Sycamore School

4,7
4,4
4,3
4,8

We've used Sycamore Education for six years. Great product!

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Our old SI system was clunky and slow. Sycamore Education revolutionized our daily workload and processes. Highly recommended for private schools.

Pros

Ease of use. Customer support. Frequent updates/upgrades. Meets all IS needs for our private school.

Cons

Graphics, as well as look & feel could use an update. Wish this product would integrate with our online curriculum.

Kenny R.

Exceptional School Management System

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

We have had a great working relationship with Sycamore. They are always responsive and very knowledgeable in solving our problems. They are a great partner.

Pros

We really value the ease of use with Sycamore and the various needs that the system meets. The Sycamore team is always looking for ways to improve. They also are always looking for creative ways to manage the daily demands of running a school.

Cons

Overall we have been very satisfied with Sycamore and their team of developers. There is nothing that we like least about Sycamore.

Response from Sycamore Education

Thank you so much for your review Kenny. We value your school and your input! We love to help schools out there simplify their system needs.

Debra B.

Bringing Sycamore to Japan

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

My experience has been truly outstanding!

Pros

I used Sycamore Education for years at a Christian school in Illinois. When I came to Japan last year, I realized that my new school was not using a school management system. I was very happy to have previous experience with Sycamore. As the principal, I was able to address the school board with our great need, and they approved the purchase of Sycamore. Our teachers are very happy to be able to post grades, our parents are happy to have direct access to their child's academic progress on a daily basis, and our office administrator is happy to be able to print report cards in minutes. I continue to be very pleased with the functionality of Sycamore as well as the outstanding customer support!

Cons

On occasion, a screen pops up notifying me there is an error. When I click on the drop down bar again, the error screen is gone. It's not a big issue, and hasn't slowed us down. This never occurred when I previously used the software.

Response from Sycamore Education

Thank you Debra for your continued loyalty! Customers and schools like you are a pleasure to help and work with.

We are always here to help. Let us know if you need help with anything.

Jan C.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Good Product with Great Potential

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Awesome software and features. It was the perfect fit for our start-up organization, and we're still using it.

Pros

The simplicity of the software package and the ease of implementation. Sycamore offers the software without nickel and diming for add-ons or necessary features. For a small and/or non-profit institution, it is an AWESOME option at a very reasonable cost.

Cons

Not much support in terms of online manuals/support. I function better as a self-directed learner, and the online manuals and videos that were available at the time I onboarded were not very helpful. On the other hand, the phone support was very helpful in assisting when I couldn't find the answer online.

Response from Sycamore Leaf Solutions

Hi Jan!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us an honest review! We certainly aim to keep our pricing affordable for institutions like yours. We will use this thoughtful feedback to better ourselves in the future as we continue to ramp up and improve our product. Never hesitate to reach out with a question or concern. We'd love to be of help!

Blessings to you!

-Sycamore Education

Lee ann C.

Administrator

Reviewed on 2009/08/29

1. I would love to see you all at the Mid-Atlantic Convention in Lancaster PA.

2. I had a new family comment that they were telling a group of people their child was coming to the school. Someone in the group, who does not have a child at our school and we are not sure how they even know about the school, spoke up and said "Well they have Sycamore and it is a wonderful program!". Someone is talking!

Pros

1, Very cost effective
2. You are purchasing all that the program has to offer. There are no additional fees for upgrades
3. Customer Service is awesome! Quick to respond, helpful and you can reach them by phone or PAN.
4. Very user friendly
5. HIGH HIGH rate of parent satisfaction with being able to access grades, teachers, one another, etc. All of them rave about the program!
6. Sycamore Leaf keeps us updated
7. Sycamore is always seeking to improve their program
8. PAN - we absolutely LOVE this feature. Our high school classrooms are in "learning cottages" aka trailers - and the teachers are separated. This feature allows all of us to feel so connected!

Cons

1, Not too many or serious... we did notice that if you make a change on the family or student information (you have the mother's name wrong ex.) then when you correct it, you cannot do it in just one area, you have to go into multiple areas.

2. We had some issues with the GPA configuration. I did not deal with it, but I know our high school conselor had numerous phone calls and PAN' s to get it figured out properly. For some reason we now have to do something different to get our proper grading.

3. Getting my parents over the learning curve of using the program. It is frustrating to hear them say " We seldom check Sycamore" and in our memos and everything else we keep saying HOW MUCH we put on Sycamore and to check it out. Word of mouth is helping this... I hear parents telling other parents that they really need to use it, or someone asking another how they knew about something and they will say "on Sycamore" .

Kris A.
Industry: Education Management

Sycamore does what we need it to do. The customer service is really what keeps us here.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

Grade/report card preparation is so much easier for our staff. We have a reliable method of communicating with our parents and staff. (We just need to get parents to log in more regularly!)

Pros

Easy to use for parents and staff; customer service is the BEST -- quick to respond , servant-minded and very competent.

Cons

There are a few quirks, like only uploading a single photo at a time (unlike something like Facebook where several can be done with a click). We had to go with a different accounting system (Quick Books Online) because we couldn't integrate it with Sycamore. Email is hard to manage at times.

Julie E.

Sycamore Fan

Reviewed on 2011/02/11

I would highly recommend Sycamore. Our school has benefited so much from using Sycamore and are pleased with the decision we made to use this software. For the price, ease of use and great tech support/upgrades, it would be difficult to find anything better.

Pros

Sycamore is priced right and very user friendly. A huge advantage to the system is the technical support. We find the support staff provides great assistance with easy questions as well as more complex solutions. We appreciate their willingness to see us through to the end when we have an issue (even when it's self created). The web-based system provides easy access from anywhere which is a great feature. The system is continually being updated with no expensive upgrade charges which is great for sticking to a budget. Communication with families and among staff is made easy with Sycamore as well.

Cons

Not as much database flexibility (adding fields/tracking) as we woud like.

Rick P.

Sycamore Review

Reviewed on 2010/06/06

I strongly recommend this to any school or school district. It is a fantastic resource for my school and my community.

Pros

Sycamore is an all encompassing administration software. It allows for great communication with teachers, students, staff, and parents. It includes just about all aspects of administering to a school. I am very pleased...

Cons

I would like to see one feature added to Sycamore. I would like to see an e-mail notification sent to parents as to when grades have been updated. I understand Sycamore's reasoning behind not doing that, however, in today's world, people need as many chances and excuses to log into Sycamore. I would like to see an e-mail stating that their students grades have been updated and a link to log onto sycamore.

Carol L.

St. Barbara School appreciates the integration of gradebooks and family information.

Reviewed on 2015/07/13

Overall, Sycamore Education provides a quality product which allows St. Barbara School to use online support to keep our families current on student progress and family account information. Additionally, parents can keep their contact information up to date enabling ease of communication of events, fundraising, and schedules. Customer service is very helpful, knowledgeable. and supportive of enhancements. A recent upgrade to online enrollment facilitated registering new and returning families and helps the admissions office to track the status of our families in the registration process. The integration of different software into Sycamore Education has also saved the school money and enables our parents to go to one site for their school information needs.

Lori E.

Sycamore is an ever evolving tool that has become a very important information portal for school .

Reviewed on 2015/06/10

Sycamore has changed the way we take care of the day to day business at our school. It helps us track all of the documentation we need to manage our students and teachers. Sycamore is continually upgrading and adding features to make the program more user friendly.

The only negative aspect has been parent participation. Many parents complain they can't get on, or they can't find information, etc. I know many of these are excuses but I wish there was some way to force interaction with the parent.

One change I would love to see made would be to be able to respond to a pass a note through email, when it is received through email. This would avoid having to log on to respond to a parent.

Scott B.

Sycamore Education: Excellent Product, Excellent Service, Reasonable Price!

Reviewed on 2010/01/11

I highly recommend the site. It's functional, easy to use, VERY affordable and the people working there have been just phenomenal.

Pros

-Excellent customer service. Their contact person for us (Nancy) has been very receptive to our needs and is an outstanding communicator for Sycamore.
-Incredibly fast response to support tickets. Almost instantaneous.
-Flexible! They have been willing to work with us to modify to some specific needs we have.
-Simple to use. Once you learn a few key areas, it's so easy.

Cons

-Needs an aesthetic facelift/tweak.

Babatope B.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Complete package

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

Pros

I love that all I require to get things done with my child's school is in one place - student info, lunch booking, payments etc.

Cons

None at this time. Everything needs is well integrated into one great app.

Chris T.

Warning School Admins - Their App is worthless - nothing is accurate / up to date

Reviewed on 2014/12/04

For the first half of this school year the app was just unstable (uh-oh message like other reviewers) but at least I could keep trying and eventually get info. For the last few weeks the grades listed for my children are inaccurate and the missing assignments are from last quarter. (Similar to other reviews.) The website is well done but the app is junk. Google play shows the last update was 8/23/13. I wonder if the schools purchasing the software, with the promise of a handy app for parents, know how bad the app is.

Response from Sycamore Leaf Solutions

Chris,

Great news! We've updated our mobile app significantly for both iOS and Android devices so that you aren't seeing out-of-date information ever again. In addition, we've made things more streamlined and easy to use for your convenience.

We're looking forward to your utilization of the new mobile app!

Jennifer B.

Saint Andrew Academy, Louisville Kentucy Review of Sycamore

Reviewed on 2014/05/20

I have not experienced such fantastic pr and customer care before. You and your company have done a great job in developing your program from every level making the transition to the system just about seamless. Any problem we have had has been corrected, responded to, and met. We continue to find ways to maximize our use of the new system too, making the overall system itself very 21st century which is what I really like!

Motherof2

I can't believe it!

Reviewed on 2014/01/30

I don't understand the low star rating and other review this program received. As a parent and teacher i love the user friendliness they provide. Excellent, quick support and they're always open to new ideas. They really have the schools best interest at heart. Not a bad thing i could say, we love Sycamore Education!

Sharon W.
Industry: Education Management

Sycamore is a great solution for small and medium sized schools. It is very reliable.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

This database keeps all of our school management information secure and well-organized. There are fields for lots of information and the ability to add custom fields as well. There are features for organizing events, room use, cafeteria management, etc. It does allow teachers to record grades and the grades are then accessible by parents and report cards are easy to generate.

Pros

The support is fantastic. Trouble tickets are answered quickly and phone support is great.
The database is securely hosted on-line so it can be accessed anywhere and there is no set-up for a new computer.
The cafeteria feature works really well even with 24 teachers entering attendance / lunch orders at the same time.
Easy to send batch emails and individual emails to parents.

Cons

We don't use the "pass-a-note" feature very much. Sometimes parents use it and it comes up on the teacher's screen when they log-on in the morning.

Kami F.

It's the customer service that takes this SIS over the top!

Reviewed on 2015/05/01

I have worked with sycamore as a parent, staff member, and super user (software administrator) over the last 7 years. What makes Sycamore work so well, is that it is constantly growing and making enhancements as the needs of it's users grow yet still keeping to the same "feel" and design so that students, parents and teachers don't have to re-learn the software every time there is an enhancement.

The software itself is pretty comprehensive and has been easy to use. We have several schools in our district using the software as well, so as parents move from Elementary School to Middle to our High School, they have appreciated not having to learn a new platform, and those that come from outside our district have commented on how easy it was to make the transition. New teachers grasp on to it's layout very quickly.

It's hard to really talk about cons, because anytime I have found a quirk or issue, Sycamore has been very receptive to those concerns and actively found a solution or came up with an enhancement. They are always growing the product. Which leads me to their support system and customer service. Most of the time I can find my answers in their Online manual or videos. When I need a bit more help, as a Sycamore Super User, can submit a support ticket any time of day and will get a response within the hour...very very rarely have I not connected with a live person when I have phoned, which I rarely have to do. The support staff is well educated in the software and the nicest people you will ever talk/chat with. As a teacher, you can chat anytime during the school day with a support tech, even just to ask a "where do I find" question...no question is too menial.

Overall, you will never find an SIS that meets every schools needs or ways of doing things, so what becomes important is finding an SIS that does the job, is continually growing and advancing, and provides outstanding customer service. This is what Sycamore provides it's customers.

Melissa B.
Industry: Education Management

Sycamore is a fantastic school management program.

Reviewed on 2017/09/08

It is so much easier to exchange information between different offices within our school.

Pros

Customer service is AWESOME! They are quick to respond and often make upgrades to the system based on our suggestions.

Cons

There are few features like church attendance and basic checklists within the grade book that I would love to see them add.

Nikki M.

Our school utilizes and loves Sycamore.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

Pros

It is very user friendly for parents, teachers, students, and support staff. The app that has been created is wonderful.

Cons

I wish there would be a way to hide features we do not utilize. Sycamore offers many features for schools to use.

Jon S.

We have been very satisfied with the product and the support.

Reviewed on 2008/11/02

We have been very satisfied with the product and the support. It has met our expectations and beyond. We probably use only half of the features and are excited about the prospects of the implementing and expanding our school's effective using this product.

Pros

The conversion from our previous network-based program went flawlessly. We were up an running within a couple of weeks with the majority of the time just verifying data. Our main objective was to improve communication between school and home. Being a small school (<300 students), we were looking for the most inexpensive solution. We compared several of the competitors (e.g. Hunter's, RenWeb, Blackbaud, ACS, etc.) and found this to meet our needs. Our parents appreciate the built-in communication system between them and the school. The customer support is terrific. You can either phone or submit a support ticket online. They respond within 24 hours but most of time sooner.

Cons

The user interface is quirky at times. The button placements are not consistently located. It is a menu-driven interface as opposed to GUI though there is rumors of its soon release.

Carmen F.

After careful evaluation, we chose Sycamore for our school's needs

Reviewed on 2010/08/05

WITHOUT A DOUBT, Sycamore Education was the right solution for our school. We evaluated 2 other systems and we are so very glad we chose Sycamore.

Pros

-support is rarely needed, but EXCEPTIONAL in times of need. support ticket response time averages 10 minutes. (yes...10 minutes, not 10 hours!) Support staff is EXCEPTIONAL.
-easy for teachers, parents, & students to use
-has become our "go-to" method of communication with the school family
-ALL IN ONE! No "module" ridiculousness
-no servers to maintain!
-teachers have access 24/7, on or off-campus
-SE is always improving their product and making the experience more and more user-friendly

Cons

-pictures aren't easy to upload (in SE's defense, photo-sharing is not their expertise)

3rd grade mom

1990's technology

Reviewed on 2012/09/17

This proposes to be a complete management tool for elementary and high schools. It is so buggy that all the parents in our school absolutely hate it!

Melissa S.

Streamlines School Functions

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

Overall I like the product. My school has started using more of the functionality of the software and receiving announcements and other important information has been helpful.

Pros

I like the app for my phone. It streamlines my ability to quickly send attendance to our office. I also like the school directory so that I can easily pull up information for any school family.

Cons

Sending group emails (batch emails) isn't obvious to me. I wish the email portion seemed more like gmail or other email applications.

Response from Sycamore Education

Thank you so much Melissa! We are so happy to see many schools like yours finding our system helpful for the tasks you encounter.
We thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with batch email. We are always working to make ourselves better and make a better product for our Sycamore family.

Kathleen G.

Using Sycamore Daily

Reviewed on 2020/12/02

The problems we have been able to solve mainly are having the ability to look up information at a few clicks of the computer. We have the ability to see many needs for our students and our faculty.

Pros

The features that are most useful to me are the attendance and ease of updating when students are tardy or leave early. Our daily health screening is something that has been helpful with our new guidelines.

Cons

ALL the Clicks to get to where we need to be.

Response from Sycamore Education

Thank you for your review Kathleen!

We are so happy that the new COVID checklist is of benefit to schools like yours!

Feedback from our schools is always welcome and we use that feedback to always try to improve our product. Hopefully you'll enjoy working in the pieces of Sycamore 3.0 as it comes out. Feel free to always reach out to support for help as well as offer us suggestions on how to improve.

Edward B.
Industry: Education Management

I'm very happy with the fact that it's like a one stop shop. Has everything we need .

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

a lot of things in one place.

Pros

The ability to get and find information that usually had to be found in several locations. As an administrator for this software, I enjoy the ease of creating reports and being able to costomize them. Overall the amount of things you can do with this program is amazing.

Cons

There seems to be too many clicks to get to some things. We have a lot of students who don't always share the same last name as their parent so some times it's hard to connect the two when doing some things.