Brandon B.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Difficult software to use and generated ZERO takeoffs for our office. We wasted nearly $6000!

Reviewed on 2020/06/13

If they offered a Free Trial, there is zero chance I would have purchased the software. Mid way through my ownership they rolled out the cloud based application of the software and it was garbage, lost of glitches, very slow response, etc. If they dont offer a free trial, there is no money back guarantee (not even 24 hours), etc., you should probably ask why this is their policy. Anybody can get a customer, only the best can keep them.

Pros

There was honestly nothing I liked. It was a very bad experience, not to mention lightened the company bank account by almost $6,000.

Cons

Building an assembly from scratch is so difficult that they now have someone in house that does this for their customers because its so difficult, think about that. Setting the software up on my desktops was very time consuming and took their IT guys a few attempts. Its not as simply as downloading an executable, running it, entering the serial key and off to the races. The time investment was in the hours to set up PER machine. During demo is wasnt mentioned that building assemblies required programming of formulas to build the assembly.

Angela M.

ProEst Rating

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

This is a friendly software for estimation purpose but, they have to improve a lot and make it use like excel.

Pros

Proest has a inbuilt database and also you can create your own database so that you can use this again and again for your estimation in one click. This software is very friendly and easy to use.

Cons

Adding of line items is not possible between two line items. You have to start over if you want to add between lines .

It not very much compatible with integrating accounting software like Foundation.

Response from ProEst

Hi Angela, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We're glad to hear that you've found ProEst to be user-friendly. If you're still experiencing trouble integrating with Foundation, don't hesitate to reach out to our support team (https://proest.com/submit-a-support-case/) or your account manager.

Aniel M.

The software is very comprehensive

Reviewed on 2015/07/27

Pros

The best part about the software is the depth at which you can estimate especially with all the factors that you can take into account, whether you are using existing ones or custom ones. That, coupled with the extensive cost database makes for a solid package of available information where you can track costs not only in terms of material, labor, equipment but according to divisions, assemblies, or even at a per room level. The software provides a good deal of flexibility in being able to create and customize the data to fit your work needs.

Cons

It was surprising that it wasn't as similar to excel as I expected. Although the layout is similar, manipulating columns,rows and data is different. Once you're familiarized with the tools and order of operations for the different tasks it becomes a very useful tool.

Gregory R.

ProEst gets the job done!

Reviewed on 2016/07/16

Pros

What I like about ProEst the most is how user-friendly the software is. I also like that the software is integrated with onscreen digital take off, and that it integrates directly to your estimate take off sheet all in the same software program. They also have good customer support.

Cons

What I don't like is that you have to pay for training. You also have to pay for custom reports. In the long run the training pays off, and if the custom report saves you time and/or money than they pay off as well.

Amy T.
  • Industry: Design

Many software errors.

Reviewed on 2015/01/23

Pros

Support is fast to reply to your requests and very friendly.

Cons

The software does not function as intuitively as it appears to in demos and training videos. There are many, many error messages, some of which cannot be resolved. I had to start over on an estimate twice due to software glitches.

Response from Jeff

It's unfortunate that they did not have a good experience but we really do not support Mac machines which were utilized by this client. A PC is really needed to best utilize ProEst and its functionality. If the client buys a PC we will gladly extend their service contract at no cost.

Leandrew E.

Daily User

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

Pros

Proposal Writting is made easy and summary reports.

Cons

Learning curve when first using this software. some features from ProEst did not transfer to the cloud version.

Response from ProEst

Thanks, LeAndrew, for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We're happy to hear that ProEst has made proposal writing and reporting easy.

Jon T.

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

I was looking for a powerful software that we could use to build a system for our estimating process. ProEst was exactly what I was looking for. We are able to build a custom database that we can use to quickly and easily estimate projects with accuracy and consistency. I am very happy with my choice.

Pros

Ability to create a custom database and can be used to consistently produce quick estimates. I love the onscreen take off.

Cons

It takes a long time to set up the database, but this is to be expected with any software. It is a lot of work up front, but then makes things more efficient on the back end. I would like to see a year off free tech support included to answer question about how to use the product. Most of it is intuitive, but there are somethings I would like to do, but it takes me a while to figure out how to do them. It would have been nice to be able to pick up the phone and quickly get answers for the first year while I learned how to use all of the features.

Manuel G.
  • Industry: Design

Estimating Software build from the point of view of the contractor

Reviewed on 2015/11/04

Pros

The software is easy to understand and it truly meets and exceeds all of our expectation when it came time to turn in a bid . We are a building and design firm, the range of the work we bid goes from electrical, plumbing, HVAC to complete turn key. We appreciate the fact ProEst is constantly improving its functionalities and overall performance.

Cons

The issues we had over the years are the same issues we get with other software in our systems, updates sometimes fix one program but conflicts with others. Happy to said the issues were not critical nor catastrophic in our daily use of the program nor cause major delays in our bidding process.

Seth W.

Very Helpful But Not Quite Perfect

Reviewed on 2017/02/18

I have been using ProEst for the last year and have for the most part been very happy. The customer support has been very good. I do have one complaint which may seem petty, but it is an annoyance. The program takes a while to load and is password protected. Occasionally when trying to switch between estimates or screens I inadvertently will hit the close window button which closes the program. On bad days this can really raise your blood pressure. A are you sure you would like to exit box would be very helpful.

Grant R.

Did not perform they way it was sold to us

Reviewed on 2017/02/04

We wanted an estimating software that would be for a general contractor and therefore not so detailed. We also needed it to function with our virtual server. the sales people said it could accomplish all of these goals only to find out once we purchased it and started training that it did not do any of these things. We canceled our order after 2 weeks and they would not refund any of our fees.

Sandeep M.

ProEst Review

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

ok

Pros

I can keep all my quotes at one place and easy to use.

Cons

There are so many things to improve. They can do lot with it. I have already suggested them a lot to change.

I want them to make it like excel format.

Response from ProEst

Thank you, Sandeep, for taking the time to review ProEst! We're happy to hear that you've found our platform easy to use. We understand that switching from Excel to estimating software can be an adjustment, but we hope that you've found ProEst to be a more streamlined and accurate solution for your company.

Paul B.

View on PROEST

Reviewed on 2020/11/23

Its easy to use but, the team has to improve lot of things to this software like it should work like Microsoft Excel

Pros

Its easy to use estimating software and saves our time in creating a price proposal to several customers of our company and easily keep track those at one place.

Cons

Its not compatible with accounting software and everyday you will find some problem with print, page setup and adding line items to the proposal.

Response from ProEst

Thank you, Paul, for taking the time to write a review. We're happy to hear our platform has saved you time on your estimates! If you're still experiencing issues integrating with your accounting software, please reach out to our support team (https://proest.com/submit-a-support-case/) or your account manager for assistance! ProEst integrates with various accounting software, including Foundation, Acumatica, and Quickbooks, and our team should be able to help you find a solution to your problem.

Joseph P.

Proest

Reviewed on 2017/10/20

Pros

Everything from start to finish can be done. A lot of different tools to use. The tech support is wonderful.

Cons

Was a little tough to learn. Pricing is a little expensive. Had to schedule training classes. I had to wait a few times for tech support to call me back.

Michael C.

Decent Software for the Money

Reviewed on 2017/01/06

Proest is software that has a fairly steep learning curve but when mastered is pretty powerful. It requires the building of all of the assemblies that you, as a builder or subcontractor, actually need. If you buy the database of assemblies you'll at least have those to start with. Building the formulas behind the assemblies can make you want to cry. However, if you like you can use simple unit takeoffs and apply a cost to them later. Proest can be as complex or as simple as you'd like for it to be and for the money, it's a pretty good program. It takes quite a bit of time to get acclimated to it and in my opinion as a GC it makes a bit more sense as an estimating platform for a specialty building subcontractor who is self-performing all of their work...ie concrete, masonry, framing/drywall, etc. than it does for a GC but you can make it work.

Pros

Bid day function.

Cons

Steep, steep, steep learning curve.

Beth L.

ProEst is OK

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

Our suggestions for improvement are taken seriously.

Pros

It's easy to use and the customer support is really great. The Report Center was the draw to the software (and that it's cloud based).

Cons

The report center isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. I thought we could do more with the reports, but the capabilities are rather limited.

John K.

If I could not figure out an issue they would call and get on remote s

Reviewed on 2016/08/19

Pros

Great support from the support team. They call you back right away and they seem to care and want to take care of any issues. They are good at explaining the program or any issues that you might have.The program is easy to use and I have never used an estimating program before this one so I know if I picked up easily anyone can. Training was top notch!

Cons

The assembly could use some reworking. There could be more assembly made as well.

Tucker H.

Pro Est

Reviewed on 2017/06/16

I've really enjoyed getting to know the software and putting it to use for my every day estimating operations.

Pros

They have thought of everything. Every line item you can think of is included, and they can all be altered to align perfectly with your business. Customer service has been excellent as well.

Cons

You must receive training before being able to utilize all of the functions of the software. It can be rather difficult to use unless someone shows you first hand.

Stephen B.

Poor Takeoff Software

Reviewed on 2015/08/20

Pros

Prompt customer support - unfortunately, there wasn't much they could do about the poor operation of the software

Cons

Constant glitches in the userface. This takeoff software is not at all a polished finished product. I'm sure the Project Management integration is great, but we only needed the takeoff software, and it's been a huge letdown. Takeoff layers & text arbitrarily fall behind each other, text size can be huge or tiny & you can't change it. If the scale is metric you are forced to use metric takeoff numbers - it's the little things that make you fiddle around & waste a lot of time. This product feels unfinished - not 40 yrs old. (using a PC by the way - don't blame it on me)

Hank A.

Easy to Use and Quick to Learn

Reviewed on 2015/11/23

Pros

I liked that this software is very simple and easy, and we had free training sessions which was very useful.
I also find the take off system and tools very powerful and the database is huge.

Cons

Some of the items have very detailed costs items which i don't need

Israel B.

ProEst Review

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

My company has recently purchased the Enterprise Version of ProEst. We have only started learning the system but have so far been very impressed with the functionality, ease of use and product value. The ability to do digital takeoff straight from the program, as well as the flexibility to edit / modify just about every piece of information on the system gives it an advantage to other programs i have used.

Pros

This is by far the easiest estimating program i have used thus far. Other pros include - Flexibility to edit almost everything; the large cache of report templates; the large database and pre-built assemblies; the built in digital takeoff; the bid day summary to use for sub-contractor bid tabulation

Cons

The preset costs are very generic (i.e. labor costs) - for large projects with heavy labor, this could throw off the labor estimate. In addition, the digital takeoff module, albeit very handy, is somewhat limited. It would be nice to have more flexibility to manually manipulate takeoffs, even after associating it with a digital takeoff. It would also be nice to be able to switch between different forms of measurement, right now you are only limited to the unit of measure determined by the line item for which you are taking off.

Kirk K.

Ok but not great.

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

So so.

Pros

Nothing stands out. The desktop version seemed more complete while the cloud based seems like it was rushed out, missing key features that the desktop version had. Disappointed.

Cons

Clunky, poor flow of program through estimates, reports etc. No material cost table like the desktop which is a major con. Submitted requests, never hear back from support. No updating option when exporting to accounting, a feature that was part of the desktop version.

Response from ProEst

Hi Kirk, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about ProEst. We're sorry to hear that you've missed some of the old features from before ProEst switched to the Cloud. We hope that our many product updates over the last several months have resolved some of your issues. We're constantly rolling out new features, but if you're still experiencing problems, please reach out to your account manager and they'll be happy to assist you.

Good if not better than other estimating software. Much competition- But very reliable

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

Customer service gets big marks. Once I figured out how to easily put in bids and add-ons I figured out the rest. Separating onsites and offsites is very easy

Cons

A bit much to figure out. Wish it were simpler. How to add field extras and designating the responsible department was not originally clear.

Jason E.

ProEst Analysis

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

Its easy to use but, they have to update lot of things make it use friendly.

Pros

We can create all our proposal or quotes at one place. Easy to use.

Cons

Difficult to edit or insert line items with the created proposal. Lot of work to add Client inforamation. Print page setup is not easy.

Response from ProEst

Jason, we appreciate your feedback! We're happy to hear that ProEst has been a user-friendly solution for your estimating. We hope that recent product updates, such as the introduction of our CRM feature, have helped to make it even easier to use. If you're still experiencing difficulties, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team at https://proest.com/submit-a-support-case/

Travis M.

Overall good for the money

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Reporting
Predefined database's to fit specific company needs
Onscreen takeoff and estimating software in one
Cloud or Desktop

Cons

No live tech support or chat support. Must submit a support ticket and wait for a call back.
No way to change database and have it reflect on templates without updating templates individually
Training is not free

Mike S.

Support is excelent

Reviewed on 2016/08/25

Pros

The customer support is outstanding. Training was good.

Cons

It cannot share data bases. i.e. piping, electrical, and civil are separate files that must be added together outside the software. Add features to allow the exporting of database to other software, so it can be manipulated. Or add the tools to the software. I would like to add much of the existing excel files to the data base.