Schoology

LMS for teachers and school administrators

Andrew G.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Integrated Learning Management System

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Overall Schoology is going to allow for better implementation of curriculum as an online and hybrid option during this COVID19 pandemic.

Pros

Schoology integrates seemlessly into our district as we already use Powerschool so it will make it an easy transition for teachers into online learning.

Cons

The interface and mobile app could use a interface update to make it a little more friendly and easy to navigate.

Jennie W.

Schoology Junkie

Reviewed on 2020/09/01

Pros

I absolutely love the gradebook and it is so east to use. Grading the project and watching it automatically upload to the gradebook saves sooo much time.

Cons

I hate the uploading feature. It makes you jump through too many screens to upload a document. On the teacher side I do not like the missed assignments tally. When you click on a resubmitted assignment for example it never takes you straight to what was resubmitted. It will take you to the overall assignment and then I have to guess which student resubmitted it.

Nick A.

Number 1 LMS on the Market

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Overall, I can't imagine my experience both teaching using Schoology and leading professional development for teachers without Schoology. It has afforded me an opportunity to totally revamp my district's PD to something more teacher centered, self paced, and differentiated, by putting together an online database of modules tailored to our specific district needs.

Pros

This is hands-down my go-to LMS for education. Having used a variety of LMS programs out there, and having come from some such as Google Classroom, and 3DGameLab, Schoology is top notch. Constantly being updated, Schoology helps transition the focus from the teacher to the student. The best features are Schoology's ability to integrate with other tools, as teachers can embed edtech tools such as Padlet, Polleverywhere, Thinglink, etc into a Schoology assignment using their LTI integration. As they continue to partner with other edtech companies, some of these then become options within their platform. I have used their integrated Conferences, Lock Down Browser, and more. The ability to transition ownership to the students, monitor their work while letting them work at their own pace is truly remarkable and a game-changer in education.

Cons

There are some things I wish were available such as the ability to share an entire folder of contents with an individual student, or to set separate completion rules/dates for assignments within a folder. Not sure why these aren't options. I also think a way to automatically award badges upon completion would really help teachers cut down on time awarding them.

Julie G.

Life Changing

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

It has streamlined my classroom:
Assignments are in schoology, collected in schoology, graded in schoology, I used it to flip my classroom and organize what students do and when.
It has streamlined the work that I do to get ready for class:
I can easily collaborate with the teachers I work with, I can set up one class and copy to others, It helps me keep track of where my students are and what they are achieving.
I teach my students how to use the program to get more out of their own learning:
They can check on their level of mastery, rework old assignments and quizzes (when I let them), they can check their progress, see what is coming, and know what is expected of them just by opening the course.
3 years after beginning to use it, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Pros

I haven't collected a piece of paper in 3 years. It grades many things for me and I can get feedback on how my students are doing. I continue to have access to everything in a course even after it has ended. Schoology is incredibly helpful in fixing problems, and asking for feedback. It merges seamlessly with my school's grade book program. It has allowed me to turn my traditional classroom into a flipped-mastery classroom that use standards based grading. Differentiating instruction and assignments is easy with this program.

Cons

There are still things I wish it could do that it can't... yet. They are still working on those things.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Best Educator Software

Reviewed on 2019/01/05

This software allowed me to finally free up time and focus on my teaching instead of paperwork! Even better, all the tests and assignments I make can be saved to assignment bank, and I can reuse them for years to come. Absolute game-changer.

Pros

I am a teacher and school district I work for recently rolled out schoology and mandated all teachers to use it and I think this has been the best move in years. Schoology is AMAZING. First, it's very user-friendly (homepage looks like Facebook news feed, and grade books mirror many early-stage online grade books). Gradebook is easy to use and my school district has embedded an option where grades can automatically transfer and post in the district database every 5 weeks. That alone takes hours of work away from teachers when grades are due! Second, students can submit assignments on schoology - everything from exit tickets and papers to discussions and even tests. No more stacks of papers to take home and grade - I can literally access those online from any device and grade at my spare time. Even better - tests and quizzes can be created manually and correct answers programmed in, so when the student submits it, Schoology grades it and posts the grade for you (you have an option to review to verify it).

Cons

I am a math teacher and I would like for the option to allow students to create graphs themselves when doing tests. Schoology does not yet have such options, and instead I have to create graphs and and insert those pictures into tests, and make any graphing question a multiple choice one.

Schoology Review from Admin Side

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

I would recommend Schoology for teachers that have a good understanding of technology. The price is a bit much but it does a lot if the teachers are willing to spend the time on it.

Pros

Schoology is a very good LMS and is very versatile. I allows my teaching staff to communicate with their students on a regular basis. It also helps my teachers with parent communication. The program is also nice for students that have been absent or that are going to miss school for sports or a vacation.

Cons

The cross over from our SMS to this program is not always smooth and is a bit frustrating at times.

Pamela S.

Schoology is a great Learning Management System

Reviewed on 2021/01/29

I love that I can continue to teach regardless of the current pandemic situation thanks to Schoology.

Pros

Schoology has played a critical role in helping teachers teach during our current pandemic situation. It is key that I can put curriculum online for students that are sick or in quarantine. It is also critical for when I have had to teach from home. It allows me to communicate with students regardless of the current conditions.

Cons

Figuring out the best way to assign things like google forms, and links to websites has been a little bit confusing because there is multiple ways to this. To find the most efficient way of using it has been a challenge.

Leslie N.

Program ease in collaborative with teachers and Google easy for that with students across...

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Being able to collaborate and communicate with teachers in my department is fast and easy. Collaborative projects with students across all class periods has been very productive in my classes. Being able to sync to the gradebook is fast and efficient.

Pros

Ease in posting resources to keep students in Schoology for research projects and assignments. The ability to assess student learning in multiple formats. Being able to use the Google Drive link to create collaborative assignments across class periods for students to participate in allows all students to participate in one big project.

Cons

Schoology needs to solve the problem of students being able to copy and paste into Schoology. It's too easy for students to plagiarize when they can go outside of Schoology and copy and paste information to answer questions. I can tell students not to do that and remove grade points when they do, but if Schoology could find a way to not allow student accounts to copy and paste, there would be more original work done by students in the platform.

Jessica R.

Best LMS in the game!

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

Schoology changed my classroom experience for the better. It is integral to my classroom and our school district since we are 1:1. Schoology isn't just a tool it creates a culture in your classroom that helps faciliate community in the classroom experience.

Pros

*User Functionality - easy for teachers and students to use!
*Consistency of Updates from Schoology - they are constantly improving the platform whether it be with new app integration or ease of use in design.
*Support - Their support team is amazing, and client services are impeccable.
* Number of Apps that integrate is growing all the time!
*Google Assignment App stepped up the overall experience and use for Teachers.
* Assessment update changed the game - appeals to all different subject areas.

Cons

Honestly none because any issue that has existed Schoology has responded with an update if there was enough need for a change! That is one of their greatest strengths as a company.

Ross M.

Good student communication tool, but some features are hard to use.

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

I think Schoology is a good software that is helpful in school for online submission of projects and documents, however I prefer Google Classroom because it is easier to use. It took me much longer to become acclimated to Schoology than Classroom.

Pros

Schoology is a well designed program that is very similar to Google Classroom. In Schoology, it is easier to organize than google classroom within the certain classes. The teacher is able to create folders that include all the classwork for the students in color coordination. This is easier to view than google classroom, however it is more difficult to view the due dates.

Cons

The hardest part of the software to me is the attachment of files to the assignment. In google classroom, it is very easy to attach videos, files, links, and documents. There is a button that allows students to attach documents of their own, however most of the time in my experience it refuses to attach my document to the file. I have to end up copying and pasting my document into a new document. Also, if a student submits the assignment and then realizes he or she has made a mistake, sometimes there is no option to un-submit it. Also, it will sometimes submit multiple versions of the document as it is edited.

Eric B.

Schoology - K-12 Winner, Not So Much for Higher Ed

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

Schoology is an excellent platform for blended learning or situations where online learning is supplemental to face-to-face learning. For higher education, or fully online learning, it has a long way to go to catch up with the industry leaders.

Pros

Schoology is easy to use, provides an intuitive interface, and leverages the benefits of social media. As an Enterprise user, I have access to the full suite of analytics and universal settings, which are powerful. The mobile apps are feature-rich as well.

Cons

Schoology is not the ideal platform for higher education. The interface, while easy to navigate, is juvenile in its icons and profile images. And while it features a social media "wall" of recent activity across one's courses, the interface looks like an old Facebook. Also, Schoology's font, which cannot be altered, even by Enterprise users, is too small. This raises ADA compatibility concerns.

Aaron L.

Schoology Rocks!

Reviewed on 2019/09/21

Pros

Schoology allows you to have the all encompassing digital environment for your students. You can house all of your digital materials in one easy spot for students. The platform has a simple layout- which I love for my elementary students. Perhaps the best feature is the assessments. The new assessments allow you to use multiple choice, drag and drop, paint tools, highlighted text, etc. This allows you to essentially recreate any assignment you would normally have in a much more engaging way. And another great feature is that it can self-grade so your students can get instant feedback.

Cons

I really haven't found anything that I don't like about Schoology. They do have a "shared resource" section that could be easier to navigate.

Nicholas A.

The MVP LMS

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

I love having used Schoology in the past when teaching HS English an gamifying my classroom. I now utilize Schoology for professional development purposes. This allows me to create and offer my teachers anytime, anywhere, self-paced learning modules.

Pros

Schoology truly focuses their attention on personalized student learning. The features to set completion settings and afford students the opportunity to complete units/lessons/folders at their own pace is truly a game-changer. With that, it works perfectly when trying to gamify your classroom with the added benefit of included badges.

Cons

Navigation and ease of use require a little bit of time to play around and get comfortable with the program. So many added benefits and features are within other options. But once you figure them out (like embedding other apps into Schoology) they become the norm.

Arnold N.

Schoology is the BEST Learning Management System

Reviewed on 2020/04/06

It is a very excellent product that I highly recommended to every Academe.

Pros

The software play a big role in the Academe, specially to the Faculty member. Most common problem that every faculty usually encounter is on how to continue providing a learning experience to every students every holiday o vacation. On how to give quizzes and exercises whenever they are outside of school because of trainings and seminars? That's the very essence of Schoology. It could send every learning experience to every students wherever they are. Aside from that is very user friendly.

Cons

The common problem that may be encountered using this software is that it requires Internet connection which everybody don't have.

Sage W.

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

Schoology has helped to solve the problem of my students not having a copy of an assignment they need. They are able to access any and all worksheets that have been assigned and there are no more excuses that they "lost their homework."

Pros

As a teacher I love using Schoology. With Schoology I am able to post homework assignments for my class, create discussion pages, communicate with parents and so much more. One of the things I like most about Schoology is that I am able to post differentiated assignments for my students without them feeling the stress of having a different assignment then their classmates. Another thing I like about Schoology is being able to collaborate with other teachers by sharing resources and ideas which benefits both teachers and students.

Cons

The only con I have about Schoology is that there are so many things that you can do using Schoology, that sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming navigating the site. So my best advice is to pick one or two things you would like to use Schoology for and focus on just those few things until you get more familiar with the software. After that you can move on to learning and using more of what Schoology has to offer.

• Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Beneficial for teachers, parents and students.

Reviewed on 2019/05/15

I don't know what my classroom would look like without schoology. It has become a part of my classroom and I rely on it as my means of communication, lesson planning, scheduling, testing and assessing, gradebook and so much more.

Pros

Using schoology as an LMS allows for quick communication between teachers, parents and students. Even when a child is missing from school, they can stay up to date and now worry about falling behind.

Cons

This software is constantly changing and making updates, which is a good thing. Currently, I am not impressed with the teacher analytics of the new assessments tool, but I can gather the information I need through the tests/quizzes.

My Schoology Experience

Reviewed on 2019/05/25

Our school Moodle System requires each student to go to its school system administrator for registration. The system of registration slows me down a lot especially when I have new students coming in later weeks in class.

With Schoology, I just ask my students to register with their emails and search for my course and provide them with the access code.

Pros

Schoology is one of the most easiest learning management system softwares available online for free. The features are highly intuitive that you can use it without formal training. You can easily create courses and upload your documents that you want to share with your students.

You may set different types of quizzes (short-answer, multiple choice, etc.) depending on the time and day you want to schedule it.

Cons

During my migration from Moodle to Schoology, I downloaded the existing quizzes from Moodle format. I can not upload the quiz texts so I need to re-type all over again in Schoology.

Melinda L.

Great way to keep track of your child’s schoolwork

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

I love the app because you can send messages to the teachers without disrupting them with telephone calls. Also you can view all of your children’s progress if you have more than one attending that particular school. I like that if your child is having trouble in a subject you will know ahead of time by assessing their grades and averages through this app. Overall, I have had a great experience! I recommend it to parents that want to keep track of how well their children are doing in school.

Pros

I love that it gives you your child’s test grades as soon as the teacher uploads them.

Cons

I wish that you could view your child’s homework assignments.

Reviewed on 2020/02/05

Schoology has allowed me to easily organize my classes and make learning more efficient for students.

Pros

I use Schoology to allow students to access my entire class online. It is easy to set up, and easy for the students to use.

Cons

The program should make it easier to delete participants from a group. I am required to delete each person individually. I cannot check off many names then hit delete. This is time consuming.

Janie E.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Schoology is a necessity for the digital classroom!

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

I began using Schoology when my school district adopted it two years ago. At first I will admit that I was skeptical that it would be just one more thing to have to learn and deal with, but I quickly discovered that Schoology was going to be a lifesaver for both myself and my students. I have nothing but positive experiences with Schoology.

Pros

Schoology is a great place to keep all of your resources organized in one location where they can easily be found thanks to color-coated folders. Students can quickly find all of their assignments in one location rather than navigating through several websites.

Cons

I have no complains about Schoology at this point.

Tyler V.

Upgrade your School's LMS

Reviewed on 2020/07/25

We were able to put together a online school in a short amount of time that will be used by a large number of students

Pros

There is a lot you can do with Schoology. It has a user friendly interface and a lot of options and features for both the beginning user as well as the advanced user. Content can be formatted to look similar to other simple LMS or very dynamic for a rich and robust user experience.

Cons

There are a large number of features and it takes time and experience to use them in a creative way.
A simple link to pop up gif would help the user remember or take further advantage of the tools offered.

Christopher S.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A tremendous LMS that lets students take ownership of their learning!

Reviewed on 2015/10/27

Pros

Schoology, even in the "free" iteration, allows for a wide range of communication with students and parents that contributes to a learning environment that demands self-regulation and ownership of one's own learning. Think Facebook for school, but with WAY more ways to share documents, submit assignments, and get notifications in the hands of students.

It has entirely replaced my personal classroom website, and I'll never go back!

Cons

Nothing! For what we use it for, Schoology is ideal. Our entire district has mandated it for all teachers, and it has revolutionized how we teach.

David B.

Remarkable LMS for education but usable for other contexts

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

As a professor, I interact with a lot of learning management systems. There are numerous factors to consider on the back end for schools or school districts. But when evaluating front-end user interface aspects, I think Schoology comes out on top. It is formatted as much like facebook as might be possible. The interface is intuitive and simple to navigate. Schoology would be a great choice for any business needing an LMS for training purposes (or any other use for a closed system content distribution). Certifications as well as grades are possible in the evaluation functions. And, best of all, with limited users the service is free. You'll have to check when the system switches to enterprise level (and the cost is an investment at that point for sure), but you'll have plenty of time to grow into it and make sure it is the right product before investing any funds.

Cons

This can be costly if you have usage appropriate to enterprise level. I would argue that you get what you pay for and it is worth it, but the cost to buy is not minor.

• Industry: Higher Education

Loved this in Grad School

Reviewed on 2019/08/24

Have used Blackboard previously like Schoology better

Pros

This software was so easy to use and I loved how it linked to my Gmail account so i didn't miss an email from a professor or staff member. The assignments were easy to get to and submit as well as read for discussion purposes. I loved that other software such as Zoom could be integrated to make taking the online classes easier

Cons

Like any software it had a couple glitches, but nothing too major or inconvenient

Tina B.

Digital Learning Gone Wild

Reviewed on 2020/08/08

I was apprehensive about the digital learning because of COVID 19 but my son and I were able to get through assignments and get assistance when needed fairly easy. It is just a excellent tool to assist our irreplaceable teachers!

Pros

I like that parents can sign on with students to get assignments and assistance with their work with ease. But most importantly the ease of figuring it out on our own because when they closed the schools the teachers were scrambling all hours day and night to get each of their students set up with this. Amazingly easy.

Cons

Make app more easy to maneuver for sight impaired parents. When you use voice command the app tends to not respond and signs you out.