4,5 (37)
Web-Based Auto Repair Shop Management

Sal G.
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy to use and powerful

Reviewed on 2022/04/26

Overall it has been a huge boost to our shop. The communication with clients is smooth and how they prefer (text, email or call). Reports give us the data we need to analyze and keep growing.

Pros

Did not require training to get in. When I hired an experienced service writer he could believe how easy and powerful it was. When after just just a couple steps an RO was created and estimate done he asked what else. I stated, that's it. he could not believe it was that easy.

Cons

It could be a bit more tablet friendly.

Shop-Ware and Protractor.NET

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

Data migration and ease of use.

Tekmetric

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you, Sal! We're happy that our product and service matched the needs of the shop!

Erik L.

ShopBoss Review

Reviewed on 2021/10/21

Overall, First Rate and Top Notch! Customer Support has always been on top of things. I've referred ShopBoss to 2 other Shops and Help both of them get set up and it has been super smooth both times! Anytime me or my Crew have a problem, ShopBoss is on it! So, that is really nice! The system is pretty slick and does Work Nice, Dont Take my Cons as a personal insult.

Pros

The Digital Inspections, and Texting/Emailing has really stepped up our game.

Cons

We were 17 year Mitchel1 users, So coming from them to ShopBoss some of the things you can and cant do seem odd. Id like to be able to change the width of some of the items in the W.I.P.. Id like to be able to change the status( Inspection,Approval,Parts,Etc..) into my own custom labels and then color code them on the W.I.P.. I dont like the operation of a recomended Repair, I prefer the Revision(From Mitchel), basically an open quote stuck to the customers vehicle profile that I can see with out having to reopen. There seems to be a lot of Re opening things. Sometimes, Rarely, But Sometimes, The cloud base can be an Issue! It would be nice to have some sort of Server Based "imprint" or "Copy" for when there are Internet issues, either on my end or Shop Boss's end.

Shopmonkey and Tekmetric

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

They were Expensive, Expensive and Expensive. I didn't mind so much, but in order to get what you or others similar to you offer, they wanted even more!

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

The Customer Support from ShopBoss when I Called, They basically moved in with me.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the review Erik. Great detail, here and we're actually working on some of the customization items you mentioned. I've forwarded this into our product team to add context to our UI / UX projects.

Julie T.
  • Industry: Automotive

pretty expensive for services used

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

i would get rid of yet today if it was up to me. cost verse benefits is terrible. i am the primary user due to it being so time consuming for my techs.

Pros

that it saves limited history. that we can order parts for specific vehicles. that we can email/text customers.

Cons

features dont always work as we need. cant combine husband/wife/children/siblings. dont show all avaiable parts for vendors we use. scheduling doesnt work for what we need. very confusing to navigate. no rep came to educate us on use. cost is not worth the few features we use. estimates/quotes are very difficult to use/transfer. cant change credit card for partial cash payments. i could write a list of issues but these are the main ones.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Julie, thank you for the candid review. We'd like to help you work through Shop Boss more efficiently, so our customer success team will reach out and do a de-brief with you.

Michael W.

User Friendly - Feature Heavy - Great Product

Reviewed on 2021/04/19

I've had the fortunate opportunity to work closely with a number of people at shopboss. Our business is always evolving and changing the way we do things. We are just a little different than most of our competitors. Shopboss is open to our suggestions and unique requests so that their software specifically fits our business model. I've never seen another company do that for us. The quality of their work is very high and keeps me excited about working with them to make shopboss the best it can be for us.

Pros

The software is very intuitive and easy to use. New employees can walk in and start writing work orders almost immediately. The work flow is simple and makes logical sense walking the customer through the intake process. They have built in labor books, parts ordering, and texting that are easy to use and make the speed of service lightning fast. New features are constantly being released and improving the overall quality of the product.

Cons

There isnt much bad to say about their product. They have experienced some growing pains as they expanded their customer base that effected service slightly. They have since corrected these issues. There are difficulties when working with a completely web based system but the benefits greatly exceed the cons.

Protractor.NET

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

ROWriter was charging a lot and moving to a web subscription service. Their technical support was atrocious and rigid. Their sales/account team was even worse as their turnover was so high we never actually knew who our account rep was. The software was stagnant and behind the times.

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

Price, user friendly, cost, setup/deployment time, training, and backend setup were all factors in this decision. Shopboss excelled at them all.
Matt M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Stop wasting your time looking at other systems!

Reviewed on 2021/10/12

5 stars! Great software and great staff.

Pros

It just works! It's simple, easy, and intuitive. It's cloud based, amazing customer support, very affordable, and quick to learn

Cons

Maybe the look of the software is a little dated? But it's still better than something like Mitchell or protractor.

Tekmetric

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

It was clunky, receipts looked terrible, support was trash, only one person could be in a ticket, crashed often, had to pay extra for additional user licenses, they always had improvements but you had to pay extra (bolt on)

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

Price and simplicity of the system.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Excellent review and feedback on your selection process, Matt. Glad to see Shop Boss has met your needs and then some. Always trying to advance the product, which will include some UI updates. More to come!

John G.

Solid

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

In the beginning it was the best I have used in 35 plus years. Lately they seems to be a lot of growing pains

Pros

Cloud Based and the ability to have custom reports made

Cons

The fact that they are falling away from being an individual and teaming up with others

NAPA TRACS, AutoVitals, Protractor.NET and ALLDATA

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

To be cloud based and to have the freedoms that SB offered

Mobile Manager Pro and 1CRM

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

To be cloud based and to have the freedoms that SB offered, they were small and very friendly and customer oriented

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you for being a customer, John. We have some major releases coming in the next 2 weeks, including DVI and VIN Scanner, so let's make sure we connect to make sure you're seeing success.

Jeremy S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great program to stay organized

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Our overall experience is good using ShopBoss.

Pros

We like the ability to create work orders when vehicles and equipment come in for repair. It eliminates the conversations over phone/text message/in person between techs and admin, as all of the information is in ShopBoss. It is also a bonus that the program allows employees to clock in and out.

Cons

It is a real downfall that it does not link to QuickBooks in Canada.

Jobber

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

We chose ShopBoss simply because one of our techs was already familiar with the program.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you, Jeremy! Glad to see that Shop Boss is working for your needs. We're always looking to add more functionality to our accounting integrations, so we will add the Canadian request to our dev review.

Alice S.

Reviewed on 2021/10/12

We find Shop Boss easy to use for estimates and shop reports.

Pros

Keeping track of estimates and being able to separate repairs by job for customers. Love that we can send updates on repairs via email and text.

Cons

Need a manual that's easily available to learn more about software. Videos are helpful but not enough videos available .

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review, Alice. We're building out a new service, BOSS Care, that will help with user training. Coming soon!

Arron B.

Great shop software.

Reviewed on 2021/10/11

ShopBoss has helped with any situation that has come up. They offer great support. Product is great compared to other options we have had and tried.

Pros

Ease of building and charging an RO. Adding a vehicle to a customer is simple. Building canned jobs goes quick as well.

Cons

Doing quotes need improvement. Not being able to navigate multiple historic ROs without having to search for the vehicle again.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Love that you love the speed, Arron. Thank you for the review.

Joel B.

Simple yet powerful auto management program

Reviewed on 2021/10/05

I have had nothing but a good experience with Shopboss. The support team has always been helpful.

Pros

Shopboss is a cloud based management program that easy to use. I can access it any where.

Cons

Shopboss does not allow for individual customer reports

Shopmonkey

Reasons for Choosing Shop Boss

Needed an automotive designed software.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Shop Boss

I felt Shopboss was easier to use.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you for choosing Shop Boss, Joel. We recently released a customizable dashboard, BOSS Board, that might help with your request around individual reports. Please reach out to support and we can set you up!

Tim S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Great program for a shop that is just starting

Reviewed on 2021/10/02

I've been really happy with Shop Boss. I had it recommended to me by a friend who has a shop, and I've recommended it to a few people also.

Pros

I found Shop Boss really easy to use. It's really easy to set up for your shop. The customer service is extremely helpful and friendly. The price is right.

Cons

The parts ordering integration is really the only thing I don't like about Shop Boss. In my option, it really doesn't save any time, as I still have to manually enter the PO number after I order the parts. Also, and this may be an issue with PartsTech, but if I go and add parts to an existing cart, it wants to add ALL the parts, not just the one(s) I added. Also, it I create multiple orders, and order from of them, all the orders get erased. If I decline a job, and then the customer comes back, I have to re-look up everything as the order isn't saved. In my opinion, once the parts integration issues get fixed, this will be a phenomenal product.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Great review, Tim. Thanks for sharing your experience with Shop Boss. We will make sure our product team is aware of your feedback on parts ordering. We can always build more efficient processes there.

David S.

Good program

Reviewed on 2021/10/06

Shop Boss is good with many good features. The developers are making improvements at a good pace. Customer support is very responsive.

Pros

Texting customers, photo upload, internet based, easy interface.

Cons

No real mobile app, no parts return tracking, no offline option, can’t change all labels, missing AR tracking, can’t split one labor line between 2 techs, can’t upload videos.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the notes, David. We're consistently working on the mobile responsive experience to help you do your job on the go. Big updates coming in 2022.

Christine T.

Auto repair invoicing.

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

I'm extremely happy with this program. I like the fact that I can access the program from work, home laptop, or smart phone.

Pros

I like the invoicing parameters, the employee time sheets, the sales tax and accounting features. I also like the overview of daily, monthly or yearly spans of parts and labor pricing. I like the feature on emailing the estimate or the invoice to a client. I like that I can upload pictures to an invoice.

Cons

Other than glitches now and again, I am extremely happy with this program. I am wondering if there is feature to download past history of invoices/customers incase something happens with the program or I go out of business in this location?

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review, Christine! Always happy to hear that our customers are seeing success with the program.

Joel A.

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Pros

Being web-based adds a great level of versatility. The support team is pretty good at handling individual requests and can readily customise features for one's needs.

Cons

Be careful when making changes to an RO because there isn't a "Cancel" option

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the feedback, Joel. Our support team is constantly dialing in their approach, so we're happy to hear it's working for your needs.

Robert j C.

Excellent Shop Management software at a very affordable price point.

Reviewed on 2012/02/02

If you have a small to medium shop and are looking for a simple and yet powerful tool to be able to manage your vehicle work flow and be able to access from anywhere anytime, it simply cannot be beat.

Pros

Very quick to get up and running. I was able to log in and instantly start entering customers, making invoices. The internet based log in is a huge plus as I can take paper work home and log in to finish up RO's.

I run a custom high performance BMW shop and had some unique needs and I was able to enter support requests and was amazed when within the hour I was called by the technical support team to review my needs and they where able to implement changes to the software immediately. When you can communicate directly with the software developer on call, that is a huge plus.

One feature I really enjoy is the ability to send my customers updates to their RO via email or text and even upload pictures with the invoice so customers can see exactly what is happening with their vehicle. For a shop that deals exclusively with custom workmanship, my customers really enjoy this feature.

Overall I have been very impressed by this software and for the small shop owner it works excellent.

Cons

This is basically a 'Front End' based software and does not really focus on financial management. To fully implement the financial side of things you will need to use Quick Books. At the same time this keeps it simple. Quick Books is also the most recognized small business financial management tool available, so the fact the software integrates with Quick Books is a plus.

Their have been some minor developmental issues, but as said above the tech support is awesome and they will generally resolve any issues on the fly within a short amount of time, sometimes within the hour.

Not really any cons to this software at all.

Jennifer H.
  • Industry: Automotive

Shop Boss Pro is a MUST HAVE!

Reviewed on 2016/08/16

There are so many things we love about Shop Boss. Most importantly it is extremely user friendly. It takes time and money to train employees on software. If you can navigate around the internet, you can effectively use Shop Boss!

Pros

User friendly, ability to access online (nice for us to check in while on vacation), quality, constantly adding new features to keep up with the technological changes, excellent price point.
We also appreciate the customer service, often times the owner, Chris is the one to directly contact us to answer and questions we have or customize the software to fit our needs.
Shop Boss has excellent reports that give us an instant snap shot of where our business is financially at any given time.

Cons

None, if ever there is a concern it is addressed immediately!

Todd F.

Automotive Education

Reviewed on 2021/10/05

I have been able to use shop management software in all my courses and not just advanced level and managment courses. The price point has afforded me the opportunity to use funding in other areas.

Pros

In the educational environment we needed software that would allow the first year students pick up and use with little instruction. Students are able to navagate the software easilly.

Cons

It is a little time consuming setting it up intially, but having the customization is a great advantage.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you, Todd. We're trying to help as many schools as we can to help the next wave of technicians enhance their software skills.

Amanda C.
  • Industry: Automotive

Good for a shop first starting out

Reviewed on 2021/10/12

Pros

Online function makes it easy. And the texting feature. The VIN scanner, though I never use it.

Cons

The quote feature. Needs to be just like the normal estimate feature, but you need to be able to save it, reference it later, open on the date the vehicle comes back in, etc...

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review, Amanda. Glad that you are liking Shop Boss for the accessibility. We've been scoping a new quoting feature for the new year and this is good info to add to our research.

Lana G.

Shopboss review

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Overall, we've been extremely happy.

Pros

Ease of use and customer service have been exceptional. The team has always done a good job of listening to feedback and trying to implement requests for us.

Cons

It would be handy to be able to see the actual communication sent from Shopboss to customers. Not just a log of when sent, but what the email communication actually said (similar to texting).

It would also be useful to be able to flag a customer to show if they will be "waiting" with car or dropping off.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks so much for the review, Lana. We'll definitely continue to build out our customer communication capabilities. Excellent product feedback.

Dallas Z.
  • Industry: Automotive

New age of shop software

Reviewed on 2021/10/05

Pros

It is easy to access when I'm at home and need to make changes. I can get in contact with customers and send quotes over the weekend so they can get an answer to us asap. It is easy to navigate that new employees are able to learn the software within a few weeks. Much better than the old school hand written work orders. I also love the feature of attaching photos so customers can go to a text message link, see the repair order and see what we are seeing. Helps increase sales and trust with our customers.

Cons

Since Shopboss is web based when ever the software goes down I am unable to look up customer information or history so makes it hard to continue to work even when the software is down if we need further information.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Great review, Dallas. We built in the cloud specifically to enhance the notes you provided. We're glad to hear things are progressing with your shop!

Jose S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Perfect system for independent shops.

Reviewed on 2021/10/01

Great.

Pros

Simplicity of the system. No special software or hardware needed to run application.

Cons

It will freeze at times when needed the most.

ALLDATA

Simplicity.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks Jose! Glad to hear the onboarding and user experience was easy.

Robin G.

Automotive Business Game Changer

Reviewed on 2016/08/16

When we started with SBP nearly 3 years ago my crew didn't see the need to move from our carbon paper based tickets, hand written estimates, and "I think we need" inventories. After we fully implemented the software everyone couldn't believe the hundreds of steps it saved us each day, and the value of the historical data it provided us. Since we started our little shop has had over 16,000 repair orders. I cannot even imagine doing all this on paper again.

Pros

Ease of use, responsiveness to our needs for assistance or feature improvements.

Cons

I haven't had time to implement so many of the most powerful features yet.

William C.

We like this product

Reviewed on 2021/10/12

overall, we are very pleased. I cannot say that we are familiar with similar products, but we are happy with this product.

Pros

For our small repair business it suits all of our needs.

Cons

we have not been happy with the ability to integrate with accounting such as quickbooks.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thank you, William. Shop Boss appears to be meeting your needs, but we need to dig into this QuickBooks request. We have a strong connection there. Please reach out to our support team for assistance [email protected]

Allison G.

Best cloud based for Restoration

Reviewed on 2021/10/11

Pros

They are willing and able to create custom reports.

Cons

Cannot separate multiple vehicles from one owner. Should be able to list vehicles independently. Inventory is not easy to navigate.

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Great feedback, Allison. We're glad that you chose Shop Boss as your cloud-based solution. We'll also make sure to get your multiple vehicle feedback to our product team.

Rob D.

PTR Paving

Reviewed on 2021/10/08

very good product and would recommend to anyone

Pros

easy to use and easy to teach others how to use

Cons

scheduling and assigning techs to jobs is confusing

Response from CSB Technologies Inc.

Thanks Rob. Appreciate you taking the time in leaving this review.