3,8
3,7
Jon S.

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2020/10/10

We enjoy many features ProEst has to offer. There are many different ways you could use the software, from a pure budgeting stand point, to keeping historical data, to only writing formal proposals. ProEst gives you the freedom to customize how you want to use it.

Pros

ProEst gives you the ability to quickly turnover a budget or estimate by integrating take offs with your historical data and translating it into a report that can be emailed directly to the owner. All while your accounting is kept up to date if a budget or estimate is accepted. The ability to do takeoffs that build your estimate simultaneously has saved countless hours or extra work.

Cons

The software is cloud based, if internet is down or a glitch on their end occurs it could be frustrating. This is very rare however, and shouldn't direct your decision.

Response from ProEst

Thanks, Jon, for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear ProEst has been a good fit for your company.

Manuel G.
Industry: Design

Estimating Software build from the point of view of the contractor

Reviewed on 2015/11/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software is easy to understand and it truly meets and exceeds all of our expectation when it came time to turn in a bid . We are a building and design firm, the range of the work we bid goes from electrical, plumbing, HVAC to complete turn key. We appreciate the fact ProEst is constantly improving its functionalities and overall performance.

Cons

The issues we had over the years are the same issues we get with other software in our systems, updates sometimes fix one program but conflicts with others. Happy to said the issues were not critical nor catastrophic in our daily use of the program nor cause major delays in our bidding process.

Nate H.

Great potential, poor execution

Reviewed on 2019/05/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our experience with ProEst started good, and went downhill quickly. The salesman attached to our account was helpful and able to demonstrate the product well, but did not fully address any limitataions of the product he was selling, even after we described our intended use case. The big red flag was, when asked to be able to trial the software for a week (or less!), they were not able to honor that request. After purchase, the support was extremely lacking from the account management positions. Our trainer was showing us basic features that were explained many times in the purchasing process, and we were able to fully configure and understand the software without their help. The reason we will not be customers of this company is due to the absolutely disconnected support and development efforts. The company prides itself on it's future roadmap (including "AI"), but when confronted with low level usability issues (lack of keyboard shortcuts, copying data) they stated "it is not a priority... could be resolved in two weeks to six months". I have never had such a poor customer experience.

Pros

Our company is transitioning from self hosted, installed software to cloud SaaS products. This is one of the few estimation softwares that is completely cloud based.

The ability to route estimations through workflows, maintain a shared cost database, and produce good looking reports from the system were all high points. Even the user interface was clean and uncluttered.

Cons

The software lacks KEY features that limit it's usability. Our core issue was the inability to copy takeoff or assembly information from one page of a drawing to another. 100% of multifamily developments have shared elements between levels of the building, and to recreate these from scratch every time instead of copying them from another page wiped out all the time savings of assemblies and workflows. There is NO other estimation/ takeoff tool that lacks this functionality.

Additionally, there are no keyboard shortcuts (... in 2019). This is a significant slowdown when estimating large projects.

Helen M.

ProEst

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

Overall it is a great system, they have an awesome trainer that will work with you until you got it. Customer service is also real helpful.

Pros

I like the fact they have modernized the software to a cloud based system, also like the fact 2 people can work in the same estimate at the same time.

Cons

I think that they need to work on adding features, the reports are a little hard to manipulate especially when you are trying to allocate. Its a little overwhelming at first to figure out how to use.

Response from ProEst

Thank you, Helen, for taking the time to review ProEst. We appreciate your feedback. We're glad ProEst has been a good fit for your company and that you've found our trainer and customer service team helpful!

Israel B.

ProEst Review

Reviewed on 2016/11/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My company has recently purchased the Enterprise Version of ProEst. We have only started learning the system but have so far been very impressed with the functionality, ease of use and product value. The ability to do digital takeoff straight from the program, as well as the flexibility to edit / modify just about every piece of information on the system gives it an advantage to other programs i have used.

Pros

This is by far the easiest estimating program i have used thus far. Other pros include - Flexibility to edit almost everything; the large cache of report templates; the large database and pre-built assemblies; the built in digital takeoff; the bid day summary to use for sub-contractor bid tabulation

Cons

The preset costs are very generic (i.e. labor costs) - for large projects with heavy labor, this could throw off the labor estimate. In addition, the digital takeoff module, albeit very handy, is somewhat limited. It would be nice to have more flexibility to manually manipulate takeoffs, even after associating it with a digital takeoff. It would also be nice to be able to switch between different forms of measurement, right now you are only limited to the unit of measure determined by the line item for which you are taking off.

Sandeep M.

ProEst Review

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

ok

Pros

I can keep all my quotes at one place and easy to use.

Cons

There are so many things to improve. They can do lot with it. I have already suggested them a lot to change.

I want them to make it like excel format.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Brandon B.
Industry: Construction

Difficult software to use and generated ZERO takeoffs for our office. We wasted nearly $6000!

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/06/13

If they offered a Free Trial, there is zero chance I would have purchased the software. Mid way through my ownership they rolled out the cloud based application of the software and it was garbage, lost of glitches, very slow response, etc. If they dont offer a free trial, there is no money back guarantee (not even 24 hours), etc., you should probably ask why this is their policy. Anybody can get a customer, only the best can keep them.

Pros

There was honestly nothing I liked. It was a very bad experience, not to mention lightened the company bank account by almost $6,000.

Cons

Building an assembly from scratch is so difficult that they now have someone in house that does this for their customers because its so difficult, think about that. Setting the software up on my desktops was very time consuming and took their IT guys a few attempts. Its not as simply as downloading an executable, running it, entering the serial key and off to the races. The time investment was in the hours to set up PER machine. During demo is wasnt mentioned that building assemblies required programming of formulas to build the assembly.

Jon T.

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2017/02/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I was looking for a powerful software that we could use to build a system for our estimating process. ProEst was exactly what I was looking for. We are able to build a custom database that we can use to quickly and easily estimate projects with accuracy and consistency. I am very happy with my choice.

Pros

Ability to create a custom database and can be used to consistently produce quick estimates. I love the onscreen take off.

Cons

It takes a long time to set up the database, but this is to be expected with any software. It is a lot of work up front, but then makes things more efficient on the back end. I would like to see a year off free tech support included to answer question about how to use the product. Most of it is intuitive, but there are somethings I would like to do, but it takes me a while to figure out how to do them. It would have been nice to be able to pick up the phone and quickly get answers for the first year while I learned how to use all of the features.

Kirk K.

Ok but not great.

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

So so.

Pros

Nothing stands out. The desktop version seemed more complete while the cloud based seems like it was rushed out, missing key features that the desktop version had. Disappointed.

Cons

Clunky, poor flow of program through estimates, reports etc. No material cost table like the desktop which is a major con. Submitted requests, never hear back from support. No updating option when exporting to accounting, a feature that was part of the desktop version.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Good if not better than other estimating software. Much competition- But very reliable

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

Customer service gets big marks. Once I figured out how to easily put in bids and add-ons I figured out the rest. Separating onsites and offsites is very easy

Cons

A bit much to figure out. Wish it were simpler. How to add field extras and designating the responsible department was not originally clear.

Brian S.

iICON Const Procore Revirew

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Overall experience - I would rate the product 8 of of 10 for user capabilities. The scheduling program lacks tremendously; the estimating and couple other modules are completely unused, otherwise very capable program for managing vendors and clients. One of the better systems I have used (JE Edwards, Sage, Premivera, ect)

Pros

Vendor management, budgets, change events, change management, cost integration, document management, submittal processes, RFI processes

Cons

1, excessive separate modules rather than single page options as was 2017 version
2, lacks home page full client contact, lists only project info not people or their contact info
3, excessive message 404 errors and too much downtime on system
4, terrible schedule program; visually unable to have clients and vendors understand it

Response from ProEst

Thank you, Brian, for taking the time to review ProEst! We appreciate your feedback.

Travis M.
Industry: Construction

Overall good for the money

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Reporting
Predefined database's to fit specific company needs
Onscreen takeoff and estimating software in one
Cloud or Desktop

Cons

No live tech support or chat support. Must submit a support ticket and wait for a call back.
No way to change database and have it reflect on templates without updating templates individually
Training is not free

Jessica J.

Unprofessional Workmanship

Reviewed on 2020/10/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Very disappointed with our experience and will not refer any business associates. We will not be renewing our subscription.

Pros

We have been client for 10+ years. Today, we had a scheduled zoom meeting with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and while I was trying to get my audio to work, he stated "She isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer!" The unprofessionalism and lack of respect from a man to a woman is unfathomable. This world is ugly right now and people like him continue to make it ugly. I will not tolerate disrespect in the work field, I am a professional and expect to be treated as one.

Cons

There has been many glitches through the portal since we switched to the new iCloud system. We've been patient and kind. We are no longer able to populate the proposal to send to our clients who are expecting their bid today.

Joseph P.

Proest

Reviewed on 2017/10/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Everything from start to finish can be done. A lot of different tools to use. The tech support is wonderful.

Cons

Was a little tough to learn. Pricing is a little expensive. Had to schedule training classes. I had to wait a few times for tech support to call me back.

Seth W.

Very Helpful But Not Quite Perfect

Reviewed on 2017/02/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have been using ProEst for the last year and have for the most part been very happy. The customer support has been very good. I do have one complaint which may seem petty, but it is an annoyance. The program takes a while to load and is password protected. Occasionally when trying to switch between estimates or screens I inadvertently will hit the close window button which closes the program. On bad days this can really raise your blood pressure. A are you sure you would like to exit box would be very helpful.

Michael C.

Decent Software for the Money

Reviewed on 2017/01/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Proest is software that has a fairly steep learning curve but when mastered is pretty powerful. It requires the building of all of the assemblies that you, as a builder or subcontractor, actually need. If you buy the database of assemblies you'll at least have those to start with. Building the formulas behind the assemblies can make you want to cry. However, if you like you can use simple unit takeoffs and apply a cost to them later. Proest can be as complex or as simple as you'd like for it to be and for the money, it's a pretty good program. It takes quite a bit of time to get acclimated to it and in my opinion as a GC it makes a bit more sense as an estimating platform for a specialty building subcontractor who is self-performing all of their work...ie concrete, masonry, framing/drywall, etc. than it does for a GC but you can make it work.

Pros

Bid day function.

Cons

Steep, steep, steep learning curve.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Mike S.

Support is excelent

Reviewed on 2016/08/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The customer support is outstanding. Training was good.

Cons

It cannot share data bases. i.e. piping, electrical, and civil are separate files that must be added together outside the software. Add features to allow the exporting of database to other software, so it can be manipulated. Or add the tools to the software. I would like to add much of the existing excel files to the data base.

Dennis G.
Industry: Construction

Overwhelming at first, but worth the effort to push through.

Reviewed on 2017/07/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Great product. It is very overwhelming at first. However, if you push through it will be rewarding on the other side. It took me a while. I would go home frustrated and felt like we made a mistake purchasing the product. However, it eventually sunk in and now we are excited to have produced our first bid and looking forward to others.

Pros

The endless possibilities to produce what is needed. As I explore the product I expose new ways to obtain helpful information.

Cons

The product is VERY complex and takes time to understand. However, once an understanding of the product is grasped, the product becomes very helpful and decreases the time needed for an accurate bid.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Aniel M.
Industry: Construction

The software is very comprehensive

Reviewed on 2015/07/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The best part about the software is the depth at which you can estimate especially with all the factors that you can take into account, whether you are using existing ones or custom ones. That, coupled with the extensive cost database makes for a solid package of available information where you can track costs not only in terms of material, labor, equipment but according to divisions, assemblies, or even at a per room level. The software provides a good deal of flexibility in being able to create and customize the data to fit your work needs.

Cons

It was surprising that it wasn't as similar to excel as I expected. Although the layout is similar, manipulating columns,rows and data is different. Once you're familiarized with the tools and order of operations for the different tasks it becomes a very useful tool.

Clint C.
Industry: Construction

Initial walk through was well done. Purchase was easy and the turnaround was same day. Had a few problems getting installed but turned out to be my computer not the product. Six trianing courses were included in purchase so we are still going through thos

Reviewed on 2017/04/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of takeoffs and assemblies are plenty detailed
RS Means cost data embedded in the program makes pricing/budget very easy
Multiple ways to view information in reports
Customer service

Cons

Install was a little tricky
Missing a few assemblies I would like to have (minor issue)
learning curve at the very beginning, but became very proficient after a few trial and error moments

Beth L.

ProEst is OK

Reviewed on 2018/02/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our suggestions for improvement are taken seriously.

Pros

It's easy to use and the customer support is really great. The Report Center was the draw to the software (and that it's cloud based).

Cons

The report center isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. I thought we could do more with the reports, but the capabilities are rather limited.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

John K.
Industry: Construction

If I could not figure out an issue they would call and get on remote s

Reviewed on 2016/08/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Great support from the support team. They call you back right away and they seem to care and want to take care of any issues. They are good at explaining the program or any issues that you might have.The program is easy to use and I have never used an estimating program before this one so I know if I picked up easily anyone can. Training was top notch!

Cons

The assembly could use some reworking. There could be more assembly made as well.

Tucker H.

Pro Est

Reviewed on 2017/06/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I've really enjoyed getting to know the software and putting it to use for my every day estimating operations.

Pros

They have thought of everything. Every line item you can think of is included, and they can all be altered to align perfectly with your business. Customer service has been excellent as well.

Cons

You must receive training before being able to utilize all of the functions of the software. It can be rather difficult to use unless someone shows you first hand.

Chris A.
Industry: Construction

Efficient but kind of clunky.

Reviewed on 2015/12/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

ProEst is a pretty solid, and incredibly deep take off program with very helpful and responsive customer support. It makes drawing takeoffs simpler and allows multilayer markups on a single pdf, estimating and responding to RFPs is far less time consuming.

Cons

The user interface is cumbersome and has too many window pop ups. The system will occasionally lock out users which can be a pain.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Stephen B.

Poor Takeoff Software

Reviewed on 2015/08/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Prompt customer support - unfortunately, there wasn't much they could do about the poor operation of the software

Cons

Constant glitches in the userface. This takeoff software is not at all a polished finished product. I'm sure the Project Management integration is great, but we only needed the takeoff software, and it's been a huge letdown. Takeoff layers & text arbitrarily fall behind each other, text size can be huge or tiny & you can't change it. If the scale is metric you are forced to use metric takeoff numbers - it's the little things that make you fiddle around & waste a lot of time. This product feels unfinished - not 40 yrs old. (using a PC by the way - don't blame it on me)

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10