Schoology

LMS for teachers and school administrators

Deanna
Deanna
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Transforming the Digital Space

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

Schoology has enabled me to create a digital platform for my students to access whenever and however they need. Being a traveling teacher has its own unique set of obstacles, but Schoology has empowered me to bring my in-person style and flare to the digital space. I no longer feel as I am scatted around multiple classrooms. Each of my digital classrooms are organized in the same manner so there is a sense of structure to my instruction, just like a physical space would allow.

Pros

I love that I can use Schoology as a vehicle to personalization--personalization for student learning and personalization for my instruction. I am able to add/delete assignments for students. I can create assignments for specific groups of students. It is easier to use the same rubric for similar assignments because the rubric is already built and saved. I can deliver lessons in various methods. My instruction and assessment have become more transparent (and more fair!) for students due to these features.

Cons

The features that I most dislike about Schoology revolve around the integrations with Google Drive and TurnItIn. While I have long applauded the Google integration, I detest that the Google assignments (when submitted through this integration) are not time stamped. Also, my colleagues and I have found TurnItIn to be a bit more complicated than necessary to use. It is not intuitive, and rather difficult to explain to students. I often end up not using it.

Tara

Virtual Learning Experts

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

Schoology was chosen as our program for virtual learning from home during the COVID pandemic. As a teacher, I was overwhelmed at first, but caught on quickly. Now, I use Schoology to upload lessons, create tests and quizzes, and even upload YouTube read-alouds for student viewing. It has been a vital resource to allow me to connect with my students.

Pros

Schoology seems overwhelming at first, but is pretty easy to catch on to once you start to upload material. There are plenty of user guides and how-to tips available on their website to help out as well. Schoology allows me to teach lessons virtually to my students during the pandemic.

Cons

It is a little more complicated to upload some things such as google forms to the site.

Kristin
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Overly complicated, not intuitive, fails to account for what parent and student users need most

Reviewed on 2021/12/21

I hated Schoology at St. Isidore and then when my kids went to high school and they purchased this product, I was dumbfounded as to why the administration wanted it. All the parents are confused.
When the App shows me it has new messages/alerts, I open the app, and nothing in the app tells me what is the alert - no "unread" messages, I have NO Idea where to go, so I have to go fishing for it. I don't know what else the product does, but it fails miserably at meeting the key needs of my two children and my needs to oversee how they are doing. My children also do not like this product. They have even been using it for 3+ years. They are in high school now.

Pros

Nothing. Don't know why the administration purchased it. It was not worth the money. Most parents we know can't find anything in there and need multiple trainings.

Cons

Too many features, too many folders, trying to find anything on there is like looking for a needle in a haystack. iI is not intuitive at all - this company needs some apple developers on their staff. Fails to facilitate the most common uses for parents and students, with a focus on easy grade reporting and ease of accessing current assignments and the instructions from the teacher. I can't find anything in here. No parents I know like this software.

Clint
Clint

Facebook for Schools

Reviewed on 2023/11/30

Overall I had a great experience with Schoology.

Overall I had a great experience with Schoology.

Pros

The newsfeed and the ability to integrate other tools into classes is hugely beneficial.

Cons

Sometimes the grading didn't work quite right and could be difficult to set up correctly.

Angela

Versatile Learning Management System

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

Overall, the application has made it beneficial in that all educational needs are in one place; assessments, assignments, grades, messaging

Pros

This software had been instrumental in making learning available both in the classroom and at-home learning for students that are out for any reason.

Cons

It is time consuming to post Google Applications in all of the classes. You can post the assignment but you have to go into each class and attach the document.

Mayowa
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Schoology: Old looking, but Function-able. 6.75/10

Reviewed on 2022/12/07

Too keep it short and simple, it is a solid at what it does and there functionally. The interface just doesn’t match.

Pros

I liked the functionality and how many features it has. There’s a lot to do with Schoology, but at first glance or as a beginner user. After getting more acquitted to the software, it becomes more easier and you realize how many functionality and features it has.

Cons

The main problem I have been stating is the fact that the interface and looks is very old and boring. This can reduce users engagement and want to learn as much of the functionality works, the interface isn’t up to par.

Yevstakhii

My expirience of use Schoology

Reviewed on 2023/05/28

Schoology provides robust course management features that allow me to effectively organize my courses and deliver content. I appreciate the ability to structure and organize course materials, upload resources, create assignments, and manage assessments within the platform. This streamlines the teaching process and helps create a well-structured learning environment.Schoology offers a range of collaboration and communication tools that facilitate interaction between teachers and students. I can engage in discussions, share resources, submit assignments, and provide feedback within the platform. These tools enhance communication and foster a sense of community among users.Assessment and grading capabilities: Schoology provides features for creating and administering assessments, quizzes, and assignments. I can create various question types, set grading criteria, and provide timely feedback to students. The platform's grading capabilities simplify the assessment process and enable educators to track student progress effectively.Here are some aspects that some I have found less favorable: сustomization limitations, assignment and grading complexity, limited reporting and analytics.

Pros

1. Course management and organization: Schoology offers robust course management features that allow me to create and organize my courses effectively. I can easily structure my content, upload resources, create assignments, and manage assessments within the platform. The ability to organize materials and activities in a logical and structured manner helps me deliver a streamlined learning experience.2. Collaboration and communication: Schoology provides a range of collaboration and communication tools that facilitate interaction between teachers and students. I can engage in discussions, share resources, submit assignments, and provide feedback within the platform. The integration of communication tools, such as messaging and announcements, enhances real-time communication and fosters a sense of community among users.3. Assessment and grading: Schoology offers features for creating and administering assessments, quizzes, and assignments. I can create various question types, set grading criteria, and provide timely feedback to students. The ability to track student progress, generate reports, and manage grades efficiently simplifies the assessment and grading process.

Cons

1. Assignment and grading complexity: While Schoology offers assessment and grading tools, I have found the assignment setup and grading process to be cumbersome or time-consuming, particularly when dealing with large class sizes or complex grading criteria. I have challenges in managing and organizing assignments, providing detailed feedback, and efficiently grading student submissions.2. Limited reporting and analytics: I have mentioned that Schoology's reporting and analytics capabilities could be more robust. I have a desire for more advanced reporting features that provide deeper insights into student performance, engagement, or progress. While Schoology offers basic reporting options, I may find them insufficient for their specific data analysis needs.

Ahmet Fatih
Ahmet Fatih

A bit outdated maybe?

Reviewed on 2022/10/31

Had been much better at times, but better options make you deter and google for Google stuff.

Pros

My personal experience with this program is two fold. I experienced it as a master student and I also use it for my students. The thing is what you would expect from an LMS is obvious and Schoology has done it for a long time now. However, it is also obvious that it should be improved in terms of UI experience and assignment tracking.

Cons

Assignment tracking is a matter needing a solid solution. Even after they are due the students keep seeing the assignment as an upcoming one. Maybe a small glitch but annoying if you are to be motivated with your achievements as a student.

Rita

Schoology — for Teacher and student needs

Reviewed on 2023/05/08

Schoology is and was a Great asset to have for assigning and maintaining assignments. Several improvements have been made but it could use an overhaul of some features such as messaging. It is slow and does not keep students’ messages by class. I would not want to miss it

Pros

Schoology is a one stop Learning Platform integrating everything from assignments to self grading quizzes and tests. Sequencing and dating materials is a great return to have.

Cons

Cumbersome at the beginning (for non-users of free version) as we had to learn quickly yo get used to the platform.

Kristen

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 2023/08/11

Schoology made my life easier as a busy teacher with a split job of teaching Spanish and EL. I could easily see my Spanish students’ progress and didn’t have to worry about trying to add scores to PowerSchool since it automatically synced. I could also see every class my EL students had and could see what they needed to complete or needed extra support with.

Pros

I loved being able to assign and see student progress. We also had the option of deciding what needed to be teacher graded. My favorite feature of all was that it automatically integrated and synced with PowerSchool.

Cons

It took some time to get used to adding standards and just using it, but after that I don’t feel like there was anything negative.

Crystal

BEST LMS experience for teachers, students, admin and community!

Reviewed on 2017/02/03

Moodle. Blackboard. Edmodo. Google Classroom. Each year of teaching seemed to bring with it another piecemeal LMS until we found Schoology! Schoology allows our teachers, students, admin and community to stay informed and connected. As a teacher, Schoology was easy to figure out due to its intuitive platform. I love the various features and app integrations that allow students to do much of their online learning within the platform avoiding third party site visits and lots of extra clicking. As an Enterprise user, I also appreciate the SIS integration with PowerSchool that automatically transfers student grades from Schoology. The group feature allows me to easily send updates about One-Act and Speech practice schedules or leave time reminders that can be routed to students' phones, and the groups also provide excellent PLNs for various topics. Admins have begun harnessing the power of online professional development modules via Schoology as well. Students enjoy the calendar view, which we have taught them to use like a planner and appreciate the quick feedback from assessments. Parents enjoy more transparency about what is going on at school and the media albums work great for capturing all of the awesome learning that needs to be recognized and celebrated. As a BlendEd Learning leader, Schoology is integral to day to day planning and organization.

I also appreciate that Schoology is very responsive to user issues and requests. Their Client Success team is there to answer questions and trouble shoot when you need them, and the product developers are always taking suggestions and creating new features to make the platform more user friendly for teachers and students.

Unlike previous platforms, Schoology is my one-stop shop that is here to stay! After four years of use, I couldn't imagine teaching without it!

Pros

-Ease of use
-Groups provide online PLNs
-Supportive client services
-Excellent BlendEd Platform
-Can align with CC or state standards
-Allows for competency-based grading (Mastery via Enterprise)
-Parent log in options (one log in for all of their kids)
-App works well on Mac and Android devices

Cons

-Can't create reoccurring events or assignments (yet)
-PowerSchool Pro and Schoology integration in beta only (Enterprise)

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Schoology is a great way to engage students!

Reviewed on 2020/07/26

Overall Schoology was a great way to engage students and assess their learning in a more interactive and interesting way. The student's seemed to like it better than using just books so it was more engaging for them.

Pros

Before I transitioned out of teaching, I used Schoology quite a bit as a teacher. Schoology made it easy and convenient to engage students in the classroom. You could post informational resources for them such as notes and websites, or create more interactive lessons with embedded youTube or other videos and they can be set up so students can do scavenger hunt type things on the computer. They also can be used for assessments to see if students learned the material they were supposed to, as an exit ticket, or a way to review information at home. These assessments could then be loaded directly into e-school for student grades.

Cons

One thing I found difficult was sometimes setting up answers to questions especially if I wanted a more free response type of question, although they do offer ways to grade on a rubric as well. Sadly in the day and age of inflating grades there was also no way to grade on a curve, which meant that even though grades could be directly loaded into e-school, administrators desired you to then have to go back into e-school to inflate student grades. All in all they seemed to be keen to adding new features that made things easier for teachers. They also had two different kinds of assessments, one of which I found not nearly as friendly as the other to use.

Ann
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Schoology is central to our successful 1:1 blended learning classrooms providing digital...

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

The software is central to our curriculum delivery in our 1:1 blended learning classrooms. It is a core app that we use daily and streamlines communication, assessment, and assignments.

Pros

Schoology is intuitive for both teachers and students. I love that Schoology is specifically designed for K-12 and has a simple interface for primary students. Schoology provides students one place to access curriculum content, collaborate with peers, and receive immediate feedback from assessments. Our teachers leverage several features in Schoology including grading groups and completion rules. Teachers can privately differentiate curriculum materials to individual students or groups with just a click using grading groups. Teachers can also design lessons that utilize completion rules which forces students to complete on activity with a certain degree of accuracy before moving on to the next activity. Teachers can also provide students feedback in a variety of formats which can include audio, video, drawings or written. The feedback is available to students as soon as it is graded. In addition to courses, Schoology also has a group feature which is one place for teachers to share curriculum materials with one another. The content in the group is shared with just a click to any course. This makes it very easy to move materials from teachers to students without the need to download or upload files, creating a smooth digital workflow.

Cons

None. The Schoology team is responsive to feedback and the team is constantly striving to make improvements.

Julie

Life Changing

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

It has streamlined my classroom:
Assignments are in schoology, collected in schoology, graded in...

It has streamlined my classroom:
Assignments are in schoology, collected in schoology, graded in schoology, I used it to flip my classroom and organize what students do and when.
It has streamlined the work that I do to get ready for class:
I can easily collaborate with the teachers I work with, I can set up one class and copy to others, It helps me keep track of where my students are and what they are achieving.
I teach my students how to use the program to get more out of their own learning:
They can check on their level of mastery, rework old assignments and quizzes (when I let them), they can check their progress, see what is coming, and know what is expected of them just by opening the course.
3 years after beginning to use it, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Pros

I haven't collected a piece of paper in 3 years. It grades many things for me and I can get feedback on how my students are doing. I continue to have access to everything in a course even after it has ended. Schoology is incredibly helpful in fixing problems, and asking for feedback. It merges seamlessly with my school's grade book program. It has allowed me to turn my traditional classroom into a flipped-mastery classroom that use standards based grading. Differentiating instruction and assignments is easy with this program.

Cons

There are still things I wish it could do that it can't... yet. They are still working on those things.

Glen

Fantastic, game-changing LMS

Reviewed on 2017/05/16

Schoology has transformed my teaching! I have been teaching for almost 18 years and I knew that I was basically teaching to the middle group of my students. I was not differentiating for the various learners in my class. The tools available in Schoology helped me to move my teaching from lecture based to a blended classroom approach. I now train teachers on a daily basis to transform their teaching using Schoology. The Schoology community is one of the most active, supportive groups I have ever encountered.

Pros

Schoology is an easy to use LMS initially as a teacher and student. The best part is that there are so many added features and an amazing supportive community to help you customize and develop your courses even further. The customer service for Schoology is fantastic and the professional learning community in Schoology Educators is active and very helpful to anyone from a beginner to an advanced user. We did a side by side comparison between Schoology - Edmodo - Canvas and Google Classroom and our teachers and students completely supported our adoption of Schoology!

Cons

Some missing features include the ability to lock an entire folder and the ability to navigate quiz/tests more easily.

Schoology Review from Admin Side

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

I would recommend Schoology for teachers that have a good understanding of technology. The price is a bit much but it does a lot if the teachers are willing to spend the time on it.

Pros

Schoology is a very good LMS and is very versatile. I allows my teaching staff to communicate with their students on a regular basis. It also helps my teachers with parent communication. The program is also nice for students that have been absent or that are going to miss school for sports or a vacation.

Cons

The cross over from our SMS to this program is not always smooth and is a bit frustrating at times.

Google Classroom
Danielle

Great for older learners

Reviewed on 2023/01/19

Overall, my experience is good! I’ve been pleased with it.

Overall, my experience is good! I’ve been pleased with it.

Pros

I love being able to have quizzes or tests self-correct. I also like being able to link my grad book (PowerSchool) and having a centralized place for my students to view and work on assignments.

Cons

It is not the most user friendly software. I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, and it took me a bit to understand each part. I teach elementary school, and some of my students still do not quite understand how to use the software. There’s a lot to it.

Cathie

Your Classroom Experience Will Change with Schoology

Reviewed on 2015/12/30

Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. Schoology is COPPA compliant and has signed the Student Privacy Pledge. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions.

I was using another popular LMS but found that my students treated it like Facebook. When I switched to Schoology I found that the interface and the assignment feed are easier to manage and sort through. Students treat Schoology as a course and not another form of social media. They respond appropriately and use it as a resource for their learning. Building on-line quizzes take time, but students respond well to receiving the instant feedback. Aa a teacher, I find the assignment feature and uploading from Google Drive seamless. I've been able to leave feedback and not feel overwhelmed reading 100 essays submitted in Schoology. The hardest feature of Schoology is learning and discovering all of the bells and whistles it offers. I would recommend using Schoology with a team of teachers or a colleague. It's much easier to bounce ideas off of each other as you tinker with its features. Once you maneuver through the first weeks of Schoology you won't turn back. I left everything I created on my old LMS and have had no regrets. Schoology is ideal if your looking to go paperless as well.

It works, but better options out there.

Reviewed on 2021/05/19

Overall, it was fairly frustrating. It is ok. I can share links and things but seemed to not hit the bar in very basic features like social discussions in a class, turning in assignments, and giving feedback.

Pros

I like that we can set up folders and organize our course how we would like. I work with upper elementary so it worked fairly well, but definitely had a learning curve. Announcements were pretty easy to post. I also liked students messaging in schoology, they found this feature easy to use. I like that I also got an email when they messaged.

Cons

As a specialist teacher, it was confusing whether to work with the classroom teacher or have our own Schoology accounts. When giving feedback on assignments, students could never find it, they didn't get notifications. Students also struggled with how to turn in assignments and would do it differently. You could connect google docs and things, but was super confusing and students also didn't do this correctly. It also does not look modern, there are so many other platforms that look nicer and more kid-friendly. In addition, I like students to share photos and videos with one another and the social discussions/sharing piece was definitely lacking. we liked flipgrid but was not easily incorporated within schoology.

Brittany
Brittany

Schoology Success!

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

At first, I will admit, I struggled using Schoology and I am pretty tech-savvy. After spending some time diving into it, I found it is pretty user-friendly, easily accessible by both students and parents, and a great way to present documents, stations for classes, and assignments. I loved being able create groups for stations and color coding each one. Made it simple for my younger students.

Pros

Schoology is a platform that has features perfect for a middle/high school classroom setting. It allows the ability to have students access their assigned class and find documents needed throughout the year. It is simple and straightforward for students, allows administrators to create groups within the school for educators (ELA, 5th grade, etc.), and can be utilized by everyone.

Cons

It is not an aesthetically pleasing platform, with little to no design features, minus a picture and color coding the folders.

Danielle

Excellent LMS for Middle School

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

I enjoy using Schoology to provide resources for my students to use both in the classroom and outside. It is fairly easy to use, but can sometimes be time-consuming. The integration with G Suite is beneficial with reducing the time needed to edit content in multiple classes. It is easy for students to navigate and undersatnd.

Pros

I like the ease with which students can navigate the platform and the way that it houses everything that students use. I also like the ability to collaborate with colleagues to create activities/assessments together and share then easily with each other. I also like that it enables you to provide feedback for students on assignments and communicate directly with students.

Cons

There are some features (feedback for the new assessments, reporting features for the gradebook) that are missing that would be really helpful, particularly for remote learning.

• Industry: Restaurants
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Schoology helps organize classes and groups. It keeps everything organized and available for...

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

Pros

Schoology is a great organization tool for students as it displays all their classes and has each classes' contents inside the group. This allows for teachers to easily make assignments and information available to students digitally. Schoology also has a built-in calendar and notification system to make sure students turn in assignments on time. It has a very intuitive interface and it is easy to access for both administration, teachers, and students from both the mobile app and the web.

Cons

Schoology can sometimes have bugs which makes it frustrating in a classroom setting. Bugs can take time to fix and can delay important teaching material. The settings can be confusing at times and the mobile app can crash at times. Schoology support also takes some time to implement essential features which can be quite annoying at times.

Marja
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

When we used it I was very happy with the product.

Reviewed on 2017/09/19

As a former English teacher, it was so nice to have students be able to speak their voice in a setting they may not have been comfortable with prior to using Schoology. We were able to do many of the same discussions with our Bible students as well. It really helped in studying scripture passages.

Pros

I love the addition of the discussion board feature. Requiring students to post prior to seeing other students' post makes it easier to ensure they are not summarizing/rewording someone else's post. This was something that several teachers at my school requested and Schoology was very quick to implement it.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about the software. Many teachers at our school had a real problem with handing over a copy of our drivers licenses to a company when we already had a full background check with our school during the hiring process. It felt like a violation of privacy.

Jo
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Flexible, fully-featured and fun!

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Schoology works best for a whole school setting where different ability levels of instructors and learners will be accessing the platform. Especially suited to an establishment which intends to develop a blended learning and learning self-paced learning approach outside of the classroom. A school which confidently uses mobile apps and digital technologies will find Schoology a healthy addition to their collection of digital tools.

Pros

+A huge community of teachers and learners looking to sharing their experience and support one another in the usage of the platform.
+A recognisable user interface which makes the learning curve for new users simple and intuitive.
+Superb flexibility to create bespoke learning environments for teachers and learners.

Cons

- Some limitation of iframe embed due to the HTTPS protocol requirement. Use of HTML code editor often strips the inclusion of more advanced features such as Java functions.
- Limitation toe badge and gamification of learning.
- LTI integration not fully functional, relying on apps developers to plug the gaps.

Nicholas

The MVP LMS

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

I love having used Schoology in the past when teaching HS English an gamifying my classroom. I now utilize Schoology for professional development purposes. This allows me to create and offer my teachers anytime, anywhere, self-paced learning modules.

Pros

Schoology truly focuses their attention on personalized student learning. The features to set completion settings and afford students the opportunity to complete units/lessons/folders at their own pace is truly a game-changer. With that, it works perfectly when trying to gamify your classroom with the added benefit of included badges.

Cons

Navigation and ease of use require a little bit of time to play around and get comfortable with the program. So many added benefits and features are within other options. But once you figure them out (like embedding other apps into Schoology) they become the norm.