Actionstep

Build your firm advantage with Actionstep.

Peter

Peter Mericka - Long-term Actionstep User

Reviewed on 2021/10/06

After trying no less than 5 different software packages over the years I met [SENSITIVE CONTENT] at a Legal IT conference and saw the potential of Actionstep. Over the years since I first signed up with Actionstep it has moved with the times, constantly improving but also constantly delivering the tools, staff satisfaction and safety that regulators, staff and most importantly clients have come to expect.

Pros

The ability to build my practice management system my way, using tools available within Actionstep and also through the integration of other applications.

Cons

The need to manually link incoming emails to matter files. I mention this because I came to love the ability to create a unique email address for each and every matter, but I do acknowledge that the need for higher levels of security is the reason that this feature had to be retired.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your fantastic review. Its great to hear after all these years Actionstep continues to grow with your firm.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact our customer success or support teams should you have any questions.

Malinda
  • Industry: Law Practice

Lots to love about this program

Reviewed on 2017/03/06

Overall I recommend ActionStep to other law firms. It has vastly improved our office workflow, and the various customizable features enable our employees to address clients' needs more efficiently. The ActionStep support staff are accessible and responsive to any challenges we face, whether they involve addressing problems or learning how to implement new features.

What we love:
- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Case dashboard: the "one stop shop" for all basic info related to a case (employees involved, clients, other important players in the case, calendar appointments, notes, etc.)
- Contact records that exist independently of cases but may be linked to cases -- so updating a contact applies changes across the board
- Newsfeed-style case notes with tag options to identify notes as "important," "call," etc.
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Integration with MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) that allows case data to be merged into documents and e-mails and allows users to assign e-mails to cases
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Document portal that allows clients and other parties to securely exchange documents with the firm
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

The most challenging aspect of ActionStep is the initial setup (hence my three-star rating for "ease of use"). There is no sugar-coating it: the downside of all those wonderful customizable features is that someone in your organization has to do all the customizing. It's a lengthy process, and the initial data migration can also be time-consuming, but the friendly support staff are available to assist throughout the process. For us the end result has been well worth the challenging setup process.

The ActionStep developers are constantly working on improvements to the program, including ways to make it integrate with other types of software and responding to users' suggestions. Occasionally the updates cause hiccups in the system, but they are typically short-lived. We genuinely appreciate the drive to improve the product and the responsiveness to users' wishes.

Pros

- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

Cons

- Challenging initial setup (customization of features)
- Cumbersome process to unlock encrypted zip files after backup request
- Previous difficulty with calendar integration caused problems with client scheduling and has made us skittish about returning to use of the calendar, even though we see this as a high-value feature of ActionStep

Peter
  • Industry: Legal Services

Upsides: File Management Downsides: Software Bugs, Customer Service, Integrations, and Set-up...

Reviewed on 2022/03/03

Unfortunately, the customer service is not up to par of that of our previous software, expect to receive a response from their support team 24-48 hours after you have contacted them. They have never answered the phone when I've called for immediate support, so I've stop trying this and just email even though i feel like for the amount we are paying we should be receiving quicker support.

Pros

We like the matter dashboard a lot and it's probably the firms favorite feature since all the most important information is readily available.

Cons

INTEGRATIONS:

If you're looking to switch to AS because of the integrations they offer make sure they actually work exactly how you intend them to.

Lawpay: If you use lawpay their integration is useless since it only grabs new charges and does not include any past due amounts. I brought this up because we really wanted this to function, but we were told they would not fix the issue.

InfoTrack - One of the reasons we switched to AS and they don't actually integrate in US, even though their website states they do...

Outlook - The bottom bar of the desktop version may not bill the correct amount. I asked for this to be fixed since it's easier to use this bar than the right bar they have, but it's been over 9 months...

BILLING:

If you close your billing at the end of the month be prepared to manually enter Trust payments to allocate the funds on the closing date and not for the next billing cycle, since the automated billing will automatically post these payments on the date you are running them, not on the date which you wish will be allocated. Another feature I have brought up, but essentially fell on deaf ears.

If you work with probate matters where you don't bill your time, so you input a $0 amount, and you have matters that weren't worked on for the month, you cannot filter out between the two, so you'll end up printing bills for all matters. This is something i asked to have fixed in July 2021 and have yet to hear back regarding a fix (3/3/22)

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your feedback. I have passed this on to our product team.

I have also passed on your details to our Customer Success Manager who will reach out to you to find solutions for these pain points.

Thanks,
Matt

Carolyn
  • Industry: Legal Services

An all round good system and makes legal practice easier and more efficient

Reviewed on 2022/08/02

Overall an excellent experience

Overall an excellent experience

Pros

The fact that the product integrates both legal case management and business management in a single platform

Cons

The plugin with Office products can be problematic sometimes. The plug in drops off when the user logs into a different device

LEAP

Reasons for Choosing Actionstep

To improve efficiency and functionality

Reckon One

Reasons for Switching to Actionstep

Overall a better product and better pricing

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you so much for such a positive review!

Great to hear you and your firm are seeing the benefits of our all-in-one solution!

Leslie

It works!

Reviewed on 2023/03/29

Pros

It has a bit of a learning curve to get started, more so than some others, but it's not terrible (and I am not a techie); then it just *works*. I've been very happy with it, get great customer service when I have a question, and do not know why everyone isn't using it.

Cons

I wish it did automatic contingency fee billing and that the contacts in a company were more integrated with the company (but that may be my problem and not the software).

Response from Actionstep Software

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Actionstep! It's awesome to hear that despite the learning curve, you've had a great experience with the software and have received top-notch customer service.

It's also great to hear that you appreciate the customization and human aspect of Actionstep. Your feedback on the automatic contingency fee billing and contact integration is noted too & will be passed on to the product team.

Thanks again

Briana

Awesome Product!

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Overall, our experience with Actionstep has been great and has made the office much more efficient so that our clients receive top quality work.

Pros

We like how we can use our workflows to track each client thru the process. The reporting we receive is great and helps us stay on top of our business.

Cons

The accounting reports cannot be changed and at times the accounting functions don't work the way we would want them to.

Response from Actionstep Software

Briana - thank you for such a positive review. Delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great. Just wanted to mention that we continually make updates to our product, including to the accounting function, so if you do have specific requests or suggestions, do funnel them through [email protected] so our product team can review them in light of upcoming development. Thanks again!

Great Productivity Tool but Additional/Improved Integrations Needed

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Pros

The timekeeping functions, file notes, and overall organization into workflows are tremendous features. Once customized and part of daily practice, Actionstep makes task management much more efficient.

Cons

Gmail/G-Suite integrations are lacking. We are unable to automatically log emails that originate in Gmail. Emailing directly from Actionstep takes care of the record keeping, but we often lose the formatting of our email signatures despite best attempts to keep it true-to-form.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi,

Wonderful to hear your firm is seeing tremendous results from Workflow within Actionstep. It's a common theme of from firms to see similar benefits once they dive into Workflow.

If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected] so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development.

Jamie
Jamie
  • Industry: Legal Services

Poor customer service and communication

Reviewed on 2023/08/25

Very fussy product which is very hard to customise.

Very fussy product which is very hard to customise.

Pros

After hacking through the very long set up process (years) and very steep learning curve (we're lucky we're strong with IT) it does most of what we need it to do.

Cons

It's started jumping matter numbers. The last normal matter number was 620. The next number it generated was 653 and today the new number is 686. We've sent multiple emails to support and they have been generic fob off responses for critical, time sensitive issues which affect our trust accounting. We couldn't be more disappointed. After four years of using this product, I've finally been annoyed enough to write this review. Hopelessly inadequate response.

• Industry: Legal Services

Great if you have time to customize

Reviewed on 2018/10/17

The ease of keeping track of the lifecycle of our matters makes this well worth it. I spent hours following the tutorials on how to customize it to tailor it to my specific practice. But I think they purposely make them a little vague so you'll have to resort to hiring a consultant to tailor the program. Overall it's totally worth it, but I wish it was more user friendly to customize myself.

Pros

This software is an elegant solution for volume practices that categorizes matters in useful and dynamic ways, and is interactive so you can keep track of the progress of each individual matter.

Cons

It's expensive to customize because you have to pay for a consultant to work with you on it.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thanks for your review, and I'm happy to hear your likelihood to recommend Actionstep is 8/10.

I did want to clarify that we definitely don't try to make our tutorials vague. Our customers vary from IT Managers within larger firms, to solos, so it's a fine balance between making our guides too technical, and making them user friendly for all our customers.

Richard
Richard

Actionstep evaluation

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

We've been able to somewhat streamline our practice administration, and we like how all case information can be contained in one place

Pros

e-mail integration is easy and seamless
highly customizable
excellent document management

Cons

steep learning curve
weak online training materials
requires a consultant to truly make it work
our version does not yet sync with Quickbooks

Response from Actionstep Software

Richard - thanks for taking the time to review Actionstep - it's great to hear such positive comments about email and document management. I just wanted to acknowledge your comments on training. We are working on improvements to our on-boarding materials will most certainly use your feedback to improve training. I will ask someone in our our support team to get in touch with you about your Quickbooks Sync. Thanks again and do get in touch with our support team anytime you need help: [email protected]

Jennifer

Great Features with Not So Great Service

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Overall it's been a decent system. There is room for improvement, but ultimately it does give you a lot of customization for a better price than a lot of cloud based services out there.

Pros

You can customize it according to your needs, including custom reports and exports. It's easy to use on a daily basis and has an attractive platform that is well organized. It has it's own document storage, so you don't have to use two different programs/services to get it to work (such as box or another doc storage service) It does conflict checks and syncs with e-mail so you can assign e-mails as you send/receive them to the matter they are relevant to.

Cons

The customer support is terrible. Response time has been poor. When there is a response, it typically is, refer to the on-line manual. My spouse is an IT person, so I'm fairly computer program savvy. So I don't contact tech support unless I've gone through everything in the manual and tried everything I can think of first. When that is met with "look at the manual" it's beyond frustrating. Once we get past that, it usually doesn't take them long to get the issue resolved or walk me through what needs to be done to achieve the goal.

Also, in order to use the macros letters/documents where information auto-populates from your case into the letter or document, you pretty much have to be a computer programmer to get that to work.

Response from Actionstep Software

Jennifer, thanks for your feedback.

[Updated Aug 2020] -

Over the last year, we have focused on improving our support teams response rate & the quality of their responses. We now see upwards of 90% positive feedback after customers have dealt with our team and strive to improve that even further.

We apologize you had a poor experience with our team. If there is anything we can do to help you get the most from Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our team.

Ashley

Decent legal software

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

We keep track of our time better, and thus bill more.

We keep track of our time better, and thus bill more.

Pros

The best feature is the ability for everyone to enter their time contemporaneously. The customizable workflows are nice, though there is a bit of a learning curve to implement them. Also,it's nice to have practice management and accounting all rolled into one software.

Cons

Some of the reports aren't very good. The basic accounting reports, like the income statement and balance sheet, are fine. But some of the others, like the ones that look at time entries or payments by clients, are difficult to understand. They have some very fine nuances that aren't explained anywhere, and that makes it hard to make apples to apples comparisons if you have to use two different reports.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you have utilized Actionstep to make your firm more efficient and thus more billable time.

We understand our product is comprehensive and it sounds like you have started to customize it to your needs.

In regards to your custom reporting - I have put in a request to our Customer Success Manager who can help you create the reporting you require.

Benard

Worst support

Reviewed on 2023/03/23

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, and in many ways better than Leap

Cons

It has the worst customer service. No one responds and when they do, they don't get the problem and you have to explain yourself again and again. I hate their service. I hate their support. There's no phones number anywhere to contact them. I have an urgent issue and they don't care.

maricatherine

Why I love ActionStep

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

We have realized many benefits from ActionStep with respect to not only just organizing the firm's information but the fact that it offers so much more regarding document saving (cloud), billing, and portal capabilities. This, in turn, will save the firm a lot of money.

Pros

The product is easy to use. It provides many opportunities for making the running of a law firm a seamless process. The support is excellent. In our firm, we are able to keep tract of Matters, Clients, Calendars, and we are just starting to use ActionStep more in-depth with respect to storing documents, creating correspondence, and billing. I cant say enough about how this software helps to organize our small firm and keeps us on track with respect to keeping track of revenue goals, etc.

Cons

Integration in our firm was somewhat difficult only due to time constraints; nothing to do with the product itself.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Maricatherine,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you have had an excellent experience with our support team.

We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great.

Scott

Effective and Efficient Law Practice Management

Reviewed on 2016/08/26

Pros

I now have an almost complete solution to practice management. Before, I had no system, no way of keeping things straight. But then I started to become too busy to keep track of things in my mind, and it started getting chaotic. That's where Actionstep has saved my practice from disorganization. I track all of my time and do all of my billing from Actionstep. I keep my entire database of contacts on Actionstep. Trust ledger accounting is great. Tasks, calendar reminders, document storage, file notes. It's all great. When a client calls, I quickly pull up their file and *bam*, there's everything. There are many other useful features that I know I just haven't even tapped into yet.

Cons

- There is a pretty steep learning curve, and the user guides aren't always that helpful. Sometimes I find myself spending 20 minutes trying to figure out a very simple thing, like how to reopen a matter that I accidentally closed.
- Before using Actionstep, I kept everything on Google Drive. Great, Actionstep integrates Google Drive. But not as well as I would like it to be integrated. I had to do a series of workarounds with Google Drive to get it *sort of* how I would like it to be. When you open a new matter, Actionstep creates a folder on Google Drive, but the folder is only the matter number. So if you're typing a document and want to use File > Save As > Google Drive, then good luck finding the folder. Instead every time I open a matter on Actionstep, I immediately find the folder it creates on Google Drive, then rename it to my matter name.
- I would like a place to track mileage for business expense reimbursement. You can add things like this to matter disbursements, but I don't see a way to do it practice-wide.
- I haven't gotten the Google email integration to work properly. Actionstep puts odd things in the subject lines of my outgoing email, so I stick to using Google's platform for that.
- Document upload sometimes hangs when you try to do more than a couple files at once, but I'm not really using it because I'm keeping everything on Google Drive.

Jinny

This product does everything that we were hoping for!

Reviewed on 2017/08/23

Pros

I think I trialed almost all of the major case management software companies out there and this company blew all of the others out of the water for me. The product is reliable and does exactly what we need. Before we purchased this product I had to do most of my work manually and things would slip through the cracks. This product has resolved that issue. I also love the document generation feature and how deeply the product integrates with Microsoft Office Suite. Not having to type each document from scratch saves so much time!

I personally enjoy how highly customizable the product is. I'm constantly pleasantly surprised to find new features it has that make my life easier. Some may complain that you need a third party firm to get you off of the ground and running, but I set up the entire system for my team by just reading their User Guide and talking to customer support.

The price was another selling point for us. We're a local county government agency operating on a small budget so this price tag works well within what we could afford. The customer support is phenomenal. They try very hard to make their customers (or potential customers) very happy. Having our cases in a secure cloud means that we can work from anywhere which has greatly improved the way that we work.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is looking to get away from paper files and who wants to learn how technology can make your life easier and more organized.

Jennifer

Love this Legal Practice Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Everyone in our uses Actionstep daily - from saving emails to a matter to organizing documents in folders, to linking appointments in the calendar, to emailing bills and tracking unbilled or unpaid items.

Pros

This software is intuitive and easy to use. It is logical, very organized and user friendly - similar to using an app on your phone. The calendar is great too! This is miles above any other legal software I have used.

Cons

I wish the developers would figure out a way to import contact addresses to correspondence. Also, the accounting software can be a little cumbersome and has a learning curve.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for such a positive review. We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great.

I have passed your feedback on to the product team.

John
  • Industry: Insurance

Florida Hurricane Adjusters

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

We are very please with the results and organization this program gives us!!!!

We are very please with the results and organization this program gives us!!!!

Pros

Very customizable!!!! This gives us everything we need to sort through as many files as we give it! We can sort via very specific criteria!

Cons

Although we are the kind of people that put a lot of time into things we want exactly the way we want them, we don't believe too many others are willing to put in the time to learn this program to customize it to their liking. The people that do put in the time will be greatly rewarded. This is the best program for Law Firms and Public Adjusters.

Response from Actionstep Software

John - thank you for your really positive comments about Actionstep. We are delighted you have customized the system to the way you want it to work for Florida Hurricane Adjusters. One of the things we believe in at Actionstep is supporting unique and valuable ways of working!

So close!

Reviewed on 2022/12/28

Main features looked good enough, but without the ability to charge 2 sales taxes this was a non-starter for me.

Pros

The automation is fantastic. Once you learn how to use the triggers and actions effectively you can run a much smoother operation.

Cons

No option for 2 sales taxes, which is essential in my jurisdiction.

Clio

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you found the automation in our platform to be fantastic, and that it's helped you run a smoother operation.

We're sorry to hear that we did not have the specified options for taxes that you require. We understand that this is an important feature for your jurisdiction, and we'll take your feedback into account as we continue to improve and update our platform.

We appreciate you considering Actionstep as a potential solution and apologize that we weren't able to meet all of your needs at this time. If you have any further feedback or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Mark

Best Practice Management Software for running your practice as a checklist/process

Reviewed on 2016/01/19

If you want a practice management system that actually will ensure you do not miss a step when undertaking a certain piece of legal work, then ActionStep is your best solution. I have tried other practice management solutions, but none of them take the unique approach of allowing you to drive each of your client matters in a series of logical steps/actions so you do not miss any essential task when carrying out a legal process.

The cons are that it can take some time to set up your own processes. There is a fair bit of learning involved and the user guide can be hard to follow at times. But they are developing this continually and when in doubt you can raise a help ticket and their team get back to you fairly promptly.

If you do not love setting up systems, I would engage someone to do this for you (I believe they have consultants who can help with this). The payoff of having a checklisted process with powerful document assembly is huge and will really make your practice more efficient.

I do not run a trust account so cannot comment on the accounting feature, but I do generate my bills and this is fairly simple. I can generate a bill and email it to a client in a matter of minutes. And unlike other practice management systems, I can use my exact .docx template as the basis for my bill - I am not limited by a particular bill format. The integration with Xero also works well for me.

I would have given this five stars if there was better integration with other apps, like Gmail, but I understand that integration with Zapier is forthcoming in Q1 of 2016 which will make this a very powerful system. Looking forward to that enhanced capability.'

Overall, I have been using the system for several years and would not move to anything else because there is no other product that I am aware of that has the built-in action-based logic for different matter types like ActionStep has.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you for the feedback Mark.

Max
  • Industry: Legal Services

Finicky platform - arbitratry and unpredictable pricing

Reviewed on 2023/05/16

Terrible. Would not recommend. Looking for alternative providers now.

Terrible. Would not recommend. Looking for alternative providers now.

Pros

Decent practice management software, but terrible pricing structure. Have changed pricing drastically in the last couple of years and just introduced new access fee component which drastically increased cost of subscription

Cons

See above notes on costs. Do not recommend.

anne

NO buyers remorse here

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Pros

its ability to intergrate calendar/ email / documents into one plac.e

Cons

adding things can be difficult, it can be very slow and freeze.
It is difficult to load letter heads etc if they are not the selected size

More compatibility with MAC would be better

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Anne - thanks for your great review. I just wanted to follow up to let you know that we have recently released an update to our system to allow Mac users to more easily edit and manage documents. See an overview and further resources here: https://blog.actionstep.com/making-document-management-easier-for-actionsteps-mac-users

Joe

Actionstep is a powerful practice management solution, but that power comes with its own...

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

Pros

Actionstep is nearly infinitely customizable, and its orientation around workflows offers great promise for automating certain routine tasks. The user interface is logical, and each screen is packed with the information you would expect to see. The layout minimizes unnecessary keystrokes and scrolling to find the most important information related to a case or a contact. Document automation works very well. Likewise, time keeping is straightforward and easy. Recent upgrades have improved the billing process significantly.

Cons

Power comes at a price, in this case in the form of time. Actionstep is not an application for the faint of heart or those unwilling to devote significant time to onboarding and setup. Many users may find a consultant necessary to complete that process.

• Industry: Legal Services

works well but needs improvement

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

helpful that it is cloud based, can access anywhere

Cons

no advanced search function to search for all possible results

Response from Actionstep Software

Thanks for your positive feedback. Just a quick tip on Advanced Search. If you go to the "More.." menu in the top navigation bar you will find an "Advanced Search" option (if you don't see this menu it might be a permission setting. Our support team can help you with that [email protected]).
You can also use our Conflict Check report as an advanced search with many filters.
Hope that helps

Jason

Atrocious Customer Support

Reviewed on 2022/06/28

Our business remains potentially exposed by Actionstep's limitations and their failure to acknowledge or fix them.

Pros

Generally pretty good system to use, but don't believe all the features they offer are actually implemented properly.

Cons

Emails "stored" in their system are lost and/or corrupted and are irretrievable.
Once a ticket is raised with their support you will be ignored.