this kicks off a whole bunch of other processes for us. And then as well, it has a really good direct integration with Google Drive. So, if somebody sends me a document, it shows up in a Slack channel for me so I can access that really easily, I can see any documents really easily.

Cons

Although you can jump between workspaces really easily, it's a little bit cumbersome actually making that transition. So, I'd like to see it organized a little bit more like Asana where you've got a dropdown and you switch over rather than having to navigate over to the side and then select it, there's a little bit of a time lag.

Sébastien L.

Slack Must Be the Most Useful Communication Tool of the Modern Era!

Reviewed on 2019/04/14

Slack has allowed me to improve work relationships and provided a bridge to access different organizations in the same place, from freelance to more traditional enterprises. It has also been extremely helpful to communicate with fellow students at one university, as this is the chosen tool for all generic communications. Because it makes it easy to share code, images and videos either directly on the platform or through third-party services like Google Drive and Dropbox, it has enabled our teams to work more effectively and gather resources in one central spot. And because the search function is quick and offers different filters to narrow down the results to specific channels or members, it's easy to find what you are looking for. It has worked incredibly well for groups of hundreds of people connected at once with perfect synchronicity. Having the ability to stay updated on the fly thanks to the mobile application is also a great advantage that comes in handy more than once.

Pros

I really enjoy how flexible Slack allows you to be by creating any number of channels you may need to break down conversations per topic. Beyond having the ability to create and join channels based on your needs, the feature to star items is particularly helpful when you are on the go and want to come back to a specific point in time quickly. It is easily accessible with just one click (or tap on mobile) and makes it easy to remember key conversations that are happening. Slack also integrates brilliantly public conversations and what's called "direct messages", enabling you to have private conversations with any member within the organization, hence avoiding the need to use an additional platform for this specific purpose. There is also a neat and practical solution brought by Slack apps, which add even more features including the ability to share polls with Polly, integrate with GitHub, share files stored on Google Drive and Dropbox, which are the apps that we use the most. Being able to control notifications precisely, automatically snoozing them when you are unavailable, makes for a more peaceful experience when dealing with hundreds of members. There are also other features that make you life better, such as the many keyboard shortcuts and the built-in commands you can fire up directly from the reply area, including formatting options and interactions with Slack apps.

Cons

On the down side, I have found it somewhat confusing to get to set up Slack within other services through their API, for instance to connect Slack on GitHub. Although the reply area is feature-rich, some functions like text formatting could be more intuitive. For example, you don't get to see live if your text will be bold or italic. Slackbot is useful to ask simple questions, but many times it will provide answers that are too simple and could easily be improved. Once again on formatting, Slackbot doesn't explain how to format "code" snippets in-line or even on multiple lines. Many hidden features can only be found by looking online in the "Help Center" or by trial and error, which is not as practical as being able to ask questions directly to Slackbot which should be able to handle those requests. I have also found the desktop application to simply be an exact replica of the web application. Apart from the fact that it adds a little Slack icon in the notification bar, I find it even less intuitive to use than the web application, as it requires to open a new tab in the web browser to sign in. By not being completely independent from a web browser, it basically just results in having a separate web browser that can only handle one tab, which makes it rather inconvenient, especially considering that notifications are well integrated in the web version and that you can "pin" tabs in most web browsers to keep Slack one single click or keyboard shortcut away.

Shayne H.

An efficient and reliable inter-office communication tool!

Reviewed on 2019/04/09

Slack has been instrumental in connecting everybody in our organization. I'm not just saying that. Various departments within our company have become competitive and often complete projects way before deadlines. That's because we've applied and integrated Slack into our organization in such a way that we use internal performance appraisals, awards, etc to achieve this. Also, we are a SaaS company that believes in a positive work atmosphere and Slack helps us achieve just that.

Pros

1) User Interface: Slack is quite user-friendly but requires a little bit of an initial learning curve in order to get that hang of things (considering it's a bit different from your average personal communication tools). In no time, you'll be able to locate new channels, switch between them and message individuals directly.

2) Making Work Fun: As its name suggests, "Slack" allows users to ease professional tension and stress by providing them with a wide range of "Fun Gifs", emojis, etc. Users can even make use of different "reactions" (Just like you have on most Social Media Platforms). This is quite useful for us because we can vote on posts using various reactions. Our in-house designers often compete with each other on various projects and the rest of us vote for them. Therefore; Slack = Increased Productivity. Of course, you can have your own methods of applying this feature.

3) Suitability: Slack is best suited for small or medium sized businesses. They have a "free forever" plan, a "Standard" plan and a "Plus" plan. The main differences between these subscription models are chat-log backup capacities, the number of third-party app integrations you can use (Unlimited for all paid plans), Customer Service response timings, file storage per user and few other differences.

4) Notifications: Slack makes it possible for its users to have many options of getting notified. The best feature, in my opinion, is where someone can "@" you in a message or a post.

Cons

1) File Preview: It would be nice if you can preview a document without having to download it first.

Great for virtual team collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Since I use it everyday, I would say this is has become an invaluable tool for me and collaborating with colleagues (w/the exception of not being able to see msg history beyond 10k). I would recommend this to anyone who works virtually OR if you're like me and drown in emails.

It doesn't matter if you are in a tech field or not: if you can text an use social media, you can juse Slack. bottom line, it's a WIDELY used tool with a growing number of other app integrations that the paid version allows you to seamlessly tie your [communication] workflow together. I resisted for a while but now I can't imagine not having it.

Pros

- Slack allows me to commimicate in real time without using email with clients and colleagues all over the country & the world. The free version doens't have as many features as paid, but still robust enough to work for a small 1-man shop
- Channels (topics/groups) allow for communication on a topic w/only relevent members (by invitation). preventing tons of emails to track = it's all in one place, in timeline format; this allows you to see who wrote what, when and, whatwas shared (urls, files/photos, etc).
- Direct/private chats for more sensitive info
- Notification types vary based on your set preferences: when you're mentioned in a channel, indexing keywords. w/hashtags for searching history (like bookmarking).
- Video conference calls (paid version allows for up to 15 participants, screen sharing, more storage space & unlimited msgs)
- Save comments for later w/reactions or saves to something shared.
Clients can be invited to channels and only see that channel's content, allowing things to continue.
- File sharing, video calls & integrating with lots of other software/services listed on their site) combines all communication in one tool reducing the need for emails
- Cost for the paid plans is relatively nominal and since it elminates the need for emails in many cases, it ultimately pays for itself by saving time + the additional features you get.
- Online access to customize your account
- Multiple teams (i.e. 1 for your main business, 1 if you're invited, etc

Cons

Based on my experience using the free version, I find some of the features to be less intuitive = I can't be sure if I can integrate something for a smaller fee or if it's only available in a paid plan.

Since many chats tend to grow over time, the free version limits you to 10k messages; you'd be surprised how fast that gets used up. If you try to search for something once you exceed 10k msgs, you may not have access to it. (I get it, it's the free version but it's like texting for business. 10k is small in grand scheme of things so you have to remember to save things you really think you'll need or you'll lose them.

Artem L.

The best solution if you don't want to bother choosing

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

For me, Slack is the best option available for team chats. It has some flaws, but no solution can replace it really. If you want your company conversations to be organized, and also to be fast and mobile, there is no better choice for me.

Pros

Slack is the best team chat software I ever seen. It works great on any platform, it looks cool and convenient, and you definitely should try it in your team or company if you never done this before.

Team discussions are organized in channels, while direct messages is also available. In our company we also heavily use other messages organization feature: threads, which is like having channels in channels. So, we usually post only one message in channel for one topic, and then all who want to participate in discussion goes to thread attached to this message. In this way, channels stays clean, and anybody who don't want to participate in this discussion gets only one notification ― from discussion start. I really can't understand why other team chats can't implement threads in the right way ― like Slack did.

In addition to the above, Slack has many features that helps organizing work. My lovest feature is posts, which is something between usual messages and documents. So, if you want to post something really big, what should be properly formatted with headers and so on, you can use post. And posts also has collaboration features, so it sometimes can replace Google Docs (integration with which is also included).

Cons

Slack is based on web technologies, which is great for portability, but on the other side Slack really not as responsive as I want. It still works fast enough for generic user, but I can clearly say it is not native application.

Any chat app can't live without files sharing. And while file sharing is available, I can't even say it is OK. While viewing images and photos works pretty normally most times, anything more complex works illy. I can't sometimes understand if file downloads or not, and when it comes to video playing -- oh, it works awful most times.

The last thing I should mention, but which can be the big one for somebody: Slack is cloud-hosted only. So, all data is saved on Slack servers, and there is no way to use your own server. Moreover, it also means that you are bound to Slack infrastructure and should pay for it if you want bigger history of messages and some other features.

Slack is the beginning of something great

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

I have used Slack everyday for almost 5 years now. I can't tell you what it is that makes it more than an instant messenger, but whatever it is, Slack is a miracle.

You won't understand until you try it out for yourself.

Pros

History books will (or should) write about about Slack. There was the time before language, then we went to the time of the pony express, then we invented fax, then email, now we have Slack. Slack is amazing.

Collaborating with different people and teams is instant. Slack is more than an instant messenger though. It's a replacement to meetings. It's a replacement to memos. It's a replacement to HR emails and post its.

The best part, Slack integrates with EVERYTHING! Your sales team won a new client? We know, Slack is connected to Salesforce. A customer says the website is down? We know, Zendesk told us in Slack! It's so amazing what something so simple can do.

Best of all, Slack has a free version. Once you try it out you will want to get the full version, but I hate how no one gives free trials anymore.

Slack does things different and better, and it shows.

Cons

Slack can be very distracting, especially for managers. You will constantly have a little red icon next to your Slack icon. No worries though, just set away times in your settings.

Slack can also be hard to monitor if you are an HR manager. Especially if you are at a bigger company. Inappropriate jokes can be hard to track down.

Lastly, Slack is only valuable if everyone adopts it. This can be hard if you work with a bunch of stubborn people.

Liam S.

Slack it to me

Reviewed on 2019/03/31

Our organization was still using Skype in an archaic way for instant message communication and file transfers. Slack was the professional upgrade we needed that took the best of those features, enhanced, and organized them in one place. There were doubters at first, but the critics have come to see the value and we can't imagine doing our work without it now. "Slack it to me" is a phrase you'll hear in my office every single day.

Pros

"Slack it to me" is now one of the commonly heard phrases around our office. Though there was a time I wondered if I would be able to get this platform off the ground and embedded in our workplace culture. Since I first saw it in action at a hackathon the value seemed obvious. Not only does it facilitate communication, but it's become a place where we encourage each other, compete with each other, and build a digital working culture that didn't exist before. Things like message reactions, gifs, and custom animated emojis might not seem like essential workplace tools, but you'd be surprised by how important they've turned out to be. The people who doubted Slack was "necessary" before have come to see the value in it as it's taken off among our team. We pay for it now, and it's worth every penny.

Cons

Slack has proven indispensable as an instant messaging platform, but it can quickly grow out of control as more channels and private channels are created. Some on the team feel overwhelmed by how much information is available to them and struggle to keep on top of their unread threads and notifications. When implementing for your workplace, you may want to think about training to help people feel less overwhelmed and whether there's any kind of standard structure you want to enforce. For example, Some Slack workspaces I am a part of have extremely limited channels and keep everything centralized. Another thing you might find you don't like is the limited message history available on the free version. If you're committed to it, you really need to pay for the upgrade.

Jessica T.

Chat app of the future

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Overall, slack is the best option for teams of any size and even just a few of the positives outweigh any negatives. It's also the most fun chat app, and it was built for the future of where companies are headed and the modern generation.

Pros

I absolutely love slack! It makes work conversation feel so much more fun, and collaborative. The best thing about slack is definitely the ability to have multiple channels, categorizing the many conversations that go on between co-workers. You can set up slack channels for general business announcements, specific project communications, fun and social channels to build relationships with your teammates, and a lunch channel which makes it easy to place lunch orders during long meetings. All of the above mentioned is just one awesome feature of slack. Conversations can get messy, and slack does a great job using threads to keep the flow of conversation readable. Another thing I like about Slack is the ability to not only communicate internally, but invite outside parties you're working with to specific channels. Instead of receiving multiple emails slack allows you to get quick communication and notify the important parties with a simple tag.

Cons

slack integrates with so many programs and has so many features not all of them are easy to use and understand. You also can't tag other people to invite to the conversation when having a direct conversation with only one person, which is kind disappointing since a tag should work everywhere. I think if slack could provide better tutorials and training on the advanced functions it would serve people well.

Slack is great tool for communication within company and conferences!

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

We are an international company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. It is our corporate policy to use Slack for all corporate communications and as preferred tool for conferences within and outside of the company. So far, experience was extremely positive!

Pros

We have recently implemented Slack for all corporate communication. I absolutely love the tool! Once somebody types a message, you get email notification and can open messages right away. You can form project groups and do all communication, conferences for relevant group members. I think this is especially valuable for global corporations with multiple international locations like my company. Our project team members work at different multiple US and international locations with huge differences in time zone. Slack allows us to form project group and add people from different offices to these group. Then, I type message and everyone in the group can see it. Also, I could initiate a call to everyone within group and it is fast and easy - actually, as easy as calling one person. I also love Slack feature of screen sharing during those calls. I can share my screen with the group, can review detailed Excel files. This is very important in finance function in which I work. We have finance teams at multiple location. Screen sharing feature allows us to share and discuss very detailed Excel files and make corrections during call with finance project team. We are consulting company and view security of client information as key to our successful business. Slack is a very secure tool. So, our company is feeling very positively about sharing information and communication for our client project teams using Slack. Overall, Slack is great tool!

Cons

I really like Slack. I was a little bit surprised that it is not as widely know like for example, Skype or other communication/conference tool. This is great tool and my advise to Slack team is to increase its publicity. With all this great functionality, Slack can be used for a lot of companies and spread widely!

Khuram Z.

Slack is Amazing!

Reviewed on 2019/03/03

Overall, slack is incredible and I can't imagine running my business without it. It's forever changed how the workforce communicates and will only get more integrated into our every day lives as it develops.

Pros

I'm not gonna lie, when my CTO first suggested we start using slack, I was not impressed and actually kind of annoyed. I didn't like how it had constant messages and felt it would be disruptive. But after just a few days, it really took off and everyone loves it. For one thing, it's a great alternative to having people use emails. Secondly, if you organize your channels properly, it can streamline communications very effectively. Lastly, it's a great way to build a strong culture on your team. The system is incredibly easy to set up, it's super intuitive and people can figure out how to use it, and it's fun! You can add images of your team in it, use giphys, use smiley faces, and have all sorts of add-on's to the system. It makes communication fun and thus facilitates more communication. Moreover, I love the billing feature where it automatically increases / decreases your billing based on your users and if a user becomes inactive, it will automatically decrease your bill. Very convenient. We use add-ons such as nile.ai to generate wikis through slack, donut to help employees go out for coffee and learn more about one another, and giphy to make the chats fun and enjoyable.

Cons

Sometimes slack can be a bit disruptive as it's always on. So for example if you need some private time, you can't always focus because your always getting messages. The simple solution to that is by going on snooze. The other issue is that sometimes information can get lost and it's not always easy to find. The solution for that is to use wikis such as nile.asi.

Charlie C.

A new (and fun) way to communicate

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

When we started with Slack, the folks pushing it said, it will cut down significantly on your email. I didn't believe that it would but as more and more people started using it I saw a major decrease in my email. I love not having long confusing threads. If something is posted in a channel everyone in the channel gets to follow if they chose to do so. It makes work life so much easier.

Pros

Slack seems to have taken the lead in social media type business communication. We started using them a few years ago and have at times reviewed other systems but always came back to Slack having something that the others didn't. We started with one business unit and recently pushed it out to the whole company as our preferred method of internal communication.

The product is easy to use. People seem to pick it up and start up on it in hours rather than days or weeks. While some people have other tool preferences, most people seem to like working with it.

It is designed to be a fun tool. When you have read all your messages, it will say something silly like, "Your all done, here is a tractor" and show you a picture of a little tractor. Quotes will come up while it is loading although it loads so fast that you don't have time to read them - a good thing. Users can add their own quotes too. Generally it has a fun look and feel to it.

Finally customer support has been fantastic (at least from a user point of view - I am not in IT and therefore not involved in set up support) I have sent messages to them numerous times with questions or suggestions and have always received a fast response back. My questions have been answered and I have even seen a few of my suggestions appear in later releases.

Overall Slack is a strong, easy to use, fun product.

Cons

There are a few things I would like to see improved in Slack.

1. Slack gives you options to easily have private group conversations which is nice if you want to discuss something with just three or four people. Bringing another person into the group and letting them see the conversation history is not an option. I understand why they do this. They are supposed to be private messages but it is really frustrating.

2. I am a channel hoarder. I have lots of channels that I like to follow. It would be really nice to be able to organize the channels into folders so that I didn't have some many in front of me. It would also make the one channel I need easier to find. Our company didn't do a great job of setting naming standards so the channel I need is stuck somewhere in a meaningless alpha list of channels.

3. And finally, give us longer channel names! We are stuck with 22 character limit on names and no capitalization which makes Con #2 just a bit worse. People creating channels have to be creative about names which is one of the things that led to our naming standards falling apart.

Eleazar J.

Slack is our top communication channel!

Reviewed on 2019/01/21

1. Email is good, but Slack is better! The ability to easily communicate with the client's w/o loosing any valuable time good for both.

2. We have a very smooth experience using slack after making that shifting decision in the past. And so far we have had no regrets. For us slack is the number one tool for internal and external communication.

3. Slack is like a best friend to me as a Project Account Manager this tool is a must specially if you know how to use the build-in AI Support to help you keep loop on your daily task.

Pros

We have been using different communication tool to collaborate with our existing and the rest of our customers. All acknowledge the facts that keeping things together in loop specially in dealing with projects deliverables on time is very crucial for the overall progress. Email is the thing in the past and slack is the existing and future solution for team collaboration.

Slacks offers many features and one of the thing I liked is that it perfectly works will when combined with Trello automation.

I would like to list down below the things we loved the most after using slack for years now:

- It's Free!
- It's fantastically fast and works well with both browser & app version.
- The ability to login to multiple workspace using a single app!
- The ability to create private channels & guest (for Paid version we use this)
- The ability to automation task using Zapier
- and other many handful tools

Because of slack many of our manual and tedious work have been solved now we use the slack paid version for our high profile customers and the free version for internal use.

For us Slack is a perfect tool when it comes to usability, collaboration, and automation.

Our customers loved it!

Cons

In the past there was an issue with the Slack App version on Mac about lagging, but so far after few updates it was long gone. Honestly, we been using slack for many years now and if there by any issue or glitches it get's fixed immediately w/o you even noticing it.

Phil B.

Slack Team and Peer use

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

This is a piece of software I have used for many years now across multiple companies. And I still remember working at a company that was trying to find a good piece of software for team communications, but could never find or agree on one. The next company I moved to used slack, and I instantly thought, why did we never use this! It is something I always recommend for team communication, and compatibility to other systems, applications.

Pros

This is an extremely useful tool for communication within a workplace, as a developer, it allows easy and good formatting for code snippets, collaboration, uploading screenshots, files. You can DM individuals, or groups of people, setup Channels for specific groups.
It has apps available on all platforms, including mobile, so you can keep in discussions on the move.
What is especially great, is the ability to communicate with people outside of work. So you can keep in contact with people you meet or old colleagues on a designated slack url. I find this very useful for talking to people who have specific or more skills in areas to me, so I can gain advice and input from them.
The free usage policy is very good, and for small teams is ideal. On a large organisation, you will quickly hit you limit, and old messages will begin to be removed, so if this is important to keep, then its best to check out their paid for version.
It is a very feature rich application, with a very pleasant UI, and lots of support for adding apps to support it, such as integrating GitHub so slack can keep track of issues, messages and progress of git repositories, or best yet, including Giphy, so you team can have a ball sending random gifs to each other.

Cons

From what I can tell, there is no way to snooze notifications from specific DMs, as the snooze applies to all. Not ideal, as there is a DM with a group that is more social than work related, and it would be nice to set that to snooze, whilst remaining not on snooze via the other DMs, so anything work related still notifies me. There is a notify button though, so even if you are snoozed, and someone messages you, they can send a nudge to alert you, if its important.

Samridh S.

Communicate and be productive in a fun way

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

If used properly and to the best interest o the company project and people, slack could be beneficial in communication, tracking and solving issues.

Pros

I use slack everyday at work and it is how we as the engineering team communicate with each other without disturbing each other's concentration and space. I started using slack 2 years ago and I can definitely see how easy it is to get stuff done and get the messages out to the team.
- Great for building trust among team
It's basically like a group messenger for work with additional benefits. It even allows GIFs which is pretty awesome. The team members are always on it and sharing each other's fun facts for the day and issues they ran into. it is great to get any new team member onboard really fast and part of the community. It makes people be engaged and part of the project in a much deeper level.
- Simple but powerful
There is not much to slack as it is a simple communication platform but it has incorporated some great tools to make it powerful. It has incorporated access to google drive so if you are using slack outside of work where the shared websites are not blocked it is definitely useful
- Speedy to resolve issues
Have an issue? share it on slack and see how your team members respond. Even though you may not reply to the conversation you are still learning at all times which I found was extremely beneficial.

Cons

Slack can be an issue if the team use it for more than just work most of the times,
- Steer away from the goal
many times I noticed team steered away from the actual work and conversation went a different direction. it is easy for that to happen when there are a lot of people in the group and bringing up different points.
- Needing to engage
We all want to be part of the conversation so sometimes that could lead to feeling left out or engaging too much.
- Not the goto method for comapnies
In my case it has always been just used as a side channel for communication so it doesn't really bring much to the table besides active informing.

Gabriel D.

Looking for the BEST communication tool at work? Choose Slack!

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Slack is a very good tool that supports communication in a team. At work, I use it every day to communicate with my colleagues and I can't imagine working without this application. The transition to Slack itself is smooth and after a few moments each new person or team begins to appreciate its simplicity and functionality. I recommend it to anyone who works in a team.

Pros

I have been using Slack for over 8 months and one of the main reasons to use Slack is to limit e-mail communication.To be honest, in my work Slack has allowed me to completely stop using other messengers! I receive emails sporadically, about once a month,because the rest of the communication takes place on Slack. Everything in one place.

How many times have you received an email that was not supposed to be sent to you or some of the people involved in the work were not attached to it? It happened to me notoriously.
On Slack, you can create a channel where everyone involved in a given work can freely discuss. Great solution - the whole discussion in one place! If there is a need for more private discussion, you can create a group where only part of the team will be invited, or write a direct private message, such as on Skype, Lync, Messenger or Google Talks.

It is also worth mentioning, that Slack is not just an internet application. It is also a series of applications designed for various systems - Windows, Mac OS X, and mobile systems - Android and iOS. These applications offer the same possibilities as the web application, and support notifications, thanks to which the use of Slack is even more enjoyable!

Cons

I don't have much to say against Slack, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be definitely a file search. Finding anything, a file that was previously described in detail, is almost impossible. If I don't save a file at the time of receiving it, I can unfortunately forget about it, because finding it again is really difficult.

Virginia B.

The Ultimate Tool for More Slack Time

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

Pros

Our company (software delivery solutions company – software industry) has been utilizing Slack for over three years to help both our internal and external teams keep organized. Our team often holds meeting remotely and works with distributed teams, sometimes even in other countries. Having the ability to communicate in one place has shown visible improvements in time and efficiency of getting our team work completed. Slack allows you to set up multiple “workplaces”. For example, we have one workplace we use for our external team and a secondary workplace for our primary, internal team. This helps us keep the responsibilities we share in each team separate of each other. Within each workspace you can create separate channels based on a particular group or topic and invite specific members who pertain to it. You also have a channel that enables everyone in that workspace to communicate within one area and/or you chat directly with one individual from that workspace (which would not be visible to anyone else). Slack’s search features are very helpful and work much like Google. You can also specify your search’s by choosing an individual, date, or key phrase to search for. Uploading and sharing PDFs, Excel, PPTs, etc. is also supported and can be easily shared among others. We rely heavily on Google as our file storage system. The free version of Slack provides you with the option to connect it to your Google Drive account so you are notified, with a link, when anyone share

Cons

Because we are currently utilizing the free plan for a fairly small to mid-sized team we often run into storage problems. When this happens, the only option you have available is to have each team member go in and delete EACH file individually. This is very tedious and time consuming and can take hours to delete 500 files (tip: keep up with it or do searches to make sure you don’t upload the same files that have already been uploaded to Slack). You can also clear more storage by having the admin delete messages from your teams’ shared messaging area, or what we recognize as our case, “general” channel.

Having the ability to look back into your history is very handy. I would strongly recommend the Standard Slack plan for those who have the extra wiggle room in their budget – which provides unlimited search history and app integration.

I currently utilize the desktop application of Slack, so that it is always on my tool bar and easy to access on the daily; however, it prone to timing out when losing internet connection.

Slack for Team Communication

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

We use Slack as an internal team communicate tool for transparency of discussions with team members in multiple time zones and also to encourage team bonding. Direct messaging is also conveniently located here and since most of the devs on my team don't actual bother to login to the company mandated direct messaging team, it's easier to get ahold of them.

Pros

My previous experience with group real-time communication was IRC. As an employee who had just barely gotten their toes wet using terminal, IRC was intimidating to run and intimidating to find any past conversations because searching it required terminal commands and a third party plugin to just login. It also did not retain history when you signed off, so as one who is on a team that includes people in no fewer than 3 time zones, I often missed communication when I went home. It took some prodding to get our team onto Slack, but once we were on all, we didn't look back. Slack's support of custom bots was, ironically, one of the determining factors for migrating, but we heavily use the drag and drop interface to share files and images all the time, and also push out GitHub notifications from cli testing into our channels. Being able to pin resources to channels and having the little channel blurb at the top has also allowed us to sub-divide into teams and have critical resources for each team (ticket tracking, zoom link, etc) at the top.

Cons

I'd say the one downside I feel about Slack is that while they did do a good job improving their search, I still find myself struggling to find things I know I favorited and I can't search favorites. I also wish I was able to tag favorites with my own set of tags.

Slack- Your Best Friend

Reviewed on 2018/12/29

Overall, this is a great way to communicate in a work place for all sizes. If you are a new business and want to test this out I would highly recommend doing so. I know several organizations that use slack and I have never heard a negative review about this software.

Pros

This is a great and easy way to communicate with staff and employees, especially if this a remote company or you have workers or work remotely. You can set up different channels to keep conversations organized, which also allows you to customize who can see each channel. There is a great new feature that allows you to be invited into another company's slack channel, which is very helpful if you work with different organizations. (this feature only works if both companies have the paid version) Another pro is that you can share anything through slack such as files, videos, pictures, zip-files, etc. This is a fast and effective way I communicate with our web designer by sharing photos, videos, urls, files, and more. The best feature is the app. I download it onto my Iphone and don't miss a thing. It also will notify you if you want to when a new message is posted. The app is so easy to use and functions just as well as the desktop version.

Cons

One con of this software is that if you have the free version you only have a limited amount of storage. If you do not send a lot of files and documents than this version should be fine. You can delete files if it gets close to reaching the storage maximum, but if you use this on a daily basis I would recommend buying the premium version. This gives you unlimited storage and space. Also, I wish that new feature of adding other companies to different channels externally worked on all slack versions, not just the paid version. This is a great feature that everyone would love to use.

Even the free version of Slack is incredibly useful and feels complete

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

My overall experience with Slack is that it is a very solid virtual workspace for your team. It does seem more geared toward workplace functionality than other similar options such as Discord, which seems to work better for gaming. The control that an admin user has is unparalleled, and it makes file sharing a breeze. The free version is more than ample for any team at work that doesn't want to jump through hoops to get their organization to pony up for the full version, and feels complete as is and not like you're constantly being bombarded to upgrade. There are a few drawbacks such as such reliance on third party widgets for some functionality, but even that is a mild gripe and the army of available widgets to choose from makes up for it. Slack is a great product.

Pros

The thing that I like the best about the Slack software is the fact that even the free version of the application (which is the one that we use) has an abundance of features. The biggest drawback of not paying for the software is that older messages are not archived forever and will be deleted as space is required. However, I have found that there is months worth of conversation still stored in the app, which for our purposes is more than enough.

Cons

The thing I like least about Slack is that a lot of the extensive functionality, such as polling your users, is done through third party widgets. While this does make for an extensive list of things that you can do in Slack that's too much for the developers of Slack themselves to realistically keep up with, the quality of these widgets are varying and you sometimes have to search through and then test out multiple ones before finding one that works perfectly for your needs.