Marketo Engage Reviews

Marketo Engage

Marketing automation for digital marketers

Jared
Jared
  • Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Marketing strategies with great impact on our sales.

Reviewed on 2023/03/03

Marketo Engage has allowed us to automate the different advertising campaigns focusing on the different needs of our clients, we have improved the acquisition of new clients and increased sales, we have been using it for 3 years and we have intensified the positive results with great automation in marketing campaigns.

Pros

Marketo Engage is easy to understand software, I really like being able to devise different marketing strategies by segmentation, marketing campaigns are automated, which generates productivity and a greater increase in sales and customers. The collection of customer data is very effective, since based on that we can devise better advertising campaigns and adapt to the needs of customers, it is a highly customizable software.

Cons

The price is a drawback for small businesses, but it is the best software to improve marketing strategies in the short term. For large companies, price is not an issue. Marketo Engage capabilities positively increase sales and customers.

Ed

Marketo is the Gold Standard of Marketing CRMs in the marketplace!!

Reviewed on 2022/05/05

My experience with Marketo has been amazing from the sales rep, our implementation specialist, support department and our CSM went over and beyond to make sure we were getting the most value out of the platform.

Pros

I love the deep native integration with Salesforce that allows us to sync data and both company and contact records to communicate through marketing and sync up with our account based marketing campaigns and enabling sales to follow up at the exact right time based on lead scoring and actions take by prospect when consuming our content we deliver in the form of email opens, email clicks and % video views with the amazing integration with Wistia. The Strategies you can deploy are only limited by your creativity as a marketer and sales architect and revenue officer at your company and I absolutely love Marketo!!

Cons

The platform is very robust and takes learning and using it and clearly understand best practices through executional experience running campaigns and this takes an investment of time and it's absolutely worth it and the return on that time investment is the most important revenue driver in our company when combining the power of your sales reps and your sales enablement tool in your tech stack!!

Reasons for Choosing Marketo Engage

We had to connect Infusionsoft with a 3rd party integration platform that had built a custom integration and it was a significant monthly investment and Infustionsoft is an inferior platform compared to Marketo Engage. It was a no brainer to make the switch.

Reasons for Switching to Marketo Engage

Marketo offers an agency level account allowing us to connect our clients Salesforce with a license of Marketo under our single Agency level account with Marketo Engage which allows us to provide marketing services along with our sales services, aligning both and providing maximum return on our clients investment working with us and a win/win for everyone. Also, Marketo doesn't try and be everything to everybody, they set the standard for marketing CRMs and have an excellent, deep integration with Salesforce and other platforms just didn't match up in comparison.
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Marketo is a beast

Reviewed on 2020/01/03

It’s been really hard to learn everything but I’m starting to feel a little more confident.

Pros

Marketo has the ability to do so many things which is a pro and con. It takes a while to get the hang of things but Marketo can really make this happen for your company.

Cons

I wish Marketo was more visual. It’s sometimes hard to get from start to finish on a project without realizing how you May be affecting other campaigns and lead funnels.

HubSpot CRM

Price and training
Janelle

Awesome solution for managing marketing campaigns all form one place

Reviewed on 2023/12/09

Marketo's made it so much easier to run, monitor, and report on our marketing efforts. We have it synced with our social channels, ad channels, and email and SMS platforms. It's main benefit has definitey been the time we've saved with it. Without it, we'd have to design and run our campaigns all by hand, whereas now, you can just whip up a campaign and run it across several platforms with one click. Other than that, it performs relatively well, has a lot of integrations, and isn't too overly priced. Would definitely recommend overall.

Pros

1. We didn't have to set up a single API connection to integrate Marketo with our marketing platforms. We were able to connect our tools with it very very quickly thanks to the native integrations.

2. The campaign monitoring works great and has a lot of customization options. We can easily navigate between campaign types and we were able to add a lot of additional metrics onto the reports that weren't available out of the box.

Cons

There's the odd issue with reports syncing late or not workng properly, but other than that, we haven't had anything that caused much trouble so far.

Ruth
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Customizable to Your Business

Reviewed on 2020/06/18

Pros

Marketo is robust and can be configured to meet most business cases. It integrates well with many systems/services. For example, Marketo integrates better with Salesforce than Salesforce Marketing Cloud. There is a solid user group/community. Things like Content AI and Web Personalization take personalization across your digital marketing to the next level. Training is required to use a lot of features.

Cons

You have to build your own preference center. This doesn't come out-of-the-box. UI is bad, and Marketo Sky will help fix this, but it's taking forever for Marketo Sky to get to a point where I can actually use it. Many features do cost extra but you can pick and choose. Landing page templating is lacking without a dedicated devloper.

Reasons for Switching to Marketo Engage

Robust enterprise solution that can be customized
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

OMG! Best Software for Email Automation

Reviewed on 2022/09/14

My overall experience on Adobe Marketo was wonderful. I'm still using this software for email automation and social media marketing.

Pros

One of my company employee suggest me this Adobe Marketo software for email automation and social media marketing. After using it, i found that this software is very helpful for email automation, email marketing, social media marketing, B2B marketing etc. It creates very engaging and responsive emails. Overall, i personally suggest that it's a brilliant software for email automation and social media marketing emails.

Cons

Adobe Marketo is not available for desktop Mac, desktop linex, and desktop chrome book. It has no free trail and free version before purchasing it. I personally felt that, there should be a atleast three days free trail for beginners.

Nitanshi
Nitanshi

An excellent Marketing Automation tool and very easy to use

Reviewed on 2023/04/03

Marketo is expensive but if you want enterprise automation platform and you are heavily focused on automation its the platform to go. You should have one very good marketo expert but once the implementation is done properly it runs very smoothly.

Pros

Marketo is easy to use once implemented well. The set-up, filters, data management etc is very intuitive and caters well to automate customer journey mapping, email marketing, lifecycle management, lead scoring etc. It is easily integratable with most CRM, other analytics tools, social media platforms etc. which makes it easy to build a unified martech stack.

Cons

Marketo's analytics section has very limited customization. Unlike SFDC which is heavy on customization, the same is not possible on Marketo. If yo want to build dashboards etc. you need another tool which is also not very easy with all platforms. Additionally, while the helpdesk is responsive, customer service in general is not as great! They also don't come up with upgrades that often or atleast dont communicate it to customers. Its more self-help system here. Last but not the least, their trainings and certifications are super expensive.

HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to Marketo Engage

Ease of use and great UX
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Basic Use Cases are Great. Integrations with other systems, - less so

Reviewed on 2023/09/14

Basic use case has been great. Integrating with other systems - less so.

Basic use case has been great. Integrating with other systems - less so.

Pros

Basic email marketing and marketing automation tasks can be accomplished with minimal assistance from the technical team.

Cons

Pricing is by record in the DB, so you have to either pay for records that you are not doing anything with, or build a mechanism to move them in and out.Integrations with other systems are troublesome and rarely work as expected. For example, Microsoft Dynamics has a connector, but it only works if the record doesn't already exist in Marketo. Defining an audience in Dynamics for use in Marketo then has to be a hand-coded affair. Very annoying.

Weronika
  • Industry: Furniture

Marketo Engage

Reviewed on 2023/05/30

My overall experience with Marketo Engage has been positive, as it provided a powerful marketing automation solution that enhanced our ability to deliver targeted campaigns and track their performance. Despite the initial complexity and cost considerations, it significantly contributed to our marketing effectiveness and customer engagement.

Pros

One aspect I liked most about Marketo Engage was its robust marketing automation capabilities, allowing for personalized and targeted marketing campaigns across multiple channels. The platform's advanced lead management, email marketing, and analytics features provided valuable insights and improved customer engagement.

Cons

One drawback I experienced with Marketo Engage was the complexity of the platform, requiring a learning curve and technical expertise to fully leverage its functionalities. Additionally, the cost of the software and associated add-ons could be a deterrent for small businesses with limited marketing budgets.

Stephanie

A little bit outdated but gets the done job

Reviewed on 2023/06/26

Marketo Engage has been our go-to E-mail tool for years and that probably won't change anytime soon. Overall a positive experience.

Pros

Marketo is a powerhouse when it comes to our email marketing campaigns. We exclusively use this tool to create smart lists and templates for our email campaigns. It's relatively easy to use.

Cons

Marketo Engage has a super outdated interface and a high learning curve for new users. I'd like to see the UI become a little more intuitive. Some of the features like "SEO" for example, are relatively limited in the data they provide.

Emanuela

My experience with Marketo

Reviewed on 2018/05/28

Pros

Marketo is a great marketing tool that allows automating repetitive marketing activities. I am using Marketo since 4 years.
We use it to improve our lead generation process and we integrated Marketo with Salesforce. We are using Marketo Forms embedded on our website to get the personal information, track the activities done by leads and notify the sales reps. We are able to track campaigns (members are synced to Salesforce campaigns) and lead sources to measure effectiveness of marketing activities. We created a series of program templates that can be replicated to manage events, webinars, newsletters or email blastings. Cloning the templates all our marketers can start a new program easily customizing just the details, without errors and saving time. I want to mention a powerful feature that I use daily - smart lists - they allows to target a specific audience and continuously been fed with new members that match the criteria.

Cons

- Integration with MS Dynamics: we started with MS dynamics CRM and the integration is not seamless as the integration with Salesforce. We had unresolved issues for 3 years until we decided to move our CRM to Salesforce.
- Consulting Services: we started our project with direct Marketo consulting services but our project manager was not responsive and we had the impression that each PM had too many customers to manage and do not have the time to dedicate the right effort to each project. For this reason, we moved our project to an external consultant firm and the results are much better.
- Support: the response time of the standard support is not quick and usually it takes some days to resolve it.
- Reporting: the reports are very basics

Marketo Engage - best automation tool to date

Reviewed on 2022/01/12

Excellent overall, can be the engine of the marketing department and best support for sales if used properly

Pros

best automation/database management tool to date.
Create comms, forms, landing pages, a structured database, rules - an entire functioning ecosystem.

Cons

No batching of operations, editor of emails can be improved

Reasons for Choosing Marketo Engage

prior had limited functionalities

Reasons for Switching to Marketo Engage

Best product on the market
Marek

Marketo Engage Review

Reviewed on 2023/05/23

Overall, my experience with Marketo Engage was good. The platform provided a comprehensive suite of marketing automation tools that helped me streamline and optimize my marketing efforts. The ability to create personalized and targeted campaigns, coupled with in-depth analytics, allowed me to drive meaningful engagement with my audience. While there was a learning curve and the pricing could be a potential hurdle for some businesses, my overall experience with Marketo Engage was successful. It proved to be a valuable asset in enhancing my marketing strategies and achieving measurable results.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about Marketo Engage was its comprehensive set of marketing automation features. It offered robust tools for creating and managing marketing campaigns, including email marketing, lead nurturing, and customer segmentation. The ability to automate workflows and personalize content based on customer behavior was highly beneficial. The platform also provided detailed analytics and reporting, allowing me to measure the effectiveness of my campaigns and make data-driven decisions. Overall, Marketo Engage empowered me to deliver targeted and engaging marketing experiences to my audience.

Cons

While Marketo Engage had many strengths, one aspect I liked least was the learning curve associated with the platform. As a powerful marketing automation tool, it required some time and effort to fully understand and utilize its capabilities. The initial setup and configuration process could be complex, especially for users with limited technical expertise. Additionally, the pricing structure of Marketo Engage could be quite high, which might be a drawback for small businesses with limited marketing budgets.

Emanuela

My experience with Marketo

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

We are using Marketo across the whole organization to improve and automate our marketing activities. We are using it at corporate level as well as in each operation (US, UK, DACH, France, Italy, APAC, etc). We improved ability to attract new leads and the engagement of visitors on our website.

Pros

- Workflow: the logic behind the workflows allows to automate manual activities
- Lead gen: we improved the engagement of the visitors on our website and we manage the entire lead generation process on Marketo integrated with our CRM.
- Programs: it is easy to create and manage emailing and nurture programs with the ability to set rules when the email should be sent.
- Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.

Cons

- Integration with Dynamics: after 3 years we still have some issues on the integration with MS Dynamics... the 2 systems are not well integrated.
- Support: sometimes we had some issues with getting quick replies from support.
- Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page).

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

Marketo - great marketing automation for larger marketing teams.

Reviewed on 2018/09/20

When going through the demos & getting pricing from the Sales team make sure to fully understand their pricing. They've changed their pricing model in the past 18 months to be more a la carte so some features you may really like are additional costs. Depending on the size of your database this can start to really add up.
Marketo is not suitable for small marketing teams as it requires a ton of set up time & ongoing work to fully leverage its capabilities.

Pros

Easy to track different engagement programs at every stage across multiple steps.
Robust criteria for building lead nurturing.
Like their lead scoring feature - great way to segment leads based on how they interact with you.
Their real-time personalization feature is impressive. Great feature once it's configured correctly.

Cons

The email builder is pretty basic.
Leveraging the full capabilities requires a full-time internal resource.
Steep learning curve. We needed to invest in a Marketo specialist to help with integration.
Marketo is super expensive & that's before taking the extra cost of hiring a Marketo Specialist to help with implementation.

Caroline

Features aren't worth the difficulty

Reviewed on 2021/11/22

I had a negative experience working daily in Marketo for 6 months. I'm sure it's useful for some companies, but the average business can't possibly make it work for them.

Pros

Marketo has a huge amount of features, like very specific reporting, integration with various platforms, robust list building, and more. I managed a very large volume of interconnected campaigns on Marketo, and it was pretty effective at doing whatever we needed to, once we figured it out.

Cons

There is a higher learning curve with Marketo than any other of the many email marketing platforms I've used in my experience. Clients were never, ever able to handle it on their own. It sucked up a lot of my time, which would not be the case for a platform like MailChimp. Marketo has more capabilities, but it's not practical for the average business to manage. There are many, many things it cannot do that are pretty standard on other platforms: adding emojis to emails, not crashing constantly, effective merge fields, having flexible templates, communicating what errors are when something doesn't work, etc. It caused much, much more trouble than it was worth. I don't even have confidence that the data we pulled from it was accurate either.

Rachel
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Makes Small Teams Seem Big

Reviewed on 2017/12/20

The Marketo community is great and one of the highlights of working with this software. The support is robust and effective. While the aesthetic aspects of the forms, landing pages, and emails leaves something to be desired, it is more than made up for in overall functionality.

Pros

We have a really small marketing team, but we are able to create quality, complex nurture streams easily with Marketo. It also gives us valuable insight into who is engaging with our website and our emails. We couldn't imagine running our marketing with anything else.

Cons

While the functional aspects of Marketo are great, they are lacking in some areas like form design and ease of use for designing emails and landing pages. They have tried to improve all three but continue to fall short compared to other tools. You will have to have someone who knows how to do some basic coding if you want to go beyond their most basic templates.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

The Big Boy of Marketing Autumation

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Overall - Marketo was killer! Onboarding was great and support with issues was helpful. My biggest advice would be to maximize their time on site by building funnels you actually can use!

Pros

Marketo allows you to automate anything. Whatever action you want to trigger from - you can. We were a large publishing group sending millions of emails each month. We needed ways to segment and identify the exact user we wanted. Marketo gave us those tools to do that quickly and easily!

Cons

Some of our team struggled to understand some of the terms and systems. It came very quick to some of the team and slower with others. I mention this because it seemed more like a mental block than ignorance. I also felt like we needed a developer to help make the dreams happen. It was just outside of our skillset so we needed some extra hands in the early days making all the connections perfect.

Efficient tool for marketing automation!

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

We've found so much success since implementing Marketo. We are able to track and report on our sales campaigns, which allows us to continually improve our content and marketing strategies.

Pros

Once you set campaigns and functionality up in the platform, it's extremely easy to clone programs and logic. Managing lists and contacts is very easy to do and the platform offers pretty helpful reporting tools. The Marketo community is full of great resources and you are always connected to helpful tools to help you better use the platform.

Cons

Email creation can be difficult. How the email looks when you build it can differ greatly from what you see in the preview test send. I've spent a long time tweaking emails in the platform trying to get them to look good, and without templates, it's extremely difficult at times.

Zack
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Multiple Layers of Useful Features, Steep Learning Curve, Ultimately Worth the Price

Reviewed on 2017/11/09

I am in the non-profit space, which generally has too few staff trying to do too many things. When used properly, Marketo increases our capabilities beyond what any of us alone could accomplish through a typical email-blast service. That being said, it takes discipline, time, and maybe even a dedicated personnel resource (internal or external) to get it up and running where it begin to really serve your organization's needs.

Pros

- Options for Customization of Automation Campaigns and Landing Pages
- Extensive Analytical Tools
- "The Sky's the Limit" on how much your marketing team can do with this tool

Cons

- The Email Editor is difficult to use, in my opinion. But if you are comfortable with writing HTML code, you can bypass the drag-and-drop editor. Also, it may not be any more difficult than any other option (I don't have a wide exposure to email builders).
- The learning curve on the whole is steep. If you don't have a dedicated marketing staff person, you may be frustrated by how much time you need to set aside to learn how to use the various tools. But their documentation resources and training tools are very helpful.
- You have to pay extra for full-service tech support.

Julia

Marketing Automation leader, how can you exist without it?

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

We use Marketo to promote all of our content team's materials, promote and track conference and registrations and integrate it across a variety of platforms (Salesforce, Cvent, Outgrow, etc.).

Pros

It's super flexible and can accommodate just about any marketing automation request I receive. I've been using it for a couple years now and have made hundreds of programs to send emails, create landing pages, gate content, monitor and implement events registration and once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. The learning curve can feel a little steep at times, but their in-person onboarding is a welcome training.

Cons

I feel like they've grown so much that their CSMs can't keep up. Our last one rarely knew the answers to our questions and would push us to support all the time. Support usually could solve our problems, but they take a little longer to respond (about a day). If you can live with that, then you're golden.

Steven
Steven
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

First platform for marketing automation

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

When we used Marketo it was functional for what we were looking for but also a bit sterile. There also seemed to be a level of IT knowledge needed to use the software effectively. Overall though, we were able to distribute targeted email blasts and the analytic and reporting portions of Marketo were very helpful in analyzing the data.

Pros

The software allowed us to easily collect information, group it and send out targeted marketing blasts to the recipients. The drag and drop interface worked very well and allowed us to implement some logic into the queries we ran to extract the data. We were also able to schedule email blasts so that we did not send out too many at one time overloading our targeted audiences.

Cons

When we first used Marketo we sometimes had issues with URLs working correctly when copied into the email templates. Also when the software first came out we felt it was a bit technical where we could not just assign a marketing person to plan, create, and implement an email blast. The marketing person had to work with someone who had an IT background (our product management team at the time was full of such people). This lead to email blasts being done by the product managers or someone else in the product management team.

Marketo Engage for Online Education Marketing

Reviewed on 2022/11/09

Overall, it provides our marketing team with options to move their leads through the enrollment funnel, but, I wouldn’t recommend to a team with limited coding experience. Customer support can be hit or Miss with copy and past article responses that may not answer your question, but working directly with your CSM when a case is submitted provides for faster resolution.

Pros

The ability to control specific Al details and changes within campaigns that guides lead pipeline and advertising behavior.

Cons

Powerful analytics tools - leaves much to be desired. Also, must landing page template building capabilities for a marketer may require someone with at least a moderate understanding of HTML.

A powerful tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

Marketo has an unbelievable amount of functionality that allows us to manage our leads and easily automate and track success of all our marketing campaigns. We have been able to add more levels of tracking and logic to our campaigns than we were able to do with our previous marketing automation tool. There is probably so much that I haven't yet discovered but am looking forward to finding out as I continue to use the tool more. The customer support and user support portal have been very helpful for us in finding solutions to our challenges, as there is so much functionality and sometimes so many ways to do 1 task that it's helpful to get advice on which is the best way to do it. I'd highly recommend Marketo!

Cons

Because there is so much functionality (atleast compared to the automation tool we used to use), there was a steep learning curve for our team but the customer support was really helpful in getting us over this curve.

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Marketo's a fantastic tool to consolidate all our ads efforts

Reviewed on 2023/08/08

Marketo's truly a must-have if you have ad operations spread out over many channels. It brings together all your data to give you a fullstory view, it makes it much much easier to launch ads from one platform, and it produces great-looking charts to boost decisin-making. A great tool overall

Pros

Marketo's campaign analytics features are great. It can handle large volumes of campaign data without stuttering, and can easily chart tables with a dozen custom metrics

Cons

The interface is very fresh. It doesn't tak elong at all to get to grips with it. I was able to start using it confidently in less than two weeks