1 145 reviews

1 145 reviews
Amir S.

The best Presentation App

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

It is one of the great application from Microsoft that developed and optimized over the years and now it is available for everyone, in different level of knowledge.

Pros

I tried this app on different project and occasions. It is very easy to set it up and create a module for each project and customize it.
Very easy to add different components, like Audio, Video, Gant chart or Excel tables.
I also use it for reporting, which makes it very easy to create a template and change it based on the needs.
And the last part is that can be exported to PDF, when you need lower size file to email it to clients/team.

Cons

I didnt really have a major issue with the app. But I noticed that with a heavy video files, it might be not as easy for evryone to shrink the video and reduce the size of the PPT.

Gio J.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to access project tool.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/01/07

I use Microsoft's Project to track the individual items that I need to manage for a major project. The best parts of MS Project are that it evolved into the easiest to use Gant chart generator out there. My personal business calls for me to track several programs at one time and as an Instructional Designer/Architect, I tend to "chunk" projects into smaller, easier to accomplish bites. The Project lets me do that and helps me track my progress in completing the chunks of the larger project that I have to complete. I like that the interface allows me to enter the data about the project into what looks like a spreadsheet. The software then generates a Gant chart and helps me track where I might have finished ahead of schedule or where I might slip if I don't pay attention.

My main gripes about MS Project involve a lack of flexibility. I can't easily rename column headings because they're locked into Microsoft's view of what a project should look like. This is only a minor annoyance. That said, at times I often expect MS Project to behave more like MS Excel where I can manipulate and edit cells with ease, which you can't because the columns are locked to function only one way. Finally, I would like to have row separators that let me know where one project ends and another begins. I do this because I'd like to have a tool that lets me view all my projects in one place. Changing dates is also an annoyance because the date fields always default to the point in time in which you started the project and so if you expect the date fields to default to "today's date", you might have to make adjustments. It would be nice if the date defaulted as expected (today's date).

Tips:
1. You can roughly rename the titles of cells, but the contents will always function according to the locked nature of the cells.
2. If like me, you want to track multiple projects in one MS Project file, simply color code the different projects with the cell highlight function.

Pros

1. Ease of use
2. Fast data entry
3. Visible Gant chart

Cons

1. Columns are locked to function only one way
2. Date fields don't default to today's date
3. No means to separate one project from another

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Abraham C.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Microsoft PowerPoint - By Abraham Chongkit

Reviewed on 2020/02/16

So far my overall experience with MS Project is a little more unique then expected and I would probably prefer more clarification on its compatibility and uses from Microsoft and their retail agents around the world before purchasing. The installation was pretty straight forward and I have not had any issue in regards to the application functionalities, and features. However, it did take me long to learn how to use MS Project and I would probably suggest that the help and instructional features could be adjusted to accommodate other users similar to my situation.

Pros

The great thing I like most about MS Project is that it's interface is quiet similar to that of other MS Office products, such as MS Excel. This familiarity gives me the confidence that the product I am about to use, is very similar to other MS Office products that I use on a daily basis. MS Project integrates well with Office 365 which allows me the space that I need to work remotely from anywhere when I'm outside the office, at home or sitting at a cafe having coffee while working on a task. Even when there is no internet connection, MS Project still works perfectly offline because it is a desktop application after all and your files are stored locally which allows ease of access when you need them. In addition to the user friendly interface of MS Project and its well designed features, I also love the built in templates that come with MS Project which is ready for use when I need it. The various templates have different themes and natures which gives you the flexibility to chose from according to the task you are trying to accomplish.

Cons

The least thing I liked about MS Project is that it took me a while to get used to the menus, and features such as the interface when i first started. It took a lot of practice and further research on how to use the product faster and efficiently because my first impression is that MS Project was not really user-friendly at the beginning. I think MS Project is a bit expensive and you need to plan and make an effective decision before you purchase the full license, and the reason I say this is because if you're a small business with a small budget then you can only afford a handful of user licenses, which means if your business will scale up in the future, then you have to purchase more user licenses to accommodate growth. Another con with MS Project that I found out is that it is only compatible with computers installed with the Windows operating system and you need to install the full licensed version to start using the full features of the application. I normally work remotely and I need an application that is compatible with other mobile devices such as android, apple iOS and Linux. I am unsure if MS Project can accommodate under these circumstances according to the application prerequisites and requirements of use for MS Project.

Joshua M.
Industry: Printing

The Project Management Tool for the Microsoft Power User

Reviewed on 2019/04/10

Overall, Microsoft Project does a really good job of allowing experienced project managers to create complex project plans for both large and small teams. The platform offers extensive schedule and resource management - enabling teams to accurately allocate their resources in order to achieve maximum efficiencies. My experience with Project has been positive. I work in a small to mid-sized team that creates implementation plans for customer recommendations. I have enjoyed the synergies that working with other Microsoft tools provides. Furthermore, Project has enabled me to be effective in those pursuits. It definitely takes some time to learn more complicated aspects of the program - but that time and training and can really benefit a team.

Pros

The greatest strength of Microsoft Project comes in the name. Microsoft develops some of the most popular and effective tools for modern businesses. Project integrates extremely seamlessly into the overall Microsoft ecosystem of work. This enables the platform to truly maximize on all the efficiencies created by keeping your work within one platform. Project also does a fantastic job of allocating and scheduling resources. Furthermore, identifying critical paths for a project is relatively straight forward. Project managers can do specific call outs for key steps along the way as well. There are also a lot of additional benefits for project that help the quality of life for anyone in control of a project.

Cons

Project is a complicated piece of technology. While creating initial project plans seem easy, there are so many features of project that not only go unnoticed - but also can be incredibly cumbersome to learn and master. An additional pain point that I have experienced has related to working on multiple project resources while also viewing the Gantt chart. Finally, sharing a project also holds its own difficulties as well - as users must have Project installed on their own device.

Hessel F.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Essential for all users of MS Project who have multiple project files that share common resources

Reviewed on 2018/02/25

The benefits to the organization have been phenomenal!

Prior to the implementation of PPM it was impossible to see what individual team members were doing. The team leaders were 'king' and could do what they liked and when they liked.

Our aim in implementing the product was to preserve existing process but to take the planning and execution of tasks to a new level.

We found it easy to use although there was a bit of a learning curve. We had a challenge on implementing as, for some reason, there was a bug in MS Project. It took about six months to stabilize the site but once it was stable, the problem didn't return. For those who are interested, in our case it was due to not having service pack 2 installed.

The challenge once we started using it, was to get management to appreciate the fact that accurate, real time reports could be generated and that they would be of immense benefit to them. It took a while until they realized it but once they did, the idea took off and requests flowed in for more views (reports) showing different aspects of the data.

We use the product to track tasks of resources located outside the IT division which was also an innovation that needed time to be absorbed. The philosophy had always been that the team leader was assigned the task and that he/she would delegate it to the team members. With the browser version, resources could see their tasks, update % complete and the project manager could instantly see what was happening. This turned team meetings into shorter, more focused events as there was no need to review tasks.

Pros

I like the way you can use it for managing resources.

It is very easy to assign resources to multiple projects and to see resource assignments and resource capacity.

I use resource assignments in PPM to report project progress and I find the reports easier to understand and more meaningful that the reports that generated in standalone MS Project.

I also use this resource assignment ability to slice and dice data so that I can see slipped tasks, tasks that have not started, tasks with no deadlines, grouped tasks per release etc. The sky is the limit!

The web-based facility means that resources can see their tasks without needing to have MS project installed on their computers and they also don't need to have any knowledge of MS Project. This makes it easy to deploy in a big organization where there may be budget constraints.

Cons

It hasn't kept the pace with competitor projects and the various new releases don't differ substantially with previous ones.

Here are a few things I don't like. I know it asks for only one, but I'd like to share some of the challenges.

* You can't send messages to resources from within tasks
* There is no place for discussion in a task apart from Notes, which are cumbersome and you can't then search for text in the note.
* You can't sort the list of files backed up. That makes restoring files a bit of a challenge as you need to be really careful before you restore a file.
* After all this time, the product is still not stable and there are still intermittent bugs to which there don't seem to be any solutions.
* the filter capability of the views is limited and you can't use brackets.

Hani V.

enterprise project management (EPM) system

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

Microsoft project is a famous and old tool for planning and controlling projects. I’ve used MSP in different IT and construction projects. It has almost all the necessary features for a project team. Project scheduling, cost management, resource management, risk management and portfolio management are some of its features. Also Earned value management (EVM) provide different Indicators for project evaluation. You could add custom field and formula to project based on your requirements.
For a year we implement this Microsoft solution on SharePoint site and we use it as an enterprise project management (EPM) software. It use SQL Server as database. Network project management was a great new experiment. In project web app (WPA) you could define different access level for project team and assign task to them. We also use Microsoft power BI and power view for designing charts and diagram to control the project status. It is also possible to use Microsoft Nintex as a workflow engine to implement simple processes on your team.

Pros

As a Microsoft tools it has a great integration with other MS solution as name above, but it’s hard to integrate with externals apps.

Cons

MSP is a classic project management tools that support different standard for project management, like PMBoK. But it’s not a tool for agile project management such as Scrum and Kanban.

Quratulain H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Organise projects, manage portfolios and projects

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

If you need Planning Software that gives you visibility into real world timelines, then you cannot go wrong with MS Project. It plans for you as you add in resources, deadlines, holidays, etc. The more information you provide, the better it will be.

Pros

This is my go to tool for project management. I love how easy it is to plan projects within it. I can interconnect other projects so they will update accordingly and do combined reporting.

Project scheduling is the best in the industry.

The reports are still a little clunky however, they give the information you need for senior management and/or decision making.

I can add some of my own programming to it to get desired visuals etc.

Cons

Its not easy to integrate this into sharepoint or to make the software email other team members on tasks due on them. I know its there but i havent done this as yet. The KB and/or training is not easily available. I also wish there was an easy way to do cost management within the project(s)

Craig P.

Track your progress with MS Project

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pros

We use MS Project for progress tracking and scheduling. MS Project allows you to set timelines, track schedules and view/add items that need to be completed before you can move on to the next phase of your project. As things slip, you can adjust your project schedule to accommodate for those changes. Without MS Project, our company wouldn't be able to function without knowing where each project is at and we wouldn't be able to make the informed adjustment decisions as a project schedule slips or speeds up. Also, the ability for us to create project templates helps us get a project off the ground and we can adjust as needed. There is also functionality of a MS Project server and if you are doing multiple projects/schedules and concurrent accessibility and change management is needed, that might be your way to go with this application.

Cons

There are an abundance of features and options that are not at first intuitive, so having some dedicated MS Project Training is a must. There are some things that MS Project is lacking and from what I have seen the only other option out there to complete some of these lacking tasks is Primavera. When evaluating software, best to compare them both before making your decision.

Richard C.
Industry: Automotive

Another useful tool from Microsoft with the ability to create tasks and add resources to it.

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

Overall I would recommend that app, I have been able to put together a rough draft of a project quicker, saving time stress and can edit it to the likeness of my team quicker. Also, while using the software I have been able to view the project and show the process when asked. This tool helps us to administrate, develop and design projects of our company. Good analytical tool

Pros

This is another useful tool from Microsoft with the ability to create tasks and add resources to it. I love the filtering abilities, I am constantly using them for zooming in on what is critical whether in a meeting or working individually to update the schedule. This app provides you with templates and shortens the time you spend on putting things in place. What is also good is that you can focus on the depth of the information you are sending out rather than throwing something together and it does not appear professional and the information is missed. You can also invite your team into the project as well.

Cons

What I would like is an easier way to set up reports. I like that there are a lot of great features, but they are not as user friendly as some of the other Microsoft Project features. You will need to invest more time in getting trained, because they do look very helpful once you know how to set them up.

Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Solid solution for project management software

Reviewed on 2018/10/18

One can easily learn how to use Microsoft Project in a long weekend, but utilizing the software in conjunction with proven project management methodology is key.

Pros

Microsoft Project brings a lot of the same design mentality present in its other applications such as templates that provide ease of use for new users. A project can be extremely granular and contain a total breakdown of tasks and resources or merely a high level breakdown of major milestones. Once compiled, the data can be broken out into various views for the pertinent project tasks such as timelines and Gantt charts.

Cons

Microsoft Project does have a steeper learning curve than some applications because of the inherent need to understand project management philosophy. You also need to have at least a partially formalized approach to project management otherwise you may find yourself fighting with the software.

Francis P.
Industry: Public Policy

Microsoft Project Review

Reviewed on 2018/06/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Microsoft Project provides interactive dashboards and reporting functionalities. The project managers can also prepare insightful reports and make decisions about project execution and staffing levels. Scheduling features like Gantt charts and prepopulated pulldown menus help reduce training time and simplify the project planning process.

Pros

Easy to use with visibility to chart views makes it easy to plan project deadlines. Like Excel, the columns and rows are simple to add. With this product, the project can be easily manage. The chart views are useful for presentation and report. Another good feature is timeline feature. With that, one can project the duration and tasks.

Cons

MS Project is not compatible with Mac OS. It is only compatible with Windows OS. It is expensive. It should be part of MS Office suite. It can be difficult to use if you are not familiar with the product. Training is a must.

Darrus L.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Managing multiple projects

Reviewed on 2018/07/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

MS has not been terribly clear about their current direction forward as it relates to PM software specifically. There seem to be multiple products being pursued with no indication as to where long term commitment from MS will be dedicated.

Pros

An extensive feature set and interoperability with other Microsoft productivity programs gives Project the edge. The myriad of ways you can visualize projects/tasks is extremely helpful and facilitates more clear and concise communication about project timelines both up and down the chain of command.

Cons

Project's large feature set also comes with a sizable learning curve for the uninitiated. Training is available but there is little outside of personal support from more experienced colleagues to really convey some of the nuance of using the product.

Alejandro H.
Industry: Telecommunications

There is no better project software than MS Project. maybe intimidating but the best never the less.

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Don't look elsewhere, take a curse and learn how to use MS project and be the best project manager you can be.

Pros

Want o manage a project like a BOSS This is the best, all program, project, task, risk analysis, costs, deviations on time, costs or resources. all you can control all, baseline, GANTT and Kanban displays, reports as you like it. you better take a course or two but once you do it you will manage this powerful tool very well. and if you connect to a Sharepoint/teams platform is another level of organization, not only you are the boss, but also your organization will run the projects so swift you will be amazed.

Cons

Complicated, intimidating, and a little pricey but is all worthy. once you tame this beast you are the master of the projects.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Schedule the task by using MS Project

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

Those who are already using Microsoft Products, you can add MS Project to your Microsoft family to do Project Mangement. My overall experience is good at all.

Pros

Ease of understanding due to simple and attractive GUI is the thing I preferred MS project rather than Primavera and who are already familiar with other MS office can easily understand their functions. Easily can create tasks and organize resources. Each project can easily manage it with the help of the Gantt chart with different colours and can input and output as an excel format.

Cons

Pricing is one of cons which is common for all Microsoft products. When it goes fora high-level administrative works, it has some limitations with itself and when we compared to the Primavera, it was less advanced and limited for some options.

Courtney S.
Industry: Retail
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great platform after learning curve

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

I have had a positive experience with PPM and haven’t found another platform that suites my needs better. I am currently using it to plan a new employee rewards incentive program with my team and it is serving us well!

Pros

PPM has a lot of pros—from automated reporting, templates, project planning, scheduling, timelines, proposals and more it seemingly had every aspect of project planning in one place. The view is esthetically pleasing and is easy for the eye to follow. I also love that there is a cloud based option that easily travels with me and can be shared with my team. Tracking deadlines is so easy and I love that you can build in milestones as a morale boost throughout the project. Saving files is easy too—as PDF or XPS. I highly recommend project online premium for the best functionality.

Cons

There is a major learning curve if you have never used it. If you have used other Microsoft platforms it will feel familiar but after almost a year of consistent use I am still learning about new features. It can be challenging at first, but practice and lots of YouTube tutorials make it possible! If you have time to invest in learning the program top to bottom it will serve you well. If you need a quick “platform for dummies” for short term use I would suggest something else.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Raquel S.
Industry: Retail
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Intuitive tool to track your project

Reviewed on 2018/06/27

Complete view of project portfolio and status

Pros

The native integration with office 365 and powerbi because once you have created your project you can register the progress of your tasks and keep track of the most important kpis for your project and portfolio. You can have a complete view of the status of your project, add risks, milestones, issues, deliverables and customizing to add more information to your project.

Cons

Sometimes the dependence between tasks doesn't work properly when you have already listed the tasks and need to change the dependence

MS Project - Great for project planning

Reviewed on 2019/04/06

Pros

This project is a staple in my work. It can create very clear and detailed scheduled. You can use it to link multiple individual projects into a master project list as well which is very helpful when big picture planning.

Cons

It is not that intuitive and took a little while to figure out all the tricks to making your schedule the best it can be. I took a training course to figure out how to use it but found a lot of the shortcuts and options myself from playing around with it.

Daniel H.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Microsoft Project

Reviewed on 2017/11/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

While it is tried and true, there are a lot of products on the market that are better than Microsoft Project.

Pros

Has a lot of features that as a Project Manager I find very useful. It's often used by many other businesses so we could share mpp files and just plug them in.

Cons

The biggest con that Microsoft Project has is that it lacks the collaborative tools that other Project Management software has. I feel that it's resource planning is severely lacking, and task management notifications are lackluster.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Jeffrey B.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Good for large scale waterfall projects

Reviewed on 2017/07/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

MS Project seems to be geared toward traditional project management styles. Great way to manage large complex projects that you need to check off tasks. On projects with constant change it is not as accomidating.

Pros

Product does integrate with Sharepoint and can share with other staff that do not have Project. Can be used by large teams on waterfall type projects

Cons

Expensive license cost, not cloud based. Hard to share with vendors. Not the best product for agile projects or with progressive elaboration projects.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Oscar W.
Industry: Telecommunications

The clasical Project Management Tool in the market

Reviewed on 2018/05/05

Pros

All is well done, an excellent and powerfull tool from any point of view. A must known tool for all PMs, as it´s easy to find it on any company or the integration using it is a must. Is the most popular tool in this skill area.

Cons

. Cost tool is not well done, currently version opens an excel...a poor solution for tremendous tool
. Risk is not well managed and requires also outside solution
Montecarlo solution not included, needs expeternal like Palisade solftware but an excellent and expensive solution in conjunt for more 2500 usd (life license).
Manage cost like resources, machines, etc is a little complicated.

PPM solution is a good combo, same cons as for PM solution and BI toll integration for free and the chance to easily creation of an app for mobile like input of ideas is amazing

Frank B.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

The standard in Project Management

Reviewed on 2018/04/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This has all the bells and whistles and has long been the standard for project management. Nothing else has come close. There are some SAS programs that are cheaper short term but in the long run you have to keep renting it.

Pros

Manage Time, Money, and Materials easily. Has everything you need to make your project run smoothly. It is what everyone else copies off of.

Cons

Little expensive in the short term but in the long run works out to be cheaper than the SAS solutions out there.

Nathaly B.

It helps me manage my projects, assign resources to tasks, track progress and manage budget

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

It allows me to easily control the finances of my projects, I can analyze and monitor the execution of my projects, I use the graphics section and diagrams to have a better visualization of all the information, I can play with the colors and highlight critical information, allows me to share information, among many other things

Pros

It is very useful to manage projects, it allows me to do project planning, budget management and control, allocation of resources, allows the collaboration of the group of workers involved, allows me to document and makes it easier to take the complexity of a big project because it allows me to create critical routes, string events methodology, Gantt chart and recognize different user classes

Cons

A bit difficult to handle for non-expert users and is a bit expensive, it also only works for Windows platforms

Oshan M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best tool to manage projects efficiently!

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

Easy to maintain daily tasks of the organization without any disturbances.

Pros

There are templates which can help for our work and we can easily create projects which is very simple and basic to manage.It helps me to keep track of our projects ,assign resources and control , reporting and budgeting .It also provide built-in reports which will provide in-detail summaries of the organization.

Cons

Microsoft PPM have basic user interfaces which are not very user attractive and also we have to learn about platform to get efficient results using the Microsoft PPM.

Thamara D.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Another Trusted product from Mircrosoft!

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

A way to control of Projects in an efficiently

Pros

*Able to track milestones.
*Easy to create project with predefined templates .
*Able to create Gantt Charts with a specific end goal to gauge and settle on amend choices to be connected for each situation.
*Have a better follow-up of the tasks .
*Very supportive live reps.
*Trusted product from Microsoft.

Cons

*Look similar view to MS Excel.
*Not very user attractive.
*Can’t Track Time & Expenses.
*Should careful when restore backed up files due to Back up files list can not be sorted.

I have used Microsoft PM for about a year. I use it in my personal and professional organization.

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

I am able to break down every aspect of planning with every project I am working on. It has helped keep me on track, and share ideas with other team members. I am able to quickly discuss tasks and plans because I know where I am every step of the way.

Pros

I am a highly detailed organizer. This program allows me to feed into my OCD and break down every part of my planning, both professionally and personally.

Cons

This program runs great on my desktop and laptop, but doesn't run very well on my other portable devices. It has a lot of features, and this is probably why it runs slow on my phone - but that could be more of a phone issue than a program issue. If you have an older phone, or one that isn't very good - you won't have much luck running this.