CANVAS

(3 945)

Kelly
Kelly
  • Used for 2+ years

CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!

Reviewed on 2020/06/30

CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

Pros

While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

Cons

The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

Kyle
Kyle
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

College on the Web

Reviewed on 2020/10/18

Canvas is an excellent learning tool for most colleges and universities. Not only does it allow for assignments to be turned in over the internet but it also allows students to take quizzes and attend lectures through ConferNow and Zoom. It will notify you through email for any work that is assigned, work that is due, etc. Although it can be a bit complicated to operate through compared to other programs such as Google Classroom, it has all the features you would need in order to run a class online especially during a pandemic.

Pros

With the rise of Coronavirus and online options for college classes, Canvas has been a staple tool for students taking online classes and even with online assignments. Canvas, similar to Google Classroom, is a program that allows teachers to assign work through the web instead of wasting time printing and wasting paper. It allows students to be notified of when assignments are due and even allows them to take quizzes and test online. With most of the world being forced to do everything digitally Canvas allows access to Zoom through ConferNow which allows for teachers to schedule lectures and meetings. Canvas also allows you to message other students if needed. Without Canvas, school online would be incredibly difficult, and although Google Classroom is a solid option for courses in elementary school through high school, Canvas has more features such as users being able to directly embed LTIs such as Flipgrid.

Cons

Although Canvas is better than Google Classroom in terms of the number of features, Google Classroom's interface is simpler and easier to understand than Canvas's. Google Classroom, being a Google program, also makes it slightly easier to turn in assignments using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. Canvas's user system can also use some work as well. Canvas may have the ability to allow you to see other students but it's obscure. There's no way to search for other people unless they're in your class and most people don't even know of the profile feature. Personally, I don't believe there are many problems with Canvas except that they should redo its design because to me it seems a bit bland and that they should make its interface a bit more simpler since it can be confusing to navigate through.

Samuel

Canvas was not a good fit for us. Training seemed to be lacking

Reviewed on 2023/11/14

The sales person was very nice and told us all the great things we'd be able to do with Canvas. I'm sure other districts can and are. It was simply not a good fit for us. We're not a large school, about 1900 students.

Near the end of our time with Canvas, it was nothing more than the teachers' Canvas pages with a link to their Google Classroom. It was an expensive bookmark.

Pros

The look of the program was good. The support attempted to help but seemed to lack the understanding that we needed to start from the beginning.
We had ONE teacher in the district familiar with Canvas from a previous school.

Cons

While customer support helped as much as possible, they didn't seem to understand that we had never used Canvas. The trainer they sent out started as if we already had years of knowledge of using the program. We didn't. The transfer of data from our SIS was a nightmare.

Google Classroom, Moodle and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

The superintendent insisted we use Canvas.
Juan Carlos
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Canvas Evolves

Reviewed on 2024/01/30

Great platform and product, undoubtedly one of the best to create presentations, projects, excellent interface and easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Canvas is an excellent tool for university, business or other management work to be done. It allows the information to cohere in an artistic way in its content.

Cons

I haven't had any failures or bad experiences yet, very useful, versatile and a great help for presentations.

Aristote

best learning and education software

Reviewed on 2023/11/21

personally my experience with canvas is rather positive due to its ability to organize tasks and its qualitative free version

Pros

the ease and simplicity of the software is one of the points that makes canvas one of the best learning software but also the qualitative and quantitative content that the software offers makes all the difference

Cons

the negative point of canvas and that we cannot see the previous affections once locked but also if you have an unstable connection you can be ejected from duty and negatively impacted upon your reconnection

Acuity Scheduling and Visio

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

I chose canvas rather than its alternatives because of its free version which is qualitative and its affordable price
Somenath
Somenath

My personal review after 2 years of using it.

Reviewed on 2024/01/14

Overall experience is good if you just ignore little chunks its very interesting and usefull product for everyone.

Pros

Its user friendly , Mobile accessible, Rich content management, Discuss feature and forums and regular updates and improvement.

Cons

I faces most of the time customization challenges and integration complexity and cost consideration.

Umut Can
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great platform for students and instructors

Reviewed on 2024/01/31

Pros

Easy to use, friendly interface, modern outlook

Cons

It was all good. No bad experience at all.

Nicole

Great option for our Trades Training Program

Reviewed on 2024/02/22

Pros

Ease of use for staff and students. It is intuitive and user-friendly.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Canvas has done everything we needed it to do.

Lucky
  • Industry: Import & Export
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Online Learning Made Simple!

Reviewed on 2024/03/07

Pros

I used it for about a month to learn about a new product at my company. It was easy to use and kept track of progress well.

Cons

The layout was pretty bad. Navigating didn't feel smooth.

Raquel
  • Industry: Accounting

Easy to understanding

Reviewed on 2024/04/01

Pros

very easy and useful, does what it proposes

Cons

works better on the website than on the app

Kennedy
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Canvas very efficient!

Reviewed on 2023/09/04

The platform is stable and extremely efficient suitable for busy professionals looking to study,,,enrol in a university with canvas

Pros

Its easy to learn and to use making the learning curve shorter

Cons

its not an aesthetically appealing hence can lead to a bit of formality

Juliette

A Good Software with Minor Complaints

Reviewed on 2021/08/29

Overall, Canvas is a good software. I've used Blackboard before as well, but it was outdated and had a more confusing interface than Canvas. Canvas makes it easy to see and download assignments. The two minor issues with the software are the inconvenient mobile view and the notification settings.

Pros

Canvas is useful because I can see all of my coursework on one platform that is simple to use. I can organize my courses on the home page as I like, and when I click on the course, I can see modules, assignments, and tests attached to the course. Documents load very easily on Canvas, and I like being able to "preview" documents posted before downloading them.

Cons

I have two complaints about the Canvas software. First of all, the mobile version does not work well. I never downloaded the Canvas app, but did try to go on the website on my phone. The text was so small and the menus on the left side of the screen did not load well, so I could never use my phone to get on Canvas without the app. My other complaint with the software is that whenever anything was graded for a course, even if it was an older assignment, I'd get a notification. Perhaps this is just the settings set by the instructor and not Canvas itself, however.

• Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Canvas - The Best Online Classroom A Student Can Ever Have!

Reviewed on 2022/02/17

Pros

What I love most about Canvas' software was how simple and easy it is to use. It is the one platform that I have used for six-to-seven years that has allowed me to feel connected to my fellow students and professors most even during classes that were strictly online. It has options like a calendar that automatically shows you all of your assignments on their due dates a weekly and monthly glances. It has neatly color-coded panels that allow you to divide up and access your courses easily. It even has a built-in grade book so students can manage their grades, estimate their overall course grade using the built-in grade estimation system so they aren't in the fark about their grades the whole semester. It even has a feature where students can email other students and teachers directly through Canvas and a system where students can record themselves saying their name so it won't be mispronounced! There are so many other tools to name and I love that so very much about Canvas. For its inexpensive price, accessibility, and variety of tools, I would wholeheartedly recommend Canvas to any school or teacher to use.

Cons

While it's hard to pick out something that I didn't like about Canvas, I would say that the test and assessment grading system could use some improvement. It's a challenge for students and teachers alike to enter numerical equations that require certain formats such as scientific notation, for example, and it would be wonderful if that could be improved for future use. Even so, Canvas still has a great grading system for other courses that do not require equations and such so I still very much recommend it to anyone.

Deepali

Canvas - A full range of online training apparatuses

Reviewed on 2022/04/04

Excellent

Excellent

Pros

1) Gives inward correspondence, not needing an external message or email framework.

2) Incorporates a file sharing structure for informative materials inside the framework.

3) Gives an evaluating stage that is distinguishable by students and instructors.

Cons

Record names used to be shortened - however that is fixed at this point.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

Canvas takes the better part of the Google Classroom and consolidates them to work pretty flawlessly - reviewing, tasks, participation, record/document sharing - all coordinated into one stage. Moreover, the interior correspondence include makes communication between the student and instructors simple to track and follow. That is an incredible expansion to the general bundle.

Google Classroom
Rochelle

Using Canvas in the Classroom

Reviewed on 2021/11/04

My overall experience with Canvas has been very positive. This platform has made my life so much easier as a busy instructor with seven or eight classes in a semester. Also, the platform makes it so easy to move from semester to semester with the copy feature. We do not have to recreate the will every semester. Our videos are there, along with handouts and tests. And, if we need to update a tests, it is easy to copy the updated tests to all of your classes.

Pros

My college has been using Canvas for the last several years. It is so instructor and student friendly. We are able to upload assignments, create videos, and grade with such ease. Also, students are able to navigate the platform very easily.

Cons

There are a couple of features that I think could be improved, and they are deleting old emails and sending emails to all of my classes. I wish that I could highlight all of the emails and delete in small batches. Also, it would be great to email several classes at one time.

Rachel

Canvas, a strong learning management platform

Reviewed on 2023/11/23

Pros

So far (8 years and about 40 courses) Canvas has been indestructible. I can access it anytime, from laptop or iphone. I use it for all my course management needs, including giving them feedback on their writing, interactive lessons, social annotation, and grading. It's been versatile and is fairly easy to learn. Support, when called upon, is prompt and helpful.

Cons

There are a few little glitches. Sometimes a grade doesn't "take" for one student on one assignment, and I have to go into the grades spreadsheet to add it. Occasionally it has trouble displaying one student in a class. I think this is related to their name format. But on the whole it's solid, and when it glitches, Support is available.

A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pros

Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.

Cons

Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

Sam
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

My favorite course management software

Reviewed on 2020/02/28

Overall I'm happy with Canvas. My students use Moodle in most of their other classes, but I'm still holding out... I just think it's a superior product.

Pros

My institution uses Moodle, which I have found to be extremely cumbersome. So a few years ago, I switched to the free-for-teachers version of Canvas, and have never looked back. My favorite specific feature of Canvas is the Speed-grader, which changed my life when I switched from Moodle. I also like the way the online quizzes work. More generally what I like about Canvas is the unified design. Where as open-source course management software feels like a hodgepodge of different options and designs Frankensteined together, Canvas feels like there is a design team actually thinking through the way it should look and operate. I appreciate the flexibility it gives me with regard to the layout of the home page, how I can control what the students see, etc. Also, over the six years that I have used Canvas, I've seen features get improved in response to user suggestions. Always a good thing.

Cons

Like all course management software, there are times when I feel that too much clicking is involved to accomplish basic tasks, or little things that should be possible are not. For example, when making rubrics for assignments, there is no way to shuffle the order of the categories. If you want to add a new line in the rubric between lines 2 and 3, you'd have to delete all the lines after 2 and start over from there. Little things like that, which aren't a huge deal, but sometimes do leave me scratching my head. Also I wish the question banks for quizzes were a little easier to manage.

Pablo

Build for teachers

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it.
That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares.
Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pros

1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework.
2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully.
3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good.
4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Cons

1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing.
2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue.
3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work.
4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.

Lorraine

Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All

Reviewed on 2021/05/03

Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners.

For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pros

When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar feature which allows students to track and plan for assignments empowers learners.

Canvas was ahead of the curve when it comes to individual feedback. Their voice or video comment feature has been personalizing the virtual classroom for years. Canvas is great for Professional Develpment especially with the discussion feature. Learners can respond to and interact with one another asynchronously and this authentic interaction benefits students and teachers alike.

Cons

There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner.

Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

Maritza
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Design Your Dream Course on Canvas

Reviewed on 2022/01/14

Designing online course content has been easier with the use of Canvas. It has made teaching in an online setting much more rewarding as I am able to focus more on students and their learning instead of spending time trying to figure out how to use software.

Pros

The intuitive design features and ease of use are great! You can create a great course in a short amount of time and you can share courses with colleagues for this purpose, too! If you're new to online course design, Canvas is definitely the platform to use. It also has design features for more advanced users that let you customize your content even further. There's definitely something for everyone here - whether your a new online content creator or well-versed.

Cons

If I had to pick one thing it would be the actual process of integration of external software. While I love that I can integrate external software, the process is multi-step and counterintuitive. You have to secure permissions (product key or registration number externally) and separately add/activate the software in the settings feature for the course (for EACH course), and a few other steps when you actually want to use the external program in Canvas for an assignment. It does require a bit of setup and patience. The good thing is that once you do it, you're set for the term.

Kenyon
Kenyon
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Empowering Learning with a Cutting-Edge Platform

Reviewed on 2023/04/17

One of the standout features of Canvas is its robust grading and feedback system. I can easily create rubrics, provide feedback on assignments, and grade student work with speed and accuracy. The platform also offers plagiarism detection tools, which help me ensure academic integrity in my assessments.Another aspect of Canvas that I find immensely valuable is its analytics and reporting capabilities. The platform provides detailed insights into student performance, engagement, and participation, allowing me to identify areas where students may need additional support and tailor my teaching accordingly.Canvas also offers seamless integration with other learning tools and services, making it a comprehensive and versatile platform. I can integrate third-party apps, such as Google Drive and Zoom, to enhance my teaching and provide a seamless learning experience for my students.Canvas by Instructure has been a game-changer in my teaching practice. Its user-friendly interface, customization options, communication features, robust grading and feedback system, analytics and reporting capabilities, integration with other learning tools, and exceptional support and training make it a top-notch learning management system. I highly recommend Canvas to educators who are looking for a cutting-edge platform to empower their teaching and enhance the learning experience for their students.

Pros

As an educator, I am always on the lookout for innovative and effective tools to enhance my teaching and make the learning experience more engaging for my students. I recently started using Canvas by Instructure, and I am thrilled to say that it has exceeded my expectations in every way.One of the things that has impressed me the most about Canvas is its user-friendly interface. Navigating through the platform is a breeze, and the intuitive design makes it easy for both teachers and students to find what they need quickly. The dashboard provides a comprehensive overview of all my courses, assignments, and announcements, allowing me to manage my classes efficiently and stay organized.The customization options in Canvas are outstanding. I can easily create and customize course modules, assignments, and quizzes to suit the unique needs of my students. The platform also offers a wide range of multimedia options, allowing me to incorporate videos, images, and interactive content into my lessons to make them more engaging and dynamic.The communication features in Canvas are top-notch. I can send announcements, messages, and notifications to my students, facilitating seamless communication and keeping them informed about important updates and deadlines. The discussion boards are also a fantastic tool for fostering collaborative learning and facilitating peer-to-peer interactions.

Cons

While Canvas is known for its user-friendly interface, some users, especially those who are less tech-savvy, may find it challenging to learn initially. It may take some time and effort to familiarize oneself with all the features and functionalities of the platform, especially for those who are new to learning management systems (LMS). Although Canvas has a mobile app, some users may find that the mobile version has limitations compared to the desktop version. Certain features, such as complex grading or content creation, may be more challenging or limited on mobile devices, which could impact the ability to manage courses effectively on the go.

Zechariah

Higher Education From A Students Perspective

Reviewed on 2023/06/01

As an enthusiastic client of Canvas, I should say that my general experience has been out and out amazing. The framework has made my internet learning venture eminent and smooth, permitting me to advance successfully and productively from anyplace.

Pros

I truly loved Canvas since overseeing programming, both on a PC and phone was a simple. Seeing my grades and remaining focused of my tasks was simple.

Cons

Despite the fact that Canvas offers specific capacities for joint effort, it can't replace the one-on-one connection that happens in a regular study hall. It can affect inspiration and commitment when I feel far or alone from my understudies' teachers and individual students.While Material can connect for certain projects, it doesn't with each of the projects that understudies concentrating on computer programming use. Accordingly, the work process might become wasteful on the grounds that understudies might need to change between a few stages to take care of their responsibilities

Brittany

This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career.

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros

Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons

There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful if the reply comments could be in a file with the original comment of the discussion board. In one class, we have weekly discussions and the students of that subjects has to write a powerpoint to explain a character that defines it and the student who did not create that has to write comments for it. At first it was not much but later became very hard to locate the different power point comments due to the immense amount of reply comments.

Eduardo

Canvas Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

Overall, using Canvas both as a user and as a tester within a development environment has been a pleasure. I would recommend any educational institutions or organizations that aren't using it to make the switch. It is a great tool.

Pros

This software is great for keeping courses all in one place and adds easy communication between instructors and students. As well as communication between students themselves is easy and straightforward. Being able to have quizes, assignments, and anything else from the course on Canvas makes it neat and organized. Also, the customization within the app makes it great for unique use cases.

Cons

Recently I was having an issue with a footer banner when testing in "student view". The banner sits on top of some of the navigation buttons from the left side and therefore hides them. I used to be able to double click on it to hide the banner, but a recent update makes it so that additional steps have to be taken to hide this banner. It has made it inconvenient to click on the button that I need to access from the navigation bar.