Zuora

Commerce, Billing & Finance to Power Subscription Businesses

Getting Better

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

For the first 2+ years, my billing team experienced lot of frustration because it seemed like Zuora had plenty of limitations. Come to find out, they do have limitations, but they are continuously improving and if you have the time and resources you can customize and get a lot out of the billing system.

Pros

The Zuora billing system has grown on me. I attended Zuora's annual conference in 2019 (I highly recommend going) and learned a lot about existing and upcoming features. Zuora's representatives are dedicated to helping my company customize the billing system and recommending best business practices. Zuora is alway improving and adding functionality, so I do expect it to continue to get better and to meet more of my company's billing needs. They also offer "Zuora University" which is a series of online interactive videos that provide a lot of good information.

Cons

Zuora was not easy to use at first and the implementation process was rough. Zuora is not particularly intuitive so it took a lot of trial and error, reading through their help articles, and requesting help from their support team. You have to invest a LOT of time and resources to get the full benefits of the system. My company has also found that we have to purchase additional features in order to improve upon our experience.

Andrea E.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Billing application for subscription based companies

Reviewed on 2018/10/07

Pros

By this app, it is possible to mange several types of billing methods which include Mobile, Online, Recurring and Subscription Payments as well as Invoicing.

Cons

The set up for the integration could not be easy and require more time than expected.

Rachel S.
  • Industry: Accounting

Zuora billing

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

Personally, it's our only software we use at the moment for billing. I believe other functions would be extremely helpful once they become available such as the workflow.

Pros

Our company uses this software daily. We use it to submit invoices, to email out notifications, to set up accounts, etc.

Cons

The things I like least about this software is that it offers much more functions for our day to day process but it cost extra. Support is extremely hard to get in contact with, it would be really nice to have some sort of a chat option. Some of the settings are not accurate.

Shelby M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Implemented this Product for a Start-up

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

My overall experience was great! Once we were up and running I had few questions and the questions I did have were answered quickly and efficiently.

Pros

My first job out of college was a start-up technology company. They had just purchased Zuora and it was my job to implement it. It was a seamless and great experience. The system is intuitive and easy to use despite our implementation specialist (who is no longer there). I was able to teach myself a good amount and use the product daily.

Cons

The reports provided were not exactly what I needed so I was left to create many manual reports. I still obtained the information I needed, but it too longer.

Robust functionality for subscription-based companies of all sizes

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

I streamlined the money we have coming in, viewed more efficiently, and could view data analytics on the projects I was working on.

Pros

I loved how almost everything I and my company wanted to monitor, such as the money we had coming in and the success of certain products within our catalog, were all possible through Zuora. I strongly believe that for businesses that are attempting to scale up or find a more efficient way of managing the money they have coming in, Zuora is the best tool for this.

Cons

I dislike the complexity of Zuora. Many of the features are designed for extremely large companies, so there is a huge learning curve with the software. In addition, it requires many clicks to finally complete an action that I would like, only because there are many layers of complexity.

Megan H.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Zuora is clean and simple to use.

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Pros

The ability to pull customer and data reports is really nice. It's great that you can use the tool with other softwares, as well.

Cons

Zuora lacks customization for individual accounts and isn't completely dummy proof so agents can easily make mistakes.

Brittany D.

Customer Service needs improvement

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

I am not sure I can name a pro of this software. We had a pretty bad implementation and it has not seemed to improved since then.

Cons

Customer service is lacking and professional services hours are extremely expensive. There are no SLA's in place for the support team to get back with you. There integration from Zuora to SF is awful and half of the time the data does not appear.

• Industry: Media Production
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Edge-to-edge platform for subscription business

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

Pros

This platform has integrated billing engine, analytics & insight, marketing automation and pricing tool for SaaS business.

Cons

Free trial period is not enough to understand tools' features. Because it needs more time to integrate.

Pallavi T.

Good tool for Billing

Reviewed on 2016/12/17

Very helpful tool for Billing the Customer and sending the information to customer and maintaining the billing information.

Rosabel Z.

It's good in an overall point of view

Reviewed on 2018/05/27

Pros

It's easy to create reports. Data Source contains most of the objects to create complex reports. When a request is sent to the support team, it is responded in short time. There is plenty of information in the community website.

Cons

I have to create amendments as many as product I need to add or remove. I have to wait 1 min for a bill run to create an invoice. The UI could be more modern. The search engine needs improvement. It takes at least 2 minutes to find a paymet using the payment number.

Ruslan B.

Excellent subscription-based billing platform

Reviewed on 2015/07/08

Pros

Zuora offers a robust and flexible platform, which can meet anyone's needs, from a small mom & pop shopping website to a big corporation, which is trading publicly. They provide outstanding technical and customer support and they will hold your hand until you're finally happy. And once everything is setup, you will not need to think about Zuora setup, it's just doing its work, collecting money, extending subscriptions, calculating MRR, dealing with taxes, sending you reports, etc.

Cons

Learning curve might look too steep, but it depends on your experience with subscription based services.

Andy M.

Very efficient, recurring billing and management software.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Organized and great looking. Once you find a groove in this software, it's pretty easy to use!

Pros

Great looking platform that manages all clients and deals well. Also has in-depth reporting to make sure everything is controlled.

Cons

Can be overwhelming. THere are lots of reports and features that can be hard to use and figure out. Alos the speed of the reporting is a little laggy due to the memory space available.

Daniel C.

Finally

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

Glad to finally have something reliable.

Pros

Zuora is the first billing system that has actually got the job done for us. It fully encompasses our needs.

Cons

While Zuora does meet our needs, it comes at a steep price. Despite pricing, the benefits of having a reliable billing system are worth it.

Brett M.

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

Ethan G.

Probably What I need, but tough to get going

Reviewed on 2016/10/03

We started implementing Zuora in January. 9 months later we are still making little adjustments to get things just right. It works great, and has been helpful to us, but required more than expected to get setup properly.

• Used Other for 1-5 months

Zuora Review

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

Pros

Supports lots of billing models and different pricing structures, billing periodicity, frequency, etc. Has native integrations with Salesforce.com and different payment gateways. User friendly system, well designed for subscription billing. Supports multiply features.

Cons

Expensive pricing structure. Long implementation time.

Andrea M.
  • Industry: Wireless

Great product, terrible data and reports

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Subscription management for b2b customers

Pros

The most customizable in the industry. Great integrations with salesforce.

Cons

Data nightmare. Nothing on the reports and data export side is documented. The company is of little help.
The team provided by Zuora for the integration was very hard to work with.

Jared D.

Great SaaS Billing System

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Overall, we've enjoyed our transition to Zuora and it's saved our billing team so much time.

Pros

Zuora is a great customizable billing system our SaaS company has used efficiently. It has powerful integrations with Salesforce and our other apps so all of our data is integrated together.

Cons

There seem to be many work-arounds we've had to create for scenarios we would expect to be fairly straightforward, such as prorations.

Zack U.

A powerful product

Reviewed on 2015/07/14

Pros

Zuora can do pretty much anything. It has a lot of capabilities when it comes to billing, invoicing, dealing with international currencies, etc. But you definitely have to think in advance about how you *want* to do billing, e.g. is it a per transaction model, a per month model, a per minute model, what happens if there are overages etc. Zuora will let you get as complicated as you want. And sometimes that's too complicated.

Cons

Implementation is non-trivial. It's not like buying an off-the-shelf solution that's plug and play. You have to customize it and you'll need an implementation team. Even if you use Zuora to do the implementation, you need an internal IT-savvy person to lead the project, make decisions and make sure it all makes sense. Zuora can do anything, but you have to decide what it should do in company.

Good tool, but lacks UX enhancements and easy support

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

Pros

What sets Zuora apart is it's ability for revenue recognition and for the more financially integrated pieces required for accounting.

Cons

The tool however can be confusing to use at times and support is not easily accessible. Zuora really needs improvements to their UX to make it more user friendly.

Nabil C.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Reviewed on 2017/03/03

Kamal C.

Billing product

Reviewed on 2016/10/06

Integrating with CPU was difficult, billing only good for subscription products. New CPU zuora app is good for basic use cases only. Not fit for enterprise use cases and CPq functionalities . Product needs a lot of improvement

Kelvin M.

Ok but could be better

Reviewed on 2016/10/06

Not as flexible as I would like. I used it along with Salesforce and I had to do a lot of manual entry. Wish it was more automated.

Alexandra E.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

An excellent application to automate billings.

Reviewed on 2021/03/14

In the company we use Zuora together with our CRM software, the first one provides the second with information regarding billing, such as the renewal dates and from this point our renewal team ensures that our clients in general have a hassle-free renovation experience. In general terms, Zuora's job is to automate billing, update our CRM with information regarding bills, and send the relevant billing notifications to emails.

Pros

Zuora's notifications are undoubtedly one of the best qualities it has, since it allows us to send them via email to all customers who require it, before their renewal date. In addition to this, it has a very good customization capacity, an aspect that becomes crucial when redirecting the original software matrices according to the specific needs of our company. On the other hand, the integration of the software with others in the market is very good, such is the case of our CRM that joins perfectly with Zuora.

Cons

The learning curve within Zuora is very slow, due to the robustness of the software and the different characteristics and potentialities that it possesses, taking this into account, it is necessary to focus on training new users because this point tends to be a challenge. Another fundamental detail of Zuora is its low segmentation with respect to who the emails with the information regarding the billing notification are addressed to, so we can only select the country where they will be sent.

• Used Other for 2+ years

I was a developer/maintainer/admin on this for a number of years at my last company

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

as long as you stay within what the product does out of the box it functions very well for a billing platform. It functions best in a transnational environment but was improving for service oriented billing. It does a good job with making history and audit trails available. Pushing usage data is surprising well handled as is issuing refunds and credits. They also take care of all credit card handling making it one less iso hurdle to clear for a company.

Cons

Customizing this is not an easy task, the API's and the object model behind the scense is not easy to deal with and still kinda buggy. Depending on your charge model, it may be a real pain to implement within the system, for example they allow for tiered pricing but flexibility for setting up plateaued prices and such requires a LOT of initial setup. Recognizing split revenue is also a hassle when outputing to finance software (think a support charge attached to a licensed monthy cloud service). To their credit when I left the position where I was working with them they were getting better so it's possible they are in the process of closing some of these gaps. One last thing is that there is no production matching sandbox, they can refresh a sandbox for a certain snapshot in time (for a price) but in an enterprise environment that is stale moments later plus their sandboxes for some reason have slight implementation differences that come to light when leveraging the API heavily.