ServiceM8

Paul

Service M8, my hero!

Reviewed on 2017/03/18

Help me!

Service M8 is my only hope!

I am a large, robust, and intimidating man, so I am told....

Help me!

Service M8 is my only hope!

I am a large, robust, and intimidating man, so I am told. However, when it comes to Field Service Software, I am very much the quintessential damsel in distress.

I have tried Fleetmatics, Mhelpdesk, Servicebridge, FieldProMax, FSM by Corrigo, and a few others with no success, with nothing to show for it, but less hair on my head and elevated cortisol and blood pressure!

Service M8 has been a godsend for a tiny company such as mine. The software has yet to have any hiccups, and while it doesn't have every single, nit-picky, feature I would like, it does have all the features I need for pennies on the dollar compared to the others.

Something also has to be said about the support from SM8! I am more and more impressed with the level of support provided by Service M8. Whenever I get stuck on something, a simple five minute chat online at anytime of any day results in a solved issue! They have yet to fail to point me in the right direction, or flat out resolve my issue in no time at all. 24/7 click help and at the bottom of the help center screen there is a chat window that is always manned by a courteous and knowledgeable rep, ready to go, and they get you answers!

I liked the software so much, that I, being an avid Android user that has never been of fan of iOS and Apple, made the switch to iOS because Service M8 is strictly available on iOS for the mobile portion, and I have never made a better decision!

It just works! No headaches, no crazy glitches, no blood, no sweat, no tears, except tears of joy as I complete by service calls, invoice my customers, and get paid!

Obi-Wan-Kenobi should take lessons from Service M8!

If you enjoyed my review, click on this link to check them out. Service M8 gives credit for referrals, and it would help me out a bit, but don't let it influence your decision because the credits is not the reason I did the review. I did the review because Service M8 deserves a great big pat on the back, and I believe in given credit where credit is due!!!

Pros

It works! It is simple and easy to use. The support is super stellar!!

Cons

iOS only, no equipment tracking.

Katherine

A must have for trades

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

We have only been using the platform for a month

We have only been using the platform for a month

Pros

- The pricing structure is something that initially drew our attention. Instead of being per user it is a monthly fee (plus add-ons).
- The job scheduling is very easy to use and with a team scheduler add-on you can select multiple team members for the same job.
- the phone app is extremely useful. You can select to text a customer when you are on route (providing you've set it all up before hand).
- You can take payment in the field as well as invoices generating a link that customer's can click on to make payment. Payments are shown in the job diary.
- job diaries are autogenerated so you can see a good audit trail from creation to closure. You can add to existing jobs from the inbox feature.
- the network request add-on is really useful for our business where we use contractors who don't require a logon to our system but complete jobs on our behalf. We have set our templates up with forms and questions that need completion and when these are done it shows up on our portal which says time having to manually enter data in from emails.

Cons

- Sometimes the navigation functions can be time consuming. It would be handy to raise a job from within the client module window (i.e. when you open a client you can view current and past jobs but you cannot raise a new one and therefore have to go to dispatch board).
- It would be good to have a shortcut to raise a new job on the main menu rather than having to select dispatch board.
- the asset scanning only appears to work with purchase stickers from ServiceM8 (unless we haven't discovered correctly how to do this with other ones...)
- It is limited to IOS so we have had to purchase iPad minis to sync with our android devices.

Reasons for Switching to ServiceM8

cost and functionality against other providers
Lauren

Needs More Customer Focus For Future Improvement

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

Overall it has great features but lacking one major feature for us which would cut down our admin time for invoicing and that is batch invoicing. Customer service unable to help with timelines for this upgrade or indication if it will be implemented?

Pros

Stability in remote areas where signal is poor, Servicem8 holds up and we've tried them all

Cons

Invoicing more than one job for one client during the month, no ability to combine jobs into one invoice? Feature requested in 2012 for batch/bulk invoicing and still nothing....

Guida

Needs Improvement

Reviewed on 2024/01/31

Whilst its been good for the most part it can be very frustrating when illogical things happen and they just throw their hands up and say or well that's just how it works.

Pros

It is easy to use, affordable and customisation of quotes, invoice templates. Has some great features like client reminder emails/sms
Mobile app is great for field techs
Integration with Xero

Cons

Support is via chat only and they often don't know why errors/issues occur

Illogical features such as when you reply to a client enquiry in the inbox, all email replies will go to the inbox enquiry regardless of whether you have converted the job. This means manually copying and pasting all correspondence into the job which is a huge time waster

Reoccuring jobs are based on 24 hours not work hours of 8 or whatever your work hours are set to so when booking a job over several consecqutive days its appears in the calendar incorrectly which confuses not only the clients but also field techs. Needs to be changed to work hours for our specific business

Tutorials are often not updated to the curren version of SM8 so can be confusing

Some functions perform illogically

A lack of desire to implement improvements that would benefit many trade business'

Tradify

Reasons for Choosing ServiceM8

Cost and mobile app functionality as well as customisable templates, customer reminder feature

Reasons for Switching to ServiceM8

I wish I had of looked at more alternatives in more detail
Marcus
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Very pleased that we chose ServiceM8 as my work management system.

Reviewed on 2024/02/07

It has been a fairly steep learning curve to get going with ServiceM8 but overall, the experience has been pretty easy. You do have to mould some of your traditional working practices to fit the system, but I'm quite opening to finding newer and more efficient ways of working. There is lots of guidance available and the support team have been great. We've also hade to change from Adroid to iPhone at the same time, as ServiceM8 is only available on iPhone. ServiceM8 have helped with the cost of the change. Without doubt we have selected the most appropriate system. It has transformed the way we work. The efficiency the system has provided has probably halved our admin time.

Pros

It's a completely joined up system and it has streamlined our back office operation. Customers love the notifications when an engineer is enroute.

Cons

We haven't encountered major stumbling blocks with ServiceM8. The only criticisms are that it is not as intuitive as I would have imagined and integration with Google Calendar could be better (an issue with Google Calendar apparently).

Powered Now , Tradify and Fergus

Reasons for Switching to ServiceM8

We looked seriously at three other systems. All had their pros and cons but ServiceM8 stood out with many more features and integrations.
Anita

Great product, so clever yet so simple

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

I love this product - I tell everyone about it because it transformed my business and allowed it to expand! It is so unassuming that it quietly achieves everything you could possibly want at the fraction of the cost of its competitors ( who quite often only do some of what Sm8 can do) without big noise or complicated programming- just effortless and seamless practicality- as you may be able to tell I am a huge fan - I love a great product and Servicem8 is one of them.

Pros

Best feature is the mobile app - we can run our business from our phone on the road - the app is far better than its competitors and means we only need one device on the road - which is way better for our employees who find it tricky and impractical to juggle a phone and a tablet or laptop

Cons

Hmm..only thing I wish it could do was run projects as well that way it would could do everything in our business - progress claims, variations etc. it can do partial invoicing which we find works a treat as a progress claim but for more complicated project based work it may be too simple - but do the trial so you can find out. As this product is not targeted at project building jobs this is more of a dream request than a ' con'.

Response from ServiceM8

Thanks Anita, really happy to hear to that you love ServiceM8.

Project management support isn't on any near horizon but we may improve support for it in the future.

Stuart

ServiceM8 evolutionised our filed services business processes

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

Were we a small business stuck in paper-based processes full of duplication and inefficiency. We explore so many options but found we couldn't afford most of the offerings available and found they didn't match our needs. We had considered expensive customised systems but found they too were stuck in the 19th century way of doing things. We needed a simple, cost effective cloud system to revolutionise our business. We found that in ServiceM8. We now say "How did we get by without ServiceM8?" ServiceM8 has literally revolutionised our business without upfront capital investment, and absent were the huge ongoing expenses of other comparable offerings. We had no need for extensive training because ServiceM8 is so intuitive. We are far more efficient and effective, our access to job records is immediate and available anywhere, to all staff, yet our data is safe and secure. We also make use of external contractors and ServiceM8 even ensures they are managed well. Best of all ServiceM8's pricing structure guarantees significant ROI without doubt.

Pros

Simple, easy and effective. Plus the price - perfect for us!

Cons

No system can suit all customer preferences, so there are a few things we would change, but otherwise ServiceM8 is terrific and can't be faulted.

David

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

ServiceM8 is very good we have used it for years and have recomended it to other trades. We were using paper and phone calls for job dispatch before we started using servicem8. We understood business and new how to run efficiently so we were only prepared to choose a system that enhanced our ability and not overcomplicate matters. We chose it over several other field service software providers, and we havent looked back.

Pros

it is very easy to use, it is extreamly cost effective. It is powerful. it is easy to make it work the way that suits your individual needs. Field staff use it instinctivly with very little training generally half an hour and in some cases staff just start using it with almost no training and just the odd question now and then. Our customers are impressed with how professional a tradesman in the field can be using serviceM8 on the iphone, especially when they get emailed the invoice while we are still on site.

Cons

there is no specific parts of servicem8 that we dont like.

Sean
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Very easy to use job management software. Easy to pick up on the fly and get new staff up to...

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

The ability to streamline a small business with this software ensure that small business that implement Servicem8 will see an uptick in productivity and also regain time they previously spent on managing their business using paper/older systems.

Pros

It provides small/medium size business an affordable job management solution. The software is constantly evolving and new features are being added and expanded upon. For people who are after an easy to use quoting, invoicing and job management software, it's hard to look past Servicem8.

Cons

Some of the features such as badges are a bit basic and feel like they could be fleshed out more. I've no doubt this will happen over time though.
iOS only for the phone apps leaves the android market out in the cold. Would love to see the software expand onto the android platform as well.

Rob

With so many customers ServiceM8 ensures my company is always professional and technology...

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Pros

When customers call me I can answer them by name. This is such a powerful tool and it builds customer loyalty through the roof, as they are just amazed that I remember them. Customers miss this personal contact that other companies fail so bad on. Taking credit card payment on your phone is a close 2nd but IOS contact hits the home run.

Cons

Can't create short cuts. I have a lot of repeat business and wish I could just click one button to create a new job that replicates everything from the old job. I could then adjust pricing and book it in for the next service. At the moment there are too many key strokes and you need to be careful not to forget anything. Please look into this as I'm sure I can't be the only one out there who would love this to happen.

Danielle

Lots to like..but when you find issues, you will be ignored by ServiceM8

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

Overall, the software is pretty good; it covers a lot of ground and addresses a few of the pain points. There are glitches and no software is perfect but that's not really our issue. Our problem is the lack of customer service you receive when there are issues.

Last year, over the space of 6 weeks we had 92 duplicate jobs appear in our calendar. Confused the team and was a tedious pain to find & remove them all. I reported and also asked if we could have these jobs removed from our billing as we're on a legacy pay per job plan.

Their first response had a suggested solution - it didn't work, it instead created more duplicates and I was told that one of our staff must have created the duplicates....considering the staff they accused was on site with my husband working at the time, with her phone in the car, I know it wasn't her. We were told it had been passed on to the development team and they'd let us know. That was in November 2020.

Since then the only contact I've had was after I complained every 2 weeks that we'd heard nothing and more duplicates were being created. Emails go unanswered. Messages to live chat got the templated 'it's with the development team' answer and I never heard back about billing. We ended up taking the long way and solved it ourselves by deleting every recurring job & setting them all back up. Then rearranged the calendar to fit in the 92 duplicate jobs. PITA

If customer service is important to you, this is probably not the app for you.

Pros

- Integrates with Xero...limited merge fields but enough to make it work
- GPS & time tracking
- Service reminders

Cons

- Zero followup or support when reporting glitches
- Dispatch board gets very buggy and sometimes won't render correctly on desktop
- On the CRM side, you need to memorise where you can edit things without it glitching e.g. you can't change payment terms via editing a client found in global search, updating a client doesn't update the recurring job - you need to also update the template...double handling, if you try to edit/add contacts or change their role from the client page it will fail to pull these into a new job.

Amy
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great program, easy to use and a helpful support team

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

The program is great, and relatively easy to use, when I couldn't figure out something or asked if the program is able to do a particular thing, support is always willing to help. Answers are not always within the hour or a few hours but that is understandable. I just wished that I switched from reckon to MYOB at the same time I started servicem8 as the duplicate materials and customers were a huge pain. But I have no doubt that it would have gone smoothly if it was all set up at the same time, as it is running fine now that I have sorted the duplicates and understood more about how servicem8 syncs with MYOB.

Pros

that I can work on this for almost everything (except purchase orders) then when the invoice is sent, its over to myob to receipt everything. Also the job costing charged per job is great, however some months we could have lots of small jobs which add up to be an expensive month and other months there are a lots of larger jobs so it evens out over the period.

Cons

it doesn't do purchase orders yet! also some little issues about how it syncs with myob eg, I can't receipt payment in servicem8 then send to myob and be automatically ticked off in the bank feed in myob, if i didn't have the bank feed in myob it would be fine. I have now decided to sent it to myob for all receipting of payments, and it comes back to servicem8 and is noted as paid when it does get paid anyway.

Hamlet

Best CRM for Startup Companies

Reviewed on 2017/02/10

When we started our company back in 2014, I researched for a CRM for a span of 4 months. I was looking and searching almost daily, for hours at a time. Tested a lot of the CRMs, and by far, ServiceM8 was the top choice.

ServiceM8 is great out of the box, but has many useful add-ons that are both useful and easy to add.

The cost is very economical, especially in those first few months/years when you don't have that much biz coming in. You get charge only 50 cents per job, but the first 20 jobs are free! This is amazing for a startup.

The GUI is very user friendly, slick, modern, and it works.

They have an iPhone and an iPad app.

They allow for a lot of customization.

They have so many features that I suggest you simply go to their website to take a look. We're staying with this company long term and are so happy that we found them.

Pros

easy, modern, ios app, functional, so much more.

Cons

for non ios users, they won't be able to use the app.

Andrew `

service m8 review

Reviewed on 2016/08/22

overall the system has improved our job visibility and implementation has been a success. I feel the developers are too focused on adding new features rather then improving the existing ones. There are numerous, well lets say quirks to the software that are not being dealt with.

Pros

this software has allowed us to add photos ect to our invoice for our client. It has also allowed us to keep a time/date record of job completion times to assist with any client enquiries. syncs invoicing with accounting software eg MYOB, ZERO

Cons

Online support is time consuming. Annoying quirks in the software detract from its usability and time saving features. Reporting Is absolutely rubbish needs massive improvement no way to track simple data like quote conversion rates ect. More focus is needed on improving the current software rather then adding new features.

Will

The most versatile and customisable scheduling software

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Love this software, and the help desk is very helpful. There is a great library of help information too.

Pros

The forms add in with the ability to create forms that generate PDFs that attach to individual jobs - perfect for SWMS / pre-start checklists and other compliance documents. Very fast and responsive. The app is great and invoicing is a lot more versatile than with other systems since you are able to set up templates for emails, SMSs, invoice/ payment claims, quotes - anything can be customised.

Cons

Slightly clunky client input system, that allows only two contacts to be visible on any given job. It also inverts the name of clients rather than just storing it the way you entered it into the system. So John Smith will be stored as Smith, John. This is problematic with company names, but it's not a big deal in the end because you can go in and change it back, it's just a little inconvenient.

Shem
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Amazing App! A must have for any service delivery business!

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

This system entirely runs my business from start to finish and makes life very easy. Amazing app, features and great tech support.

Have recommended it to many and will continue to do so.,.

Pros

Features are best in market - the servicem8 team are flexible with feedback and implementing ideas from users. If ideas get enough votes / popularity then they get attention and often implemented. Creating a fantastic feeling of inclusion in the app and ability to have an affect on the app you use.

Cons

No video support in app and also diagram drawing on iPhone should be available. No support for non iPhone users with android app.

Jade
  • Industry: Accounting

Free time for serviced based industries

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

After being a ServiceM8 user and loving the efficiencies a plumbing based business gained we became a partner so we could spread the word and help other businesses. There is nothing better than seeing the relief on a business owners face and their demeanor change when they realize they can run a business without having to spend all night doing the invoicing. By streamlining their workflow and enabling them to invoice on the job - as well as collect payment from customers on the spot it reduces a lot of the daily stress of running a small business.

Pros

Ease of use, workflow automation, price, new functionality always being released.

Cons

Reporting is a little light on but improvements are coming soon.

Graham
  • Industry: Hospitality

Terrific app

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

ServiceM8 has helped us organise our work. We have become much better at organising our limited resources, our response times are shorter, our record keeping is better and we present a more professional image to our customers, suppliers and staff.

Pros

The dispatch board. Improved record keeping for clients and jobs. Staff scheduling and tracking. organising of work.

Cons

Not being able to edit job times.

Response from ServiceM8

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your review! Good news, it's possible to edit job times as of the March 2016 release. Check out this help article for how - https://support.servicem8.com/hc/en-us/articles/208183176-How-to-Edit-Check-In-Data

Cheers,

Darren

David

Excellent Value for Money

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

I was recommended this software but as I was using android base hardware it put me off so I tried a few other software program's without any success and a lot of money out of my pocket.
I eventually tried Service M8 and adapted the IPads to my business and have not looked back.
I can only say why did I not use this earlier.
It now has streamed lined my business and we have formed a strong structure in moving forward and having the capabilities of growing to meet the our customers needs.
This has become a great asset which is promoted through my Company's profile and commitment to my existing and future clients.

Pros

The ease of operation and live up to date information.

Cons

Not being able to open up multiple jobs at once and also when a job is open it need to be bigger to see more of it on the screen

Ben

ServiceM8 - It's just plain GREAT!

Reviewed on 2017/03/28

I've been using ServiceM8 for a couple of years now - gradually introducing features into our business. Everytime we start using a new feature, I find productivity goes up - while time to complete tasks goes down.

The automation and integration of everyday tasks, means I spend less time working, more time with the kids, and overall am less stressed about the day to day operation of the business.

It's cost effective - and considering you really only pay for things as you use them (ie. Bill a client for a job, pay for a job in ServiceM8) - it would have to be the most cashflow efficient tool you could implement.

Customer support is brilliant, and overall I really think that ServiceM8 is GREAT!!!

Pros

Read the review - it speaks for itself!

Cons

No issues at all!

Joshua

Amazing Tool for Small Business!

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

ServiceM8 is a must for project/job tracking. My business has used ServiceM8 for over 3 years, and I cannot image a day without it.

The best part, it's affordable- pay for what you need, and forget what you don't. Quickly add new features with the click of your mouse.

Excellent features, works seamlessly with Quickbooks Online!

Pros

- Compatible with Quickbooks Online
- Super Easy to Use
- Cost Effective

Cons

- Job diaries cannot be exported easily
- More customizable to other business types, like web designers, etc.

• Industry: Building Materials

Customer service is horrendous

Reviewed on 2022/01/18

If you run into a problem, you cannot count on ServiceM8 to help you. Their customer service is horrible and they don't have a phone number to contact. They have put my business on hold because of an issue with their product.

Pros

Has most features that are necessary for a trade business.

Cons

Templates for quoting and invoicing ARE NOT easy to set up for personalised ones. You cannot on charge credit card fees.

Sam

Happy customer

Reviewed on 2019/04/09

The main thing I appreciate about Service m8 is the way it allows me to stay organised with lots of jobs; past, present and future. I don't use the scheduling/staff tracking aspects, although other electricians I've put on to service m8 do & love it. It's also very well priced and the customer support is amazing

Pros

Logical layout, easy to use, customer support has always been great

Cons

Not a huge fan of the app layout, prefer using the desktop version

Briana
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Perfect for our needs

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

We've already seen an improvement in job tracking. If a technician can't make it to a job on time we see that happening in real time and can reschedule with the customer and they never feel like they've been forgotten about. We've also seen improvements in scheduling and timesheet tracking. We do much less double booking and it's easy to fix if a tech forgets to clock out before leaving for the day. Overall we've loved how well it works in helping us to do our jobs better and take care of our customers.

Pros

The ease of use. The interface is very intuitive and easy to see things at a glance. Extremely easy to get our field technicians trained on it and they loved it the same day. A vast improvement over the old software we were using.

Cons

Two things I'd like to see improved about this software and then I don't think there'd be anything I don't like. I'd like to see a GPS timestamp of where our field techs are when they clock in and out of a job. Second I'd love if the job number from servicem8 did not overwrite my existing invoice number sequence in quickbooks but I'm not sure that's a quickbooks problem or a servicem8 problem.

Vivian

Great online software program

Reviewed on 2016/08/15

After a long search for a service program we decided to try out ServiceM8. It integrates well with Xero accounting package. We have saved a huge amount of time using ServiceM8 on our mechanic's phones - rather than paper forms. OHS forms are easy to use. Scheduling is simple. We only pay for the jobs we use - so very economical.

Pros

Ease of use. Minimal training required for mechanics. Keeps great track of time spent, items used, and work done. Pictures can be saved on the jobs for future reference. Support team is very quick to reply to emails if we are ever unsure how to use something. Price is great compared with other software on the market.

Cons

Only supports Apple products. No purchasing through this program, so accurate job costing is a bit lacking.