Actionstep

More headspace for what really matters

4,4
4,2
4,2
3,9
4,1
Daniel danny R.
Industry: Law Practice

Stick with it - it's amazing

Reviewed on 2020/07/08

Overall, it has been fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was incredibly helpful, easy going, and keen to answer my questions. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] also incredibly knowledgeable and honest in his suggestions, I think he was one of the main reasons I decided to proceed with Actionstep - and I am very happy with that decision.

Pros

The features and functionality built in to Actionstep are amazing. This is a company that actually understands legal practice and legal software. I am impressed that Actionstep offer features that should be standard in every legal software, but aren't always included.

Cons

It does take some time to get used to it and to actually make it work for you. The key is to actually spend time using it and customising it to your needs. This isn't a plug and play solution out of the box, and firms will need to take time to make sure that they have configured it to meet their needs.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Daniel.

Fantastic to hear you are making the most of the functionality built into actionstep - we pride ourselves on being an All-In-One solution.

If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to contact our support team on [email protected] or in our in-app chat.

Brahm D.
Industry: Legal Services

Actionstep still the best but not yet perfect

Reviewed on 2020/10/16

Overall, I've been very happy with Actionstep. I get the most satisfaction when I get a new client and need to create a document that I have set up document assembly for, and am able to generate in seconds a document that would have taken an hour or more to create manually.

Pros

Document assembly tools are the most powerful of the many cloud based law practice management systems I have looked at. CLIO's document assembly comes close, but not quite as powerful. It is also the most customizable cloud based law practice management system I have tested.

Cons

Options for integration with accounting and invoicing software is fairly limited. Learning curve is a bit steeper than other cloud based systems. They seem to have heard these concern and over the past four years that I've been using Actionstep, and their development team has making progress on these two fronts. They aren't perfect yet, but they seem to be continually improving.

Damien H.
Industry: Law Practice

Catastrophic customer service and lack of common sense - too bad, it's a promising software

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Given these problems, we are preparing our exit. It is an economic disaster for us (losses in implementation and losses on invoicing).

Pros

Powerful and easily editable workflow engine. Really.

Mass billing features.

Customizable fields.

Extremely powerful templating.

Cons

Bugs in invoicing and accounting made me lose a lot of money. Despite corrections, some invoices do not appear at the customer level and we work in files with open balances. It's very stressful, too.

Money flows are case centred, not customer centred. This is highly problematic (retainers go on a case and not on the client, so you have to open X tabs for X cases opened in this client to make sure you are not going to send an invoice to a client who has provisioned you...).

User acceptance is difficult. It is complicated to require changes in workflows and field fills (this is not the responsibility of Actionstep, but don't think it will run by itself. You will need to coach your employees).

Customer service is catastrophic. I screamed for help when the system started to double-deduct (!) the retainers. It took 4 months to get a solution. In the meantime, I have continued to lose a lot of money.

I have doubts about their financial strength, since six months after I started using the software, I received a notice of license increase. When I asked for some help to switch to a cheaper license, I was told that it would not be possible to keep my data (!!!!).

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Damien, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience.

To address your feedback; we have expanded our support team and our support processes. We now have in-app chat direct to our team to help troubleshoot any issues that arise. Additionally - we have made numerous improvement to simplify our software.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Dan K.
Industry: Legal Services

Workflows Good! But Search, Integration with other software, and Document Generation need work.

Reviewed on 2020/08/06

We are happy with the workflows. We like that we are able to access our client data from anywhere with internet. We are disappointed in our ability to utilize all the data we have stored because of the terrible document and data search functions, limited document generation abilities and difficulty importing or exporting data to other software we use for drafting and client contact.

Pros

Workflows, workflows, workflows. They help us keep our law office on track and help us keep deadlines and make sure we do not miss a step in complicated transactions.
We like that Actionstep seems to be trying to improve the product.

Cons

Search is terrible! Searching for documents is useless. Searching for contacts by employer/place of work is impossible. These are basic things a law office needs to do, and this software is a hindrance to getting work done because of its awful search capabilities. Also, the fact that you can only see so many results on a page is maddening.
Imagine that you want to search your contacts and get a list of contacts that live in a certain city. You want to select them all and send an email or something. NOPE! Search results are limited to 200, no matter how many contacts you have from that city, and you can only see 10 per page, and the results are not sortable; they come in random order. Also, there is no way to select them all and take any action like sednding them all an email within the program.
Copy and paste of contact info is also impossible. I have many opportunities during a week to send one person the contact info for another person. Actionstep has no way for me to easily do this. There is no button to click, function to use or work-around for selecting a contact and getting that contact's info onto the clipboard for pasting into a document or email. You can bring up the contact and drag your mouse over various places on the contact form to copy the address, then do it again for the name, then do it again for the email address, then do it again for the phone number, then do it again for the fax number. But be careful not to *click on the(I ran out of space on this form)

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Gary S.

Small NY Metro Area Law Firm, T&E

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

We find it perfectly fits our needs.

Pros

Comprehensive features, simple interface

Cons

Like all similar programs out there, use of templates and other excellent advanced features requires regular use, or expense of consultants.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Gary,

Thank you for such a positive review.

In regards to your comment on making use of templates & advanced features - we are making these more accessible to all users by producing more guides, videos, webinars & product tours. These are all free to access & will be kept up to date as we release & improve features.

Should your firm need a more hands-on solution, we have expanded our Customer Success team who can help guide you to the right guides or put you in touch with a partner who can assist.

If you need any help or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team at [email protected]

Thanks again.

Ozzy O.

Actionstep Workflows

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

We were using a very archaic system with Time Matters. Since Actionstep is completely cloud base and accessed via a browser we were able to deploy it to all our remote locations without the need of installing and maintaining software. It was the best move we ever made.

Pros

Actionstep automates task and reporting. Having the ability to customize it via workflows is a huge advantage for us. We also use the document merge features very heavily.

Cons

The home screen dashboard can use some design updates with relevant information.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Ozzy, great to hear you found the transition from Time Matters very positive. We love to hear users making the most of our customizable workflow as well.

Carol W.
Industry: Legal Services

Lots of Customization options, but lacking some basic common sense

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Mixed. A number of positive features, but also a number of time consuming and expensive issues to set it up and keep going, and almost "TOO" much for our needs, since it is missing some simple features.

Pros

For a small law office, there is a lot of potential to customize the matter setup and use different workflows. Also as a supervisor there is complete transparency so I see everything my support staff is doing, I like that the system does a complete backup of saved documents and matters. The Home page is very workable. And the timekeeping functions are good. I also really like the Microsoft Outook integration, even if I keep having to reboot it.

Cons

First, something simple. Make an "out of office" message available through the email system. When I set this up on my outlook, then even though it is integrated, if the client sends an email directly through the Actionstep platform,they do not receive that out of office message.

Second, the billing system is not user-friendly. First, the billing templates are a lot harder to set up than they should be, even with the pre-made templates. Second, the trust accounting is difficult to integrate into the bills. Yes, it is there but not in a way that is client friendly. Third, this is so simple I fail to understand why it isnt in place. Make some simple billing features automatic like the ability to print aging on a bill. They have a form for it but it just looks weird! And why shouldn't you just be able to carry over onto a new bill in an easy way. Other case management software has this in a very easy format. Also, when we upgraded to the new billing format there are some ongoing and permanent glitches that make my bookeeper's job harder.

Finally, this is a costly system compared to some others in the legal field. And we have received word that the cost is increasing. We will be in the process of reviewing other options. We may decide to stick with Actionstep since there are a lot of good features, but we don't feel strongly enough to keep it with a price increase down the road, even if we are "grandfathered" temporarily.

We hired a consultant to help us get it set up.

Response from Actionstep Software

Carol - thanks for taking the time to write the review. We really appreciate your positive comments about Actionstep - particularly regarding transparency and Microsoft Office Integration. You have a number of suggestions which I am going to take to our product development team - hearing feedback like this is really helpful for us in planning out future product development work. We will be in touch with you directly to discuss these further. Thanks again.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Leslie B.
Company size: Self Employed

A slower learning curve that completely pays off in the end

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

I love the app and highly recommend it. The integration between its web forms (you create forms in Actionstep then you just plug 'em into your site), the app, and documents is a huge time-saver. Although there is definitely a learning curve in the set-up, if you take your time to learn *how* it works, the logic will suddenly click in your brain and open up all the the possibilities for customization. It makes for an extremely efficient system in the end. One small warning: the creators are New Zealanders and so some of the English in the system and its documentation is not standard American--that may throw some folks. Me, I find it kind of a bonus (I studied linguistics so....).
As of this writing, I've been using Actionstep for two months and actually enjoy running my practice now, which seems a happily odd thing to say.

Pros

Actionstep is very customizable, but you don't need a degree in coding to do it--just a little patience. I'm a solo, not a tech geek, but I set it up myself. Now, the integrations between web forms and the app and document creation and document management (connects with MS 365) save me so much time. I also love the (again, customizable) matter lists so that I can see at a glance where each of my cases is and what's coming up. It quite simply works.

Cons

The help section--the old user guide is still the most helpful thing (even though out of date for some things) but it takes some digging to find it. Also, I wish it did contingency fees more directly, but the work-around isn't bad. Finally, I really hate the help chat tool being always visible in the lower right. I'd rather go to a contact AS for help page than have that thing lurking there, but that's a minor complaint.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Leslie

Thank you so much for your response.

We are so happy to hear you have dived into Actionstep and made the most of its customizable features. Thank you for your feedback concerning the help section and the chat, we are gathering feedback and looking to make these work great for everyone.

It is also fantastic to hear how you have been using integrations across Actionstep to help you transform how you run practice.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our support team ([email protected])

Fiona N.

Actionstep Review December 2019

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

The overall efficiencies of the product are brilliant. Increasing productivity of fee earners and support staff.

Pros

That its online. That its simple (mostly) to use. That parts of it are customisable. The support.

Cons

The trust administration functionality isn't the best. Infinity was much better!!!

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for such a positive review, we are delighted you to hear it has helped increase your firms' productivity.

Fantastic to hear you are customising Actionstep to fit your firm.

If you if have any question please do not hesitate to email [email protected] or use our in-app chat.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Great Productivity Tool but Additional/Improved Integrations Needed

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Pros

The timekeeping functions, file notes, and overall organization into workflows are tremendous features. Once customized and part of daily practice, Actionstep makes task management much more efficient.

Cons

Gmail/G-Suite integrations are lacking. We are unable to automatically log emails that originate in Gmail. Emailing directly from Actionstep takes care of the record keeping, but we often lose the formatting of our email signatures despite best attempts to keep it true-to-form.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi,

Wonderful to hear your firm is seeing tremendous results from Workflow within Actionstep. It's a common theme of from firms to see similar benefits once they dive into Workflow.

If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected] so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development.

Natalie W.
Industry: Law Practice

Our firm uses Actionstep's workflows to increase efficiency & deliver better value to our clients

Reviewed on 2017/12/21

We are able to increase efficiency & deliver better value to our clients because we have built automated tasks, checklists, templates, data collection, and deadlines at every step of the process. We know in advance which team member will complete the tasks, and we have peace of mind that nobody will miss anything. We can gather data about our files and make decisions based on real insight into our firm, rather than gut-based guesswork.

Pros

Actionstep allows you to build custom workflows that you can use to manage any aspect of your practice. We believe in workflows so much that we dedicated an entire podcast episode discussing our experience with another lawyer obsessed with workflows too.

We have over 50 workflows that help us to structure processes within our tax-litigation files, as well as for administrative matters, such as asking for client testimonials. We give our team peace of mind that nobody will miss anything as we have built in automated tasks, templates, checklists, and deadlines at every step of the process. We can make sure that the most appropriate team member performs each task. The workflows are also a great resource to help train new team members because we created detailed descriptions of how to complete each task with links to our internal knowledge base to give team members additional support where needed.

In addition to custom workflows, Actionstep also allows you to gather custom data so that we can make more informed decisions.

Cons

Actionstep is unique and sophisticated. However, Actionstep falls behind its competitors and is underdeveloped in some key areas, such as budgeting capabilities, template user experience, graphical displays, mobile applications, and reports.

Prospective users should not underestimate the commitment and resources required to build workflows and implement Actionstep. Building workflows requires time, money and, most importantly, grit. Not everyone is ready to make this investment in the future of their firm. Although you can outsource the technology aspect of inputting the workflows to the system, you need people within your firm identifying the steps and tasks that you want to build into the system. We are a very process-driven law firm with a lean focus, so Actionstep is perfect for us, but if you aren't familiar with process mapping it can be a daunting task.

When you get over the initial investment of mapping your processes, you will see first-hand how quickly Actionstep improves your firm's ability to grow and deliver better value to your clients.

We hope that Actionstep will continue to develop its product to address its limitations and bugs. Actionstep has promised that it is working to address the concerns that our firm and other users raise in the LinkedIn user forum and UserVoice feedback. We hope that Actionstep continues to improve the product, and we look forward to more progress. If so, we expect to continue to use Actionstep for a very long time.

Malinda J.
Industry: Law Practice

Lots to love about this program

Reviewed on 2017/03/06

Overall I recommend ActionStep to other law firms. It has vastly improved our office workflow, and the various customizable features enable our employees to address clients' needs more efficiently. The ActionStep support staff are accessible and responsive to any challenges we face, whether they involve addressing problems or learning how to implement new features.

What we love:
- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Case dashboard: the "one stop shop" for all basic info related to a case (employees involved, clients, other important players in the case, calendar appointments, notes, etc.)
- Contact records that exist independently of cases but may be linked to cases -- so updating a contact applies changes across the board
- Newsfeed-style case notes with tag options to identify notes as "important," "call," etc.
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Integration with MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) that allows case data to be merged into documents and e-mails and allows users to assign e-mails to cases
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Document portal that allows clients and other parties to securely exchange documents with the firm
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

The most challenging aspect of ActionStep is the initial setup (hence my three-star rating for "ease of use"). There is no sugar-coating it: the downside of all those wonderful customizable features is that someone in your organization has to do all the customizing. It's a lengthy process, and the initial data migration can also be time-consuming, but the friendly support staff are available to assist throughout the process. For us the end result has been well worth the challenging setup process.

The ActionStep developers are constantly working on improvements to the program, including ways to make it integrate with other types of software and responding to users' suggestions. Occasionally the updates cause hiccups in the system, but they are typically short-lived. We genuinely appreciate the drive to improve the product and the responsiveness to users' wishes.

Pros

- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases
- Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees
- Document folders with powerful search feature to easily locate documents
- Ability to create letter and other document templates that pre-populate cases
- Fantastic support staff and easy-to-follow tutorials

Cons

- Challenging initial setup (customization of features)
- Cumbersome process to unlock encrypted zip files after backup request
- Previous difficulty with calendar integration caused problems with client scheduling and has made us skittish about returning to use of the calendar, even though we see this as a high-value feature of ActionStep

Arthur L.
Industry: Legal Services

Need big improvement in billing system!!!

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

I used Actionstep in my previous company and it seems pretty good. However, after increasing the price, actionstep has not improved a lot and the billing system is still not work very good.

At the beginning I have asked for Actionstep partner for help. But they did not come back - so I set up the actionstep by myself. It seems some of the function cannot be fully utilised.

Pros

the display of the program is good and some of the support team is quite responsive

Cons

The invoice system is terrible as it is not able to add it back to the matter.

Further, the invoice system does not accept other currency billing method - this must be changed asap. Other CRM can amend the invoice on the matter file - not like actionstep need to download and upload the documents manually - that's ridiculous

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Arthur

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and we very sorry you haven't had a great experience.

We have made significant upgrades to our billing since this review and hope you have had the opportunity to try them. Additionally, we have recently released our Lawpay add-on which should help amend some of the issues raised here.

Addressing your questions around implementation, our support team is available to answer any queries you may have to make the most of our software - [email protected]

Jennifer H.

Great Features with Not So Great Service

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Overall it's been a decent system. There is room for improvement, but ultimately it does give you a lot of customization for a better price than a lot of cloud based services out there.

Pros

You can customize it according to your needs, including custom reports and exports. It's easy to use on a daily basis and has an attractive platform that is well organized. It has it's own document storage, so you don't have to use two different programs/services to get it to work (such as box or another doc storage service) It does conflict checks and syncs with e-mail so you can assign e-mails as you send/receive them to the matter they are relevant to.

Cons

The customer support is terrible. Response time has been poor. When there is a response, it typically is, refer to the on-line manual. My spouse is an IT person, so I'm fairly computer program savvy. So I don't contact tech support unless I've gone through everything in the manual and tried everything I can think of first. When that is met with "look at the manual" it's beyond frustrating. Once we get past that, it usually doesn't take them long to get the issue resolved or walk me through what needs to be done to achieve the goal.

Also, in order to use the macros letters/documents where information auto-populates from your case into the letter or document, you pretty much have to be a computer programmer to get that to work.

Response from Actionstep Software

Jennifer, thanks for your feedback.

[Updated Aug 2020] -

Over the last year, we have focused on improving our support teams response rate & the quality of their responses. We now see upwards of 90% positive feedback after customers have dealt with our team and strive to improve that even further.

We apologize you had a poor experience with our team. If there is anything we can do to help you get the most from Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our team.

Scott M.

Effective and Efficient Law Practice Management

Reviewed on 2016/08/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I now have an almost complete solution to practice management. Before, I had no system, no way of keeping things straight. But then I started to become too busy to keep track of things in my mind, and it started getting chaotic. That's where Actionstep has saved my practice from disorganization. I track all of my time and do all of my billing from Actionstep. I keep my entire database of contacts on Actionstep. Trust ledger accounting is great. Tasks, calendar reminders, document storage, file notes. It's all great. When a client calls, I quickly pull up their file and *bam*, there's everything. There are many other useful features that I know I just haven't even tapped into yet.

Cons

- There is a pretty steep learning curve, and the user guides aren't always that helpful. Sometimes I find myself spending 20 minutes trying to figure out a very simple thing, like how to reopen a matter that I accidentally closed.
- Before using Actionstep, I kept everything on Google Drive. Great, Actionstep integrates Google Drive. But not as well as I would like it to be integrated. I had to do a series of workarounds with Google Drive to get it *sort of* how I would like it to be. When you open a new matter, Actionstep creates a folder on Google Drive, but the folder is only the matter number. So if you're typing a document and want to use File > Save As > Google Drive, then good luck finding the folder. Instead every time I open a matter on Actionstep, I immediately find the folder it creates on Google Drive, then rename it to my matter name.
- I would like a place to track mileage for business expense reimbursement. You can add things like this to matter disbursements, but I don't see a way to do it practice-wide.
- I haven't gotten the Google email integration to work properly. Actionstep puts odd things in the subject lines of my outgoing email, so I stick to using Google's platform for that.
- Document upload sometimes hangs when you try to do more than a couple files at once, but I'm not really using it because I'm keeping everything on Google Drive.

Peter M.

Why I love ActionStep - Australian Lawyer

Reviewed on 2017/04/11

After making my own practice management system (in the 1990's before there were any commercially made products available) and then trying numerous products over the years, I have finally settled upon ActionStep as the ultimate system.

Why? Because ActionStep is the first to provide me with a set of tools, as well as a framework, so that I can customise the system as I please.

I don't want to be told what's available in a system, and why it operates the way it does. I want to know what a system is capable of, and how I can make it do what I want it to do. ActionStep is the only system to gives me this freedom.

On top of this ActionStep is secure, robust and easy to learn, and support is always there.

I ask my own clients to review the service they have received from me, and I'm always pleased when a client is so satisfied as to write a review. So, when one of my providers gives me a product and service that exceeds my expectations, and continues to deliver with support and improvements, I feel duty-bound to let everyone know.

Pros

Its power, security and ease of use.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Peter!

Briana M.

Awesome Product!

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Overall, our experience with Actionstep has been great and has made the office much more efficient so that our clients receive top quality work.

Pros

We like how we can use our workflows to track each client thru the process. The reporting we receive is great and helps us stay on top of our business.

Cons

The accounting reports cannot be changed and at times the accounting functions don't work the way we would want them to.

Response from Actionstep Software

Briana - thank you for such a positive review. Delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great. Just wanted to mention that we continually make updates to our product, including to the accounting function, so if you do have specific requests or suggestions, do funnel them through [email protected] so our product team can review them in light of upcoming development. Thanks again!

Ashley S.

Decent legal software

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

We keep track of our time better, and thus bill more.

Pros

The best feature is the ability for everyone to enter their time contemporaneously. The customizable workflows are nice, though there is a bit of a learning curve to implement them. Also,it's nice to have practice management and accounting all rolled into one software.

Cons

Some of the reports aren't very good. The basic accounting reports, like the income statement and balance sheet, are fine. But some of the others, like the ones that look at time entries or payments by clients, are difficult to understand. They have some very fine nuances that aren't explained anywhere, and that makes it hard to make apples to apples comparisons if you have to use two different reports.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you have utilized Actionstep to make your firm more efficient and thus more billable time.

We understand our product is comprehensive and it sounds like you have started to customize it to your needs.

In regards to your custom reporting - I have put in a request to our Customer Success Manager who can help you create the reporting you require.

Tammy E.

Great for law office

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

Pros

It was easy to integrate and allows all team members to access all information from anywhere with an internet connection. Including file notes, emails and documents as well as time records. You can set tasks and monitor the step a matter is on with ease.

Cons

Integration with Outlook is good but not able to upload documents or attach documents if using Office 365

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you are using our add-in for Office 365. To you comment on being able to upload & attach documents - this is now a supported feature.

We are continuing to improve the add-in but if you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected] so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development.

Bob M.

Cloud legal practice management with the functionality of premise-based applications

Reviewed on 2015/03/13

The breadth and depth of Actionstep's features are quite impressive for a cloud-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) product. Its functionality can compete with the best of the premise-based practice management programs, and it has the "any time, anywhere" advantages of a cloud-based system.

It offers unlimited custom case fields by practice type, so you can automatically have a statute of limitations field in a PI case and an Estate Plan Type in an Estate Planning matter. All fields can be used to merge documents and emails(!) using Actionstep's internal merge function or HotDocs.

Your standard tasks and document/email merges can be created automatically as the case proceeds from one step to the next, so that when a bankruptcy case is filed a letter to the client with the 341 meeting date, time, and place is created automatically.

Views can show filtered lists of cases, tasks, or appointments that need your attention. Any of these lists (think PI cases that have outstanding medical records requests, overdue high-priority tasks, or all court dates in the next 30 days) can be emailed to you automatically each day so you can prepare for your day if you schedule the email in the morning, or the next day if you schedule the email at night, without having to log into Actionstep.

Because Actionstep has such a wide range of features, it can be challenging to configure it for your practice and to learn how to use it, but that's true whenever you compare a program with more functions (think Word) to one with fewer functions (think Notepad). If you don't need the additional functionality, stick with the simplest solution that meets your needs. But if you do need the additional functionality (case management, document/email management, billing, and accounting), then you may want to consider hiring a consultant to guide you through the implementation. (Do you prepare your own tax return or do you hire an accountant?) Full disclosure: We are an Actionstep Certified Consultant/Partner.

There's nothing else on the market that has Actionstep's range of functionality in a cloud-based practice management system that can be configured for the specific needs of different practice areas, and tailored to an individual firm's practices and procedures. If you're looking for a complete end-to-end practice management solution, especially if you don't want the cost and potential headaches of a local area network, you should take a look at Actionstep.

Charles D.

Welcome addition for UK law firms

Reviewed on 2015/03/12

We moved to ActionStep from a well-known cloud-based practice management system about a year ago. Although we are a small firm, the reality is that even small law firms have their share of admin and the need to demonstrate good procedures. We found that the other systems aimed at small law firms were certainly simple, but were too short on functionality. The biggest improvement for us was finally moving to a system which had a fully integrated accounts system. We also noticed big improvements when it came to extracting and reporting on data.

ActionStep includes a very full set of features which would cater for much bigger organisations. This does mean that the initial set-up requires some thought and we'd recommend having a consultant guide you through the steps. It is possible to take things a step at a time, and the level of effort and complexity is proportionate the the benefits of the system. Our previous system was possible to use pretty much out-of-the-box, but we fairly quickly found that it didn't have the sophistication to do some fairly basic things.

The workflow capabilities are a sound way to ensure that we adhere properly to procedures such as conflict searches, setting up new clients and new matters. By leading a user through the steps, there's no need to rely on the users having to remember to follow a policy document. Our office manual was over 100 pages long, but many of the requirements are now built into ActionStep. The trick is not to over-engineer this. You want a workflow which supports your work, not one which requires all the stars to line up before you can successfully start a new project.

ActionStep is a new entrant to the UK market, with an HQ in New Zealand and operations in the US. There is now a local UK presence and we've also found that the NZ team are very adaptable to handling requests from the UK. Our consultant managed to be chirpy on the phone even when I knew we were calling in the very early hours of her morning.

We've seen several significant new features rolled out during our use, so we're pleased with the ongoing investment in improvements. The latest time recording system has proved very popular in our office.

There are a few features which the accounting system doesn't handle compared to our previous system (such as automatically posting VAT returns to HMRC) but the gaps have proved very minor compared to the gains from having the accounts system fully integrated with matter management.

Lachlan S.

Actionstep review

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

We have been able to automate our invoicing which has allowed more time to be spent on other matters.

We now have greater oversight as to how much time is spent is certain matter.

Pros

Ease of use, ability to automate a number of tasks, oversight of office time.

Cons

Inability to convert $ format to € format, for example $4,000.85 needs to be manually converted to 4.000,85€ and 1.5 hours manually converted to 1,5 hours.

Inability to customise the automatic email that is sent to client portal users to grant them access.

Inability to select size and font of text that will automatically be generated when copying text from Actionstep system to a word document.

Sections of the system still refer to GST when using a different tax.

Inability to change a matter type once a matter has been created, instead a completely new matter with a different matter type needs to be created.

Maricatherine M.

Why I love ActionStep

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

We have realized many benefits from ActionStep with respect to not only just organizing the firm's information but the fact that it offers so much more regarding document saving (cloud), billing, and portal capabilities. This, in turn, will save the firm a lot of money.

Pros

The product is easy to use. It provides many opportunities for making the running of a law firm a seamless process. The support is excellent. In our firm, we are able to keep tract of Matters, Clients, Calendars, and we are just starting to use ActionStep more in-depth with respect to storing documents, creating correspondence, and billing. I cant say enough about how this software helps to organize our small firm and keeps us on track with respect to keeping track of revenue goals, etc.

Cons

Integration in our firm was somewhat difficult only due to time constraints; nothing to do with the product itself.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Maricatherine,

Thank you for such a positive review.

Great to hear you have had an excellent experience with our support team.

We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great.

Industry: Legal Services

Great if you have time to customize

Reviewed on 2018/10/17

The ease of keeping track of the lifecycle of our matters makes this well worth it. I spent hours following the tutorials on how to customize it to tailor it to my specific practice. But I think they purposely make them a little vague so you'll have to resort to hiring a consultant to tailor the program. Overall it's totally worth it, but I wish it was more user friendly to customize myself.

Pros

This software is an elegant solution for volume practices that categorizes matters in useful and dynamic ways, and is interactive so you can keep track of the progress of each individual matter.

Cons

It's expensive to customize because you have to pay for a consultant to work with you on it.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thanks for your review, and I'm happy to hear your likelihood to recommend Actionstep is 8/10.

I did want to clarify that we definitely don't try to make our tutorials vague. Our customers vary from IT Managers within larger firms, to solos, so it's a fine balance between making our guides too technical, and making them user friendly for all our customers.

Jinny S.

This product does everything that we were hoping for!

Reviewed on 2017/08/23

Pros

I think I trialed almost all of the major case management software companies out there and this company blew all of the others out of the water for me. The product is reliable and does exactly what we need. Before we purchased this product I had to do most of my work manually and things would slip through the cracks. This product has resolved that issue. I also love the document generation feature and how deeply the product integrates with Microsoft Office Suite. Not having to type each document from scratch saves so much time!

I personally enjoy how highly customizable the product is. I'm constantly pleasantly surprised to find new features it has that make my life easier. Some may complain that you need a third party firm to get you off of the ground and running, but I set up the entire system for my team by just reading their User Guide and talking to customer support.

The price was another selling point for us. We're a local county government agency operating on a small budget so this price tag works well within what we could afford. The customer support is phenomenal. They try very hard to make their customers (or potential customers) very happy. Having our cases in a secure cloud means that we can work from anywhere which has greatly improved the way that we work.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is looking to get away from paper files and who wants to learn how technology can make your life easier and more organized.