RationalPlan

Easy to use and affordable project management software

Scott B.

Very Effective Project Management Tool

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

I work with a lot of different customers and am constantly importing and exporting project plans (converting from MS Project). RationalPlan allows me to effectively and efficiently work with the plans in this mixed environment. I find it an essential tool for my business.

Pros

It is a native Mac program that imports and exports MS Project files efficiently.

Cons

I have had some issues over the years with specific bugs. But to their credit, RationalPlan has always been quick to respond with a resolution to the issues. I still seem to have some issues with the printing format and how it handles logos.

• Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

Pros

The software is very easy to pick up. I use this software for smaller project that require professional looking gantt chart but not the bells and whistles of more powerful software like P6. I can very quickly develop a project schedule without issue using this software.

Cons

The software doesn't have the same level of user created support compared to other more popular software like MS project. If I have a problem with MS project I can usually just google the problem and find something on a forum.

Tim S.

The Best Planning Software for Linux

Reviewed on 2015/05/29

I have trialled several planning software applications and have find that RationalPlan is the best I have come across. I am using the Single version, which is free for Linux users, for other OS there is a charge. There is MultiProject version which is not free.

Gantt Chart
Too many of the software I have looked at is too much like MS Project 2003 which looks very 1980's. Presentation is always an important issue for clients and indeed colleagues, and RationalPlan certainly ticks the right boxes as the colour of the bars can be changed in the Settings/Options. Trying to fit a gantt chart and data columns onto an A4 or A3 can always be a frustrating exercise, which ever software package you are using. In RationalPlan, however, the best way is through Reports/More/Gantt, where there are the options to help you to manipulate the image to fit on the size of paper.

There is one item that does puzzle me, is that the Gantt report option is hidden under "More" and not displayed in the drop-down menu.

Data
Data import is easy and anyone familiar with this type of project planning applications should not find it a problem. For beginners resource input will always present some problems, but trial and error should sort these out.

Data can by exported to xls either the whole data or through reports, for manipulation.

One of the annoying aspects of some planning software and versions of MS Project was the default setting for resource hours on the task duration which was Effort Driven resulting in the duration changing when the hours changed. In RationalPlan I am pleased to say that the default is Fixed Units, the changes which do not have an impact on the duration.

Customer support I have found is excellent having used it several times.

I would not hesitate in recommending RationalPlan as a planning software to Linux users.

Leonardo O.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

good but...

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

It's good value for money but the options to print the Gantt diagram are confused or non existent. There no options to limit the dates for the printing (ie. I want to print form january to september eventhough the Project goes to december), there is no option to copy the diagram to another application, so we have to print in PDF and then copy it, etc. It's not friendly for report elaboration.

Pros

Value for money, does the work

Cons

It's not very friendly, lack of features to ease the elaboration of reports

Laurel R.

Very nice and easy to use

Reviewed on 2016/12/09

My company was looking for a new project management software and RationalPlan kept popping up to the top. I was able to get a demo copy immediately (a big plus) and began using it right away. I was impressed. It was easy to use which is important because many of our end users need to get up and running quickly without a huge learning curve for all the bells and whistles. One of the features I really like is to be able to lock a date on a task or milestone when dependencies are enabled. Our last software kept moving this date which quickly became a nightmare. We needed the dates locked. I recommend this software.

Pros

Cons

I was getting an error about having tasks outside the project date range but couldn't find it. It was actually in the Info section for the Estimated Start Date. Once I found this, the errors went away.

John W.

Easy to use with Great Support

Reviewed on 2015/09/23

I switched to RationalPlan - Multi for my consulting business about four years ago, after using MS Project since about 1998.
I have been very happy with RPM and find it easier to use than MSP for the work I do.
What really stands out for me, though, is the support provided for RPM. There are regular updates, and the twice I have had to contact support my question or issue was resolved promptly.
What I would like to see improved is the printing output, although there are improvements being made in this area, and I look forward to the new releases.

Léopold H.

Very happy

Reviewed on 2015/02/26

I am a Sales Manager for Steelmaking equipment and using notes as an essential software for my organisation.
I was looking for software which could link to notes and would be easy to use and efficient as well.
After all of them have shown their limits, I have tried Rationalplan for multiple projects and found it so easy to use. I was especially happy to see that it fully works with MS Project files.
And for this great software, the price is really afordable.
Super, thanks for your great work.

Arun D.

Great Product!

Reviewed on 2018/11/10

Pros

Easy to use, very user friendly and excellent for project planning purposes.

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of anything that I would change about it.

Daniel C.

Quite good in general. To be improved: Resource Management and Estimation methods like MS...

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

In general it works pretty well.
It would be much better for me if the resource management / leverage would be easier and more graphical and able to be balanced between several projects. For instance, being much simplier, GanttProject has much better landscape view: http://ganttproject.biz/about
For Compatibility with MS project I would really like to have the same estimation variables: work, resource units and duration and with same default approach.

Mallory B.

RationalPlan

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

We use this product to create schedules and timelines for our projects. I've found it helpful as a central location for project info such as scope and budget. We use this to also create gaunt charts and timelines. It is very helpful to get the whole team on the same page, also if the time line shifts it shows where corresponding items will have to shift to.

Robert W.

Great Alternative to Microsoft Project

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

This app is everything you need for mpp files. Great value and easy to use. Also easy to print PDFs.

Pros

Ease of use and price.

Cons

No problems yet.

Debra C.

Great tool for short money

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

This tool is very close to MS Project, but at a fraction of the price. It is project management focused and user friendly.

Pros

Robust functionality

Cons

Interface could be more professional

Elisabeth W.

Ease of Use - Missing Function MULTI

Reviewed on 2013/11/22

Dear Sirs,

I have thoroughly tested your product and found it very intuitive, however especially for a Multiproject plan it is necessary that one and the same ressource (Person) can have different pricing ( e.g. internal/external project/special price project) but is only limited with time per day. I think it would be better to allow a cost change within the project and to eliminate it at the ressource or make the cost more flexible with more prices to choose.

Response from Stand By Soft

Thanks for the feedback Elisabeth, this is on the to-do list but I can not commit for a due date yet as there are a lot of things on the server version

Martin L.

inexpensive alternative

Reviewed on 2015/08/04

the software provides the features we really need. competitors may offer more, but to us this is not from practical relevance. data exchange with competitors can be difficult, the support helps quickly and competently. very good value for money.

Peder L.

Best project management software

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

For it have what I require. There was sime problem with Hi resulition screen. But the support was really good. Also when I had some ither questions they answered quick. Even at hilidays and evenings.

Edwin K.

Better than the high priced planning software

Reviewed on 2015/06/15

I have used high priced planning software for years. Rational Plan is much more economical and does everything simply and easily.

Richard W.

Excellent piece of software

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

Does mostly everything you need no problems found does exactly what it's supposed to do. Would recommend.

Bilal A.

great application

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

creating project in using RationalPlan it is like Microsoft Project , really i didn't find any issue with it.

Patrick N.

RationalPlan Project Planning

Reviewed on 2016/07/16

I have been using MS Project in the office PC for many years now and have been looking for a similar app to use on my mac at home.

RationalPlan is just the perfect app I'm looking for - simple intuitive interface with a decent presentation style and at an amazingly affordable price!

I must add that the support team has been ultra responsive when help is needed.

Neal Y.

good functional project management software

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

I have used RationalPlan for almost a year to design and present projects for existing and potential customers. Entering tasks for WBS and Gantt charts is straightforward with several options presented to schedule and link tasks together. Printing reports to a pdf format has been very useful and enabled a clean Gantt chart presentation.

Pros

value for money and easy to use; good technical support

Cons

could have more features such as recurring milestones on a quarterly basis etc.

Minh N.

Devloper

Reviewed on 2015/03/30

Try use to understand

Nirmal J.

Found it better than MS Project for project management!

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

I am using Rational Plan as a MS Project substitute and have greatly benefitted by all its features. It helped me manage the tasks better.

Pros

It is web-based and has better compatibility among different OS, it has similarbut better features than MS Project which include task and Gantt Chart features that the executives work with want to see. It integrates with Outlook, so tasks can be emailed to responsible staff. The export to PDF is great for sharing a snapshot of all the tasks in the entire project along with the Gantt Chart.

Cons

while exporting to Excel,it loses the formatting. There's no way to set up emails on tasks that are late. The main way to track tasks is by manually entering the percentage of work completed.

Response from Stand By Soft

Not sure what product you are using but in the latest version of RationalPlan Cloud it is implemented the late task notification. Just make sure it is activated from the Administration area.

Resources can also track their tasks in the My Assignments area by entering their individual actual work and the percentage completion will be automatically computed by the application.

Regarding loosing format when exporting to Excel we would appreciate some detailed feedback in order to improve it. Just drop us an email to support.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great for Multiprojects

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

the collaboration on this software is bar-none. We just finished our free trial and we will definitely be purchasing. Cannot wait to learn more and get access to all of the features.

Cons

I have no cons about RationalPlan at this time.

Howard G.

Not at all bad for small projects but I am still searching for "the one"!

Reviewed on 2017/02/24

As a sole-trader consultant I have been searching for an app that enables me to plan and manage projects that sometimes involve other consultants but sometimes just involve me and a whole load of people who are research subjects. After being led close to suicide by some other PM software (too complex, too "techie", only suitable for people who have nothing else in their lives!) I tried the add-on version of Rational Plan for Google docs and was impressed. So I bought the standalone Multi-Plan version. It worked very well for those projects where there was a good expectation of the steps laid out at the outset actually being the ones that were followed when the project started! The support from the team was excellent and my overall experience was good and I would recommend it to people who are actually running "manageable" projects. Having used it I realised that much of my work does not really fall into this category and, in much of what I am doing , the steps only emerge from the previous steps. In this case, the program is not very useful but I think that would be the case with any PM software I used. My dream is to have a single screen dashboard for all the components of Outlook so that I can see at a glance for a single project who is involved in it and in what capacity, that tasks that they have to do and the timescale, the e-mails associated with the project and the calendar entries for upcoming actions. It is really a cross between PM and CRM. Rational Plan comes close to the PM side of it.

Paul C.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Rational Plan Better Supports Compliance Agility Than MS Project.

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

I'm not patience enough to jump through all the required configurations with MS Project and was looking for an alternative which was still compatible but better served our hybrid AGILE approach. My first project with Rational Plan let do many of the assumptions my way and help me arrive at project estimate of 18,300 hours . . . I spent less time on the completed plan than my failed attempts with MS Project . . . I'm not an expert with either tool. Isn't it great, I don't have to be to get results.

Pros

Compare with MS project, the flexibility to do it MY WAY is much better.

Cons

With dozens of windows open, it occasionally freezes which requires me to restart the app. Occasionally have to update a recently added line item, but normally retains the recent work when this happens.