OutSystems Reviews

Remco
Remco
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Best experience ever with a development environment

Reviewed on 2016/03/11

I've used the Outsystems platform for more than 8 years now. Over the years you can see the quality of the platform and speed of development improving. I use the product to improve business processes and to reduce human interaction during processes by automation of repetitive tasks.

The problems that can't be solved by the platform directly can always be solved by using a 3rd party extension that can be integrated into the platform.

Outsystems can handle all types of applications from single user to large usergroups (more than 3000 concurrent users accessing the same application).

I've not yet seen a competitor of Outsystems that works as good or better and has the same or better support (from the company as well as the community). So for me this is still the platform to work with.

Pros

There is not just one thing I like about the Outsystems Platform. I like the ease -of-use to build applications and the speed of deployment to production, The out-of-the-box Analytics to monitor the performance, the quality of the supportdesk and the active community.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like about the platform is the mystery around new versions. I would love to see a roadmap with a timeline for new functionalities and bugfixes. In relation to this I would also like to see from the Development Team which Ideas that are posted on the forum are put on the backlog and which will never be delivered.

Response from OutSystems

Remco, thank you so much for your review and for ranking OutSystems so high compared to the the competition. We strive to continually deliver better product and services and to really partner with our customers, therefore we really appreciate your support.

John
John

One of the most efficient Mobile device application development environments

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Outsystems was chosen as a platform to rewrite a legacy product developed over 30 years and bring it into the cloud. It has been a really good choice for an organisation that had no web or cloud experience and has helped avoid many of the basic mistakes that could otherwise have been made. Whist there are some limitations on flexibility and price the benefits and speed to market far out way these.

Pros

The Outsystems development environment it very easy to use for anyone with previous development experience as well as being a great place for those with little or no development experience to come up to speed quickly.
• Allows fast prototyping whilst keeping good consistency and a polished appearance
• Provides a good balance between continual deployment and traditional dev-qa-prod staging
• Enforces inter module dependency integrity
• Enabled good UI-Business-Data separation whilst still allowing for RAD
• Good merging and conflict detection when multiple devs are working within the same module
• Projects and applications are rock solid and stable once released
• Easy to bring non Outsystems developers up to speed
• Realy good certification and training material

Cons

• Priced at the high end and not cost effective for small scale development
• Shows some signs of instability in the publishing process with very large and complex projects
• On the PaaS version you are heavily restricted on access to the infrastructure and cannot get access to simple functions such as SQL replication or database maintenance options.
• Lack of skilled developers with pre existing Outsystems knowledge.

Bhagvan

Outsystems review

Reviewed on 2019/03/31

Out systems is good needs improvement on user interface and navigation.

Out systems is good needs improvement on user interface and navigation.

Pros

Outsystems software is great and has good features in mobile app design & development, services design and development.

Cons

Outsystems needs improvement in developer experience and design UI front.

Vitor Emanuel
Vitor Emanuel

10 year software development with Outsystems

Reviewed on 2018/04/05

Pros

Outsystems enables software development to be way more faster compared with common development using C#.NET or other languages.
Integrations with external systems with SOAP and REST are easy to be implemented off the shell, but a developer can always implement specific libraries for other integrations.
It's easy to make simple queries but it's also possible to create specific database scripts (T-SQL, etc) and run them from the platform, if necessary.
It's also easy to implement a good framework architecture with Outsystems, since modules can be easily reused by different End User screens.

Cons

As it is very simple to develop applications with Outsystems, it can also be the source of some performance problems if the developer does not have much experience. But that's not a specific and unique problem of this technology.

Brian
Brian
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Powerful tool for moving from ideas to prototypes to MVPs

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

Overall I have enjoyed the time I've spent developing in Outsystems very much. It takes a lot of the tedious mind-numbing work out of the process and lets you focus on creating awesome solutions.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to get a prototype up and running in days or even hours/minutes. To be able to put something in your clients hands that they can see and interact with so quickly is very impactful. From there, making changes/improvements in an iterative fashion is very comfortable.

Cons

In multi-tenant applications I've found that scaling can be an issue in regard to views generated for each tenant and those being updated with each release. In a traditional sense the read uncommitted setting on SQL server is something to adjust to and not exactly something I felt comfortable with (but I understand why the platform does it).

Garth
Garth
  • Industry: Insurance

Simple To The Point Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Overall I highly recommend it for business projects and people who need to develop fast. But for those who like writing the code themselves like me. You will probably end up using the platform and coding stuff on the side like me. So I really like what they have built and highly recommend investing some time into learning a bit about the platform. :D

Pros

Speed of development is insane. Outsystems really cuts dev time to a minimum. The speed that you can build things from the Functionality that is built into the system is really good. I use the platform at work for web dev. But it offers app dev as well and for android and ios in one build. No need to build different builds or versions for different platforms. One build covers android and ios. Overall there functionality is fantastic.

Cons

It get's kind of complex as you get more in depth as to what it is you are capable of doing with the platform. But like everything you can be average or great and if you wanna be great you gonna have to put in the time to learn.
The biggest personal downfall of the system is that it takes away a lot of the actual coding. For me this is more of a preference as I personally love to sit and crunch code myself. And you can build with code in there program but there's really no point unless you doing something extremely custom because they have already built in the functionality. The system overall is great, really simple and drag and drop.

Nick
Nick
  • Industry: Warehousing

Outsystems rocks!

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

I got introduced a little bit more than 2 years ago to the Outsystems Platform. Since that day I fall in love with the drag and drop system. It's so easy to just create a small app in just a couple of minutes. Where using the platform to build applications for around 25+ users to use. With some application used by over 150+ users there getting pretty big!

Pros

It's nice to see that OS is improving each day. The training videos and webinars are a real benefit for the new developers. The easy drag and drop technique is so nice to work with. I don't hate coding but this is just some much better. For around 1.5 year I started with the OS Cloud service that is free available for everyone. OS did a real good job to open a free possibility to let you play around with their software.

Cons

I think the main market for OS are the big companies with 250+ employees. By opening a cloud environment they let you use the application for free. Only if you have a company with for example 1 till 50 employees there is no solution for you. The license is that expansive that it's not possible to pay for small companies and the cloud environment is not for production use. I think this could be improved to also fill the gap in between free and real expensive.

Response from OutSystems

Thanks for the kind words Nick. It means a lot to us when our users say they are in love with the product we've crafted with so much care.

Christian
Christian
  • Industry: Legal Services

Implement business value with the speed of light in a beautiful way

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

I love it. .. I was sceptical at first but it has proven me wrong. It is a way to talk about business value instead of code and deploy this fast to your customers

Pros

Visual modelling of data / Integrity checks (nothing is deployed when it breaks something else) / SilkUI (standard UI components so yuo doný have to make them all) / Ease of deployment between environments / Ease of integration with the rest of the world (REST, SOAP, database connections, extension with C#)

Cons

When using the correct architecture (4-layer) and you have a lot of espaces/modules ... you have to refresh a lot modules (rebuild manually) ... this can take some time ... So when you want to test your code you sometimes first have to wait for a rebuild

Amazing low code tool

Reviewed on 2023/06/27

Pros

Applications can be build easily and efficiently with this tool. It has inbuilt features which enables developers to implement the requirements effectively. Also have some AI features, provides suggestions while designing the code.

Cons

I felt difficulty in debugging process in this tool since any change made in code has to be published and it's dependencies which is but tidy process to me.

Nishant

Create LowCode apps with ease

Reviewed on 2023/06/10

Pros

OutSystems helps our team develop Low Code applications using simple logic statements and allows developers to add great UI to the frontend.

Cons

The refresh time if a user does not use the application for a few minutes, which leads to the data being reset.

Ritchie

A really slick RAD tools with some particular strengths

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

I've actually had occasion to make RAD-style tools in the far-flung past. This is the sort of platform I would have made if I could.

Some of the initial steps are a little harder than you would expect, but once you are used to where everything lives, it's easy to find it again.

Coding is done via flowcharts, and these are pretty easy to use, not to mention fairly easy to use straight up as diagrams to show other people what's going on.

OutSystems is pretty good for only showing you matching options, e.g. if you need a date, it will show you everything local with a date and important functions, like the current date. If you adopt certain naming conventions, OutSystems will fill in the type for you: IsSuccess will become Boolean on account of the "Is" part. JobEntryId will become a Job Entry Identifier.

Database design is extremely easy, just add, adjust and publish in a tree or diagram and migrations are automatic, though when you remove things, it won't remove them from the database automatically.

Using the databases is even easier. Drag and drop the columns, join whatever is not automatically joined, add sorting and filters and OutSystems will try to choose a sample of your data. This sample can be changed by changing the test value, e.g. let's see UserId = worker1.

There's a "business processes" that looks strongly inspired by BPMN 2.0, though it is not identical. These can be used for long-term states or even just simple asynchronous programming.

The web interface side of things is pretty slick, though it can be quite ornery about exact placement. I would recommend using the widget tree view instead when this happens to avoid frustration. There is some pretty good support for Responsive Web Design, especially if you choose a theme designed to show on many devices.

If you are missing some functionality, one option that is available is to make extensions. I've made a few of these. The programming side is a bit esoteric , and there are some odd holes (can use a list of records but not a list) but it's pretty good once you get the hang of it.

A few complaints or improvement opportunities: it would be nice if it was a bit more object-oriented. Built-in tools for data migration, especially between Development, Testing and Production, would be most welcome. I also found myself desperately wishing for a try...finally construct. Java versions of components are a bit neglected.

It's been very, very productive all said.

Pros

The hard things made easy - the BPMN capability, the tree editing and republishing of data entities, the Responsive Web design. Also, the fairly intelligent guessing about properties, the rather speedy resolution/propagation of name changes, deletions, etc. The monitoring software is pretty good.

Cons

If you're developing an extension, it's a four-step manual publishing process to update. No try..finally. The licensing model per certain kind of object encourages bad coding to try to save costs. The visual editor for interfaces goes crazy far too often, making the widget tree the only consistent way to edit them. The lack of built-in data migration is my biggest sticking point right now.

Carlos
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Reduce Time To Market

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

We are totaly involve, and we are migrating a lot of the organizations solutions into the plataform, our POS solution, delivery hand held solution, our transportation manager application (Oracle TM), and we also create a custom CRM levaing behind the SAP CRM solution.

Pros

The plataform enables us as a company to colaborate and implement agile solutions, innovations all across the organization, IT is not longer the bottleneck to promote that innovation, we are now a strong arm that the company relay on to create new technology, solve company issues and bring agile solutions to our customers (internal and external)

Cons

We are using de Paas solution and that by definition "retrict" the core in depht administration of the infrastructre, but we are working with Outsystems in order to have more control or visibility of the complete infraestructure, we need that 'cause we have core company solution on the plataform and need to monitor in depth the transactionability and guarantee as much as we can the availabilty

SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Salesforce Sales Cloud and SugarCRM
Jinal
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

I am happy to have this perfect system!

Reviewed on 2021/01/09

It does not require a large learning curve. Developing applications quickly and easily is very enjoyable with OutSystems.

Pros

The OutSystems platform is a state-of-the-art product developed to accelerate development for our core applications as well as provide flow flexibility, allowing developers to implement and develop as business and technology trends evolve. In addition, it does not need a large learning curve and is very simple to use. I like that they provide quick solutions to the business needs of users without technical knowledge. He helps us with the various projects we have in the Company, which is the most important part of my job. It perfectly supports project flow and helps us create flawless projects. With the arrival of Outsystems, the sales team can make demos faster and reach more customers. A very lucrative product.Another favorite feature of the product is that I love the whole ecosystem created by Outsystems ... so having a design system in the UX part, easy drag and drop components, easy development flows and a perfect system to interpret and follow them. .

Cons

There is nothing I can criticize for not having a bad experience.I am very satisfied with this product.

İbrahim

Low code with OutSystems

Reviewed on 2022/10/23

Pros

Outsystems offers a low code, rapid application development and distribution platform. It integrates with all your existing systems and offers management and analysis screens within itself. Complex workflows can be designed using visual development tools. Another feature is that we can use the application we developed in both mobile and web environments. Complex workflows can be designed using visual development tools. Another feature is that we can use the application we developed in both mobile and web environments.

Cons

Requires training to use the system. Another disadvantage is that to develop applications, you need to install a program in your local (Service Studio). We develop the application using this program and deploy it to the cloud environment. It is easy to do these operations, the documentation is guiding enough, but making the application with the web interface is nicer and easier, as in quickbase and caspio.

Nuno

OutSystems, on the way to the future

Reviewed on 2019/12/26

With outsystems, we solve all internal application-level problems, which are all developed internally on outsystems, and also provide the customer with a variety of custom solutions through outsystems.

Pros

For those who have some logical reasoning skills it is affordable to learn how easy it is to implement while ensuring safety guidelines. An application can be obtained in a short time.

Cons

The level of training and information for people with some knowledge is weak. They are either very confusing documents, or it is all very vague.

Orlan
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

The Low-Code System

Reviewed on 2019/10/30

Very good, I've never seen a developers tool which allowed a new user to start developing so quickly and beneficially to active and new projects.

Pros

The excellent learning curve and smooth experience with which you can quickly learn the basics and start developing almost immediately. The clean interface and avid promotion of the use of a 4 layer architecture makes it very easy to read and understand what your peers have done.

Cons

The separation of web and mobile apps, I would prefer to see them more as a whole which should be coming with the new Reactive Web. Though keep in mind that you can link the two as is.

Victor
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

User friendly web applications

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Good tool to quickly create web based applications. Defects and changes can be done quickly.

The...

The user interface is great and give a lot of opportunities. It is a great tool to examine for further developments

Pros

Able to create user friendly web applications, being able to minimize the user interaction to achieve a specific goal. An action in our legacy system using 14 clicks we could reduce to 3 clicks.

Also the easy upload of documents, pictures is real advantage.

By introducing a web application we were abbe to reduce the time to complete processes with more as 50%

In our mobile app we had difficulties to synchronize with our database. It took only few day to completely change the architecture.

Cons

The accessibility of the database itself. In numbered cases we need to intervene due to defects. Need to do real effort to access the data.

Outsystems is a great development tool; but the design of the requirements and the data model still need good thinking and is a basis for the discuss.

Justin
Justin

Love to develop with OutSystems

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

I started using OutSystems in September of 2009. At the time, the learning curve was really high... few video tutorials, the community only had a couple of active members who were working for OutSystems, the Forge had a very limited number of components, etc. I gave it a shot on a personal project, and I was hooked. It just WORKED. Since then I've been involved in some of the biggest OutSystems customers (in terms of usage) and biggest projects (in terms of scope & size) out there, and I am still delighted with the product. It does exactly what I need it to do. It makes the easy stuff trivial and the hard stuff easier. It is not a perfect product (really, what is?) but it is the best way to write Web apps that I have tried.

Pros

It is easy to use and easy to learn. The visual logic layout simplifies development and troubleshooting, and allows the business team to participate at a lower level than traditional coding models. The entire team at OutSystems (and especially the support staff) are just really good, smart people who work hard to help their customers and users.

Cons

Some use cases are still hard to implement. The library of UI widgets still needs to grow. A native reporting solution is really needed. Automated test options are weak.

Response from OutSystems

Justin, thank you for taking the time to review OutSystems. It's great to have users like you in our community, using the product for so many years and helping it evolve and grow with new ideas and feedback. Keep it coming!

Patrick

Next Level Software Development

Reviewed on 2016/10/06

As an experienced programmer I had some trouble to make my life easier. Trained to use code I can create anything. But as I got used to OutSystems, I cannot think of an easier way to create solutions for business problems. It reduced the time spent on a lot of things, leaving time in projects for the new next thing to implement:) Beside that, the model driven development ensures code quality and control.
Combined with the excellent usage of LifeTime, going from development, testing, acceptance and production is a breeze. And when it does give some problems, a roll back is just as easy.

Pros

- Speed
- Quality
- Flexibility
- Business Processing Tools

Cons

- Rethink software development
- Loosing control of the underlying technical things
- SQL is managed by the system, so tuning and in depth control is harder

Miguel

Disruption

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Pros

The ability to change the way we work in a quick way

Cons

the price; the ability to keep the team;

• Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Tailored and guided low-code app & web development

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Exceptional, We were successful in our strategy. Thanks to low code environment where we could focus more on user needs and less on architecture and coding discipline.

Pros

One of the best low-code app development tool out there in the market. One Click deployment & roll back.
Offline data storage, built in templates and seamless integration with iOS & Google play store.

Mature and well designed tool that builds good looking apps & web platform. Significantly reduces the time to market and new features can be rolled out in a few days.

Cons

Enterprise plans aren't cheap only desktop IDE for Windows

Detlev
Detlev
  • Industry: Insurance

Outsystems delivers

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

If your company is of sufficient size and you're not using outsystems yet, then start now. Not tomorrow. Outsystems will always be an asset.

Pros

Outsytems is flexible enough to give speed and agility, but robust enough to keep your business going for the next decade(s). With Outsystems delivering top products becomes as easy as building an Ikea closet, without being stuck with that extra part that you don't know the function of ;)

Cons

Outsystems is a growing platform. That means it keeps evolving and keeps demanding more from the user as well, to keep up with latest developments

Outsystems - Be Agile, Be Productive, Be a Hero!

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

Very Satisfied with our current experience and support.

Very Satisfied with our current experience and support.

Pros

Outsystems is a user friendly development platform that adds agility and productivity in a dynamic business environment the demands immediate results to maintain a competitive advantage. Outsystems provides continuous upgrades and features, excellent documentation , and to notch support. Try Outsystems today and be a HERO!

Cons

The challenge in using Outsytems is the learning curve involved to integrate with your current environment when solely using as a front-end. The templates and demonstrations are very well, but documentation and is limited when using connectors or REST services to connect to your existing database. It would be helpful to better document best practices for developing a 4 layer canvas architecture and the use of structures and lists. Not a deal beaker through.

Alejandro
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great fast and easy software development

Reviewed on 2019/10/02

Great, very easy to use and lots of integrations possibledont know

Great, very easy to use and lots of integrations possibledont know

Pros

Easy of use with a graphical interface and non existent DevOps

Cons

Sometime some integrations can be heard but in all great.

Google Forms

Reasons for Switching to OutSystems

dont know
Patrick
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Feature rich low code platform with great possibilities to extend platform

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Great tool for developers, easy to modify existing applications, great lifecycle management, although deploying can take some time

Pros

Extensibility of platform, ease of creating a demo and extending / modifying this to a enterprise ready product

Cons

Pricing, although price quality is good, it's an expensive product