Microsoft OneDrive Reviews

Microsoft OneDrive

Secure access, sharing & file storage

4.4/5 (6545 reviews)
Alicia B.

Best Investment

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Pros

The best thing about OneDrive is the ability to save files on one computer and have access to them on another by signing into my account. I handle numerous documents and work in and out of the office. OneDrive provides me with the best way to track and maintain my files no matter where I am at.

Cons

The only downside is that OneDrive requires internet connection to automatically save files. With no internet connection I have to remember to save my work to my laptop.

Bobby S.

Bobby's OneDrive Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We were worried about switching from Google to OneDrive at first, but glad we did. The whole Microsoft package turned out to be an amazing decision on switching over.

Pros

The simplicity of use. OneDrive wasn't hard to setup at all.

Cons

I can't really think of anything I don't like, except maybe how when I setup my OneDrive this last time, it has a business and personal drive. I don't use the personal drive and can't seem to get rid of it. I'm sure if I contacted customer support, they could help. But it's not that big of a deal.

Nithya G.

A great shared drive which provides a shared space for document storage among teams!

Reviewed on 2019/08/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have to work as a team that’s located remotely and consists of freelancers who work for the training company. So based on each persons role, we select the level of access and which folders are permitted to be shared for collaboration. It has always been useful to find the right files at the right time and use the shared folders if one drive to collaborate more seamlessly!

Pros

I suggested Microsoft 365 to my team at Applied Business Academy which is a training provider. We have been able to use one drive extensively for sharing files securely and granting access to groups of people who should be provided the access. Specially with the GDPR regulations in Europe, we have been blessed to have purchased the licence to use this wonderful software!

Cons

I’m some of the laptops, if the setting are not right, it will not sync the files and the staff forget to turn sync on. This leads to confusion as the teams start working on the older version of the file. This has been a hassle on certain occasions. However it is not the fault of the software, but I wish it had a way to update all files automatically :)

Caitlin R.

OneDrive simplifies Microsoft file sharing and storage

Reviewed on 2019/06/14

I must admit I was reluctant at first because I am a Type A control freak and someone else doing the driving made me nervous about the mistakes and headaches. That hasn't happened. When I say it hasn't happened, I mean it hasn't happened one time. I use Office as my everyday life and it is incredible that with the amount of data for research for journal articles, my protocols and information regarding training, all of the outside work I do with volunteer groups, etc. that things don't mix themselves up, get lost, or have files get lost. In the past I have had external hard drives have sector failures. This eliminates that and I now rely on it. I am waiting for the day where all of our computer interactions can merge formatting for one seamless interaction but for now, of all of the cloud products I use, this by far is the best.

Pros

When you are working with a Microsoft product, OneDrive takes on the process of doing the work for you once you tell it to. It will back up your information to the cloud, auto save your edits, allow you to give other people access to any particular files and then allow you to allow or deny them edit access. Much of this is capable of being done through Mark-up, etc. but with OneDrive it is occurring in real time and you do not have to send, wait for the response, edit, and then send again. You are able to create a portfolio of a folder that contains multiple files so coworkers or coauthors can locate the various areas and make edits as needed while you work on a different aspect. Plus, when the inevitable screen of death occurs, those last second back-ups that never made it to your external hard drive are saved in the cloud as OneDrive truly is backing up every single thing you do.

Cons

There is a little difficulty for some less computer oriented coworkers to understand seeing duplicate files listed- one set on OneDrive and then also on desktop. I try to explain to them to think about their computer being attached to a box outside the computer that is also storing the same info in case it gets lost. That typically helps a lot. The other thing that is challenging is when you toggle it on, you have it writing the memory of the file in real time, so if you want to play around with edits and not have them saved, you have to remember to toggle it off, or create a separate file.

Shane K.

Excellent storage ,when used wisely!

Reviewed on 2019/06/08

As stated though, If you do make sure all the settings are right before things get slowed down, its an amazing experience having the cloud at your finger tips on mobile, and laptop, Desktop, and both my Xbox and Xbox1 working together. As well as the ability to load my games from Xbox1 onto it, and go to a fiends house who has the system, but not the game, and be able to play it there, with MY profile in all its glory, and when i return home, all my progress returns with me for more solo gaming.

Pros

Well i love that i linked all my Microsoft stuff together, At the time i first used it i was using an Xbox 360, the Xbox1 , desktop , and laptop for school and not to mention mobile phone as well. when i would make game clips from call of duty and upload them i could move seamlessly from Console to PC for editing my clips, Then for school when i would be at lunch in between class, i could still access any video clips on the go, and upload homework assignments, to then return home and work on my desktop once again.

Cons

Not a fan of when it will automatically grab everything, and i mean EVERY random silly thing you have off your PC and max out your storage, then it was just a hassle to turn off the auto upload, and would always end up getting tired of it slowing my startup to a crawl, then the left click delay would be...Just unbearable, to finally be able to hit settings, sometimes overshooting it and closing it again... having to right click once again, carefully work my way there again, and click it, for a slow load to finally FINALLY unchecked that box, and apply my settings. And thank goodness every windows installation i do i always forget to turn it off and then do the song and dance once again .

If you want Microsoft OneNote then you MUST have OneDrive and have it installed RIGHT!

Reviewed on 2019/06/09

One of the worst application experiences I have ever had the displeasure of living thru regarding getting it to "work", all-encompassing, pertaining to all I did previously say.

Pros

The best overall thing that I like most about OneDrive is that it literally has become my ONLY app that I use for cloud storage that syncs between my local machine and the cloud. I use 3 other apps, but ONLy OneDrive do I allow to sync bi-directionally with my local machine. I depend solely on OneDrive to make sure my ENTIRE LIFE (business and personal) is ALWAYS in sync---in real-time-----ALL THE TIME 24/7. The ability to use the Android Mobile App to access easily all my OneDrive Files is exceptional. I could not live without my OneDrive as it literally DRIVES my "ONE-LIFE", all-encompassing!

Cons

The absolute WORST and I really mean THE WORST thing about OneDrive is that it RUNS Microsoft OneNote! You can't have ONE without the other ONE. The TWO are BOTH actually ONE when all technicalities are taken into consideration. Additionally, in order to get BOTH of them to work properly after a "clean-install" of Windows 10 is a total nightmare (unless you have done it so many times like I have, and now I know how to "do it" without a dozen hours of MS Office 365 Tech Support Calls. They branded it correctly with "OneDrive" as it truly is your ONEDRIVE on your computer if you choose to use this cloud storage application. The fact is, OneNote is the the most often used application I have, and therefore, I had no choice but to utilize OneDrive, by default! Now that I have, I have grown to actually like it a lot, though! Lastly, I wish there was a choice to NOT sync to my local machine, but there isn't....and when configuring a system to have the OneDrive Folder NOT be in its default location is beyond a total nightmare to get done correctly!

Edward M.

Cloud computing made easy

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

So easy to use and great for not only being able to access your working files from anywhere, but is also acts as a backup, something we humans are notoriously lax at. And in the couple of years of use, I've never witnessed lack of access or downtime.
A good, reliable product.

Pros

Say what you like about Microsoft, but their OneDrive offer IS good! A trusted name, a reliable product you can access anywhere (obviously needing an internet connection), and safety in the knowledge that unlike SOME other cloud storage providers, your photographs (in particular) are not being accessed, permission granted or not!

The free offer, with 5 gigabytes, is certainly very suitable for those wanting a cloud storage solution for documents or spreadsheets to eliminate using memory sticks, especially if using Office 365 products which all storage options include. However, where OneDrive really ups the game is for their Premium OneDrive offer. This provides 1TB for each of people, including Office 365 and a host of security features and productivity tools. And as I mentioned, Microsoft do not ask to access your photographs.

In use, it is naturally very easy. There is nothing that should trip anyone up, unless you close your browser down while uploading or downloading! And secure sharing options are there, whether you want to allow users a link, access via email, editor status or not. And it makes no difference whether access is via Windows, iOS or Android.

And having your working documents not only accessible from anywhere but also backed up, is a boon.

And importantly, it doesn't cost a fortune.

Cons

I think the only con is the rather obvious one, and that applies to ANY cloud host. If you haven't an internet connection, you can't get to your storage!

There really is nothing to dislike about it.

Storing Files in the Cloud has Never Been Easier!

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

OneDrive has allowed us as a company to move away from traditional file shares stored on-premises to a hybrid cloud-based file storage setup, with personal user storage stored in OneDrive and company files on-premises. This way users are always able to access their files even when not connected to the company network. We have been able to decommission several file servers as a result of moving to OneDrive, and hope to eventually store all company files in OneDrive/SharePoint in the future.

Pros

The OneDrive client itself is very responsive, detecting and syncing any modifications to files to the cloud almost instantaneously. A sizeable 1 terabyte of storage space is provided with an E1 licence, which is more than enough to store a user's personal files in most cases. GPOs can be used in an enterprise setting to control aspects of the OneDrive client, including default OneDrive folder locations, enabling Files on Demand to save disk space, and sync bandwidth limits. OneDrive integrates very well with the rest of the Microsoft product eco-system, becoming the default save location for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files once set up. A recent update has added the ability to automatically sync your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders to OneDrive without needing to manually configure additional options (this is an incredibly useful feature for an enterprise setting). Microsoft's support is quick to respond to support tickets and is very helpful. The application also auto-updates on startup, which means there is less administration needed to maintain current releases on all devices. The OneDrive mobile app is available for mobile working.

Cons

Some users have trouble with the concept of OneDrive and cloud storage, so a good amount of training should be provided when rolling out the application. The application itself installs in the user's 'AppData Roaming' folder rather than the 'Program Files' folder which means if multiple users are logged into the computer there will be multiple OneDrive installations, one for each user (however this is rectified in the newest insider releases of OneDrive where the application installs to the 'Program Files' folder, but this will take time to reach general release). If the application has issues syncing a file, it is not immediately apparent to the user as the only notification is a small red error icon shown over the OneDrive taskbar icon.

Max P.

You probably already are paying for Office 365, so might as well take advantage of OneDrive

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Our business, like most businesses I image, relay on MS Office products for day to day work. This OneDrive product comes with those products that are already being used in Office365. There really is no downside to not using this product if you already have Office365. It is easy to use like Dropbox and easy to share files with others in your organization.

Pros

This product comes free with a large 1TB of storage with Office 365 that every business uses anyways. Even if you have GSuite, chances are that you are also paying for MS Office. GSuite's Google Drive has a unique and frustrating (for new users or long time Windows users) method for syncing files. OneDrive's storage method is more inline with the user friendly DropBox. You can also edit Office files and OneNote inside OneDrive.

Cons

The client for Mac needs a special type of drive format. You need to have the drive formatted in a case sensitive format for the client to work. This can sometimes require IT to setup a separate partition on user's mac just for OneDrive to sync.

Dishant S.

A lifesaver when wiping your PC

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

OneDrive is an excellent tool for personal as well as business needs. I have been able to store my important files and folders successfully on a cloud platform without worrying about their security and of getting them deleted. I can easily backup my data in case of any hardware or any mishap. I want to recommend this product to any business to arrange their files and folders effectively.

Pros

OneDrive is a great cloud storage solution from Microsoft, the creator of the famous operating system. In the OneDrive itself, Microsoft has been successful enough to maintain the trust of the people on its products.
I find it very helpful when I have to wipe out my PC. I stored all my important office files and documents on the OneDrive and successfully wiped it out without any headache.

OneDrive comes from the Microsoft house and provides complete security to your files.

I loved the feature of Document Sharing in the OneDrive. It provides you the ability to share the documents with your clients quickly.

OneDrive also has a fantastic feature which lets its users by synchronizing the files from different machines.

The calendar in it helps in managing different schedules like meetings, etc. very efficiently.

The documentation support and customer support provided by the Microsoft team is undoubtedly incredible.

Cons

Some incidents evolved when I was syncing the files from the OneDrive, and my local machine gets failed, and those were quite difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot.

When downloading files and folders, it's competitors allow to download it quickly and automatically converts it into a zip file. But, I have not found any similar functionality in the OneDrive.

There were issues related to the naming convention when backing up the files. These were difficult to detect and fix.

It does not support the complete backup of your system. Although you can take a backup of multiple files, to make a full backup, you have to use third-party software, and then you can copy it in the OneDrive.

OneDrive is a good storage solution, but not the best.

Reviewed on 2019/03/09

Good cloud storage for Windows and Office users. Not a smooth experience for Mac users.

Pros

It's probably the best cloud storage for Windows users, because of its integration with the operating system and the Office 365 suite. For a Mac user the road is not that smooth. See the cons mentioned below.

Most of the time it works well, with occasional mess-ups. With a paid account you get 1 TB of storage which is more than enough for the average user.

You can access your files from anywhere, be it a laptop, a desktop machine, a tablet or your phone (even for iOS users) which makes it very versatile.

It's also very good for backups in case of hard drive failure because your files are always in the cloud and you have local copy on your device in a folder named "OneDrive".

Cons

As a Mac only user, I've had some issues with using OneDrive that made it difficult to work with, without putting an effort:

1. Being a Microsoft product, it's made for Windows files and file systems rather than a more universal approach like Dropbox has. The first time I've added files to OneDrive, I had 150+ errors that needed to be fixed. They were all file naming errors that OneDrive wouldn't support (because of the different character support between Windows files and Mac files).

2. After having 150+ errors, I tried to fix each one manually by going into Finder and renaming the files. The only problem with this is that I could only see a limited number of individual issues from the total number. The OneDrive widget doesn't allow you to see all errors, just the last 20 or so. While I was fixing some of them, the error dialog wouldn't refresh immediately, making it hard to confirm that I was doing the right thing. Eventually I deleted everything and started moving small chunks of files to have less errors to handle at one time. This worked out well in the end and everything is good now.

3. There is also a file limit of 10GB which, depending on your work might be an issue.

Ruston R.

A Great Cloud Storage Solution

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

I'm not in a good position to compare to Google Cloud. I just happened to have jumped in the One Drive boat first. I'm certainly not against trying out their solution, I just already have something that works well enough.

Pros

Microsoft put a lot of effort into making One Drive user friendly and seamless across multiple computers and it shows. I'm to the point now where all of my files live in one drive. When I have to wipe my laptop or move to a new computer I have to do two things 1) install chrome and import my bookmarks/passwords and 2) install one drive and sync my files. I'm now 80% functional in less than 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what setting I ticked but when I spun up my most recent laptop last month my desktop, my documents, downloads, etc all mapped themselves to my one drive auto-magically

I also have a folder with all of my business documents in it. I was easily able to share a link with my business partner and give him full access to all of the business files so that we can both work off the same file set. Very convenient especially for something like a Quick Books Desktop save file.

Also 1 TB of data is a ton. If your a normal person that's more than you'll ever need. at least for the next 20 years or so. A less than normal person would be someone with a digital movie collection of 1000+ movies. To help put this in perspective 1TB =1000GB and 1GB = 1000MB 10 average Word Docs would equal about 1 MB. a full length movie at normal quality would be 100-300MB.
So again, unless you want to store 1000s of movies 1 TB will be more than enough.

Cons

It messes up occasionally.
Over the past few years and a half-dozen or so computers I've had One Drive go a bit crazy on me. All of a sudden it will stop syncing properly or at all. Twice I've spent considerable amounts of time working through various solutions and with tech support to no avail. Basically a fresh wipe of the computer was the best route. (which is a terrible solution).

I've also found that it's ... either screwy or not at all intuitive (or a bit of both) with One Note save files. All of my One note notebooks are saved in One drive but trying to make a redundant copy of one of them or restoring a backup is a huge hassle.

All in all it's a worthwhile program.

Jhonnathan M.

Keep your lost files safe with OneDrive!

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

I sincerely owe all my files from many years ago to OneDrive. I work in the area of digital creation and it is very useful to have all our important documents such as fonts and backup images and portfolios within reach. The trade sometimes causes us to be exposed to viruses, but OneDrive is a very useful and versatile tool to protect us and optimize our work at the same time.

Pros

OneDrive offers an easy and convenient way to keep your files safe. It's important to know its functionality. The program creates a folder on your computer and everything inside this folder and will copy to your cloud, staying safe from any system failure. In the past, I had several computers that I lost due to hardware failure, but thanks to the fact that I always kept my folder updated and with the important files included in it I was able to quickly recover everything by simply installing OneDrive again and waiting for a quick update.

Another thing that I found very useful is that you can access your folder from anywhere. Being on the road and with an internet connection you can connect and download and upload files to your secure folder, this is very useful in some cases! Because it doesn't require your computer to be turned on.

Cons

As I work with many files, and in spite of being organized, due to human error some documents can be left out of OneDrive, perhaps in everyday folders. This causes any file not included in the folder created by OneDrive to be forgotten if a system crash or virus attack occurs. Files in the cloud are sectioned to prevent hidden viruses from spreading and damaging others, but if one file is attacked inside the OneDrive folder it will send this to the cloud which means we will lose the file. So containing documents, files or anything inside this folder does not guarantee its security. It only guarantees that we will be able to recover them anytime, anywhere.

7.0/10

The most straight-forward cloud storage solution for regular users (even on Mac)

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

- For Microsoft Office users, the collaboration features make it a no-brainer pick to use.
- It is the best cloud storage value for Office 365 subscribers, with 1TB space included.
- Additional features are consistently added, and stability is always improving.
- Straightforward backup settings (unlike competitive cloud options) so you know which files/folders are being backed up and what happens when files/folders are removed locally so you aren't constantly worrying if you're deleting all copies.
- iPhone iOS app is very well integrated and full featured and works consistently. Features are consistently added to take advantage of new iPhone capabilities.
- iPhone camera roll backup has been superior to the built-in iCloud Photos since you are able to delete photos from your phone after they are backed up without the backup also being deleted.
- OneDrive file management from website is relatively fast and easy to use for viewing your entire library of files if you don't store them all on your local device too.

Cons

- On the Mac OneDrive app, you may get frequent backup errors due to disallowed characters or spaces in file names. Tracking them down and fixing can be frustrating and time consuming.
- Confusing differences/similarities when using OneDrive and OneDrive for Business accounts on the same device. They do not function the same in how they treat and backup files.
- Adding a user to shared folders can be a little confusing on the iOS app as it seems to prefer creating a public link rather than just authorizing a login.
- The iPhone app and Mac OS app only support a single personal OneDrive account being used (an additional OneDrive Business account can be added, however)

MS OneDrive

Reviewed on 2018/10/27

OneDrive allows substantive, real-time collaboration on work using the near universal MS office suite. It's allowed me to create both quick and effective tools for myself in Excel that I can even use on my Android phone, and allowed me to manage long-term research content.

Pros

The automatic integration with Windows 10 and it's bundling with MS Office subscriptions makes this a fantastic service. Additionally, it's Android App allows for easy cross-platform use. As a Windows user, OneDrive makes collaboration incredibly easy from the generation of content on a local PC to the sharing work/files/information with others.

Cons

The automatic settings of OneDrive as a built in Windows feature might be annoying for people not used to saving via the cloud. In Windows 10 it is set as the default save-to location and requires a bit of settings work to change. Additionally, I've noticed some minor issues with the responsiveness concerning sorting or renaming files within OneDrive via Windows File Explorer. File previews in OneDrive often don't display the thumbnail preview image and the file (if an image or PDF) does not display in the preview pane of File Explorer. Additionally, when renaming files, OneDrive tends to have strange timing to it's highlighting, deleting and saving of file name often times saving a rename with only one letter typed in or otherwise making renaming files from within OneDrive difficult/annoying. You can get around this by using the OneDrive App in Windows, but if you don't have administrative rights/installation abilities then you'll have to use File Explorer.

Steve B.

A formidable cloud-storage solution for the masses...at a price

Reviewed on 2018/09/08

Microsoft has attempted, and largely succeeded, in building a robust cloud storage tool for consumers with OneDrive. As an IT professional, I was given 5 TB of storage "for life" for attending Microsoft's /build conference several years ago. For home users with an Office Live subscription, the 1TB of additional storage per account makes this a de facto choice. But for enterprises that don't have people who understand group policies and how to block the consumer client, coupled with the paltry free storage options compared to its competitors, OneDrive becomes a logistical nightmare as the operating systems made by Microsoft suggest (often and loudly) that users should save to OneDrive, ignoring that OneDrive for Business is installed.

Pros

Integration with Windows versions 8 and later provides instant simplicity with OneDrive. With Windows 10, it has become even simpler to use on PCs. The context menus allow easy changes to whether or not a file or folder is synced to the cloud, and the onedrive.live.com site is intuitive and easy to manage the content store via any browser. The ability of native applications for every reasonable platform makes this product appealing.

Cons

Microsoft can't determine what it wants to do in the consumer space, and nowhere is this more apparent than with OneDrive. Much like Skype, OneDrive has a "for business" client that bears little resemblance to the consumer application. Similarly, where Microsoft once led the field with generous storage space, their bizarre decision to revoke free storage for saving pictures and reduce the "free" amount has seriously hindered the attractiveness of OneDrive as a cloud solution. While the iOS app is delightfully easy to use, and bugs can be reported simply by shaking the app, saving files to OneDrive can be challenging, especially for novice users. Similarly, Microsoft did not make enough of an effort to distinguish OneDrive from the "for Business" product, and I know many frustrated IT managers who have countless calls from employees who have saved to the personal space instead of the enterprise version. As a final note, the lack of a plug-in for Microsoft's Edge browser is surprising, and unfortunate.

Nathan R.

Perfect Cloud Storage

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

No more VPN connections to the corporate network in order to access office files on a server, as now files are in the cloud on Microsoft's servers. Using Azure AD Connect to synch usernames and passwords with the local domain, users have an SSO experience even while utilizing the full benefits of cloud-based file storage.

Pros

You can access your files from anywhere you have access to the Internet. The latest updates allow you store all your files in the cloud while having access to them from your PC through Windows Explorer, too, allowing access to them from within every application. However, they take up no space on your hard drive until you open them--brilliant! So if you have a small SDD drive on your laptop, problems with storage space just got solved. After you've worked with the file, simply return it to the cloud and free up your hard drive space again. Need to share a file or folder with someone? That's a cinch, as you create a share link from within Windows or through the OneDrive interface on the web, choosing to allow editing or read only access, as well as whether the link should expire after a certain period of time. Sharing a link to a document means your recipient can access the latest version whenever the link is clicked. If you work on the file through Office 365, then the collaborative opportunities are opened, as you can work on a file together. OneDrive is perfectly integrated into all Office 365 apps as well as Windows 10 itself (just make sure to have the latest version of Windows installed to take advantage of OneDrive's latest innovations). One last trick OneDrive does is to preview some file types even if the associated app is not installed (browser only).

Cons

While it will back up files you explicitly place in your machine's OneDrive folder, by copying them to the cloud, it does not perform system backups. So if you want system backups to be in the cloud on OneDrive, you will need to run them with a system backup utility and then copy them to OneDrive (depending on your backup utility, you might be able to automate writing backup copy to OneDrive).

Stever jose G.

Collaborative work and availability of information

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Availability of 24x7 information
Collaborate online with the information
To be able to have the information offline, apply changes and be applied to the original file after synchronization.
Increase the collaboration of work teams.
Always have the change history available to avoid loss of information.
Saving of paper printing by being able to share files to be reviewed by other people.
Share information about projects with clients without having to move them on a pendrive.
Save the capacity of the email by sending an email with only the link of the shared file or not the file. this solved us in clients and suppliers that have an email solution that only allows 5mb mail entry and when sending a file of 1 gb it does not reach them, it is solved by sending the url by mail

Pros

The functionality of accessing information via Web or desktop application locally.
The change history is registered
The teamwork collaboration that allows you to edit documents online
Make changes to the offline documentation and apply the changes when connecting to the internet
The storage capacity from the lowest plan is 1 tb to unlimited in other plans.
Microsoft increases the storage capacity in base advances the market without needing to change the subscription plan.
the ability to upload and maintain files up to 15 GB
The ease with which the structure of folders and file shares are managed can be from the root or a single file inside the folder.
To be able to share information for a determined time
that you can share information with customers or suppliers that do not have OneDrive and only need a Microsoft account to identify themselves.
To be able to share information so that the external ones can access anonymously, sharing through a link or QR code (it has disadvantages of not having tracking if it is shared in edit mode)
Levels of sharing, reading or writing.
Use a single application to manage OneDrive files and Sharepoint libraries.
A new functionality that when synchronizing the OneDrive or Sharepoint libraries the files are available locally as cache but all the information is not downloaded until you use them locally (this solves the local space issue to have the information replicated)
Facilitate teamwork is a plus in favor and very important

Cons

When several people have a local library synchronized and your Internet provider fails frequently you can make the upload synchronization be affected by duplicating the information, the good thing that a second file creates, adding at the end of it the name of the computer that you synchronize.
A Collaborator with full access on a folder or file structure eliminates the documents the owner does not know until he / she accesses, I think a notification should be sent to the owner of the documentation to approve said elimination. (Although the recycling bin lasts 30 days information it would be good to make that change to notify)

Joel B.

The best cloud storage available

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

I keep all my important files synced across all my devices. I can access everything I want to access whether I'm at my home computer, work computer, laptop at the coffee shop, or out and about on my phone. Perfect syncing of everything all the time.

Pros

I have tried many different cloud storage options and OneDrive is my absolute favorite. The thing I like the most is the native integration with Windows 10 on my desktop, laptop, and Windows 10 Mobile phone. It works flawlessly and completely as expected.

I appreciate that Microsoft added back the ability to keep files only in the cloud until you use them, but still be able to see them on your desktop. The indicators are clear and easy to understand. I know if a file is on my computer and on the cloud, or just on the cloud.

Syncing times are very quick, especially with a decent internet connection. I have a super fast 300 Mbps (both up and down) connection at home, so my files are synced almost instantly. They become available on my laptop and phone within seconds.

Microsoft has added additional native functionality within File Explorer for OneDrive, so I no longer need to go online to share files with other people.

Cons

The initial setup is easy, but making changes to the software is not where it should be. I would expect the settings for OneDrive to be in Windows 10 settings, but instead, you have to click on the OneDrive cloud symbol in the tray to access the settings. Once in the settings, the wording is not easy and the controls are not laid out well. The whole settings area needs to be redone to the new Windows 10 style and updated to be easier to understand.

Shane D.

Seamless computer to cloud connection and syncing that is hardly noticeable

Reviewed on 2018/05/05

I currently have 125,200 Tb (terabytes) with Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise and it's just amazing. To grow up with mere Kb's of space and now we're getting into Pb (petabytes) it's quite amazing.

Pros

OneDrive made connecting your computer to your private cloud storage very easy, simply download and install its small client syncing application, login to your account and tell it where you would like to place the directory (folder) and anything put inside it is synced right to your cloud storage drive and you'll never have to worry about losing your data again. It's fast and very quiet when syncing even large files without noticing it at all and has some added functions where you can change settings to suit your particular needs like data saver that will only upload when connected to a steady wifi connection or automatical photo upload (mobile app) that will upload all camera photos from your mobile device right away which is very secure, private and best of all it saves you much-needed room on your mobile devices.

Cons

I feel Microsoft did great with OneDrive, especially business and enterprise-class versions leaving me with very little room for Cons. I would have to say, a better-looking user interface design that isn't the bare minimum basics box that it currently is however it works and lastly, more features that can be controlled offline in the application, better control over other connected devices and multiple directory capabilities instead of a single directory. OneDrive currently wins as my choice for office 365, business and enterprise users.

Beth D.

Pretty decent backup and storage as well as file sharing

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

Well, I guess I've used it a lot because I am getting messages that my OneDrive account is almost full and I need to either purchase more space or get rid of some stuff. It does a good job of pulling stuff from my phone and computer and backing it up. You can create files and subfiles to organize your stuff. I have shared large files with people remotely that were too large to attach to an email document and there are security features to make sure only the person you want accessing it has access to it. I've really had no issues with it at all other than forgetting my password at one point years ago and it was a bit of a hassle getting that back. but I've been able to save things from old hard drives, such as music, purchased installation files, of course photos and documents, etc. with no problem. Until now. I have no idea what it costs to add storage space and probably my OneDrive just needs a good spring cleaning, so it's definitely an app I'll stick with. Works well with Windows 10 and you can access those files by clicking in your file directory rather than having to get online and go to a separate Cloud space and log in to access anything you have with another company. Other than the headache of forgetting my password that one time, it has worked great for me, and it's free and really does offer a pretty generous amount of room to save your stuff. I've never heard of any security breaches or issues with it at all. If you're looking for a way to keep your stuff backed up and on the Cloud, it's a good way to go.

Cons

The user interface does seem a little bit scaled down and simplistic, with not an overwhelming number of options, but then I don't really need a lot of options for what is basically an electronic storage unit. There was some hassle with forgetting my password a few years ago that was not easy to fix, but ultimately, it was. That's pretty much the only issue I've had except that I've apparently nearly filled my allotted capacity to the max and need to either clean out or upgrade to more storage. The reminder of that sliding onto my screen every time I log into my laptop is annoying, but I do see the necessity of it.

Ben B.

OneDrive provides seamless cloud storage baked right in to Windows 10.

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

OneDrive provides large amounts of seamless, continuous cloud storage at a tremendous value. The integration OneDrive directly into Windows 10 and Microsoft Office make using the software easy and automatic.

Pros

OneDrive is cloud storage at its finest. Invisible, light, automatic. Whenever we create documents in the office, we know they are all backed up. Any time we create new media, organizing it for active and archival storage is simultaneous and uncomplicated. Just as arrange and organize files in File Explorer, OneDrive runs behind you making all the changes in the Cloud, making sure everything is up to date with the latest revisions.

But not only is OneDrive always working, but it's invisible. Unless you need it, OneDrive doesn't interrupt work. This is a game changer compared to other cloud storage platforms. Productivity remains high, with the confidence that everything is working.

Additionally, OneDrive is very light on the CPU. Even in the midst of large file syncs, we never have issues with performance bottlenecks.

Finally, OneDrive is an incredible value. Build right into the fee of Microsoft Office 365 is 1Tb of storage per account. This is more than enough for active cloud storage, and provides plenty of headroom for local and offsite archival sync scheduling.

OneDrive greatly improves team and organizational file and content management through superior and seamless user experience.

Cons

The customer support for OneDrive is adequate, but we have had a few unresolved issues that were disappointing. For example, OneDrive originally granted users unlimited storage, but Microsoft later revised this cap down to 1TB per account. While this is still sufficient for our current needs, not having to worry about storage limits was a nice comfort of the service. Also, OneDrive can, on occasion, have issues with file previewing with various types of media files. Lastly, OneDrive is most useful with Microsoft ecosystems. Other platforms may not be as smooth in user experience.

Todd G.

OneDrive Supports My Virtual Practice

Reviewed on 2019/06/13

Again -- I've had a great experience using OneDrive and really don't need to repeat what I've already said.

I will add this...when I left my last broker/dealer I left there with 5 steel file cabinets that I had purchased over time to hold the paper client files that company still required their advisors to keep. The agents remaining at that office tried to buys these from me. I refused thinking I would need them and also because my divorce with that company wasn't that friendly. I've ended up giving my brother two of the file cabinets (so far) as he owns a tax business and hasn't gone to a paperless environment yet. He knows he has a 3rd cabinet anytime he needs it. The other two...I use to store "stuff".

Pros

Let me start out by saying that as an agent/advisor in the Financial Services Industry my broker/dealer has to allow me to use this software -- which it does.

OneDrive has allowed me to do what I've wanted to do for years -- truly move to a paperwork filing system and achieve my goal of having a primarily virtual practice.

I can meet with clients on-line in a virtual workspace and any and all applications and materials is securely captured and stored in OneDrive. I can access these files through a secure login from anywhere I'm physically working from. The only requirement, obviously, is that I have internet access.

I also like that my assistant -- who also works virtually for me -- has access to these files at any time. And she uses it as much as I to accomplish the tasks assigned.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything I don't like about it that comes to mind and I've been using it for 4.5 years.

The Ease of File sharing with Server Security

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/03

overall this is a fantastic product to use and implement in any company or personal life looking to have easy and fast access to their data anytime and anywhere securely.

Pros

I love the fact that One drive not only allows you to share files like its competitors, but also does it securely using encryption and the sharing parameters allows the recipient to authenticate with the link that they are opening or they cannot access the data. this give server based file protection and security to the users data. i love the fact that it integrates with 365 and azure AD / SharePoint and basically replaces your on premises file server. the best part of all is that you can have access to your data anytime or anywhere. Whether it is on your phone, tablet, pc or MAC. you can share, edit and upload files without isue.

Cons

while the personal version of one drive is simple to setup, the business version takes a little bit more knowledge and administrative power to get going and working the way it should be and correctly. you will sometime run into permission issues when migrating from a on premises file share to one drive if the file permissions do not carry over using the utility which sometimes happens. there is also sometimes issues with the lock down of file sharing outside of your organization even though that feature is turned on globally.

OneDrive is Mostly Useful

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Generally it has been a very good experience using OneDrive.

Pros

OneDrive is great, in general, for backing up my files and having copies in different places. I like, for example, that I can set it up so that all of my files in the cloud on my OneDrive are also downloaded locally onto my desktop and onto my laptop, so that I have at least two local copies in addition to my cloud copies. For me this is useful in the off chance that my cloud OneDrive got hacked into and changed or files deleted - I would then still have my local copies of documents, and if I am careful about it I could keep either my laptop or PC from connecting to the internet temporarily so that I could move files around and get all my files back onto my cloud OneDrive. I like that my files can automatically save as I am working on them, and it will be saving the newest version into OneDrive, and that I can turn this feature off for documents which I want to work on but not save the changes automatically.

Cons

I have both a personal and a work OneDrive account, and it is sometimes very difficult to figure out how to get both versions linked to from my PC and laptop, at times this has taken me hours to try to get set up correctly. Presently it appears to be working correctly. There have also been, at least once or twice, incidents where OneDrive had stopped downloading local copies of my files, and I hadn't realized it initially, and so had to finagle to set it up to download the files to my PC and laptop again. I am not sure why it stopped downloading the files - it seems to be working properly for many months now.