Sentry

Track exceptions with modern error logging

4,8
4,6
4,5
4,4
4,5
Maxim L.
Industry: Computer Software

Sentry has been a default backend error tracker for years

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

We didn't have to configure and support anything for error tracking and alerting, Sentry is really a one-click solution

Pros

- Very easy to integrate with python projects
- Nice UI, trace page has all the context, you may potentially need to debug
- Can post exceptions right into Slack

Cons

No cons so far.
I think I was confused by the UI navigation a few time, but I was able to figure everything out by myself eventually.

Dilraj S.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Easy to configure Backend alerts for your production environment

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

Overall experience was really good with production alerts being fired anytime there was an exception or an outage on the backend server.

Pros

Sentry can be easily integrated with your platform for generating email alerts for any issues on production backend server. Be it an exception on the server or the outage, sentry will send an alert to your email and once you login to the dashboard, you can easily see the stack trace for the error which occurred on the server along with the frequency of occurring error. Sentry integration is available for different programming languages.

Cons

Setting it up with your backend server for the first time can take some time. Also we faced some issues with integrating the HTTPS sentry link with Node.js. Other than that, its a great tool in helping you keeping your production environment available 24/7.

Chris V.
Industry: Design

Very powerful, but can be confusing to set up

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

Sentry is an awesome tool for developers looking to collect errors in one place. The data log is really nice and it's great to be able to get email alerts.

Cons

If you're using one of the premade libraries for an existing framework, it's very easy to get started. But if you aren't working within a framework and need to set up the integration yourself it can be somewhat confusing. Sentry is born out of a previous/older project called Raven, and the Raven name is still referenced which makes it sometimes confusing to find up-to-date documentation.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Sven E.
Industry: Information Services

The best way to monitor applications & websites for issues

Reviewed on 2020/01/18

Sentry is used within almost all of our applications, whether they're run by ourselves or our customers. It provides amazing peace-of-mind because I can rely on Sentry to report any issues & also keep logs & error reports handy for further investigation of such issues. We've never regretted using Sentry and are very likely to not consider moving to another platform anytime soon.

Pros

Sentry is the best way to monitor your websites / applications for issues. It supports virtually every programming language, runs on every system, is easily set up and maintained and is really easy to use.

Cons

Sentry in the cloud can be a little pricey for smalle projects & developers but there is a self-hosted plan of the app which can be set up on your own servers, so really even pricing-issues are pretty much non-issues for us and, I'd imagine, most potential users.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Instant issue notifications to the entire team with visual reports, issue timelines, assignees

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Pros

Anyone on the team can subscribe to get instantly notified about the issues; multiple projects supported in the same dashboard (in my team we use separate projects for different types of environments). Automatic weekly and monthly reports are simple but informative. Gitlab integration is available. I also really like visibility into team members who have already seen the issue. Issue search filter is very detailed as well. Open source and cloud versions are available so any team's needs can be met.

Cons

Since all screens are minimalistic, they all look the same at a first glance, perhaps some color or header accents would be nice, also some sort of labelling for more customized filtering could come in handy. As a PM I think I am more picky about things like that than developers on my team though. Overall this is a good product.

Andréas H.
Company size: Self Employed

A guardian for your projects

Reviewed on 2020/03/15

Sentry is a my first alternative to finding bugs in software due to easy setup and usability.

Pros

Sentry is simple to use and gives a good overview of bugs and errors in projects. It will immediately alert you, which is important in time critical projects.

Cons

It is somewhat difficult to configure alerts and alert content to your custom needs. It will bloat your email inbox if you are many persons working on the same project.

Jesse D.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Keeps our developers informed about the errors

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

One of the best parts is the easy installation of the app, there is almost nothing to do and worked with every integration, front- and back-end. Also, the interface is easy to use.

Cons

Blocking of events that you don't want to measure is a bit harder as we thought it would be. Sometimes it happens that we reached the maximum limit, but after sending an email to support they did reset our rate limit.

Silvio B.
Industry: Computer Software

It is a good tool to monitor errors of your product

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

It is useful as I said, I use it daily to track errors in our product and most of the times it directs me successfully to the root of the problem.

Pros

It has a simple interface, groups errors together, keeps track of regressions. In a nutshell it is mature, robust and very helpful. Also accept some degree of customisations which is nice.

Cons

Way too expensive! Also sometimes loses some exceptions or errors.

Ciprian P.
Industry: Real Estate

A great tool for gathering JS errors from remote users

Reviewed on 2020/01/05

Sentry did half the work of the QA department.

Pros

Great, great, great! I have used this tool for a long time and it helped identify hundreds of errors and feed them to the QA department. A great tool for any Javasvcript-heavy website or web app.

Cons

Absolutely nothing, it helped a lot with user generated errors.

Xavier B.
Industry: Information Services

It made the development easier

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Pros

It makes my development easier allowing me to track all the errors

Cons

Its dificult to deploy your own instance of Sentry

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Stay ahead of system errors

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

We set sentry up for all the software we develop. It has helped us greatly to always know when an application crashes so that we begin working on fixes. We loved sentry because it's easy to setup and use. We set it up once and run for the software lifespan. It shows a lot of information in a non-overwhelming way

Pros

The interface is so easy to use, it's almost natural for me.
It sends notifications to my e-mail and often when I click view on sentry I don't need to re-login it just takes me where I need to go
Version Control integration which make it easier to resolve issues when making a commit

Cons

When an issues occurs multiple times I want to view breadcrumbs for multiple cases at once but this option isn't there and if an issue occurs thousands of times this is a challenge
I can seem to find resolved issues to review them for whatever reason, at least if resolved issues were accessible for some time this would be great, or if this is already there making it easy would be great

Industry: Computer Software

A must-have in our tool kit

Reviewed on 2018/03/24

Pros

Sentry has helped us track down countless, countless bugs in our platform before they could have been reported by our users. Thanks to their platform we are instantly made aware when someone has an issue on our API, dashboard, or one of our worker bots fails for an unforeseen reason.

Cons

Sometimes a bug occurs that impacts a lot of users / traffic. Especially if you use an API. This can in some cases prevent other errors in other projects from showing up. Simple fix, just don't get any errors ;)

Straightforward to set up and use, crystal clear documentation

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

Pros

We use Sentry for our website and app alert handling. They have excellent docs to get set up and integrated across a variety of languages, web, and app frameworks. Getting alerts piped into Slack and Pagerduty was super simple.

Cons

Small nit, but wish they made it easier to get full stacktraces from mixed environments, like React Native! Would be nice to get both native and JS traces in both iOS and Android.

Industry: Computer Software

Works brilliantly. Sentry focuses on one thing, that is just great.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Easily handling incoming issues and keep track of which problems are prevalent.

Pros

Very easy to capture issues for users, and extremely versatile in how to act on these. The biggest strength of Sentry is that it is so well designed for the downstream handling of issues. The ability to ignore issues until they hit a certain number of users as an example.

Cons

It's a bit hard to figure out how they group events. But I think it is also hard to simplify. And then you cannot turn off email notifications for re-opening issues. But it's minor things.

Industry: Automotive

Amzing exception tracking software

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Pros

The number of integrations and the ease of setup is great. Also the amount of data provided for exceptions is very extensive. Its very easy to get to the bottom of what the issue is.

Cons

It would be handy if there were more statistics available about error rate maybe via their API. Also sometimes its hard to set up functionality like release tracking and sourcemaps etc.

Fernando H.
Industry: Internet

Great error tracking service, essencial for any software application running 24/7.

Reviewed on 2017/12/15

Pros

In the Sentry dashboard, we can create and save custom filters that are helpful to use, mainly after a deployment in order to find any errors in our application. The integration is easy, with API clients available in many programming languages.

Cons

API clients don't support asynchronous communication, you need to implement it by yourself. Besides, it is possible define fingerprints to track issues, but it is not possible to filter the issues by fingerprints.

Industry: Higher Education

Great error reporting software

Reviewed on 2019/03/10

Sentry helps me to identify errors faster than I would be able to just by looking through the raw log files. Having everything all in one place makes it much easier to figure out whether an error is a global issue or just one person using an old browser.

Pros

Sentry is very easy to set up and has instructions for a ton of frameworks. The install and and set up only took a few hours and now everything just runs smoothly. There are a lot of options to keep your data secure through filtering as well as adding user context which makes tracking down issues much easier.

The free plan has been all that I have needed so far, but I could see the value in one of the paid plans if a project or team is large enough.

Cons

The documentation is great but needs a little work. I noticed at least one error in the example code when I was first installing it. I also have noticed a dependency throwing an exception all the time now which is a little annoying, but overall it's a pretty awesome tool.

Industry: Computer Software

Finding errors in code has never been easier.

Reviewed on 2017/10/06

Error debugging in production.

Pros

Great UI.
Simple SDKs and Integration.
Simple API.
Open source technology.
Extremely useful for debugging issues in production.

Cons

If you have a burst of events, it can become pricey. Other than that, the product is great and useful.

Fernando P.

Keep track of API and WebApp errors

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

Get notified and keep track to quickly solve all system errors

Pros

Automatically it can keep track of all the errors from your system and display very useful information such as user id, user e-mail and other error details that could help you to identify the root cause of the error and help your dev team to solve it quickly. Has a great integration with Slack so you can easily are notified of each error.

Cons

Sometimes seems to not show all the errors, looks like can skip some of It, so we cannot find information about some user that is complaining about an error.

Industry: Internet

Allows me to track errors and fix bugs before they are noticed!

Reviewed on 2018/08/07

Pros

The sentry plugins mean that I can easily integrate it into my software with a few lines of code, and then forget about it! Errors are sent automatically, and I'm emailed about any errors that come in. I've used sentry on all my projects for years, and it drastically improves the process of finding and fixing bugs. The notifications give me peace of mind that things are running smoothly.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to drill down into errors that happen many times, and the UI for managing teams and users is not always very intuitive!

Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Debugging is simple with sentry

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

Overall it is a very good tool if you want to work with very good code quality.

Pros

It is a must-have thing if you are a web developer. As it helps in tracking errors and helps in improving our code quality and performance. UI is very friendly and whenever there is any warning or error it sends you that over to your email.

Cons

Finding a negative point about this product is quite difficult. But one point I want to highlight that helps the user a very positive way is if the sentry errors can also tell about the parametric errors of function.

Viktors

Stress-free production deploys, detailed crash reports delivered straight to your Inbox

Reviewed on 2014/03/11

It's an absolutely fantastic tool I've installed on several websites I manage. Basically, you add a couple of lines to your Ruby (Sinatra in my case) or Node.js code, and when an exception happens, you're the first person to know about it.

Stack traces and complete environment (e.g. HTTP headers) are emailed to you, but the tool is smart enough to email only once for each unique type of error, so your inbox never gets flooded. You can also disable alerts for specific exception types.

Sentry integrates nicely with Pivotal Tracker, JIRA, Trello and many other tools, so you don't have to copy all the data about each error manually - the tool will do it for you.

Sentry supports JavaScript error reporting right from users' browsers, but last time I tried it I found that it can produce too many exceptions, in particular because error messages are often localized and Sentry doesn't detect that it's the same message, just translated into different languages.

The tool is smart enough to remove sensitive data (such as passwords) from error reports - and it allows configuring custom functions to sanitize data before it's sent to Sentry servers.

Pros

Free plan is usable for sites with few exceptions.

Cons

Some issues in Ruby client not closed for a long time (on GitHub).

Bontor S.

Easy and very helpful

Reviewed on 2017/07/27

I know what happened to my code when there are errors.

Pros

This software is very easy to use and implement and have complete features compare to the other same type product.

Cons

They don't provide mobile app, so I can't use this software on travelling or emergency situation when I need this.

Industry: Religious Institutions

A great tool to understand the health of your app

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

I am able to see specifics on the user, the crash, and a lot of other pertinent information that helps me create a more stable app.

Cons

We've had some issues with errors showing the source code, but I think the problem is on our end, not Sentry's.

Jamie H.

Great for catching errors

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

Pros

Many integrations with popular programming languages. Can host the open-source version locally if you want (but I recommend paying Sentry to manage it for you). Friendly interface.

Cons

You need to think about how this fits into your monitoring and reporting stack. Adding log analysis, metrics, tracing, error reporting...the list of tools gets long quickly and you need to prioritise which ones are important to you.