ProEst Reviews

ProEst

Construction estimating software

3.9/5 (31 reviews)
Manuel G.

Estimating Software build from the point of view of the contractor

Reviewed on 2015/11/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software is easy to understand and it truly meets and exceeds all of our expectation when it came time to turn in a bid . We are a building and design firm, the range of the work we bid goes from electrical, plumbing, HVAC to complete turn key. We appreciate the fact ProEst is constantly improving its functionalities and overall performance.

Cons

The issues we had over the years are the same issues we get with other software in our systems, updates sometimes fix one program but conflicts with others. Happy to said the issues were not critical nor catastrophic in our daily use of the program nor cause major delays in our bidding process.

Nate H.

Great potential, poor execution

Reviewed on 2019/05/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our experience with ProEst started good, and went downhill quickly. The salesman attached to our account was helpful and able to demonstrate the product well, but did not fully address any limitataions of the product he was selling, even after we described our intended use case. The big red flag was, when asked to be able to trial the software for a week (or less!), they were not able to honor that request. After purchase, the support was extremely lacking from the account management positions. Our trainer was showing us basic features that were explained many times in the purchasing process, and we were able to fully configure and understand the software without their help. The reason we will not be customers of this company is due to the absolutely disconnected support and development efforts. The company prides itself on it's future roadmap (including "AI"), but when confronted with low level usability issues (lack of keyboard shortcuts, copying data) they stated "it is not a priority... could be resolved in two weeks to six months". I have never had such a poor customer experience.

Pros

Our company is transitioning from self hosted, installed software to cloud SaaS products. This is one of the few estimation softwares that is completely cloud based.

The ability to route estimations through workflows, maintain a shared cost database, and produce good looking reports from the system were all high points. Even the user interface was clean and uncluttered.

Cons

The software lacks KEY features that limit it's usability. Our core issue was the inability to copy takeoff or assembly information from one page of a drawing to another. 100% of multifamily developments have shared elements between levels of the building, and to recreate these from scratch every time instead of copying them from another page wiped out all the time savings of assemblies and workflows. There is NO other estimation/ takeoff tool that lacks this functionality.

Additionally, there are no keyboard shortcuts (... in 2019). This is a significant slowdown when estimating large projects.

0.0/10
Israel B.

ProEst Review

Reviewed on 2016/11/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My company has recently purchased the Enterprise Version of ProEst. We have only started learning the system but have so far been very impressed with the functionality, ease of use and product value. The ability to do digital takeoff straight from the program, as well as the flexibility to edit / modify just about every piece of information on the system gives it an advantage to other programs i have used.

Pros

This is by far the easiest estimating program i have used thus far. Other pros include - Flexibility to edit almost everything; the large cache of report templates; the large database and pre-built assemblies; the built in digital takeoff; the bid day summary to use for sub-contractor bid tabulation

Cons

The preset costs are very generic (i.e. labor costs) - for large projects with heavy labor, this could throw off the labor estimate. In addition, the digital takeoff module, albeit very handy, is somewhat limited. It would be nice to have more flexibility to manually manipulate takeoffs, even after associating it with a digital takeoff. It would also be nice to be able to switch between different forms of measurement, right now you are only limited to the unit of measure determined by the line item for which you are taking off.

Jon T.

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2017/02/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I was looking for a powerful software that we could use to build a system for our estimating process. ProEst was exactly what I was looking for. We are able to build a custom database that we can use to quickly and easily estimate projects with accuracy and consistency. I am very happy with my choice.

Pros

Ability to create a custom database and can be used to consistently produce quick estimates. I love the onscreen take off.

Cons

It takes a long time to set up the database, but this is to be expected with any software. It is a lot of work up front, but then makes things more efficient on the back end. I would like to see a year off free tech support included to answer question about how to use the product. Most of it is intuitive, but there are somethings I would like to do, but it takes me a while to figure out how to do them. It would have been nice to be able to pick up the phone and quickly get answers for the first year while I learned how to use all of the features.

Travis M.

Overall good for the money

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Reporting
Predefined database's to fit specific company needs
Onscreen takeoff and estimating software in one
Cloud or Desktop

Cons

No live tech support or chat support. Must submit a support ticket and wait for a call back.
No way to change database and have it reflect on templates without updating templates individually
Training is not free

Good if not better than other estimating software. Much competition- But very reliable

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

Customer service gets big marks. Once I figured out how to easily put in bids and add-ons I figured out the rest. Separating onsites and offsites is very easy

Cons

A bit much to figure out. Wish it were simpler. How to add field extras and designating the responsible department was not originally clear.

Joseph P.

Proest

Reviewed on 2017/10/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Everything from start to finish can be done. A lot of different tools to use. The tech support is wonderful.

Cons

Was a little tough to learn. Pricing is a little expensive. Had to schedule training classes. I had to wait a few times for tech support to call me back.

Seth W.

Very Helpful But Not Quite Perfect

Reviewed on 2017/02/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have been using ProEst for the last year and have for the most part been very happy. The customer support has been very good. I do have one complaint which may seem petty, but it is an annoyance. The program takes a while to load and is password protected. Occasionally when trying to switch between estimates or screens I inadvertently will hit the close window button which closes the program. On bad days this can really raise your blood pressure. A are you sure you would like to exit box would be very helpful.

Michael C.

Decent Software for the Money

Reviewed on 2017/01/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Proest is software that has a fairly steep learning curve but when mastered is pretty powerful. It requires the building of all of the assemblies that you, as a builder or subcontractor, actually need. If you buy the database of assemblies you'll at least have those to start with. Building the formulas behind the assemblies can make you want to cry. However, if you like you can use simple unit takeoffs and apply a cost to them later. Proest can be as complex or as simple as you'd like for it to be and for the money, it's a pretty good program. It takes quite a bit of time to get acclimated to it and in my opinion as a GC it makes a bit more sense as an estimating platform for a specialty building subcontractor who is self-performing all of their work...ie concrete, masonry, framing/drywall, etc. than it does for a GC but you can make it work.

Pros

Bid day function.

Cons

Steep, steep, steep learning curve.

5.0/10
Mike S.

Support is excelent

Reviewed on 2016/08/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The customer support is outstanding. Training was good.

Cons

It cannot share data bases. i.e. piping, electrical, and civil are separate files that must be added together outside the software. Add features to allow the exporting of database to other software, so it can be manipulated. Or add the tools to the software. I would like to add much of the existing excel files to the data base.

Dennis G.

Overwhelming at first, but worth the effort to push through.

Reviewed on 2017/07/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Great product. It is very overwhelming at first. However, if you push through it will be rewarding on the other side. It took me a while. I would go home frustrated and felt like we made a mistake purchasing the product. However, it eventually sunk in and now we are excited to have produced our first bid and looking forward to others.

Pros

The endless possibilities to produce what is needed. As I explore the product I expose new ways to obtain helpful information.

Cons

The product is VERY complex and takes time to understand. However, once an understanding of the product is grasped, the product becomes very helpful and decreases the time needed for an accurate bid.

Aniel M.

The software is very comprehensive

Reviewed on 2015/07/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The best part about the software is the depth at which you can estimate especially with all the factors that you can take into account, whether you are using existing ones or custom ones. That, coupled with the extensive cost database makes for a solid package of available information where you can track costs not only in terms of material, labor, equipment but according to divisions, assemblies, or even at a per room level. The software provides a good deal of flexibility in being able to create and customize the data to fit your work needs.

Cons

It was surprising that it wasn't as similar to excel as I expected. Although the layout is similar, manipulating columns,rows and data is different. Once you're familiarized with the tools and order of operations for the different tasks it becomes a very useful tool.

Clint C.

Initial walk through was well done. Purchase was easy and the turnaround was same day. Had a few problems getting installed but turned out to be my computer not the product. Six trianing courses were included in purchase so we are still going through thos

Reviewed on 2017/04/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of takeoffs and assemblies are plenty detailed
RS Means cost data embedded in the program makes pricing/budget very easy
Multiple ways to view information in reports
Customer service

Cons

Install was a little tricky
Missing a few assemblies I would like to have (minor issue)
learning curve at the very beginning, but became very proficient after a few trial and error moments

Beth L.

ProEst is OK

Reviewed on 2018/02/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our suggestions for improvement are taken seriously.

Pros

It's easy to use and the customer support is really great. The Report Center was the draw to the software (and that it's cloud based).

Cons

The report center isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. I thought we could do more with the reports, but the capabilities are rather limited.

5.0/10
John K.

If I could not figure out an issue they would call and get on remote s

Reviewed on 2016/08/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Great support from the support team. They call you back right away and they seem to care and want to take care of any issues. They are good at explaining the program or any issues that you might have.The program is easy to use and I have never used an estimating program before this one so I know if I picked up easily anyone can. Training was top notch!

Cons

The assembly could use some reworking. There could be more assembly made as well.

Tucker H.

Pro Est

Reviewed on 2017/06/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I've really enjoyed getting to know the software and putting it to use for my every day estimating operations.

Pros

They have thought of everything. Every line item you can think of is included, and they can all be altered to align perfectly with your business. Customer service has been excellent as well.

Cons

You must receive training before being able to utilize all of the functions of the software. It can be rather difficult to use unless someone shows you first hand.

Chris A.

Efficient but kind of clunky.

Reviewed on 2015/12/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

ProEst is a pretty solid, and incredibly deep take off program with very helpful and responsive customer support. It makes drawing takeoffs simpler and allows multilayer markups on a single pdf, estimating and responding to RFPs is far less time consuming.

Cons

The user interface is cumbersome and has too many window pop ups. The system will occasionally lock out users which can be a pain.

Stephen B.

Poor Takeoff Software

Reviewed on 2015/08/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Prompt customer support - unfortunately, there wasn't much they could do about the poor operation of the software

Cons

Constant glitches in the userface. This takeoff software is not at all a polished finished product. I'm sure the Project Management integration is great, but we only needed the takeoff software, and it's been a huge letdown. Takeoff layers & text arbitrarily fall behind each other, text size can be huge or tiny & you can't change it. If the scale is metric you are forced to use metric takeoff numbers - it's the little things that make you fiddle around & waste a lot of time. This product feels unfinished - not 40 yrs old. (using a PC by the way - don't blame it on me)

2.0/10
Michael G.

Liars

Reviewed on 2018/02/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

They are not truthful in their abilities and they sold us a server based version which when they started training they wouldn’t give us and wanted us on the cloud which has very little functionality. Had to fight with them for a month to get the server base and they said they wouldn’t support in the near future plus they never gave us the databases that they claim to have. They are a rip off artist so avoid at all cost.

Pros

There is absolutely nothing we liked about this product or company except the sales pitch and presentation.

Cons

If you are an mep contractor this is not the software for you. They say they have their on databases but after many request they could never provide them. They wanted us to build all databases from scratch which would require a full time person about 6 to 8 months due to the number of databases you would need. They don’t listen to the customer and we finally just uninstalled the software and broke off communication with them

C.k. S.

ProEst gives us an advantage over our competition.

Reviewed on 2013/12/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The ease of use and ability to perform quick takeoffs has sped up the productivity and accuracy of our bids.

Cons

We are a Mac-based company and have been using this product via parallels on a Windows-based platform. Although we've requested they develop a Mac version, it doesn't sound like it's in their future. We will be heading in a new direction this year because running two operating systems simultaneously bogs our systems down too much and ProEst is the only reason we run Windows.

Gregory R.

ProEst gets the job done!

Reviewed on 2016/07/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

What I like about ProEst the most is how user-friendly the software is. I also like that the software is integrated with onscreen digital take off, and that it integrates directly to your estimate take off sheet all in the same software program. They also have good customer support.

Cons

What I don't like is that you have to pay for training. You also have to pay for custom reports. In the long run the training pays off, and if the custom report saves you time and/or money than they pay off as well.

Justin H.

Pro Est Estimating Software is a good deal for the money

Reviewed on 2015/05/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Excellent customer service. In the rare events when we have questions or issues, customer service usually returns calls within 1 hour.

Cons

Easy on screen take off. Unit prices are fairly reliable and based on RS Means data.

Chad B.

ProEst Estimating Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The larger Data Base makes takeoffs easy

Cons

Material Pricing, They can't set average cost due to the every changing market.

Milan V.

Reviewed on 2013/08/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I've have implemented this software in the residential home building industry. By estimating the budgets for newly designed product, it has literally saved the company hundreds of thousands of dollars. The estimates proved to be so accurate, we used the numbers from the trade budgets (42 trades) to negotiate contracts in our procurement process. The trade budgets generated provided final sales pricing with gross profit margins to our exact expectations. It all about how you set-up the software.

Great software for quantity takeoffs

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Pros

This tool was easy to use for quantity takeoffs. We use this tool to calculate dimensions ad areas from plans quickly and easily,

Cons

There are many other tools that offer a measuring tool plus more, while the additional capabilities of this software are limited.