Actionstep

More headspace for what really matters

Brahm D.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Actionstep still the best but not yet perfect

Reviewed on 2020/10/16

Overall, I've been very happy with Actionstep. I get the most satisfaction when I get a new client and need to create a document that I have set up document assembly for, and am able to generate in seconds a document that would have taken an hour or more to create manually.

Pros

Document assembly tools are the most powerful of the many cloud based law practice management systems I have looked at. CLIO's document assembly comes close, but not quite as powerful. It is also the most customizable cloud based law practice management system I have tested.

Cons

Options for integration with accounting and invoicing software is fairly limited. Learning curve is a bit steeper than other cloud based systems. They seem to have heard these concern and over the past four years that I've been using Actionstep, and their development team has making progress on these two fronts. They aren't perfect yet, but they seem to be continually improving.

Carol W.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Lots of Customization options, but lacking some basic common sense

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Mixed. A number of positive features, but also a number of time consuming and expensive issues to set it up and keep going, and almost "TOO" much for our needs, since it is missing some simple features.

Pros

For a small law office, there is a lot of potential to customize the matter setup and use different workflows. Also as a supervisor there is complete transparency so I see everything my support staff is doing, I like that the system does a complete backup of saved documents and matters. The Home page is very workable. And the timekeeping functions are good. I also really like the Microsoft Outook integration, even if I keep having to reboot it.

Cons

First, something simple. Make an "out of office" message available through the email system. When I set this up on my outlook, then even though it is integrated, if the client sends an email directly through the Actionstep platform,they do not receive that out of office message.

Second, the billing system is not user-friendly. First, the billing templates are a lot harder to set up than they should be, even with the pre-made templates. Second, the trust accounting is difficult to integrate into the bills. Yes, it is there but not in a way that is client friendly. Third, this is so simple I fail to understand why it isnt in place. Make some simple billing features automatic like the ability to print aging on a bill. They have a form for it but it just looks weird! And why shouldn't you just be able to carry over onto a new bill in an easy way. Other case management software has this in a very easy format. Also, when we upgraded to the new billing format there are some ongoing and permanent glitches that make my bookeeper's job harder.

Finally, this is a costly system compared to some others in the legal field. And we have received word that the cost is increasing. We will be in the process of reviewing other options. We may decide to stick with Actionstep since there are a lot of good features, but we don't feel strongly enough to keep it with a price increase down the road, even if we are "grandfathered" temporarily.

We hired a consultant to help us get it set up.

Response from Actionstep Software

Carol - thanks for taking the time to write the review. We really appreciate your positive comments about Actionstep - particularly regarding transparency and Microsoft Office Integration. You have a number of suggestions which I am going to take to our product development team - hearing feedback like this is really helpful for us in planning out future product development work. We will be in touch with you directly to discuss these further. Thanks again.

Jennifer H.

Great Features with Not So Great Service

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Overall it's been a decent system. There is room for improvement, but ultimately it does give you a lot of customization for a better price than a lot of cloud based services out there.

Pros

You can customize it according to your needs, including custom reports and exports. It's easy to use on a daily basis and has an attractive platform that is well organized. It has it's own document storage, so you don't have to use two different programs/services to get it to work (such as box or another doc storage service) It does conflict checks and syncs with e-mail so you can assign e-mails as you send/receive them to the matter they are relevant to.

Cons

The customer support is terrible. Response time has been poor. When there is a response, it typically is, refer to the on-line manual. My spouse is an IT person, so I'm fairly computer program savvy. So I don't contact tech support unless I've gone through everything in the manual and tried everything I can think of first. When that is met with "look at the manual" it's beyond frustrating. Once we get past that, it usually doesn't take them long to get the issue resolved or walk me through what needs to be done to achieve the goal.

Also, in order to use the macros letters/documents where information auto-populates from your case into the letter or document, you pretty much have to be a computer programmer to get that to work.

Response from Actionstep Software

Jennifer, thanks for your feedback.

[Updated Aug 2020] -

Over the last year, we have focused on improving our support teams response rate & the quality of their responses. We now see upwards of 90% positive feedback after customers have dealt with our team and strive to improve that even further.

We apologize you had a poor experience with our team. If there is anything we can do to help you get the most from Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our team.

Peter M.

Why I love ActionStep - Australian Lawyer

Reviewed on 2017/04/11

After making my own practice management system (in the 1990's before there were any commercially made products available) and then trying numerous products over the years, I have finally settled upon ActionStep as the ultimate system.

Why? Because ActionStep is the first to provide me with a set of tools, as well as a framework, so that I can customise the system as I please.

I don't want to be told what's available in a system, and why it operates the way it does. I want to know what a system is capable of, and how I can make it do what I want it to do. ActionStep is the only system to gives me this freedom.

On top of this ActionStep is secure, robust and easy to learn, and support is always there.

I ask my own clients to review the service they have received from me, and I'm always pleased when a client is so satisfied as to write a review. So, when one of my providers gives me a product and service that exceeds my expectations, and continues to deliver with support and improvements, I feel duty-bound to let everyone know.

Pros

Its power, security and ease of use.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Peter!

Maricatherine M.

Why I love ActionStep

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

We have realized many benefits from ActionStep with respect to not only just organizing the firm's information but the fact that it offers so much more regarding document saving (cloud), billing, and portal capabilities. This, in turn, will save the firm a lot of money.

Pros

The product is easy to use. It provides many opportunities for making the running of a law firm a seamless process. The support is excellent. In our firm, we are able to keep tract of Matters, Clients, Calendars, and we are just starting to use ActionStep more in-depth with respect to storing documents, creating correspondence, and billing. I cant say enough about how this software helps to organize our small firm and keeps us on track with respect to keeping track of revenue goals, etc.

Cons

Integration in our firm was somewhat difficult only due to time constraints; nothing to do with the product itself.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Maricatherine,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you have had an excellent experience with our support team.

We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great.

If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected] so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development.

Melissa C.

One Stop Shop

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

Trust accounting is very easy and efficient along with creating and managing matters

Pros

Actionstep does it all, from trust accounting to matter creation and workflows and firm accounting. Fully customisable matter and document templates.

Cons

Updates and user suggestions take a while to be onboarded

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for such a positive review, we are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great.

It is great to hear you are using Actionstep across all aspects of your practice. Fantastic to hear that our Trust Accounting processes are easy and efficient for you.

Pamela T.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Using Actionstep

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

Overall, I enjoy using action step. I cannot recall any problems with this software.

Pros

I like the idea that client information is easily accessible. I am able to determine the status of a case at moments glance. I can plug in all my tasks and assign due dates to keep me organized.

Cons

Not being able to update or correct information in the client profile, such as adding, title, Mr./Ms. This site only allows for address changes, or adding emails.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for such a positive review, great to hear how Actionstep is helping you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected]

Anne F.

NO buyers remorse here

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Pros

its ability to intergrate calendar/ email / documents into one plac.e

Cons

adding things can be difficult, it can be very slow and freeze.
It is difficult to load letter heads etc if they are not the selected size

More compatibility with MAC would be better

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Anne - thanks for your great review. I just wanted to follow up to let you know that we have recently released an update to our system to allow Mac users to more easily edit and manage documents. See an overview and further resources here: https://blog.actionstep.com/making-document-management-easier-for-actionsteps-mac-users

Joe B.

Actionstep is a powerful practice management solution, but that power comes with its own...

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

Pros

Actionstep is nearly infinitely customizable, and its orientation around workflows offers great promise for automating certain routine tasks. The user interface is logical, and each screen is packed with the information you would expect to see. The layout minimizes unnecessary keystrokes and scrolling to find the most important information related to a case or a contact. Document automation works very well. Likewise, time keeping is straightforward and easy. Recent upgrades have improved the billing process significantly.

Cons

Power comes at a price, in this case in the form of time. Actionstep is not an application for the faint of heart or those unwilling to devote significant time to onboarding and setup. Many users may find a consultant necessary to complete that process.

Sarah S.

Love This Portal

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

I have tried several other portals and they have nothing on this one.

Pros

It is very easy to use and navigate.
i would recommend this portal to other paralegals.

Cons

I wish when entering court dates that I can add more than one attorney at a time.

Response from Actionstep Software

Sarah - Thank you for such a positive review. We are delighted Actionstep compares so well to other providers in your experience. We will certainly raise your note about adding multiple attorneys at a time to court dates with our product development team. In the meantime, our support team is always on hand for any queries - [email protected]

ActionStep - Great Product for a New Cloudy World

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

Excellent. Has made us a very efficient and effective firm, and that was important for a start-up.

Pros

Ability to generate documentation. Could-based (no servers needed). Document management. Trust accounting works very well.

Cons

Interface with Xero is a bit clunky. A bit complex when trying to set up new Action Types.

Lindsay H.

Decent Product

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Pros

Good visual layout, adding new matters is relatively simple, scratchpad feature is useful

Cons

Clunky, not as intuitive as we had hoped

Response from Actionstep Software

Lindsay - thank you for your positive comments about Actionstep. We love scratchpad too - it's a favourite among many of our customers! If you haven't been on it already, you may find our help centre useful (https://www.actionstep.com/resources/support) and our support team are also always ready to help with any specific queries. We are also very open to hearing general feedback so we can build suggestions into our product development cycles via [email protected] Thanks for choosing Actionstep and thanks again for your review.

Tina L.

Action step

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Good

Pros

Client data base

Time recording

Ease to set up matters

Cons

It does not incorporate family law templates and actions.

It won’t let you

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Tina

Thanks for your review! Just wanted to let you know that we have a family law add on available in our marketplace https://www.actionstep.com/us/marketplace/add-ons which you may find useful.

Julann T.

Actionstep Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/04

Really good - I would recommend them and have done so to other colleagues.

Pros

Excellent value for money. Easy to use and responsive customer service.

Cons

Setup costs were restrictive to me so I did it myself and I am unaware of some features!

Jean R.

Great for start-ups

Reviewed on 2015/03/12

Actionstep is a complete practice management package.

Client and matter management, accounting and invoicing are easily set-up. The plentiful, other features require a little more to set-up.

The only criticism is the lack of detail in the user guide, but that is made up for by the support, which is truly excellent, they really go "above and beyond".

Sam C.

Reviewed on 2017/01/13

Peter P.

Easy to use legal practise management solution

Reviewed on 2015/03/11

It is a complete integrated business solution for legal firms and that makes it very easy to use no matter where our staff are located. Also because it is cloud based we are always using the latest version of the software.

Don C.

Customer feedback driven

Reviewed on 2015/10/16

Process-based, cust feedback driven, good interfaces (hotdocs, outlook, MSword etc.). Excellent support service and dedicated CEO.
Cons: material learning curve.

Daniel danny R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Stick with it - it's amazing

Reviewed on 2020/07/08

Overall, it has been fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was incredibly helpful, easy going, and keen to answer my questions. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] also incredibly knowledgeable and honest in his suggestions, I think he was one of the main reasons I decided to proceed with Actionstep - and I am very happy with that decision.

Pros

The features and functionality built in to Actionstep are amazing. This is a company that actually understands legal practice and legal software. I am impressed that Actionstep offer features that should be standard in every legal software, but aren't always included.

Cons

It does take some time to get used to it and to actually make it work for you. The key is to actually spend time using it and customising it to your needs. This isn't a plug and play solution out of the box, and firms will need to take time to make sure that they have configured it to meet their needs.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Daniel.

Fantastic to hear you are making the most of the functionality built into actionstep - we pride ourselves on being an All-In-One solution.

If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to contact our support team on [email protected] or in our in-app chat.

Great Productivity Tool but Additional/Improved Integrations Needed

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Pros

The timekeeping functions, file notes, and overall organization into workflows are tremendous features. Once customized and part of daily practice, Actionstep makes task management much more efficient.

Cons

Gmail/G-Suite integrations are lacking. We are unable to automatically log emails that originate in Gmail. Emailing directly from Actionstep takes care of the record keeping, but we often lose the formatting of our email signatures despite best attempts to keep it true-to-form.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi,

Wonderful to hear your firm is seeing tremendous results from Workflow within Actionstep. It's a common theme of from firms to see similar benefits once they dive into Workflow.

Malinda J.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Lots to love about this program

Reviewed on 2017/03/06

Overall I recommend ActionStep to other law firms. It has vastly improved our office workflow, and the various customizable features enable our employees to address clients' needs more efficiently. The ActionStep support staff are accessible and responsive to any challenges we face, whether they involve addressing problems or learning how to implement new features.

What we love:
- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Case dashboard: the "one stop shop" for all basic info related to a case (employees involved, clients, other important players in the case, calendar appointments, notes, etc.)
- Contact records that exist independently of cases but may be linked to cases -- so updating a contact applies changes across the board
- Newsfeed-style case notes with tag options to identify notes as "important," "call," etc.
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Integration with MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) that allows case data to be merged into documents and e-mails and allows users to assign e-mails to cases
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Document portal that allows clients and other parties to securely exchange documents with the firm
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

The most challenging aspect of ActionStep is the initial setup (hence my three-star rating for "ease of use"). There is no sugar-coating it: the downside of all those wonderful customizable features is that someone in your organization has to do all the customizing. It's a lengthy process, and the initial data migration can also be time-consuming, but the friendly support staff are available to assist throughout the process. For us the end result has been well worth the challenging setup process.

The ActionStep developers are constantly working on improvements to the program, including ways to make it integrate with other types of software and responding to users' suggestions. Occasionally the updates cause hiccups in the system, but they are typically short-lived. We genuinely appreciate the drive to improve the product and the responsiveness to users' wishes.

Pros

- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

Cons

- Challenging initial setup (customization of features)
- Cumbersome process to unlock encrypted zip files after backup request
- Previous difficulty with calendar integration caused problems with client scheduling and has made us skittish about returning to use of the calendar, even though we see this as a high-value feature of ActionStep

Lachlan S.

Actionstep review

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

We have been able to automate our invoicing which has allowed more time to be spent on other matters.

We now have greater oversight as to how much time is spent is certain matter.

Pros

Ease of use, ability to automate a number of tasks, oversight of office time.

Cons

Inability to convert $ format to € format, for example $4,000.85 needs to be manually converted to 4.000,85€ and 1.5 hours manually converted to 1,5 hours.

Inability to customise the automatic email that is sent to client portal users to grant them access.

Inability to select size and font of text that will automatically be generated when copying text from Actionstep system to a word document.

Sections of the system still refer to GST when using a different tax.

Inability to change a matter type once a matter has been created, instead a completely new matter with a different matter type needs to be created.

Krystal W.

Legal Asst opinion

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Before ActionStep, our office was using DropBox as our inter-office storage, which was not very reliable for record keeping. We needed everything to be in ONE place and ActionStep has solved that issue. Our office has been using ActionStep for about 3 years now & I personally love it. It's easy to customize.

Pros

What I like most about the software is that everything is in one place - past & present records, notes, time tracking & billing, tasks, etc. I find the File Notes feature EXTREMELY useful because myself AND any of my co-workers can create a File Note for record keeping when we speak to the client or need to keep current notes on a project. ActionStep is also very easy to customize.

Cons

It is difficult for me to find something that I dislike about this software. The only opinion I can offer is what I hear from our office book keeper - she dislikes the billing feature because it is not compatible with her Quik Books.

Jennifer B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Turnkey solution for legal practice management

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

Pros

ActionStep runs a variety of reports and queries from our data tables very quickly, and we can customize views and reports as needed. The financial software and G/L is included, which is rather rare. Trust accounting is treated as it should be with separate reporting and functions. Their development of the APIs to connect to Microsoft and Outlook has given us a lot more efficiency in workflows. The support staff is very responsive and will try to thoroughly understand and address the issues for us.

Cons

Some of the accounting functions need some work to run smoothly and to be more intuitive. Also the Outlook add-in and Microsoft Plug In are nice to have but the average user cannot properly install them and maintain them it seems on their own, there are too many steps to the install and updates.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear your firm is embracing the all-in-one functions of Actionstep.

Additionally, glad to hear your experience with our support staff has been excellent.

Tony F.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

The best all in one workflow management system around

Reviewed on 2017/11/17

This software has allowed me to simplify management of my business, keeping all of the information I need to operate in a single location. When I was employing staff it recorded all of their time against the relevant projects, reported taxes due, kept all client details, kept a record of all projects I had undertaken, allowed me to look back on projects to aid in costing of prospective projects.

Pros

That you are able to operate your whole business on the one platform. Everything from the initial client contact through to completion of services, incorporating a single place to track all project related emails, time tracking for employees, easy billing process, tracking of invoices, creditors, production of financial reports, outstanding billing reports and numerous other customisable options.

Cons

The only downside I can think are that it is a little expensive (but then I am only a sole trader now not working full time, so if I was working this business full time then I would probably feel differently on this factor)
It is generally easy to use, but maybe not as intuitive as programmes like Xero or MYOB, but that said I feel this system does a hell of a lot more than they do.