1 961 reviews

CANVAS

#1 Learning Management System for Educational Institutions

4,5 /5 (1961 reviews) Write a Review!

1 961 reviews
Anushreya G.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Canvas Review

Reviewed on 2021/02/14

Useful to have all courses at one place. Lot of different file types accepted/available. Course ordering should be reverse-chronological with latest courses on top.

Pros

It is very easy to use. I have all my courses listed in one place. Moving through all options within a course is simple.

Cons

For instructors, files and assignment uploads are missed as they need to be posted AND published separately. Courses are available in chronological order with latest courses being at the bottom. To access current courses, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom and this is not an adjustable feature.

Gaurav S.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great LMS for any kind of team

Reviewed on 2020/12/26

Perfect. I loved using it.

Pros

I worked for ASU online and worked at all the levels for Canvas as a user or developer. I loved the myriad number of features along with the ease of use.

Cons

Sometimes it creates issues while attaching video files to the assignments. I guess external file uploaing can be made more intuitive.

Jan K.

Great for E-Learning/Teaching

Reviewed on 2020/12/30

I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the term, setting up assignments and modules with due dates. Once that is done, Canvas takes over, notifying students when things are due. Sometimes I forget to make the assignments public and students will tell me that I haven’t published a particular assignment. I think it just takes some time to get used to all the quirks of the program, but once that is figured out, it makes daily organization so much easier. I also found that students were able to use Google Docs so that I could comment on papers as I was grading them. I can use Canvas on my iPad, but it’s not as easy as the computer. When I am doing serious course planning, I have to use the computer.

Pros

On my class homepage, I choose an image that visually identifies what the course is about. It personalizes my course and makes it easy to find (I usually have 3 to 4 classes per term). Canvas helps me organize my classes with the “module” tab that connects with the assignments and other pages I create for students to use —all into one place. I can easily add links to YouTube or Vimeo; upload photos; link to sources such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art Timeline. Hyperlinking is easy. I have used peer review and discussion boards for student interaction. The assignment box allows me to make an assignment available well before it’s due, and also choose a date to close the assignment. A rubric can be created that makes grading faster. I used the quiz template this year for both midterm and finals and that worked really well. I had a student who was 4 time zones away, and Canvas has the ability to allow me to open that one assignment longer, which was a way for that student to take the exam at 8am instead of 4am.

Cons

I haven’t figured out an easy way to use the peer review so that I can grade the student who is writing the peer review, as it appears on the page of the student being reviewed. I end up opening canvas in several windows, and it gets confusing with big classes. I eventually just gave a checkmark that the review was done, and didn’t worry so much about what the student wrote. Another issue that I’ve worked around is that students don’t do assignments on time if they rely on the due date to appear on their own Canvas page. I now title the assignment with the date so that students can see ahead of time when something is due.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to use...only if you know what you're doing

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

The best thing a new Canvas user could do would be to attend training FIRST. Do NOT just jump in like I did and assume that because you're tech savvy you'll figure it out quickly. It took me weeks and weeks when I first started using it to build my class. Lots of trial and error and calling the IT department. I should have just saved myself some time and gone to training! But I didn't have the time so I winged it. Ugh. On the whole though, once you learn how to use it, it's not bad at all. And it gets easier with time. And again, it's 10x better than Moodle! Also, there is a Canvas "Commons" where you can look at other Canvas courses that other instructors have put together so you can get an idea of techniques you might use. But, you still might need to do a training session with IT to figure out how to replicate the cool graphics that others are using! Again, it's not intuitive, and there is not a lot of online help available. But on the whole, Canvas is the best thing out there right now.

Pros

I've been using Canvas as an instructor at a university for the past 7+ years. The best thing about Canvas is that it's better organized than Moodle, which I've also used. I encountered Canvas when I came to work at my university. Before I started my job I was only familiar with Moodle, which I thought was an awful ed-tech application. I found Canvas to have a better interface, and was easier to navigate as a user. As an instructor, there are all kinds of features that you can use to set up a class, foster engagement, track student progress and assess completion of assignments. You can set up discussions, assign students to groups and even enable them to meet virtually. Canvas also works well for asynchronous learning in that you can create a course that is self-paced and students can step through each assignment on their own time.

Cons

The biggest challenge with Canvas is that it's not easy to use, unless you've been trained and know what you're doing. I had to learn Canvas completely on my own and it was a bit of a nightmare, even for someone like me who is very comfortable with technology. It's not entirely intuitive, especially when you're building a course from scratch. It's basically a website and you have to learn how to link pages, websites, documents, etc. You don't need to know how to code or use HTML, but it's still very painstaking to set up a class, even if you copy a previous class from year to year and just need to update it. The grading feature was also "updated" and it's more annoying now and less easy to use. The one big drawback though is the interface in that it's not all that graphical. You have to learn work arounds to make the interface more appealing to students. It's still better than Moodle! But still, it would be great if they could make it more like a real graphical website and less like a Word document on a website.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day.

One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind.

One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Cons

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Joshua C.

A Revolutionary Aid to Learning

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Pros

I have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed the game. It's become an intrinsic part of my routine to check canvas everyday. You can also customize what alerts you want to see, so if your instructor gives you feedback or sends an alert out you can get an email straight away.

The app is also fantastic and very convenient!

If you're an instructor and you don't use canvas, I worry that I won't be able to see important changes in time. Plus, feedback is relegated to the old fashioned, penciled in way of the early 2000s. We're better than that now, in no small part due to Canvas, which has genuinely revolutionized the medium learning takes.

Cons

There was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly!

Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.

Debra W.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Canvas User

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Overall wonderful product! I will be upgrading to the pro/paid version very soon myself.

Pros

I have my own business in addition to a full-time Revenue Cycle Manager position with a large company. I am very happy to have discovered Canvas. I started out with what can be done for free online, having not a lot of money to spend as a start up.

I could not have been more pleased! They have so many templates and specifics that you can create. From business cards to posters to flyers. They have great options within the free (something that you do not always see) for font types and size and colors to choose from.

Cons

The one thing that I had trouble with, to this day is how to create without a template. For example, If I want a plain background and add simple text. You cannot do it (that I have seen) without using something that doesn't fit for what you are doing and working with it to create. For example, I would have to choose a poster or business card but tweek to what I wanted. I have seen other software, that let you start from scratch to make what you want without a defined template. It would be great if Canvas would do that too.

Jason H.

Canvas - An Admin's Dream Come True

Reviewed on 2016/11/03

As the Learning Management System Admin for Utah Valley University, managing the use of Canvas can be challenging, but in a really good way. Whenever I run into a problem, I can usually find the answer and deploy a solution very quickly. Instructure provides a dedicated Customer Success Manager who meets with us regularly, a robust case management system, and an extremely helpful community engagement platform. Canvas is updated regularly to stay fresh on new technologies, features, and bug fixes. It's really fun to manage this system and have so much buy-in from faculty. Canvas is also on the leading edge with 3rd party integrations, data analytics, and cross-platform compatibility.

Pros

Canvas is always available. Teachers and students rarely suffer from any down time, if ever. Even with the regular updates of the platform (every 3 weeks), there is no significant downtime. The integration with our Student Information System is really good, but will soon be even better.

Cons

I wish Instructure would value the opinions of an institution's Canvas Admin over instructors. Instructors tend to not stay up to speed with an institution's policies, new government regulation, or plain common sense in some cases. There are a few specific tools that would make an admin's life much easier... like this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7301

Peter S.

Excellent LMS for General Courses

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

CANVAS is feature rich and expandable. It works great with non-IT courses.

Pros

Canvas is more intuitive than the open source options and less expensive than their larger competitors.

Cons

The price. CANVAS is an expensive LMS. It's typically un-affordable for a small independent school, but works great for a larger university.

Kush M.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great GUI, nice course introduction, but no start-guide

Reviewed on 2020/03/28

I am happy to use it. The App is a plus which sends out push-notifications whenever a new homework or grade is posted.

Pros

From Additional Info to Resource to Files it has everything, the professors sends out assignments, labs, and stuff and we can go and download/view directly from the browser.
I also like the as-if grade, which will evaluate my grade on any marks I fill in ( which is obviously not the correct grade) but it shows me how much I need to get on my next assignment to get the grade I am achieving.

Cons

It has files, assignments, and announcements and allows to attach image/files everywhere.
Also, I think it should provide professors and students who are first time users with a usage guide.
One of my profs sends slides and Homeworks on announcements because he is not friendly with how to create assignments and it's frustrating.

Paul Q.

Currently the Best LMS on the market

Reviewed on 2021/02/22

First as a student I was able to find everything I needed and the courses were nicely self-contained

As and Admin the interface is easy to work with and I always feel confident when I click on the support button that either the issue will be solved during the chat or elevated to someone who will address it quickly

We use an integration to further improve the user interface making it clearer and cleaner to use. While this doesn't work on mobile we've been able to make it work by structuring the course navigation

Pros

It does almost everything natively, and if it doesn't there's likely an integration that can fill in the gaps.

Mostly intuitive for students and most faculty

Cons

The mobile apps (especially for iPadOS) is not a good experience, it's functional for somethings, but only about 50% of our students use it, and the others prefer not to use it.

Neal D.

The best software to check grades and assignments

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

I can check my grades easily. I can also see what is due with the calendar option and plan out my week. I love how you can view all your classes and see your previous classes. I can look and download my teachers syllabus multiple times (because we students always delete that). I can also test my grades to see what the lowest grade I can obtain to keep my desired grade(A):)

Pros

Love this software so much. I can see all my classes that I am currently taking and have taken already. The calendar view lets you know which assignments are coming up and when they are due. You can click on a class page and information will be provided to you as organized by the teacher. I always look at handouts and in class presentation PowerPoints. The teacher can also make quizzes online and timed/ un-timed. You can see how you are doing in the class and calculate your predicted grade easily. I love how I can see what the lowest grade I can get from an assignment to obtain a desired letter grade.

Cons

There is a learning curve with this software. Sometimes when I look up my school's canvas it takes me to a broken canvas login screen. Teachers often complain how they are limited to how they can customize their canvas page. Each teacher also does their canvas page slightly different so it takes some getting used to.

Christopher H.

Commuter College Student

Reviewed on 2020/02/12

My overall experience with Canvas is positive. It creates a platform that allows students, educators, and peers to be more connected even in an area like a commuter college where students do not live near each other.

Pros

Canvas allows for educators to stay in touch with their students. Assignments can be posted to Canvas and full classes can be held online. I go to a commuter campus and I have a mix of both online and in-person classes. Canvas is a platform where educators can post discussions, assignments, lessons. Through Canvas a student can track their performance. Canvas also functions as a communication platform between students, educators, and peers. This software not only functions online but it is also available in apps and can be connected to email so the user never misses information.

Cons

Older professors tend to not utilize the software and when they do it isn't quite as user-friendly regarding everyone using it. People that have difficulty utilizing technology have trouble utilizing this software. More Universities are requiring that professors are familiar with this or similar software. Another Con would be that if the server is down it prevents students from fulfilling required tasks.

Customizable Automation for education

Reviewed on 2019/03/03

The student and teacher relationship is strengthened and there is less barriers to seek assistance, improving student performance and teacher morale with less time grading things that have the capability of being automated. This allows for professors to spend more time helping their students versus doing "busy work".

Pros

Students and teachers can communicate with in Canvas. There is even an option to set in the login page for your institution to show your institutions logo and branding. Multiple choice quizzes can be assigned and tests and be graded automatically to allow the teachers to spend more time with student interaction instead of grading multiple choice exams. Students have expressed delight in the feature of chatting or giving feedback with their professor or classmates for a specific assignment. The easy partnering with Turnitin to check for plagiarism and integration of Pearson and McGraw-Hill makes it possible to cover bases within just Canvas.

Cons

Customer service can be slow to respond. There should be more options for the teachers to write personal notes on assignments that can be chosen to view for just the teacher, or shared with the teacher and student. The mobile app has complaints of not being very smooth.

• Industry: Maritime
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Online Schooling Has Never Been Easier!

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Bragging an advanced interface, local web facilitating, and broad third-party integrative, Canvas is the most excellent instructive learning administration framework on the advertise nowadays.

Pros

The Canvas LMS lets understudies share work not too far off on the stage. This is excellent for distant meetings. Additionally, Canvas sends notifications about impending activities, tasks, input, and questions. I will forever be grateful for this feature, as someone who is quite absentminded and disorganized. Fortunately, the course data is basic to take after through and can be guided with minimal clicks. Overall, Canvas LMS provides me with comprehensive learning and instructing devices that can coordinated consistently with their existing frameworks.

Cons

Since Canvas has numerous highlights, it can be confounding for instructors to utilize and learn. Instructors will need to take the time to memorize how Canvas works so they can maintain a clear understanding of the software as to not confuse students. Again and again, there are issues transferring, exploring, and altering information. I wish Canvas had went through more time refining the client interface instead of tossing in so many highlights and customizations (which often proof to be clunky and downright unusable due to the aforementioned bugs, such as the web conferencing tools).

Morgan C.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Probably better than the alternatives, but could still use work

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

Overall, canvas offers a lot of options with a decent user interface. It's not amazing, but it's not terrible. It has a lot of functionality for users who aren't trying to do anything fancy like embed a video into their discussion post or message a classmate.

Pros

There are lots of tools available for both students and professors (both of which I have been). Students will appreciate the task list, the module layout, and the "what-if" option for checking how the overall grade would be affected by assignment grades. Teachers will appreciate the many ways to display class performance, the speedgrader, and the ease of leaving rubric feedback.

Cons

Communication is vital, especially in online classes. Canvas sometimes sends notifications and sometimes doesn't, it's very hit or miss as to whether or not professors will be notified that students have left them a note, or students will be notified of new posts to a discussion that they've subscribed to, or that anyone will be able to send a direct message without the painfully simplistic messaging system making it too hard.

Canvas review

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

My overall experience was above average, I would have said close to excellent as there is no other competitor I find equal to canvas but there are small things like I mentioned in the “what you didn’t like” section of this review. If they improved on that a lot more customers would be more satisfied. But it is an excellent app.

Pros

The canvas website is well developed as I feel the column separations for categories is efficiently divided, this makes finding things easy and fast. I have to open canvas multiple times a day and I like the fact that it does not lag when navigating, saves time and is reliable.

Cons

I have a small issue, in the calendars tab, when you see your daily tasks/assignments, it does not show me assignments that are discussion posts. This can be misleading as it can mean that there is no assignment due even if there is one due that day. To see assignments that are labelled as discussion posts I’ve to navigate way deep into the pages to get that info. If it was available on the main calendars tab that would save a lot of clicks.

Mike S.

Best tool for education

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

I have used a different software meant for organizing my classes and assignments but I was so glad when my school ditched that software and switched to Canvas. It is much more user friendly and easy on the eyes.
I am grateful for the many different features available to me as a student. It helps me to be more organized and on top of my education experience. I probably would have gotten worse grades without canvas, due to the assignment reminder alone.

Pros

The best features are the ease of use. I am able to easily view which classes I am enrolled in, I can see files uploaded by the professor, I can view assignments due and see my grades. I especially love how canvas alerts me about upcoming assignments to help keep me on task. I have a bad habit or forgetting to do assignments so that is an important feature to have.

Cons

There a multiple places to upload files and some professors upload things in weird places. That is more of their error, but if there was just one place to upload all the files (lectures!p, assignments... etc) then it wouldn’t be confusing between my different classes.

Tennisha R.

Great Flexibility in Instruction

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

Overall I find canvas to be user friendly and it encourages me to think outside of traditional teaching methods.

Pros

I love how canvas allows for some personality and flexibility. The features can be standard or you can explore ways to create a unique course platform. The addition of external apps and ease of integration is helpful. I also really appreciate the support you can get from experts or others who share similar issues when using canvas.

Cons

Using the software can be a rocky start and the platform looks intimidating, but a willingness to learn is useful.

Yousra R.

Makes school easy

Reviewed on 2020/05/15

I enjoy it and I look forward to continue using it for my studies!

Pros

Everything is laid out for the user. Class rooms are represented by boxes and colors which is easy to distinguish. Almost immediate feedback when grades are up and can set reminders

Cons

The calendar feature is pretty useless on the app because it is always confusing. It can also be annoying when I am about to finish a timed assignment.

Kalin H.

Great for Educational Institutions

Reviewed on 2020/06/09

I have found Canvas to be the best solution for course management during my time as a student. The software is complete and easy to use for both educators and students.

Pros

I used this software in college, and it allowed all of my professors to organize content and assignments into one place where students could easily access them. It also allowed me to take quizzes that my professors had posted. I have used multiple platforms during my college education, and I have found Canvas the easiest and most simple to use. I have also heard professors say that they too prefer Canvas over other solutions.

Cons

I did not have any complaints about this software during my time using it. It offered simple organization, communication between students and teachers, and easy ways to turn in assignments. It also has an app that allows students to access content on mobile platforms without using a browser with a poor layout as other platforms do.

Rahul R.

CANVAS Review(user/admin)

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

Both as a user and instructor,canvas has made life easier especially during the current online/hybrid class systems. Exams are easy to create and multiple choices can be automatically graded. All in all,Canvas is a pretty handy tool to have.

Pros

As a user,it is really easy to navigate through the courses,track progress,view lectures and post queries.
As an instructor,it is very easy to provide feed back to the assignments& tests,make announcements and post updates.
The automatic grading system is also pretty robust.

Cons

The grade center is a bit confusing as an instructor. Also while creating a test,there are multiple places where we have to/can make changes which is a bit annoying because we have to ensure that we have made the changes at all the places separately.

Jeff K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to use and great education community

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Our University recently switched to Canvas. Canvas has been much easier to use especially for online learning that our last system. It has helped us make our class is more robust and easier to use.

Pros

Canvas took very little time for me to learn and understand how to use an integrated into my courses. It is a very intuitive software. When we transitioned to Canvas the students found it very easy to learn, understand and use. Canvas makes it simple to organize all of your different materials for your classes in a way that seamless and easy for the students to find. In addition, the online support guides and community within canvas makes it even easier to find solutions to the problems that you're having. Canvas has built-in an online community where you can get answers to questions but also get new ideas from other people who are teaching similar courses.

Cons

I wish that canvas had more ways to customize the look and feel of your classes. In addition, there are times when Canvas has settings that are hard to find or some small features that are difficult to learn to use.

Ali M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Canvas Review

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

Overall, my experience has been fine. I definitely like it more so compared to other school software I have used.

Pros

Canvas is relatively easy to use and makes accessing class material simple. It is also well organized and facilitates communication well.

Cons

Not all administrators know how to use the app effectively. There could be more clarity and ease of use for first time users or maybe more instructions for them.

Ruben R.

Great product for class

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

excellent experience, great customer service but a bit hands offish. the software is quite intuitive but it can be a bit complicated depending on your knowledge level or the difficulty of the task you want to accomplish

Pros

I really like the updates that provide better and easier ways to accomplish the job

Cons

sometimes is hard to figure out where to find the correct menu when you are working on uploads