Daniel S.

Great Booking Software

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

We run a glamping business and have been using Checkfront for 3 years and it works great. The initial set up was a bit of a slog as we have an complex booking system, but it all works well. The team at CheckFront is always very responsive and helpful - with written suggestions and video walk-throughs for set up issues.

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility in the this product, with many features. Developed by a small Canadian company, that is very responsive to questions and feature requests. Very supportive with assistance for technical issues in my set up.

Cons

With all the features and parameters to set up, there is lots of things that can get out of lineament. Sometimes I will spend hours trying to puzzle out why something that I have set up does not work as it should. The team at CheckFront is always great is helping me get it fixed.

Amanda R.

We love it!

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

We love it and may change our entire booking system over to it !

Pros

That customers can see the calendar of what is booked - we do not have to manage that!
They can't double book

Cons

Not much we don't like - maybe could be easier to block off a day . Had to play around a bit to figure it out

Markus V.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Some of the best customer support, I have seen.

Reviewed on 2020/09/20

Overall great experience, wouldn't look for anything else.

Pros

Setting up was a bit difficult, but I was helped alot by different customer service personnel. They even had a gorgeous looking lady leaving me a personalised video about my questions answered, which was a great thing to discover first thing in a morning.

Cons

Some of the features, I would still want to see, are slow to be developed on the updates. I know, they have been added to the future developments, but when these things will be reached, god knows.

Versatile, Cost-Effective Platform with Good Customer Support

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Checkfront helped us migrate from a very inefficient reservations system (email and paper) to one that is largely automated and this has vastly improved our customer experience, saved us a lot of staff time, and given us better tools to manage and understand our business. As a small non-profit tour operator with tight margins, we are not only very happy with Checkfront's pricing structure, but also grateful that they offer a non-profit discount. In spite of a few limitations, overall we are very happy with Checkfront and have been using it for 3+ years.

Pros

Checkfront is very affordable relative to other tour booking platforms (they charge a flat annual fee rather than a percentage of sales - which I believe is the fair way to operate), and it works great for many purposes. There are lots of options for customization, and it is easy to learn how to configure and manage the platform using Checkfront's tutorials and documentation. There are lots of helpful integrations (Stripe, PayPal, Google Analytics, etc.) that are easy to set up. Checkfront support is always very responsive and helpful.

Cons

Checkfront is designed to work across many types of booking environments including hotels, hourly tours, daily tours, weekly tours, etc. Because these types of businesses have different needs, Checkfront balances those but, in my experience, isn't perfect for any one type of business. As a tour operator, sometimes we have needed to come up with workarounds to meet our specific needs or live with certain shortcomings. Checkfront support is always helpful, but if there is a feature that you need, the best you can do is submit a "feature request" and hope that enough other people request the same feature for development.

Pietra K.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Complicated systems for Dummies :)

Reviewed on 2016/07/31

I own and operate Stellar Micro Creations, in Rome, Italy. I have absolutely no experience with systems and programming. The check front booking system was incredibly over my head because it was very complicated but in the end it is good that it was so complicated because now I know that it can accommodate every complicated need of booking for my products.. I learn more and more options as I go along. The thing that has made this all possible for me to do is the fantastic support team at Checkfront. Once I got into the groove of communicating with Checkfront I have made hastened the development of my learning curve and am WAY more relaxed and not worried because I know that there is a support team that can help me. Anyway, I have so much more to say. There is also support in the Blogs. I had changed my approach to how I would start my business by reading one of the blog posts about referral business instead of using the costly Adwords which were not really working with my small companies start up budget. I consider the support team and the system as a partner of my business.

Pros

I like that this software can accommodate any complicated idea that I want to achieve when it comes to booking my tours.. and also I have just discovered the power of the Partners accounts. It has broadened my idea of how I can sell and increased my success potential. I do not have a lot of experience in this field but the featured of check front has given me a platform of growing my business and gives me a vision of what I can accomplish..

Cons

I haven't really discovered anything so far that I like least because I am in such a learning curve.. I am in the mode of discovering all the new things that I can do so far.. I might have a comment on this in a year or so. Oh yes!! It would be fantastically helpful if Checkfront would send a notification to my cell phone from the app or something that I have got a booking.. I have to log into check front all the time to see if I have a booking..

A powerful tool to manage your guest house bookings

Reviewed on 2019/02/16

Despite some small shortcomings I am quite happy with Checkfront product and support service.

Pros

Very well thought out and feature rich to accommodate the quirks of your business with good booking calendar and discount options. The support is also great and response times are less than a day. We been using Checkfront for 7 years now and have no plans to move away despite some small shortcomings. Highly recommended.

Cons

The ability to make integrations to other services like accounting systems are limited. With the rise of functional programming like AWS lambda, I think its trivial to add some capability to integrate to other systems using similar event triggered functions or webhooks. Checkfront does have something like this but its quite limited.
There is no support for multi item discounts as yet so customers are unable to get a discount if they book multiple inventory items. This is a key feature that I hope they will have in future.
The ability to style the embeddable iframe booking page is also a bit limited and I can't get it to match my website style.

Annabel C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Small business

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

Pros

By far the easiest and straightforward system I found to use for my business. We have had positive comments from our customers who said they found booking on to a workshop fairly simple and easy to do. The calendar is very clear and makes it easy to see what bookings we have each day.

Cons

Limited ability to customise gift certificates on layout and does not look very professional. Could be a lot better looking for our customers to receive as a gift.
Always have problems uploading images and resizing issues.
Customers get confused with first booking screen where it states enter promo/voucher code and try to enter their gift certificate number here rather than at checkout.
Could be made clearer on the gift certificate that they need to use the G code below the barcode when redeeming their gift certificate. We have had to put a couple of paragraphs on our website to explain to customers how it all works, so feel the checkfront system could be improved a lot in the gift certificate area.

Monthly cost is quite high- we are a very small business and no discounts available and packages unable to be tailored to our needs so we are paying for things we do not require.

I would like to be able to speak to customer support on the telephone if I have any problems rather than just on email.

Jorge G.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Rental Provider

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Staff incredible, software flawless and the user friendliness is exactly what i needed! I could not conduct my business without Checkfront!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

There is no way that i could do my business without Checkfront. I was able to learn the software and all its benefits within 1-hour. The support staff provides superior service and is always available to help with any questions or concerns i have. I recommend Checkfront to all my business friends and use it 10 times or more a day. Thank you for providing this incredible software!!!!

Cons

I do not like the affiliate program and quite honestly don't understand why i would be required to upgrade my plan in order to allow affiliates to get commission and have there own portal to create booking for the company. I am currently only allowed to have 10 affiliate accounts on my business and with my business working with thousands of travel agents it would be nice if you allowed unlimited affiliate accounts as apart of the service.

David C.
  • Industry: Hospitality

A good foundation but could do better

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

Overall, we have been happy with Checkfront. There is some improvement we'd like to do on the notification and invoicing side of things so that the booking process is more informative and smooth. The guides could provide more indepth information on this topic.

Pros

Going from paper based to cloud based has been a big help in recording all our bookings and allowing multiple users to view what bookings have been entered.
We use Checkfront for our accommoation, catering, meeting rooms and equipment bookings so need a level of complexity to do this and Checkfront is up to the task. The main difference for us is that we manage the bookings in house after an enquiry is made via phone/email or our website. We do not run a live booking portal for guests to make bookings from.

Cons

The intergration with Xero does not talk back and forth therefore, invoices that change totals after they are booked show discrepancies with the final amount.
Setting new rates in advance through the item events function was recommended however, it does not suit more complex items such as rooms with multiple occupancy etc.

Joachim l. f. D.

Now THAT is service !!!

Reviewed on 2016/11/07

We are a small belgian family entertainment center based in Brussels in the heart of Europe,

CHECKFRONT changed our lives ! We have now dozens of bookings each day automated, planned as such and in multiple language (we have three languages over here)

The reason I give them a 5 star ranking is that their service is just unseen !!!

Try it out, their support team is outstanding and they really listen to idea's and input of their customers.

I think Checkfront will be the leading booking software worldwide with this approach.

Their service is amazing, you can mail them, chat them, even if you raise a question no one has raised before their customers advocate comes back to you after some time and they find a work-around !!!!!

Put your money in this product, you will not regret it ! I wrote this review on my own initiative after I have been blown away by their outstanding service over the last months.

Checkfront team knows what they are doing and they are really really good at it !!!!

Pros

Great service and the software does everything it promises !

Cons

Nothing, because all new future requests are dealt with and they keep improving the software.

Andrew M.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Good for managing make cottage bookings

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

A feature-rich booking system which works well on all devices. Loved by the owner, accountant, cleaner and, working in the background, benefits our guests too. Life has become a whole lot easier since using Checkfront.

Pros

Check from the allows me to easily manage my bookings between my website, Booking.com, Airbnb, TripAdvisor and Home Away. Previously when a booking can in I had to manually change the calendars on every holiday website and it was a nightmare.
I have configured Checkfront to link to my accountancy software (Xero) and I have also started offering customers gift cards.
I'm not technically-minded and have found the technical support excellent, especially when the send me custom videos showing me what to do.

Cons

It does virtually everything I need, but sometimes I don't find it very intuitive. It's disappointing there isn't a way of getting it to work with new Google Holiday feature. No great loss now, but I expect this will grow in customer popularity.

Claire G.
  • Industry: Fishery

Checkfront for Fishing Charters Business

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

Our clients love being able to check availability and pay online. They don't book online as often as we'd like them to but at least the facility is there. Checkfront integrates with our website easily and there are lots of addons available as the business expands. It's a great system.

Pros

Checkfront's customer support is brilliant. No question too silly and no work around too finicky.

The system is really easy to use and the online 'How to' guides cover all of the basics clearly.

There's a pretty good range of reports which means end of month is only a few clicks to give the owners a good picture of what's going on with their business.

Cons

I would like to see a few of our wish list items be actioned to enable the system to work even better for our business. Whether these items are added to the full system or a feature being added to our system only.
In the meantime, the work-arounds recommended by support are usually more than adequate.

Emma M.
  • Industry: Sports

Super easy to navigate!

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

I love checkfront. Customer service is great. Responses are quick. The app is user friendly and easy to use.

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use. Setting up tours, packages, classes and hire options has been a breeze with easy shortcodes to include booking links on my website. Also love that if a class requires certain hire equipment, with each booking the hire equipment also books out - meaning I can't overbook our standard equipment hire. The app is super easy to use and love that it all syncs with my phone's calendar.

Cons

Would like a "membership" option for those that frequent our business. I know there's a workaround but it's not really the easiest way. The upgrade to using liability waivers is a pretty big price difference! Would love a smaller pricepoint option for single option upgrades as I don't need all features on the next tier.

Andrew B.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Everything you need as a guide

Reviewed on 2018/08/18

Checkfront allows me to have a customer website to take bookings but also the ability to take bookings and payments from a variety of other sources and manage them all in one place.

Pros

Checkfront allows you to set up a tour guide website relatively quickly without the hassle of knowing how to code. Although the designs are limited they are perfect for displaying tours available for your clients and making it easy for them to check availability and book tours. The backend system is what makes this powerful, allowing me to manage my tours whether they were booked through the site or via agents.

Cons

Some of the set-up if requiring special options is rather complicated but the help notes are clear and comprehensive. It is just a matter of persevering and checking to make sure you've got it set up right.

Thomas W.

Anglers lodge 3,5 year user review

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Accomodation and charterboat bookings. Nothing more fancy than that.

Pros

The stability, easy to use at a reasonable cost.

Cons

The Web GUI, it hasn't changed in 4 years, a lot of connections to different external suppliers that only apply to certain countries has been done but not a single change on the graphical and user interface on the web. Customers just don't find their way to pictures etc, it is too many clicks. Another really bad thing is that the staff interface does not show closures and other event on a item based level which means you sometimes miss vital information in the customer calendar view.

Chris L.

Works Great, Great Support

Reviewed on 2016/09/22

We have used Checkfront since our inception in 2012. We have grown and so have they. They have done a great job making things better and their price is fair. Any issues we have had support has assisted in a timely manner. Reporting is great and notifications to customers is easy to set up.

Pros

Great reporting, easy to use, well priced.

Cons

My only slight issue I have with them, is I would love to attend a 2-3 day Checkfront "University". I get the feeling we can do more with Checkfront and are only using 75% of it. Of course, they have a great and very efficient configuration call that helps and this probably is the more efficient route to go anyway.

Love this booking tool! Even for our odd use of it.

Reviewed on 2018/04/15

Pros

We don't use the booking software for its original purpose, but it still works great for us and the customer support works with us as though we are just as important as every other "typical" user. The system is easy to change to fit your needs and even though it is constantly evolving to get better, you don't sign in one day and feel completely lost.

Cons

I wish that it was purposefully made for our type of business, but that is by no fault of theirs. However, it is easily working its way to being exactly what we need it to be.

Hans W.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Wippersnappers Kids Play Place uses Checkfront

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Overall Checkfront has been a lifesaver to our business. Before we implemented our online booking, we were spending up to 20 hours a week chasing down phone calls, answering calls and physically running deposits through our POS. Now we are able to focus more on the customer experience.

Pros

I really liked how user friendly the software is. Even when I first started using it, it was intuitive to figure things out. If I didn't know how to do something, customer service was amazing in getting back to me with a solution, often the same day. They were very good at explaining how to do things in layman's terms.

Cons

The only negative is that we have two products we sell, birthday parties and summer camps. We have different rules for each that we list on the bottom of the invoice. There is no way to be able to "pick" which rules list we want to use, so we have to post both sets of rules to both items.

András S.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Simple, smart booking system with lots of functionality

Reviewed on 2018/08/18

Overall this is a nice booking solution. I can recommend it. There must be a lot of work behind the scenes.

Pros

Provides 70% functionality what our business needs, which is way more then other solutions do.
Automated payment gateways.
Easily configurable.
Quick response time from support.
The functionality is getting better month by month.

Cons

Hacks needed to configure complex relationship, but you can use an item as a token to create the logics.
Silly bugs.
Sometimes easy win bugs are not corrected.
Not that cheap.
Only one currency can be used at a time.

Michael E.

Great Booking System that Integrates well with Website

Reviewed on 2017/01/28

Use this across 4 websites and 3 seperate businesses. Was able to create a bespoke solution for our complex booking system covering max bookings per time slot, multiple product types, taxation, ticketing, special events and more. Have been using product for over 1 year, and it is far superior to other similar booking/waiver type products on market. Complete solution for bookings, payments, waivers, deposits and more.

Great customer service, who have been available whenever we have needed it and have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Pros

Customisation, Functionality.

Cons

Steep learning curve, but with support we've been able to create the right solution.

Andrew K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great booking tool!

Reviewed on 2020/01/03

Overall, great experience! It met our needs completely, and we have actually been able to expend our offerings. It has also helped us immensely with our billing abilities.

Pros

Very powerful tool! It can be customized to meet the needs of almost any industry. The customer support offered by Checkfront is amazing, and they were integral to the deployment of their software on our website. Cannot thank them enough.

Cons

There are a lot of features (maybe too many). It can be hard to navigate at first, and there is no phone support for the basic plan which can be tough if you are someone who prefers live conversation vs email.

Response from Checkfront

Hey Andrew, thanks for your review. Checkfront's support team will be very happy to hear your positive feedback. We'll be sure to pass this on to them :)

It might interest you to know that we have alternate methods of support at the set-up stage to make the onboarding process smooth and reduce friction. We have live chat and step by step simulation videos that can be accessed at your convenience. Our support team also provides custom simulation videos tailor-made specifically for your business. We're more than happy to help as and when you need any assistance.

Once again, thanks for choosing Checkfront :)

• Industry: Information Services

Robust, but missing some obvious features.

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

Pros

The homepage option I chose is absolutely beautiful since it showcases pictures front and centre. It's also mobile-friendly, which is a huge plus. It shows you if people are using mobile or desktop and it's about 50/50 for us, so it's definitely crucial that this is a mobile-friendly experience. It's also easy for most of our users to use, which is great.

Cons

There are some features that don't exist, like charging a hold to the credit card. I'm using the product for a condo amenities booking system, and it would be ideal to be able to put an amount hold on the user's credit card as a security deposit. Instead, we have to actually charge the client and then process a refund manually, which is tedious and time-consuming. Luckily the software is detailed enough that I have been able to work around most of the issues so far, but some of the workarounds have been ridiculous. For example, for one amenity we have a per hour fee. Instead of being able to input a maximum daily fee, I have to input the fees individually.

• Industry: Entertainment

An excellent solution with phenomenal customer service!

Reviewed on 2018/02/13

Pros

Checkfront has the best service, hands down. We have applied this tool to an industry it wasn't necessarily built for and so we've had to find some work arounds. We love the tool and can't imagine going anywhere else.

Cons

Our only "con" is that this software wasn't built for what we use it for (not their fault) so we have to spend time finding work arounds. But it's worth it!

Warren T.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Best folks in the industry

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

Best in class still!

Pros

Great core features, rock-solid stability, and ease of setup and integration to our systems. And they have a fantastic support team.

Cons

Odd occasional niggles with the API (though support usually solves it quite quickly), missing some big data integrations (we're very demanding clients).

Sid C.
  • Industry: Events Services

We use it for a party rental company and it handles are bookings well.

Reviewed on 2017/09/15

Precise item quantity tracking to avoid over booking

Pros

The flexibility on how it can handle all types of bookings. It does not matter if it is daily, hourly or monthly you can configure it to handle your most basic needs.

Cons

Wish they allowed more agents on their lower plan. We know that the software is mainly for accommodations rentals but they did say that it could be used for rental items also. It would be nice to see some route planning feature included in the future.