Contentful

Mohamd E.
  • Industry: Design

All about Contentful

Reviewed on 2019/02/09

I like to recommend you to use Contentful, because it is user friendly, and more professional in developing your projects.

Pros

The user interface of Contentful is great in comparison to the other sites.
The user interface is easy to use.
It is very easy to locate content.
Best API capabilities.

Cons

I'm really satisfied with Contentful, but the interface can be improved to the best.

Andy B.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Easily got content libraries up and running, good API for pulling content into other platforms. Customisation doesn't feel the easiest and advanced validation would be good to be built in. We have been able to scale as we add additional partners easily.

Pros

Easy API Integration, good search and filter with customisable columns, comments from other users, different content models rollback and version ability.

Cons

Custom Validation didn't allow us to cross compare fields, different user levels is only available on higher plans.

Júlio S.
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Used Other for Free Trial

A greate headless CMS

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

We've tried Contentful as a alternative to our custom backends. We ended up going with an open source alternative that was enough for our needs.

Pros

Contentful is a very easy to use solution for managing your content without having to develop a custom backend. It has many moderns features and a nice access control for your data

Cons

Compared to other solutions, it has a poor support for translations and the entry price is too high.

• Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

CMS for all

Reviewed on 2019/12/15

For now I almost use Contentful for small and static projet and Contentful provide me the best solution i needed for it.

Pros

Once your projet is set up, all is easy to use and allow user to contribute without IT knowledge. All contents provided are really good for all type of projet.

Cons

I advice to follow some tuto to discover all functionnality because you can get easily lost at the beginning (in term of project creation). Once all is set all become easy.

Luke J.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Technically rich, very solid headless CMS.

Reviewed on 2018/05/18

Helping us build a new platform

Pros

I found Contentful to have strong technical quality, it was easy to get started, and had a pretty quick learning curve. We're going to be integrating it in several upcoming projects.

Cons

It is much better for new projects than for legacy ones, as importing prior content is very painful - there is some tooling for it, but it can still be pretty complex.

Andrew F.
  • Industry: Design

So long, WordPress! Welcome to the future of nimble web development!

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

The free developer plan is amazing, and overall Contentful has made my life SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer have to worry about updates, databases, or clients breaking their sites.

Pros

The UI of Contentful is superb in its own right, but especially when compared to other similar CMS interfaces. Everything is laid out neatly, and it's easy to sort and edit your content. When paired with a static site generator like Gatsby, Contentful is WAY more safe, dependable, and low-maintenance than WordPress (which I'm sad to say, after being a WP dev for years, is a complete mess).

Cons

Modeling content can be tricky at first, especially since you can't have differing fields within a content type. But once you understand the general concept of "referencing," it becomes quite easy and even enjoyable to structure nested and/or complex data.

Benjamin M.

Contentful is an agile 'CMS' and overall easy to work with

Reviewed on 2019/06/13

I can create a small site without bothering with a traditional CMS and allow the client to access important text copy and the same content could be repurposed for another platform, which is good to know for the future.

Pros

I should clarify that I am speaking from the perspective of a developer so I can't vouch for the experiences of a content contributor. As a developer, I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction with their Gatsby starter kit and Netlify. This has been a great intro into the trend of static react based sites and I love it so far. I will try to stay focused on Contentful though. As someone very familiar with the traditional LAMP stack CMS world, I appreciate that they try to keep CMS best practices and dispense with the countless technical issues plaguing the old school approach. I have only used it for a small site though, but I am psyched to try it out with a larger project to really use it to its best potential.

Cons

I was going to say that it is totally painless, but there are some adaptation pains involved. If, like me, you just jump right in with a Gatsby Starter Kit, you may do some newbie things here and there. But I never really got stuck or blocked, and always learned when going back to improve something. Like I said, I haven't dug deep enough to have had a real issue. The worst negative could be that there are some cross sale situations where you may feel obliged to purchase a plugin to work with your content. I don't know if I can really fault a business on this though. Depending on your dev skills, you can always figure out a way to get your Contentful content to work without necessarily buying a shortcut from a third party.

Jan P.

Content Management done right.

Reviewed on 2014/07/15

After deciding to integrate an offline experience to our mobile shopping app Cash to Code I started looking at syncing solutions for mobile. Shouldn't be too hard to find something, many apps have to have this problem - or so I thought. Well, not that easy as it turned out. What was out there at that time was unfinished, limited or just broken. By accident I found Contentful and their API focused CMS.

Now some months later we are live in the app stores and I couldn't be happier how it all turned out. Yes, back then we couldn't just drop in a SDK an get all the sync functionality out of the box (I hear this is different now), but we just wrote it ourselves based on the great API documentation and the sync endpoint. We use the API to create our content on Contentful directly from our backend system, then it just gets synced to all the clients out there.

Pros

API.
Sync endpoint.
People.

I've used Contentful to develop the project of a corporate website.

Reviewed on 2018/07/04

A fast, rich and 100% reliable development experience.

Pros

Contentful offers number of useful features and it's incredibly smart and simple to use.
I also appreciated the great discussion I had with one of Contentful main programmer on Github : it helped me to go way beyond my expectations for a CMS.

Cons

There could be one more step in pricing for small projects like the one I often deal with. I can't really find any reproach.

Jean-hugues B.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Contentful...

Reviewed on 2016/10/12

WYSIWYG interface is ok, but nothing crazy. Uploading images is a real pain and can only be done effectively (seo) by adding images one by one. How and when content appears when published is still a mystery to us. Technical limitations not mentioned, poor support.

Cons

Support says it all: "we only commit to offering community support in your current subscription plan". Even when you find-out your plan does not work. Check this post if you want to know more: http://bit.ly/2dWl5by

Easy to use and fills all our needs

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Pros

Once you get the building blocks and templates in place then anyone can make a landing page.

Cons

I don't have any complaints, they have met all our needs.

Karan S.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Great productivity product

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

We've been using this product for a couple of projects now - glad to mention we're a happy customer :)
Recommend this to everyone who wants to create a flexible CMS powered web application.

Pros

- Flexibility
- Easy to use
- Easy to locate content - wide variety of filters and search
- Previews and webhooks are ++

Cons

- The product is a bit slow to use
- Content State management could be improved - meaning when I delete a linked content, it sometimes leads to unexpected issues

Anni K.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Ali K.

Enterprise website management platform for organization’s with lot of data

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

In the few years that we have been working with various CMSs, Contentful has been very successful and one of the safest and most well-designed decisions is being made for your organization. They are both safe and have a great status.

Pros

I like Single Sign-On for easy and secure access of team members, It is also a great platform when you’ve got a lot of content and data for your organization and need a professional platform for categorizing your data in the shortest time. GraphsQL is great, and at last, Contentful is user-friendly and easy to understand for newbies.

Cons

Because a team is working on a project in a short amount of time and maybe working two or three shifts to edit the content of several people, a more professional and secure log is needed to record all events in detail.

Ash M.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Taken a load off our team

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

We switched to Contentful as a way of consolidating our CMS from three to one. Development is currently ongoing, but I am over the moon with how effective it has been for us to work with Contentful. We're planning a significant relaunch of our product later this year with all curated experiences powered by Contentful.

Pros

The ability to flexibly model content according to what our output needs are, rather than being constrained by a pre-defined model.

The ease of adding translations.

The customer service we have received.

Cons

Only that the way that the pages are represented could be a little more visual when relating elements together. But it's a very minor thing.

Kevin C.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

A great CMS

Reviewed on 2019/12/06

Overall, Contenful is a great content management system that's easy to use, secure, and scalable.

Pros

- Contentful is exceptionally easy to use for engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Contenful is a headless CMS, which comes with endless benefits.

Cons

Previewing content prior to publication is limited. It's also less flexible for the non-engineer than other Content Management Systems (though this is probably a good thing).

David K.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Incredible content management system

Reviewed on 2020/04/06

Pros

Contentful is a fantastic tool for writing and managing content. It makes it easy to edit content dynamically. We used it to populate copy and graphics for a Facebook-based chatbot. The interface is intuitive and quick. 5 stars!

Cons

Nothing. It's tremendous. Takes a bit of time to learn how it works (like any new software).

Ketan M.

Contentful is so easy to use and integrate. I had my website up and running in no time!

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

Pros

The ease of use and functionality, paired with a great user interface. The fact you can create your own data structure and data relationships is so useful and enables complete flexibility within projects.

Cons

That it hasn't got anything that really annoys me :-) But, it could do with a better dashboard or something rather than the current "Space home" page.

Walter o. A.

Content providing for the 21st century

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

DAU proof of servicing content; GraphQL -> Gatsby & Contentful: just great to work with, maintenance a breeze; quick prototyping; webhooks!

Pros

Ease of use; interconnectibility -> Netlify, Gatsby, GraphQL, etc.

Cons

Please re-think monetization for spaces. For small companies....

Sofia S.
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Satisfied

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

The software is intuitive and easy to use, even for a beginner like me.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say.

• Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Good Value

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

It has a good balance of cost and features. Their API is feature rich allowing us to extend Contentful and tightly integrate it with our systems.

Cons

There is no true support for branching and merging of content. The 'sandbox' environment is helpful, but we have had to build our own custom scripts and processes to simulate branch and merge.

Very inflexible when it comes to styling changes, use only if you have plenty of engineers

Reviewed on 2017/04/01

Pros

It is impossible for users to create elements that are totally out of line with the corporate design. Contentful also loads faster than many other CMS.

Cons

There isn't much I like about Contentful. It is impossible to copy entire pages without a lot of effort, which makes it very time-consuming to create new pages. While you can re-use existing elements, the problem is that if you change them, they are changed everywhere, and there is no way to just copy an element in order to use it as a new element (i.e., changes you make to it don't affect the element you copied).

As others have mentioned before, it sometimes takes a quarter of an hour for changes you made to appear on the preview pages, which is just painful (Wordpress is pretty much instant). But by far the biggest pain is that there is no way for the user to simply access the CSS. We have to go back to our engineering team for every little tweak we want, even if it is just the padding of an element or the alignment of a certain style of text.

Another issue I have is that it is hard to figure out where on a new page you are while you are editing it. Unlike Wordpress, where you can see the overall structure of your page elements clearly on an overview page, you can only see the rows of the page on the overview in Contentful - you have no idea what the structure inside each row looks like until you click on it. That means you're getting disorientated quite quickly as to where you need to click to edit element X of the page.

Overall, I find Contentful terrible to use. It has a few benefits, but at least from a content management user experience those don't outweigh the significant downsides at all.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Contentful - Best CMS

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

Overall i can say best experience.I can highly recommend this to everyone.

Pros

I have used contentful from past 2.8 years and it is the best CMS.We can do content modelling easily as per the project requirement and add the data in the content is also easy.Any one can learn easily.There are localisation also which helps us to do multiple localisation project data entering insertion in one project space.Also we can provide the user roles as per the need.

Cons

One thing which i want to highlight is when we want to copy one space to another space the locales should be same than only we can clone the data.So this should be more user friendly as sometimes we cant change the locales if we have started working in some other locale and than want to copy the data from some other space.

Brent A.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

An Excellent CMS

Reviewed on 2020/04/30

Overall I find it a delight to work with. Highly recommended.

Pros

I love all the following: the Infrastructure as Code that allows me to define my models through software, the SDK that allows me to load or update content via automation, the apps that allow webhook integrations such as with Gatsby, Netlify and Github. Finally, I love that it is a SaaS offering where data backups and DB upgrades are not my problem!

Cons

Thee free tier allows me to make two CMS systems. It would be nice if the free tier offered, say, up to five. The first paid for tier feels pricey if all I need was simply that third "not-free" CMS. It would be great if they had a "per CMS" paid tier that allowed a third, fourth, fifth CMS (etc.) at $3.95/month each...or something like that.

Nick W.

CMS Contender

Reviewed on 2019/08/17

Compared to other CMS platforms out there, this one isn't a bad option to have.

Pros

If properly set up, it's easy to find and navigate sections and areas of your site you'd like to edit.

Cons

You can get lost if you don't know what you're doing.